Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-04-17, 11:47 AM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Public/private school breakdown by city

Cleveland.com today has an article and a chart that shows what percentage of the children in all of Ohio's cities are attending public school and what percentage are attending private school.

http://www.cleveland.com/datacentral...n_enrolle.html

Very interesting numbers. Number 1 city in the state for private school attendees...UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS...49%...upscale Jews and Catholics being served by a public school district (CL. HTS/UNIV HTS) that has shown, in recent decades, that they aren't all that interested in servicing the upper end of the performance spectrum.

Number 2...Willoughby Hills...47%. Again, an upscale city being served by a school district (Willoughby/Eastlake) that is more middle/working class.

You can read the entire list in the article. These are the cities with 20% or more of their children attending private schools:

Avon 22.8
Beachwood 28.7
Cheviot 39.6
Cincinnati 20.3
Cleveland 21.2
Cleveland Heights 28.1
Delphos 27.9
Euclid 21.8
Fairview Park 26.2
Highland Heights 20.0
Indian Hill 32.9
Lyndhurst 25.8
Mansfield 31.9
Munroe Falls 28.1
North Royalton 21.2
Norwood 78.7 21.3
Parma 23.4
Parma Heights 27.6
Pepper Pike 31.3
Rossford 23.8
Seven Hills 35.2
Sharonville 25.6
Springdale 20.0
Steubenville 26.3
Strongsville 21.7
University Heights 48.8
Westlake 21.0
Willoughby Hills 46.6
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-17, 11:53 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
10% in Medina is surprisingly high... same with almost 22% in Strongsville

17% in Youngstown actually seems low.... then again that doesn't include how many city kids are attending other districts via open enrollment

More interesting might be a chart that shows what percentage of kids in each city are attending their home school vs those attending privates + open enrollments
Old 01-04-17, 12:17 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
No surprise that University Heights tops the list. Solid housing stock + solid religious schools + poor performing public school = mass exodus from the district.

A few that surprise me:

Beachwood 28.7%> Top notch school district that spends big $s per pupil. What this indicates to me are the Hasidim Jews moving into the western part of the city are a growing % of the population as they would never send their kids to public school, instead they attend single sex religious schools that teach the Torah as much as core academic subjects.

Mansfield 31.9%> Where are all these kids going? Not a big city but big enough that you would think 30%+ students heading to private schools would mean for some bigger places than what they have. Are they home schooled? Open enrollment to where?

Pepper Pike 31.3%> Another top notch district that spends big on their schools. This time it is reformed Jews that are sending their kids to elite Prep Schools that the grand parents would never been allowed to sniff back in the day.

Steubenville 26.3%> I thought this was an economically challenged city and the tuition would be a big challenge for most families? That is a large % compared to similar demographic cities like Ashtabula, Warren, and Youngstown that are not on the list.
Old 01-04-17, 01:02 PM
All Region

Bugsy8875 is on a distinguished road
I wonder if those numbers are skewed a little in that there are groups of families that will have their kids enrolled in parochial schools through 8th grade and then go to their local HS. I see it here in Lorain County.
Old 01-04-17, 01:03 PM
All Ohio

Blue Jay Fan is on a distinguished road
Are these numbers for cities only or do they include school districts?
Old 01-04-17, 01:12 PM
All American

Journey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy8875 View Post
I wonder if those numbers are skewed a little in that there are groups of families that will have their kids enrolled in parochial schools through 8th grade and then go to their local HS. I see it here in Lorain County.
That's a big thing in Dover and New Phila too, kids go to St Joes and Sacred Heart and then to Dover & NP High.
Old 01-04-17, 01:16 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy8875 View Post
The data is K-12.

As for what you mentioned...in the 60's, 70's, 80's, it was a common occurrence for Catholics to attend a Catholic elementary and then go onto the public high school...get the Catholic faith basics in elementary school...save the money in high school. These days, at least where I live, if there is going to be a switch after grade 8, it is just as likely that the kid is coming from public elementary and going to Catholic high school as the reverse. Many Catholics these days have so-so opinions of Catholic elementary schools and higher opinions of the high schools. Save the money for high school.
Old 01-04-17, 01:51 PM
All American

Irish60 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
The data is K-12.

As for what you mentioned...in the 60's, 70's, 80's, it was a common occurrence for Catholics to attend a Catholic elementary and then go onto the public high school...get the Catholic faith basics in elementary school...save the money in high school. These days, at least where I live, if there is going to be a switch after grade 8, it is just as likely that the kid is coming from public elementary and going to Catholic high school as the reverse. Many Catholics these days have so-so opinions of Catholic elementary schools and higher opinions of the high schools. Save the money for high school.
You see this trend growing in the Akron area as well. And its increasing. The numbers in several of the Catholic grade schools seem to be decreasing. Now whether that's a demographic change that there are fewer grade school aged kids in the area, or whether there is a larger percentage going to public schools due to economics or whatever, I'm not sure.

I wonder also where in these statistics charter school fall? Also, in the Akron area, there does seem to be a growth in Christian schools, as well. While they have always been present in the area, it seems that schools like Arlington Christian Academy and Emmanuel Christian Academy are seeing a growth in student numbers.

There certainly appears to be a wider variety of educational opportunities for parents to choose from than back in the day.
Old 01-04-17, 03:04 PM
All Yappi

The Butler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jay Fan View Post
Are these numbers for cities only or do they include school districts?
The data is for the city. Cleveland.com has been doing a series of these. Poverty, vehicles per household, etc, for every city in the state.
Old 01-04-17, 07:04 PM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Butler View Post
The data is for the city. Cleveland.com has been doing a series of these. Poverty, vehicles per household, etc, for every city in the state.
That would be an issue comparing different parts of the state to one another. There are some parts of the state where the school district lines significantly deviate from the city lines, and others where they more closely follow one another.
Old 01-04-17, 08:03 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerWildcat View Post
That would be an issue comparing different parts of the state to one another. There are some parts of the state where the school district lines significantly deviate from the city lines, and others where they more closely follow one another.
While the data may imply the quality of the school, the data is about the people and has little to do with school district lines. "Do the school aged children in this household attend public or private schools?"

The data also doesn't cover those that don't live in cities. That's nearly 2/3rds of Stark County.
Old 01-04-17, 08:41 PM
All World

BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
While the data may imply the quality of the school, the data is about the people and has little to do with school district lines. "Do the school aged children in this household attend public or private schools?"

The data also doesn't cover those that don't live in cities. That's nearly 2/3rds of Stark County.
Yeah, this doesn't include your typical suburbs which are still townships. Data from places like Jackson, Lake, and Plain in Stark, and Boardman and Poland in Mahoning just off the top of my head. Bath in Summit as well. Plus, in the case of Plain, which has portions of North Canton and Canton if not more cities, sort of hard to evaluate.
Old 01-04-17, 09:24 PM
All Yappi

hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Cleveland.com today has an article and a chart that shows what percentage of the children in all of Ohio's cities are attending public school and what percentage are attending private school.

http://www.cleveland.com/datacentral...n_enrolle.html

Very interesting numbers. Number 1 city in the state for private school attendees...UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS...49%...upscale Jews and Catholics being served by a public school district (CL. HTS/UNIV HTS) that has shown, in recent decades, that they aren't all that interested in servicing the upper end of the performance spectrum.

Number 2...Willoughby Hills...47%. Again, an upscale city being served by a school district (Willoughby/Eastlake) that is more middle/working class.

You can read the entire list in the article. These are the cities with 20% or more of their children attending private schools:

Avon 22.8
Beachwood 28.7
Cheviot 39.6
Cincinnati 20.3
Cleveland 21.2
Cleveland Heights 28.1
Delphos 27.9
Euclid 21.8
Fairview Park 26.2
Highland Heights 20.0
Indian Hill 32.9
Lyndhurst 25.8
Mansfield 31.9
Munroe Falls 28.1
North Royalton 21.2
Norwood 78.7 21.3
Parma 23.4
Parma Heights 27.6
Pepper Pike 31.3
Rossford 23.8
Seven Hills 35.2
Sharonville 25.6
Springdale 20.0
Steubenville 26.3
Strongsville 21.7
University Heights 48.8
Westlake 21.0
Willoughby Hills 46.6
Uh, Cheviot,Indian Hill,Norwood,Sharonville,and Springdale, are all within 5 miles of the Cincinnati city limits, all basically Cincinnati.Thus you have Moeller,Elder, and Lasalle. Plus 7 or 8 other smaller private schools. Uh, I forgot ST X my bad.

Last edited by hoser; 01-05-17 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-04-17, 09:56 PM
All World

Egad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post

A few that surprise me:

Mansfield 31.9%> Where are all these kids going? Not a big city but big enough that you would think 30%+ students heading to private schools would mean for some bigger places than what they have. Are they home schooled? Open enrollment to where?
St. Peters, Mansfield Christian, or Temple Christian School, if they're attending private schools.

If they're attending open enrollment publics, then likely Madison or Ontario. Maybe Clear Fork, Shelby, or Lucas. I don't think Lexington has open enrollment, but I could be wrong.
Old 01-04-17, 10:31 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egad View Post
St. Peters, Mansfield Christian, or Temple Christian School, if they're attending private schools.

If they're attending open enrollment publics, then likely Madison or Ontario. Maybe Clear Fork, Shelby, or Lucas. I don't think Lexington has open enrollment, but I could be wrong.
Open enrollment or not, they are still attending public school.

And after reading the question again, the survey also includes private colleges and preschools. (Home school is included in private) So I'm not sure what can be derived from this in the context of a high school football forum.

Quote:
At any time IN THE LAST 3 MONTHS, has
this person attended school or college?
Include only nursery or preschool, kindergarten,
elementary school, home school, and schooling
which leads to a high school diploma or a college
degree.
Old 01-05-17, 12:15 AM
All World

ReLoad is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
Uh, Cheviot,Indian Hill,Norwood,Sharonville,and Springdale, are all within 5 miles of the Cincinnati city limits, all basically Cincinnati.Thus you have Moeller,Elder, and Lasalle. Plus 7 or 8 other smaller private schools.
40% of the kids in Cheviot are attending private schools??
That's gotta be a typo (unless the shenanigans at LaSalle are worse than I thought)
Is there another Cheviot in Ohio (not on the west side of Cincinnati) where money trees are being grown?
Old 01-05-17, 12:16 AM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
The one thing that this data shows is that there isn't just one single variable that drives kids to attend a public or private school.
Old 01-05-17, 12:18 AM
All World

ReLoad is an unknown quantity at this point
More kids in Cheviot going to private schools than in Indian Hill or Seven Hills.

Not sure if I should choose this emoticon

Or this one
Old 01-05-17, 12:28 PM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Wouldn't that beg the question of whether or not this "analysis" has any real meaning whatsoever?
Old 01-05-17, 12:42 PM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
The one thing that this data shows is that there isn't just one single variable that drives kids to attend a public or private school.
1. Availability of private schools.
2. Real or perceived quality of the local public school systems.

3. Religious beliefs.
Old 01-05-17, 12:47 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitybuckeye View Post
1. Availability of private schools.
2. Real or perceived quality of the local public school systems.

3. Religious beliefs.
Uh, 1A bench, forty time, and vertical leap.
Old 01-05-17, 12:49 PM
All World

Quote:
Uh, falls under #2. Your schools are horrid, and instead of doing something about it, you cry "unfair" about your betters.
Old 01-05-17, 01:00 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Uh, falls under #2. Your schools are horrid, and instead of doing something about it, you cry "unfair" about your betters.
Uh yeah, but my daddy can whip your daddy. Uh, horrid, really, Uh that seems a little harsh.UH how much do you know about "my schools?" That's what I thought. What factors did you use in this comprehensive review of "my school?" Uh sorta figured that also. "Your betters," now that is a new one . Don't believe I have ever seen that term on this site before. Are you an Ivy Leaguer or just some pompous azz?
Old 01-05-17, 01:07 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Yes and no.

I think one thing that binds most of the private attendees together, whether they come from Euclid or Willoughby Hills, is a belief that they can do better with the privates. The very best public districts, with lots of wealthy people...in the Clevleand area...Solon, Hudson, Brecksville...they're the wealthiest but don't have the highest percentage of privates because the locals are getting (mostly) what they want/need in their public schools. Many of the other communities...places like Euclid and University Heights...some of the residents are reasonably well off but the school district isn't giving them what they want.
Old 01-05-17, 01:08 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
So, you think all of these people are going to private schools to play on winning football teams?
Old 01-05-17, 01:15 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
So, you think all of these people are going to private schools to play on winning football teams?
Uh, nah, winning basketball teams (men and women), wrestling teams(men only),swimming teams,soccer teams(men and women), baseball teams,softball teams,Volleyball teams (men and women), track teams (men and women), water polo teams,lacrosse teams, bowling teams,Uh get the picture yet?
Old 01-05-17, 01:18 PM
All World

Quote:
What factors did you use in this comprehensive review of "my school?"
There are plenty of objective measures available online, easily found with with this nifty new site called "Google". The results show your school district as (paraphrasing here but accurately) "straight up trash". At least it's a good match for the town.
Old 01-05-17, 01:21 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Uh, nah, winning basketball teams (men and women), wrestling teams(men only),swimming teams,soccer teams(men and women), baseball teams,softball teams,Volleyball teams (men and women), track teams (men and women), water polo teams,lacrosse teams, bowling teams,Uh get the picture yet?
Privates almost never win softball.

So, seriously...you actually think MOST of the people who attend Ignatius or Ed's or X or Moeller (15 grand) or University School or Hathaway Brown or CSG (25 grand) are spending that kind of money to be on a winning sports team?
Old 01-05-17, 01:27 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
There are plenty of objective measures available online, easily found with with this nifty new site called "Google". The results show your school district as (paraphrasing here but accurately) "straight up trash". At least it's a good match for the town.
Uh, "paraphrasing?" Now I know you are an arrogant Ivy Leaguer. Straight up trash, what exactly does that mean? I guess there must be downward trash somewhere so we gotta be better than somebody. Uh actually there are 3 small towns in the district, but I guess your assessment applies to all of them. It must be really hard to be the judge and jury on school districts and towns, you must be one talented individual. Uh do you live in a glass house?
Old 01-05-17, 01:30 PM
All World

Quote:
Uh, "paraphrasing?" Now I know you are an arrogant Ivy Leaguer.
It only seems that way to the functionally illiterate.