Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-02-17, 12:32 AM
All American

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Play calling, assistant coaches must go, recruiting....How about this folks, maybe the Buckeyes and the Big Ten simply aren't that good??

I kind of wondered why the "experts" kept telling us during the season how good the big ten is now and how it may be the best conference in America...based on what???

I still see the same big ten, one or two good teams and a bunch of mediocre to bad ones. Yes, JT Barrett and the Buckeye offense looks great against Ohio University, Purdue, Illinois and Minnesota, but what about actual GOOD teams??? I tell people all the time the Buckeyes would have 3-4 losses per season if they played an SEC schedule (or now an ACC schedule). What a snow job the Buckeye did on the committee?? And people wanted 2 Big ten teams in the playoff?? After USC destroys Penn State tomorrow, we'll see what a weak conference this really is.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-17, 12:53 AM
All Ohio

falguin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Play calling, assistant coaches must go, recruiting....How about this folks, maybe the Buckeyes and the Big Ten simply aren't that good??

I kind of wondered why the "experts" kept telling us during the season how good the big ten is now and how it may be the best conference in America...based on what???

I still see the same big ten, one or two good teams and a bunch of mediocre to bad ones. Yes, JT Barrett and the Buckeye offense looks great against Ohio University, Purdue, Illinois and Minnesota, but what about actual GOOD teams??? I tell people all the time the Buckeyes would have 3-4 losses per season if they played an SEC schedule (or now an ACC schedule). What a snow job the Buckeye did on the committee?? And people wanted 2 Big ten teams in the playoff?? After USC destroys Penn State tomorrow, we'll see what a weak conference this really is.
Penn State will win the Rose Bowl. Something has clicked for them and the QB is tough. The Buckeye offense also looked good against Oklahoma. The problem is the offense is too one dimensional and once teams figure it out, the offense is dead. It's had to block guys who are moving to where the ball is going, so then the line looks bad. It's hard to make guys miss when three defenders are sitting there waiting for you to catch it. I do not know what happened to Barrett; he used to pass well. This is the second year that the offense has struggled late in the year. TOSU almost lost to a bad MSU because of the offense. The Michigan game was almost lost because of the offense. I can't believe that Meyer is not worried about his OC. This game should be a wake up call. Clemson did not have talent that should have been able to beat tOSU 31 - 0.
Old 01-02-17, 08:08 AM
All American

joesports is on a distinguished road
The problems with OSU's offense is lack of vertical stretch. When defenses can condense the field by playing the DBs tight to the LOS it makes it really tough to run or pass. You have to stretch the defense no matter what ... for most of the game Ohio State didn't even send receivers deep ... thus Clemsons DBs were playing really tight to the LOS and made it tough to run or get open. You have to send WR deep no matter what ... and occasionally throw it, even if you don't complete it, it at least forces the safeties to play deeper. OSU didn't do this until the end of the game.
Old 01-02-17, 11:01 AM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Bin Victor needs to start next year. Names like McLauren, Wilson, Dixon need to go.
Old 01-02-17, 03:08 PM
Varsity

scotty99 is on a distinguished road
I'm really hoping guys like Victor, Mack, and even Trevon Grimes get utilized next year. D-line should still be solid w/o Lewis. Will likely lose 3/4 of the secondary. O-line returns 4/5 of the starters. They really need to get better. Hausman will step in if Baugh leaves. Sounds like Worley will be back which will help the linebackers. Should be much improved next year.
Old 01-02-17, 08:03 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesports View Post
The problems with OSU's offense is lack of vertical stretch. When defenses can condense the field by playing the DBs tight to the LOS it makes it really tough to run or pass. You have to stretch the defense no matter what ... for most of the game Ohio State didn't even send receivers deep ... thus Clemsons DBs were playing really tight to the LOS and made it tough to run or get open. You have to send WR deep no matter what ... and occasionally throw it, even if you don't complete it, it at least forces the safeties to play deeper. OSU didn't do this until the end of the game.
Playing scared. It took the Bucks a full season - less one and a half quarters - to figure this out - if they did. My guess is they finally threw deep out of desperation (always bad) and not out of inspiration (the light comes on). Probably still in denial. And, that's in Egypt! There's always next year...
Old 01-02-17, 08:16 PM
All Ohio

goldentornado is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesports View Post
it didnt matter what OSU did , they werent going to beat clemson. the tigers had better players, better coaches and they were better prepared. the big ten needed a legitimate contender in that game to have any shot at winning.
Old 01-02-17, 09:45 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
It's been a pleasure watching Sam Darnold perform today. Penn State started the second half on fire, and it was Darnold that brought USC back to tie the game and allow the kicker to win it in the final seconds.

USC started the year 1-2, and Clay Helton made the tough call and made redshirt freshman Darnold his starter. He lost his first game as a starter, and then ran the table. If he had been the QB from the rip, USC would have either had a rematch with Bama this past weekend or next.

I hope it doesn't take another faltering offensive performance for Meyer to give Burrow a fair chance, and I hope that they ditch Beck and get an aggressive offensive mind like Herman calling plays for whoever wins the QB battle that needs to take place.

I don't think that Cardale Jones failed in the QB competition beginning the 2015 season - I think Beck failed the Buckeyes. Ultimately, it was Meyer that gave Beck the chance to do so, and he does not seem to have grown into the job. Time to go.
Old 01-02-17, 09:52 PM
All District

nutsnbolts is on a distinguished road
If you think last year's performance by tOSU against MSU was acceptable.
If you think tOSU performance against PSU, MSU, and Michigan is acceptable.
If you think tOSU performance against Clemson was acceptable.
If you think the first ever shutout of a Meyer coached team in a NC playoff is acceptable.
If you think a close-up of an incomplete pass (Buckeyes) showing all 4 receivers within ten yards of each other in the middle if the field is acceptable.
Then the Buckeyes are fine.

If you think the 3-7 postseason by the Big 10 was acceptable.
Then the Big 10 is fine.
Old 01-02-17, 09:59 PM
All Yappi

The B1G is fine, sans Maryland and Rutgers football.

The Buckeye offense is not.
Old 01-03-17, 12:11 AM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Many buckeyes going pro malik hooker the 1
Old 01-03-17, 12:56 AM
GO MIDDIES

Middie 85 Alum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Burrow/Haskins 2017.

Barrett shouldn't even be in the conversation. I believe he graduated so hopefully he transfers
I hope you are right, but Urban has a hard time making a hard choice when it involves one of his favorite players like Barrett. He shod tell Barrett if he comes back it is an open competition Nd I am going with the bestarm strength and accurracy. Hopefully Barrett gets a clue and goes to Texas. The Bucks would still have been blown out, but the 2 deep balls where the Bucks got pass interference had both receivers open but since he under threw both balls they had to wait forbthe ball and the defenders ran into them.

I wonder what young OC coordinators are out there that are creative. Lincoln Rey for Oklahoma set ul the defense on some plays and left Mayfield wide open for a run. The Bucks had to know Clemson were going to make Barrett throw and have Samuel covered. I sure hope we have a new OC.
Old 01-03-17, 06:59 AM
All American

Ryan Day, QB coach for the 49ers under Chip Kelly has been hired as QB coach from what I hear.
Old 01-03-17, 07:43 AM
All World

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
Ryan Day, QB coach for the 49ers under Chip Kelly has been hired as QB coach from what I hear.
What is his connection with Urban,if any?
Old 01-03-17, 08:36 AM
All American

Gview
"Day worked for Urban Meyer at the University of Florida as an offensive graduate assistant in 2005. He’s been the offensive coordinator of both Temple University and Boston College. In his past two seasons he was the quarterbacks coach of the Philadelphia Eagles and San Francisco 49ers."

http://the6i4.com/2017/01/02/tim-bec...oaching-staff/
Old 01-03-17, 08:43 AM
All American

Tim Beck is leaving to join Herman at Texas in some capacity. Thank you!!!
Old 01-03-17, 09:06 AM
Varsity

Starkbuck is on a distinguished road
I think once the dust settles, everyone will back off the edge. JT has regressed terribly, and I am not sure if it is all mental or if he is playing hurt, but he looks slow. Additionally, I think that OSU has very raw talent on the outside, who can run deep, but their inability to run the other routes very well are being highlighted big time. The most glaring problem that I see is that Ed Warriner and Tim Beck REFUSE to utilize the RPOs in their offense. For example, Clemson killed Ohio State by putting their linebackers/safeties in a bind by making them decide between defending the run or pass. Ohio State NEVER established the running game with Weber and that again is because Warriner and Beck panic at the first sign of difficulty and try to pass the other team out of their defense.

I think that this is the season that there are finally some coaching changes being made on the offensive staff. When former players, many of who are in the NFL, are ripping the offensive play calling it cannot be a coincidence. Oh, and I think there was a certain running back who got drug over over the coals for calling out the terrible play calling after an embarrassing loss to MSU a few years ago.
Old 01-03-17, 09:35 AM
Cooling Off

Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
Bin Victor needs to start next year. Names like McLauren, Wilson, Dixon need to go.
Yup. I expect the offense to look infinitely better next year should Burrow/Haskins get the start with guys like Hill, Victor, Mack (aka true WRs).
Old 01-03-17, 09:36 AM
Cooling Off

Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middie 85 Alum View Post
I hope you are right, but Urban has a hard time making a hard choice when it involves one of his favorite players like Barrett. He shod tell Barrett if he comes back it is an open competition Nd I am going with the bestarm strength and accurracy. Hopefully Barrett gets a clue and goes to Texas. The Bucks would still have been blown out, but the 2 deep balls where the Bucks got pass interference had both receivers open but since he under threw both balls they had to wait forbthe ball and the defenders ran into them.

I wonder what young OC coordinators are out there that are creative. Lincoln Rey for Oklahoma set ul the defense on some plays and left Mayfield wide open for a run. The Bucks had to know Clemson were going to make Barrett throw and have Samuel covered. I sure hope we have a new OC.
Barrett isn't going to Texas. Shane B. is the man in Austin.
Old 01-03-17, 11:30 AM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkbuck View Post
I think once the dust settles, everyone will back off the edge. JT has regressed terribly, and I am not sure if it is all mental or if he is playing hurt, but he looks slow. Additionally, I think that OSU has very raw talent on the outside, who can run deep, but their inability to run the other routes very well are being highlighted big time. The most glaring problem that I see is that Ed Warriner and Tim Beck REFUSE to utilize the RPOs in their offense. For example, Clemson killed Ohio State by putting their linebackers/safeties in a bind by making them decide between defending the run or pass. Ohio State NEVER established the running game with Weber and that again is because Warriner and Beck panic at the first sign of difficulty and try to pass the other team out of their defense.

I think that this is the season that there are finally some coaching changes being made on the offensive staff. When former players, many of who are in the NFL, are ripping the offensive play calling it cannot be a coincidence. Oh, and I think there was a certain running back who got drug over over the coals for calling out the terrible play calling after an embarrassing loss to MSU a few years ago.
Totally agree with you.
Old 01-03-17, 12:23 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middie 85 Alum View Post
I hope you are right, but Urban has a hard time making a hard choice when it involves one of his favorite players like Barrett. He shod tell Barrett if he comes back it is an open competition Nd I am going with the bestarm strength and accurracy. Hopefully Barrett gets a clue and goes to Texas. .
Having watched the Texas TRUE freshman QB Buechele play a couple games this year Barrett would not beat him out for the starting job. The kid throws one of the best deep balls in college football and under Hermans guidance will likely emerge as one of the best QB's in college football.
Old 01-03-17, 01:16 PM
Junior Varsity

jb24124 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Burrow/Haskins 2017.

Barrett shouldn't even be in the conversation. I believe he graduated so hopefully he transfers
I agree, and yes Barrett did graduate. Eleven Warriors had an article on the graduates including JT a couple weeks ago. Collier graduated as well.

Would love to see Burrow or Haskins throwing to Hill, Victor, Mack
Old 01-03-17, 02:42 PM
All American

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
JT Barrett was a Heisman candidate at the beginning of the season, after the Oklahoma game, he was a solid candidate. Then he began really struggling moving the ball, to the point where in the Michigan game, he was a glorified running back. It amazes me how these guys become great overnight, and crappy overnight. It's really hard to evaluate Buckeye QB's because they play against not very good competition. It's not hard to complete passes vs. Purdue and Indiana, but when you get against top flight ACC/ SEC defenses with athletes, a whole new story.
Old 01-03-17, 03:18 PM
All American

The competition OSU played this year was fine. That's not what lead to their blowout loss to Clemson at all.
Old 01-03-17, 04:11 PM
All American

Buck1974 is on a distinguished road
Despite the 3-7 bowl record, I think the state of the Big Ten is actually pretty good and getting better. 4 of the Big Ten losses were one score games. Ohio State and Iowa were the only two teams that really laid eggs in their bowl games. The Big Ten has some great to very good coaches right now and the conference as a whole seems to be recruiting very well.

As to Ohio State, the Buckeyes will be fine, the sky is not falling. The parallels to the 2006 season are almost identical after Ohio State got thumped 41-14 by Florida in the National Championship game. Actually, 2006 was much worse, Ohio State was supposed to easily win that game and were a veteran team. This year it was supposed to be a close game and it wasn't, but Ohio State is very very young.

How did Ohio State do after the 2006 season, did the program fall apart? Of course not. They had one bad year and that was due to sanctions and letting Tressel go.

2007 - 11-2 AP No. 5
2008 - 10-3 AP No. 9
2009 - 11-2 AP No. 5
2010 - 12-1 AP No. 5
2011 - 6-7 NR
2012 - 12-0 AP No. 3 (Postseason Ban)
2013 - 12-2 AP No. 12
2014 - 14-1 National Champs
2015 - 12-1 AP No. 4
2016 - 11-2 Yet to be determined.

My bet would be on Urban winning at least one more national championship with Ohio State. The QB position absolutely needs to be opened up for competition next season but the Buckeye's defense should be one of the best in the nation next year.

The East will likely be between Penn State and Ohio State next season. Both teams return almost everyone.
Old 01-03-17, 05:56 PM
Varsity

Starkbuck is on a distinguished road
For everyone who is ready to can JT, what made him regress so much that he no longer even looks like the QB from two years ago? Unless JT is very much hurt, and no one is exploring that avenue, I would have to think it is a result of poor play calling. Go back and look at how Herman utilized JT and his running ability to open the intermediate passing game. The RPOs that he used were very similar to what Watson made his living off of at Clemson and were used to abuse Ohio State. Flash forward to this year and there were seldom RPOs used to attack the edge of the defense or read a LB etc. It was pretty much a power running attack with JT and Weber splitting carries, and try to keep defenses honest by throwing it deep. When they couldn't power the ball, the offense became stagnant and relied upon intricate passing routes that took time to run and that wasn't happening.
Old 01-03-17, 07:33 PM
All Yappi

http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/Colle...9951483468042/

Indiana University's HC Kevin Wilson is now OC, Ryan Day leaves the SF49ers as QB coach to come here. Pretty ironic that his first game as Buckeye OC will be the Thursday nighter 8/31 against his former team, the Indiana Hoosiers. Was Day Ducks QB coach at one time ?

Nope-

Quote:
Prior to his two-year stint in the NFL, Day spent time at Temple and Boston College. He was the Owls' wide receivers coach in 2006 and then the offensive coordinator in 2012. In between, Day coached wide receivers at Boston College from 2007-2011. He then became the Eagles' offensive coordinator under Steve Addazio — Meyer's good friend — in 2013 and 2014 before making the jump to the NFL.

Day began his coaching career as a Boston College graduate assistant and then spent a year under Meyer as at Florida in 2005 as a GA, as well. http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-s...terbacks-coach

Last edited by cabezadecaballo; 01-03-17 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: Nope-
Old 01-03-17, 07:40 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkbuck View Post
For everyone who is ready to can JT, what made him regress so much that he no longer even looks like the QB from two years ago? Unless JT is very much hurt, and no one is exploring that avenue, I would have to think it is a result of poor play calling. Go back and look at how Herman utilized JT and his running ability to open the intermediate passing game. The RPOs that he used were very similar to what Watson made his living off of at Clemson and were used to abuse Ohio State. Flash forward to this year and there were seldom RPOs used to attack the edge of the defense or read a LB etc. It was pretty much a power running attack with JT and Weber splitting carries, and try to keep defenses honest by throwing it deep. When they couldn't power the ball, the offense became stagnant and relied upon intricate passing routes that took time to run and that wasn't happening.
They need to have an open competition, like I've maintained for a while. Barrett has not thrown the ball well since his return from injury. I was one of the first in here calling for him to replace Braxton, but I see little of the reasons that I did so since his return from injury. Yappi was right with me, as I recall. Maybe it's been Barrett, maybe it's been the play-calling and scheme, but an open competition should answer those questions.

Last edited by cabezadecaballo; 01-03-17 at 08:00 PM..
Old 01-03-17, 07:56 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest is on a distinguished road
Minny coach out. Fleck in? This would be the good jump. Close to his family. Nice mid-P5 that can win some games, could pass some teams. N Dakota St's success shows there's Northern and Canadian recruits to be won and Fleck is good at that.
Old 01-03-17, 11:13 PM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Nothing like a good as$ kicking to force the changes that should have been made a year ago. This loss will turn out to be a good thing for Ohio State's program. Terrible right now, yes, but for the greater good