Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-03-17, 11:58 PM
All District

Gameday10 is on a distinguished road
CUP Question

Why does CUP have 5-6 coaches and a trainer on the sidelines for the games in Disney? Looked pretty strange with that many on the sidelines for a youth soccer game.

Also,

Why does CUP have the president of the club on the sidelines as a coach and is a parent of one of the players? That just does not make CUP look very good IMO.
Does anyone know how this is allowed other than politics?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-17, 03:15 PM
All District

2731 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameday10 View Post
Why does CUP have 5-6 coaches and a trainer on the sidelines for the games in Disney? Looked pretty strange with that many on the sidelines for a youth soccer game.

Also,

Why does CUP have the president of the club on the sidelines as a coach and is a parent of one of the players? That just does not make CUP look very good IMO.
Lol!! Awesome... The better question is what is the approach required to change it...?
Old 01-09-17, 02:44 PM
All District

Wish I knew the approach to change it. Makes CUP look bad but the men in charge don't seem to care.
Old 01-10-17, 04:43 PM
All District

Quote:
Wish I knew the approach to change it. Makes CUP look bad but the men in charge don't seem to care.
I don't think the folks in charge are even aware of what it looks like, and if they were I doubt they would care.

Mass exodus is the key to change but also the least likely thing to happen.
Old 02-03-17, 08:22 PM
All District

Well now we know where the focus has been. Not sure about the management, but happy for the city. Now the young boys across this town can show what they can do.
Old 02-07-17, 10:51 PM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Also,

I can't speak on parent coaches overall, but I've had a parent coach for my son's team the last 4 years. The last 2 years he has been an assistant on our CUP team. I can't say it has been a problem with having a coach who's son is also on the team, but that is just me and just on this one team. I've seen it be a problem in other sports.

As far as having extra coaches on the sidelines. I know CUP coaches will attend other CUP team games when they are in the area and available. They will usually sit on or near the bench, but they are always there purely in an observatory role. It's done many times to see the other kids in the club in action so they are more aware of the kids within the entire club and not just the ones they directly coach that season.

You may be right, that they aren't always aware of how it may look from the outside, but I don't think there is anything purposely egregious going on.
Old 02-09-17, 02:17 PM
All District

Yes I agree lots of CUP folks all will gather and watch games as long as all aren't trying to coach or tell players things not a big deal.

However you have the President of CUP acting as a coach with a kid playing on the field. This person talks directly to college coaches..... I would hope that CUP is giving everyone a fair shake when getting looked at.
I guess when that player plays on one team in the AM then plays with another age group later that day it sure looks very shady.
Especially when other kids sit out so presidents kid plays twice in the same day in front of College coaches. IMO
Old 02-09-17, 03:31 PM
All District

Quote:
Yes I agree lots of CUP folks all will gather and watch games as long as all aren't trying to coach or tell players things not a big deal.

However you have the President of CUP acting as a coach with a kid playing on the field. This person talks directly to college coaches..... I would hope that CUP is giving everyone a fair shake when getting looked at.
I guess when that player plays on one team in the AM then plays with another age group later that day it sure looks very shady.
Especially when other kids sit out so presidents kid plays twice in the same day in front of College coaches. IMO
I believe it would be a mistake to rely on the club for proactive discussions with college coaches about your player (or mine) at the age groups you're talking about. The McGinley days are long long gone. And like you... I have no doubt about the current club priorities.
Old 02-10-17, 08:49 AM
All District

Agreed, we will work in that ourselves can't depend on CUP to help out.
I am sure there is some good at CUP but a lot of it I'm just sick and tired of some of the stuff that goes on.

Common sense should tell you if you run the club as "President" focus on that job only and stop trying to coach....

DOC should know better too....
Old 02-10-17, 09:36 AM
All District

Quote:
I am sure there is some good at CUP but a lot of it I'm just sick and tired of some of the stuff that goes on.

Common sense should tell you if you run the club as "President" focus on that job only and stop trying to coach....

Amen Brother.
Old 02-10-17, 01:05 PM
All District

sebbyb is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Is your kid on the U16 Cup Gold team?
Old 02-10-17, 11:30 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbyb View Post
Is your kid on the U16 Cup Gold team?
Is there an actual point to that question that isn't served through the private messaging system?

I mean I'm game for the last 4 digits of your social and your moms maiden name too.
Old 02-11-17, 03:04 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2731 View Post
Is there an actual point to that question that isn't served through the private messaging system?

I mean I'm game for the last 4 digits of your social and your moms maiden name too.
I call BS on all of your criticisms. Most likely Gameday Jr. got sent packing from Cup, demoted or he is unhappy with his playing time.

I always see it as a positive when coaches support their Club and sit on the bench during big, out of town tournaments. No, I don't want them on-field coaching but showing support is good. Our HS team has 5 coaches on the bench and a trainer.
No problem with DK being an assistant coach on his sons team as the Pres of the Club. Just like it's not a problem that DB and TL are on the BOD at OE.
You will not hear him during games.
No problem with SK getting asked to play up a year. ALL Clubs do this. He is a talented kid and would be a logical choice if they had a need for some depth in the MF or up top. When you play 4 games in 4 days, you can never have enough depth.
College coaches aren't looking at 15-16 year old boys. It's too early in the process. As others have told you, it's up to the parents to research schools that might be a good fit for your kids academic needs as well as soccer. Your Club coach can assist in this process. Start attending ID camps at schools that are on your list. When the time comes, college coaches want to hear from the kid. NOT from helicopter parents answering their emails or texts. Not from the Club DOC. How a kid communicates with a coach will tell them a lot, good and bad. This is just as important as what a kid can do on the field.

Full Disclosure( Have a kid in the age group at KH)
Old 02-11-17, 10:53 PM
All District

Quote:
I call BS on all of your criticisms. Most likely Gameday Jr. got sent packing from Cup, demoted or he is unhappy with his playing time.

I always see it as a positive when coaches support their Club and sit on the bench during big, out of town tournaments. No, I don't want them on-field coaching but showing support is good. Our HS team has 5 coaches on the bench and a trainer.
No problem with DK being an assistant coach on his sons team as the Pres of the Club. Just like it's not a problem that DB and TL are on the BOD at OE.
You will not hear him during games.
No problem with SK getting asked to play up a year. ALL Clubs do this. He is a talented kid and would be a logical choice if they had a need for some depth in the MF or up top. When you play 4 games in 4 days, you can never have enough depth.
College coaches aren't looking at 15-16 year old boys. It's too early in the process. As others have told you, it's up to the parents to research schools that might be a good fit for your kids academic needs as well as soccer. Your Club coach can assist in this process. Start attending ID camps at schools that are on your list. When the time comes, college coaches want to hear from the kid. NOT from helicopter parents answering their emails or texts. Not from the Club DOC. How a kid communicates with a coach will tell them a lot, good and bad. This is just as important as what a kid can do on the field.

Full Disclosure( Have a kid in the age group at KH)

Since you aren't even remotely close to the situation. You can call BS all ya want. Come join the fun, and we will see how ya feel. Ragging on junior is hilariously uninformed (mine or Gameday's). My user name isn't code. My Jr. has probably played with and against your kid and trust me his playing time is just fine. He's tolerating the obvious conflict of interest for now (again... Hint hint) but even he sees it. One of the games at Disney... We had a "guest coach" even though the actual coach was present. Jr. Did not cotton even though he played his usual minutes ya dig? Jr. has played in many places at all levels and he would tell you that this type of coaching organization is not good for the players. It's a joke. These kids in these age groups deserve better and we all pay the same. Things DO NOT run like this in Columbus and if CUP doesn't clean this BS up for the budding academy it's going to be worse than Internationals for far too long.

As for your other advice... Right on except for thinking D1 programs aren't looking... We are less than a year from verbals now. This is actually prime time. Camps are good if you're invited, otherwise you're subsidizing the invites, this is with the exception of the immediately local schools of course.

But seriously. Leave my kid out of it (and Gameday's) He's better than Your's and deserves better than he's getting.

Additionally all this has literally nothing to do with SK either. Except that DK follows from team to team, guess he's an assistant on every team....

Last edited by 2731; 02-12-17 at 12:20 AM..
Old 02-13-17, 12:46 PM
All District

Quote:
Since you aren't even remotely close to the situation. You can call BS all ya want. Come join the fun, and we will see how ya feel. Ragging on junior is hilariously uninformed (mine or Gameday's). My user name isn't code. My Jr. has probably played with and against your kid and trust me his playing time is just fine. He's tolerating the obvious conflict of interest for now (again... Hint hint) but even he sees it. One of the games at Disney... We had a "guest coach" even though the actual coach was present. Jr. Did not cotton even though he played his usual minutes ya dig? Jr. has played in many places at all levels and he would tell you that this type of coaching organization is not good for the players. It's a joke. These kids in these age groups deserve better and we all pay the same. Things DO NOT run like this in Columbus and if CUP doesn't clean this BS up for the budding academy it's going to be worse than Internationals for far too long.

As for your other advice... Right on except for thinking D1 programs aren't looking... We are less than a year from verbals now. This is actually prime time. Camps are good if you're invited, otherwise you're subsidizing the invites, this is with the exception of the immediately local schools of course.

But seriously. Leave my kid out of it (and Gameday's) He's better than Your's and deserves better than he's getting.

Additionally all this has literally nothing to do with SK either. Except that DK follows from team to team, guess he's an assistant on every team....
Maybe your alter ego can translate this for me.
Old 02-13-17, 01:22 PM
All District

Quote:
Maybe your alter ego can translate this for me.
Here's a translation.

"You don't have a clue what you're talking about or who you're talking to."

In laymans terms... Your BS call is complete BS.

There's also, "attacking someone's kid to make a point is pretty poor." But I'm sure you understood that one.
Old 02-13-17, 01:41 PM
All District

DayFlyers is on a distinguished road
Good to see all the love

Funny part most of what is being said doesn't even matter.
Old 02-13-17, 01:48 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayFlyers View Post
Funny part most of what is being said doesn't even matter.
Won't matter until next year. You are correct.
Old 02-15-17, 02:28 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
this was fun
Old 02-15-17, 09:14 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
this was fun
About as much fun as counting the number of CUP boys teams that will be dropping out of the national league after one completely mis-managed year.
Old 02-16-17, 08:40 AM
Varsity

sweeney413 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
About as much fun as counting the number of CUP boys teams that will be dropping out of the national league after one completely mis-managed year.
Dropping out? Besides re-qualifying by winning the national league, you have to qualify by having success in regionals or MRL. Both the U16's and U18's have put themselves in a good position going into Vegas in about a month. The U15's and U17's are also very talented groups that have a very good chance of re-qualification next year. The CUP staff has done a very good job of development of players especially in an important year such as this one. They must be doing something right as they just got the DA for the U12-U14 age groups.
Old 02-16-17, 09:30 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeney413 View Post
Dropping out? Besides re-qualifying by winning the national league, you have to qualify by having success in regionals or MRL. Both the U16's and U18's have put themselves in a good position going into Vegas in about a month. The U15's and U17's are also very talented groups that have a very good chance of re-qualification next year. The CUP staff has done a very good job of development of players especially in an important year such as this one. They must be doing something right as they just got the DA for the U12-U14 age groups.
Time will certainly tell.
Old 02-16-17, 12:51 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
I guess the good news is you guys can have your kids tryout for better clubs next year if things are so bad with CUP.

And then I guess start a new thread about how bad things are with your new club!

And while you're busy about worrying about getting your kids noticed by college coaches also be sure they keep their grades up and good test scores too....academic money is something they can't take away in case your kid gets injured or decides college soccer isn't for him.
Old 02-16-17, 02:56 PM
Varsity

Gr8tS0ccr is on a distinguished road
When FC Cincinnati gets into MLS, it won't matter...except that maybe CUP wants to BE FC Cincinnati when that happens. CUP isn't the only club with a President that coaches. Alliance , Warren County, Cincy West, Impact, OE (Which is for profit now in case no one noticed) and I am sure many others(most volunteers are parents). I don't know if they coach their own kids or not, but if they are qualified (at least one of them I know was successful club coach some time ago), why not? I also see most big clubs support their clubs teams, especially the staff coaches. As a parent, I like to see my kids team getting attention from more than just his coach. I know the anonymity makes it easy to complain on here, but why bother? If you don't like your situation, then change it. There are plenty of other clubs out there these days (not that I think that is a good thing for our City).
Old 02-16-17, 06:55 PM
All District

Thanks for the sage advice guys!

Just to update you, Junior is looking forward to a competetive season in Buckeye with his new club!

Also I got him his first book and these cool little cards with small math problems on them for practicing!

I think I'm all set now except for one thing. I keep hearing about these "SAT" and "ACT" things. Junior can use a chair like a pro but do I really need to get him into theatre?

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-07-17, 11:15 PM
All District

steelboot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeney413 View Post
Wonder why they didn't get the DA at the older age groups? Guess SB wasn't on his knees long enough. Probably tired from getting unqualified teams into the National league.
Old 03-07-17, 11:20 PM
All District

steelboot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8tS0ccr View Post
When FC Cincinnati gets into MLS, it won't matter...except that maybe CUP wants to BE FC Cincinnati when that happens. CUP isn't the only club with a President that coaches. Alliance , Warren County, Cincy West, Impact, OE (Which is for profit now in case no one noticed) and I am sure many others(most volunteers are parents). I don't know if they coach their own kids or not, but if they are qualified (at least one of them I know was successful club coach some time ago), why not? I also see most big clubs support their clubs teams, especially the staff coaches. As a parent, I like to see my kids team getting attention from more than just his coach. I know the anonymity makes it easy to complain on here, but why bother? If you don't like your situation, then change it. There are plenty of other clubs out there these days (not that I think that is a good thing for our City).
So by saying that there are plenty of other clubs out there and you don't think that is good for our city, one could assume you would prefer it be CUP and nothing else? That is just non-sense.
Old 03-08-17, 09:29 AM
Varsity

Gr8tS0ccr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelboot View Post
So by saying that there are plenty of other clubs out there and you don't think that is good for our city, one could assume you would prefer it be CUP and nothing else? That is just non-sense.
No, just the opposite. I think there should be competition/more than just one club. However, I think there are too many small clubs that aren't qualified to truly develop soccer players which ultimately hurts our ability to compete as a city/region outside of the Cincinnati area. The only reason that is even possible right now is that Buckeye takes anyone and everyone with no club affiliation. If they had to join a well established club, with qualified / licensed coaches to play in a select/competitive league, then there would be a lot fewer clubs, consolidating like talent together, accelerating development for some kids that right now get left behind at smaller clubs, even though they have the athletic ability to compete.
Old 03-09-17, 09:34 AM
All District

Has National League changed the way teams are allowed to play in the league?

You used to earn your way, what is the criteria now to be placed in National League?
Old 03-09-17, 01:01 PM
All District

Quote:
Has National League changed the way teams are allowed to play in the league?

You used to earn your way, what is the criteria now to be placed in National League?
National League expanded this year, can't remember how many teams added, but it was alot. There were openings for several unqualified teams. Also the birth age switch allowed for some negotiation. That's a big reason why this opportunity is so precious.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: