Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-10-17, 12:55 PM
All Ohio

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Sounds like Eric Glover-Williams will move to offense. I believe he ran scout team as Deshaun Watson for running plays in prep for the CFP game, the coaches must have seen something there. I'd imagine H-back role.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-17, 01:11 PM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
Sounds like Eric Glover-Williams will move to offense. I believe he ran scout team as Deshaun Watson for running plays in prep for the CFP game, the coaches must have seen something there. I'd imagine H-back role.
Hoping he or McCall can be a dynamic punt returner. We haven't had one in forever
Old 01-10-17, 01:39 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
Did you not watch the games? It seems you did not.

Also, you're forgetting Haskins who may be the best QB on the roster right now.
Agreed I left out Haskins, but yes, I did watch the games and saw a bunch of receivers that were generally not open.
Old 01-10-17, 02:02 PM
All American

Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
So then you also saw that when they were open, Barrett under or overthrew them, badly.
Old 01-10-17, 04:15 PM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Did you see Clemson receivers running wide open last night? No, Watson threw them the ball anyway and they made plays. Barrett can't and won't throw the ball to a receiver unless he has 5 yards of separation
Old 01-10-17, 04:51 PM
All Ohio

Warriner officially gone. Good, no remnants from the past two seasons' offense.
Old 01-10-17, 05:11 PM
All American

Gh0st is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So then you also saw that when they were open, Barrett under or overthrew them, badly.
It was also commonplace to see him hit open receivers in the hands only for them to muff the pass. I'm not defending Barrett, but the receiving core didn't exactly play lights out either.
Old 01-10-17, 05:47 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Exactly. Those two PI in a row should have been TD or at least long gains if he just throws a mediocre pass instead of severely underthrowing.

The offense will be fine next year. A better OC will have the offense humming along. OSU will go undefeated or lose 1 and then it is up to the committee to decide if that is good enough for the playoff. The schedule looks pretty good next year for them to run the table.
Old 01-10-17, 07:35 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Wow, amazing how people pile on, especially on JT Barrett, after a loss. I'm not happy as to how he performed late, but the guy has two of the top five passing yardage seasons, the top passing efficiency season, 2 of the top 5 passing yardage seasons and the second highest career per game passing yardage in OSU history, and had the highest career completion percentage coming into the season.

With Barrett, Burrow and Martell, I'm not concerned about the QB position. I'm more concerned with them finding an OC that can run plays to actually get guys open and recruiting some dynamic receivers
I don't think it's piling on so much as a desire to see an open competition for QB next year. There's a lot to admire about Barrett and there's no doubt that the guy has given his all for the Buckeyes. He is a natural leader and I suspect he has a fine coaching career ahead of him.

But after watching the bowl games and playoffs it's clear that there was something wrong with the Bucks downfield passing game. Sure, it may not be Barretts fault but an open QB competition will shed light on that. Coach Meyer has already made aggressive moves in coaching which is good but holding a real QB competition is in the Bucks best interest.

As an aside, I think that the wide receiver position should also be thrown wide open. I have a question for the Buckeye faithful - do you think a kid like Hunter Renfro from Clemson would ever have had a chance to step on the field at Ohio State? To me if you put 3 or 4 receivers on the field at least one of them better be a sure handed, precise route running, possession type of receiver. Who has that been for Ohio State the last couple of years?
Old 01-10-17, 08:19 PM
All Yappi

Yellow_Jacket06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Yellow_Jacket06 Send a message via Yahoo to Yellow_Jacket06
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
I don't think it's piling on so much as a desire to see an open competition for QB next year. There's a lot to admire about Barrett and there's no doubt that the guy has given his all for the Buckeyes. He is a natural leader and I suspect he has a fine coaching career ahead of him.

But after watching the bowl games and playoffs it's clear that there was something wrong with the Bucks downfield passing game. Sure, it may not be Barretts fault but an open QB competition will shed light on that. Coach Meyer has already made aggressive moves in coaching which is good but holding a real QB competition is in the Bucks best interest.

As an aside, I think that the wide receiver position should also be thrown wide open. I have a question for the Buckeye faithful - do you think a kid like Hunter Renfro from Clemson would ever have had a chance to step on the field at Ohio State? To me if you put 3 or 4 receivers on the field at least one of them better be a sure handed, precise route running, possession type of receiver. Who has that been for Ohio State the last couple of years?
Good point. Haven't had that Hartline-like WR for awhile. One that is almost guaranteed to run a precise route and get a first down on 3rd and 7. Also not scared to slant across the middle.
Old 01-11-17, 08:18 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
It was also commonplace to see him hit open receivers in the hands only for them to muff the pass. I'm not defending Barrett, but the receiving core didn't exactly play lights out either.
I don't think anyone is claiming that. clark, however, is claiming Barrett is a good passing QB.
Old 01-11-17, 09:23 AM
All Ohio

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
I do not voice my opinions of coaches hired by OSU very often. I do sound off when I thing it is time for someone to go. The losing of Ed Warinner and the hiring of Kevin Wilson is what I call a more than good move. History is going prove this to be a great move!!!! GO BUCKEYES!!!!!
Old 01-11-17, 09:51 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:

I guess it goes to Meyer's offensive and coaching philosophy. When a man believes that he is an outstanding coach, it's easier to focus on the most outstanding raw athletes and assume you can mold them. 90 or so schollies doesn't hurt, either. You can miss on a few projects. I've heard stories from camps where a guy like EGW with flash and raw numbers can strut around in his Superman shirt and act like an idiot pumping himself up for beating a DB in a drill, and Urban will fawn all over him. Then a kid like old brian1227's hero Alex Alders - that only runs a 4.5 but can execute a better route than any HS kid, has all the intangibles, and the heart and will to excel - gets all but ignored. I'm betting Alex is 6'2, 215 or 220 now, still a 4.5, and exactly what a QB like Burrow would want in a possession receiver and in the middle of the field mixing with LBs. With Barrett, he would be a blocker.
Old 01-11-17, 10:04 AM
All American

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Excellent points.
Old 01-11-17, 11:47 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
I guess it goes to Meyer's offensive and coaching philosophy. When a man believes that he is an outstanding coach, it's easier to focus on the most outstanding raw athletes and assume you can mold them. 90 or so schollies doesn't hurt, either. You can miss on a few projects. I've heard stories from camps where a guy like EGW with flash and raw numbers can strut around in his Superman shirt and act like an idiot pumping himself up for beating a DB in a drill, and Urban will fawn all over him. Then a kid like old brian1227's hero Alex Alders - that only runs a 4.5 but can execute a better route than any HS kid, has all the intangibles, and the heart and will to excel - gets all but ignored. I'm betting Alex is 6'2, 215 or 220 now, still a 4.5, and exactly what a QB like Burrow would want in a possession receiver and in the middle of the field mixing with LBs. With Barrett, he would be a blocker.
I've suspected as much about coach Meyer and heard similar stories about what he likes in his recruits. To be fair, it's probably what most of the top coaches want. But holding out the Renfro kid as an example of how this type of thinking is not only wrong headed but might be a factor that keeps you from winning it all consider these stats for the former walk on, two star recruit, undersized wide receiver:

Against Alabama's defense, one of the best if not the BEST defenses in the country and in TWO National Championship games this kid has caught: 17 passes for 180 yards & 4 TD's.

Another kid that comes to mind is Chad Hansen from Cal:

http://www.si.com/college-football/2...e-nations-best

Nobody wanted him out of HS and his only scholarship offer was from Idaho State. Convinced he could play big time college football he sent out tape after a year at Idaho and Cal offered him a walk on opportunity. Here are his stats for 2016 (he missed 2 games due to injury): 92 catches for 1249 yards & 11 TD's. This included a 12 catch, 196 yard, 2 TD performance against Texas.

I get how a camp driven, athletic performance can blind a coaches eye. And with all those scholarships available the "camps" have served programs well given they can discard a "bust" after a year or so. BUT, at the elite level there is such a thin difference between the champ and everyone else it makes sense to enshrine a "walk on" culture. Hold back 1 or 2 scholarships per year like Clemson does and at the end of training camp award walk on's who earned it scholarships. Get the message out that the opportunity is there. Ohio would be a great source of walk on talent and given the love of so many Buckeye kids for Ohio State we would find our fair share of "Renfro's" & "Hansen's". Who knows a walk on may catch the winning TD in a national title game - stranger things have happened.
Old 01-11-17, 11:56 AM
All Ohio

I don't know guys, Meyer has stated many times he loves walk-ons, and Joe Burger got significant playing time this year at LB. You may be over-simplifying it. It's not like Clemson is known for finding guys like Renfroe, more like they just got lucky and the kid worked his tail off.
Old 01-11-17, 12:13 PM
All Yappi

I'm sure Meyer loves the right walk-on. Who wouldn't ? If a guy has a burning desire to be a Buckeye over all else, or wants to attend tOSU academically no matter what, then sure, a walk-on attempt might make sense. Some kids decide that leaving school with as little debt as possible is their #1 priority. They'll go where they have to for financial incentive.

I was just commenting on the notion that Meyer seems to have his set formula, not an uncommon one, for recruiting.

I'm not sure JT has the accuracy to use Renfro.

Last edited by cabezadecaballo; 01-11-17 at 12:24 PM..
Old 01-11-17, 12:26 PM
All Ohio

So he recruits too well is what you're saying? The problem is the recent guys haven't developed the way they should have. A lot of that has to do with the offense that was run the past two years. Not having a guy like Renfro is NOT our problem.
Old 01-11-17, 12:33 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
So he recruits too well is what you're saying? The problem is the recent guys haven't developed the way they should have. A lot of that has to do with the offense that was run the past two years. Not having a guy like Renfro is NOT our problem.
Or that he recruits without a type of "depth" ?

The point here^ is recruiting from the neck down first and foremost can ALSO have a lot to do with the lack of development, obviously. Not sure why you're ignoring that, but whatever. It's your prerogative to troll if you want.
Old 01-11-17, 12:34 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I don't know guys, Meyer has stated many times he loves walk-ons, and Joe Burger got significant playing time this year at LB. You may be over-simplifying it. It's not like Clemson is known for finding guys like Renfroe, more like they just got lucky and the kid worked his tail off.
I get that but aside from Burger, whose playing time was limited to early season blowout games, how many walk on's have been awarded scholarships and at what positions? Just curious because I have heard coach Meyer praise walk on kids.

I read a story on Renfro and there's a video attached where the Clemson coach is holding a team meeting at the end of training camp and he presents two walk on kids (one being Renfro) scholarships. The "scholarships" are in envelopes and the whole thing, with their teammates cheering them on, was pretty cool.

Now maybe Ohio State does the same thing, but I've never seen it and one of the keys to it working is to make sure EVERYONE sees it.

Oh heck here's the video. If Ohio State isn't doing this they should start and if they're are doing it they should be letting the world know it:

Old 01-11-17, 12:38 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I think he's saying that in judging effective football talent there are NO perfect assessment metrics so it makes sense to cast as wide a net as possible. There is no doubt that coach Meyer and his staff have an excellent recruiting pipeline - the NFL draft confirms that. But my point is that Clemson has just benefited from using a pipeline that maybe the Bucs have underutilized and need to better exploit.
Old 01-11-17, 12:44 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I think he's saying that in judging effective football talent there are NO perfect assessment metrics so it makes sense to cast as wide a net as possible. There is no doubt that coach Meyer and his staff have an excellent recruiting pipeline - the NFL draft confirms that. But my point is that Clemson has just benefited from using a pipeline that maybe the Bucs have underutilized and need to better exploit.
A lot of it is time and numbers. Clemson just got busier, and walking on just got tougher.
Old 01-11-17, 01:19 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
But my point is that Clemson has just benefited from using a pipeline that maybe the Bucs have underutilized and need to better exploit.
Maybe so, or maybe they got lucky with one guy.
Old 01-11-17, 01:26 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
A lot of it is time and numbers. Clemson just got busier, and walking on just got tougher.
But that's the goal. I suspect videos like the one above will mean more kids will take a chance at walking on at Clemson because they know that the Tigers will have an open mind as to their chances. Coach Swinney's comments in the video are eye opening "you can't judge a book by it's cover" demonstrates that he and hos staff will not prejudge a kid.

I also suspect that Clemson will continue to hold back 1 or 2 scholarships to give to walk on kids even if every 5 star recruit in the country is knocking on their door. Imagine the 1st day Renfro took the field as a walk on. I suspect that in the office the coaches were laughing their butts off at the nerve of the kid. I suspect some 4 & 5 star defensive back recruits were also laughing. But by the end of training camp he earned a scholarship. The Clemson coaches are to be commended for their open mind and I suspect Renfro's on field performance on the biggest stage in college football has solidified the value of the Tiger's walk on system.
Old 01-11-17, 01:26 PM
All Ohio

Lattimore on to the NFL. Good decision as he will likely be a first round pick.
Old 01-11-17, 01:27 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I also suspect that Clemson will continue to hold back 1 or 2 scholarships to give to walk on kids even if every 5 star recruit in the country is knocking on their door.
Just stop, man. They absolutely would not do that just because one walk on turned into a good player.
Old 01-11-17, 01:29 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
The Clemson coaches are to be commended for their open mind and I suspect Renfro's on field performance on the biggest stage in college football has solidified the value of the Tiger's walk on system.
Why are you acting like they're the only program who has done this with walk-ons? You sound very uninformed.
Old 01-11-17, 01:31 PM
All American

LOTR
Old 01-11-17, 01:36 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Maybe so, or maybe they got lucky with one guy.
Cal also got lucky with Hansen? If I was ambitious I bet I could find a whole bunch of guys who walked on and later became contributors to their teams.

It also seems to me that Ohio would be a very fertile place to exploit the "walk on" mentality. Think about all the under-recruited kids from places like the MAC or the other small rural schools all over the state (as an example, there are others). Think about every year having a bunch of them show up in the hopes of earning a spot. Sure, most will be gone within the week but how much effort would it take on the part of Ohio State to fully exploit the football raw material available in the State?

You could assign a graduate assistant to run the walk on program. The KEY would be that the entire STAFF would have to be open minded at EVERY position to the possibility that a walk on could compete. Maybe OSU already does this and they just need to get the story out better. But I don't see a downside to emphasizing a walk on program.
Old 01-11-17, 01:44 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
If I was ambitious I bet I could find a whole bunch of guys who walked on and later became contributors to their teams.

But I don't see a downside to emphasizing a walk on program.
To the first part... absolutely you could. There are a few guys every year that make an impact as a walk-on. No one is debating this, but the odds of hitting on a walk are much, much less than the odds on hitting on a 4 or 5 star guy are.

^^That also addressed your second statement. sure, some time should be dedicated to walk ons. Pretty sure I saw a tweet that walk-on try outs at OSU are sometime this week. But why would they spend a lot of time/resources on walk-ons when they have a MUCH higher probability of finding impact guys within the scholarship athletes? It just makes no sense, man. If you think that's the key area where they need to improve.... I am seriously at a loss. Does Alabama have the best "walk-on program?"