Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-16-16, 12:29 AM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Minnesota Players Threaten Boycott Bowl Game if Suspended Players Aren't Reinstated

Quote:
After refusing to practice Thursday, Gophers players donned their maroon game jerseys and announced they are boycotting all football activities — even their Dec. 27 bowl game, if need be — in protest of the University of Minnesota’s decision to suspend 10 teammates in the latest fallout from a September sexual assault investigation.

Those 10 suspended players stood directly behind seniors Drew Wolitarsky, Mitch Leidner and Duke Anyanwu — with the rest of the players standing behind them in clear support — as Wolitarsky read from a typed, two-page statement, laying out the players’ demands.

“The boycott will remain in effect until due process is followed and the suspensions for all 10 players involved are lifted,” Wolitarsky said.
Read more:
http://m.startribune.com/gophers-foo...ame/406928136/
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-16, 06:17 AM
All Yappi

tallmadge H2 dad will become famous soon enough
If they were found innocent, why would they be suspended?
Old 12-16-16, 07:38 AM
All District

USA70PP is on a distinguished road
And we should care?
Old 12-16-16, 09:23 AM
All American

14Red is on a distinguished road
After reading the article and some others from the StarTribune site, the Gophers have a big old mess on their hands. And honestly, I don't know how they recover from this.
The president and AD made the decision to suspend the players, the head coach is supporting the players. This was basically a she said/ they said gang bang after the first game of the season where the the victim, a student who also works at the stadium says she was gang raped, the guys say it was consensual. The Minneapolis police was contacted, did their investigation and concluded Oct. 3rd that there would be no charges.
But here's where it gets interesting. The school’s office for Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action also has done their investigation and they are the ones behind these suspensions and possible expulsions.

This leaves the school in a very sticky situation. College campuses are more and more female than male, some even 60/40%, or even 65/35% female. One of the biggest recruiting tools for colleges is the safely of daughters.
You think there are race relations issues with minorities and the police, if you ever have a time when there becomes gender issues the police, you just see how hot things can get???

So the school is stuck, the educational/ administrative side is looking out for the overall future of the school. While football is some minds is really important, it is a University first. On the other side, a school like Minnesota, a perrinal doormat of the Big Ten, needs every shiny nickel in it's athletic department. The money a bowl game would put in an athletic department is critical to the overall athletic department, not just the football program.
Stat tuned...
Old 12-16-16, 10:33 AM
All District

eagles73 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
This was basically a she said/ they said The Minneapolis police was contacted, did their investigation and concluded Oct. 3rd that there would be no charges.
But here's where it gets interesting. The school’s office for Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action also has done their investigation and they are the ones behind these suspensions and possible expulsions.
It took the police department around a month to come to the conclusion that no laws had been broken. It took the schools office for equal opportunity and affirmative action department 3 months to find their conclusions.

Nothing good is going to come out of this! My only beef would be with the time it took for the school to do its investigation!

The police can get an indictment in most cases from a grand jury, but getting a guilty verdict can be much tougher, so they decided against even pressing charges, while the school basically hands these students their walking papers.

Most colleges leave the wording of their behavior conduct codes very vaque, not saying these young men are innocent, just a bad all around situation.
Old 12-16-16, 11:13 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles73 View Post
It took the police department around a month to come to the conclusion that no laws had been broken. It took the schools office for equal opportunity and affirmative action department 3 months to find their conclusions.

Nothing good is going to come out of this! My only beef would be with the time it took for the school to do its investigation!
Investigations like this simply take a lot of time because you can't stop the world and allocate all resources to this particular investigation. My guess is as soon as anyone got called about this situation, they lawyered up, put off interviews, etc.

In the meantime, you have a huge group of young people who are allocating for womens rights, and there is nothing wrong with this. But there is such a national push for women to report sexual assaults, which largely go unreported.
Old 12-16-16, 12:58 PM
All District

nutsnbolts is on a distinguished road
Whether consensual or not, are you OK with your mother, wife, or daughter being invoved in a gang bang? You OK with the guys saying "well she didn't yell stop"? so it's OK. Are you OK with the possibility they may have drugged her?

Gang banging SHOULD be against the rules of conduct at any school.
I think the AD should immediately revoke the scholarships of all football players and notify the bowl committee that their former players have chosen NOT to accept a bowl bid.

Because of confidentiality we'll probably never know the full truth.
Let me see - do I trust the school administration or the gang bangers?
Old 12-16-16, 01:46 PM
Cooling Off

Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutsnbolts View Post
Whether consensual or not, are you OK with your mother, wife, or daughter being invoved in a gang bang?

Oh my god.
Old 12-16-16, 01:51 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Quote:
Whether consensual or not, are you OK with your mother, wife, or daughter being invoved in a gang bang? You OK with the guys saying "well she didn't yell stop"? so it's OK. Are you OK with the possibility they may have drugged her?

I think the AD should immediately revoke the scholarships of all football players and notify the bowl committee that their former players have chosen NOT to accept a bowl bid.
Lol yeah let's continue making laws against what adults can and can't do with their vaginas and penises. Perverted that you care so much. Big Brother strikes again!
Old 12-16-16, 02:11 PM
All American

The players may be calling a big time bluff that the administration may not cave to. The one quote saying that "what are they going to do, cut 120 players".
That is exactly what the school may have to do, and what they should do to have any credibility moving forward. This isn't going to end well either way.

Wonder how many of these players are starting to have some second thoughts??
Old 12-16-16, 02:30 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Lol yeah let's continue making laws against what adults can and can't do with their vaginas and penises. Perverted that you care so much. Big Brother strikes again!
Bunch of fake conservatives on this site.
Old 12-16-16, 02:38 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
The players may be calling a big time bluff that the administration may not cave to. The one quote saying that "what are they going to do, cut 120 players".
That is exactly what the school may have to do, and what they should do to have any credibility moving forward. This isn't going to end well either way.

Wonder how many of these players are starting to have some second thoughts??
This is the players punching the school right in the TV money. At which point the school can pull schollies to win the battle, but lose the war for future recruiting. Have to admire the player solidarity here, if it was indeed consensual sex.

I have a feeling the girl's regret didn't exist until it was known that video was taken. Maybe regret took the form of revisionism.
Old 12-16-16, 02:42 PM
Go Buckeyes

I thought all bowl money was shared equally in the Big Ten?? For this to have any teeth, the Big Ten needs to say that Minnesota will not get its share if it doesn't play in a bowl when contracted to appear.
Old 12-16-16, 03:00 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles73 View Post
This is the key. The neo-Libs running these schools and doing the internal investigating in most cases are very anti-male/anti-sports. They intentionally drag their feet when it comes to investigating these cases for their own political agenda and so that optimal damage is done to the athlete regardless of whether they eventually get off. I'm 100% on the side of the athletes on this. Even if it doesn't affect the bowl revenue it's going to be a huge black eye for the University long-term and eventually will affect them financially in other ways.
Old 12-16-16, 03:17 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
I thought all bowl money was shared equally in the Big Ten?? For this to have any teeth, the Big Ten needs to say that Minnesota will not get its share if it doesn't play in a bowl when contracted to appear.
I did not know that. The next B1G team will just slide in, I did hear that. Revenue neutral, pretty much, then ?
Old 12-16-16, 03:31 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
This is the players punching the school right in the TV money. At which point the school can pull schollies to win the battle, but lose the war for future recruiting. Have to admire the player solidarity here, if it was indeed consensual sex.

I have a feeling the girl's regret didn't exist until it was known that video was taken. Maybe regret took the form of revisionism.
True, the players CAN choose to make this decision, but they did all individually choose to go to Minnesota, with the schooly attached. I'm sure most of these kids didn't run this decision by Mom and Dad. So may be an interesting Christmas break if the kid says he needs some cash to pay for future schooling.

I think the other point to make that while it may have been consentual with the first dude, lining up and taking turns on an inebriated female in 2016 is definitely not going to fly anymore.

At this point, it appears she and these dudes are the only ones that know what went down for sure.
Old 12-16-16, 03:36 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
I did not know that. The next B1G team will just slide in, I did hear that. Revenue neutral, pretty much, then ?
The article said Northern Illinois is next up. It shouldn't hurt the Big Ten much overall but if they told Minnesota they weren't getting their share, that would be a huge loss of money.
Old 12-16-16, 03:37 PM
All World

Gh0st is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Because of confidentiality we'll probably never know the full truth.
Let me see - do I trust the school administration or the gang bangers?
But.... it's not.
Old 12-16-16, 03:38 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Flamenco View Post
This is the key. The neo-Libs running these schools and doing the internal investigating in most cases are very anti-male/anti-sports. They intentionally drag their feet when it comes to investigating these cases for their own political agenda and so that optimal damage is done to the athlete regardless of whether they eventually get off. I'm 100% on the side of the athletes on this. Even if it doesn't affect the bowl revenue it's going to be a huge black eye for the University long-term and eventually will affect them financially in other ways.
Ok, but do you not think it affects the players/ athletes as well? Maybe even moreso??

If these players follow through with the boycott and the school pulls their scholarships or many end up leaving, that's on them.

Minnesota, who's not great already, certainly would take a hit for a year or two, but they'd be able to bring in enough kids that they'd be at or near the same level today in a few years.

My opinion is the school really only has one decision and just announce they are not going to the bowl game, revoke the scholarships of all current players and re-recruit the kids. If the current coach wants to continue, that's the rules. You simply can't allow the tail to wag the dog. That happens in too many places already, mostly the big time popular programs. Penn State is a great example.
Old 12-16-16, 03:46 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
The article said Northern Illinois is next up. It shouldn't hurt the Big Ten much overall but if they told Minnesota they weren't getting their share, that would be a huge loss of money.
Maybe there is provision in the B1G bylaws that says a failure to act on a bowl bid negates that school's share ? I can't think of a school ever declining to attend a Bowl, though, so maybe it isn't addressed.
Old 12-16-16, 03:53 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
True, the players CAN choose to make this decision, but they did all individually choose to go to Minnesota, with the schooly attached. I'm sure most of these kids didn't run this decision by Mom and Dad. So may be an interesting Christmas break if the kid says he needs some cash to pay for future schooling.

I think the other point to make that while it may have been consentual with the first dude, lining up and taking turns on an inebriated female in 2016 is definitely not going to fly anymore.

At this point, it appears she and these dudes are the only ones that know what went down for sure.
At least one did. Winfield Sr. said if the AD and President aren't fired/resign, Jr. isn't coming back next year.
Old 12-16-16, 03:54 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Ok, but do you not think it affects the players/ athletes as well? Maybe even moreso??

If these players follow through with the boycott and the school pulls their scholarships or many end up leaving, that's on them.

Minnesota, who's not great already, certainly would take a hit for a year or two, but they'd be able to bring in enough kids that they'd be at or near the same level today in a few years.

My opinion is the school really only has one decision and just announce they are not going to the bowl game, revoke the scholarships of all current players and re-recruit the kids. If the current coach wants to continue, that's the rules. You simply can't allow the tail to wag the dog. That happens in too many places already, mostly the big time popular programs. Penn State is a great example.
I guess it would be hardest on the Juniors and the marginally talented. Good younger players would just transfer if they had schollies pulled, right ?

If they ever aspire to be/stay on the MSU level, I think it hurts recruiting. ACC, SEC coaches will keep it alive with recruits. Count on it.
Old 12-16-16, 03:56 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:

Uh....what? No chance. Half these kids were meaningful contributors. I read their entire starting secondary is involved in this. Do you honestly think HS kids are going to want to go to a school that throws their kids under the bus without due process? Do you ever read outloud what you type before hitting send?
Old 12-16-16, 04:02 PM
Go Buckeyes

I think if they cut the whole team, it will be a virtual "death penalty" for the program. They don't have the history and presence of a Penn State. They would be aligning their football program with the middle of the pack MAC school if they are lucky.

It's not like they are in the middle of a fertile recruiting area. They need to battle with other areas and make the argument they will be playing in the Big Ten. That won't mean much if they are going to be a perennial 0-12 team for a few years.
Old 12-16-16, 04:16 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Here's an article as to how and why the University can take action-

http://m.startribune.com/u-can-take-...n-t/406566886/
Old 12-16-16, 04:22 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
Uh....what? No chance. Half these kids were meaningful contributors. I read their entire starting secondary is involved in this. Do you honestly think HS kids are going to want to go to a school that throws their kids under the bus without due process? Do you ever read out loud what you type before hitting send?
Old 12-16-16, 04:23 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I think if they cut the whole team, it will be a virtual "death penalty" for the program. They don't have the history and presence of a Penn State. They would be aligning their football program with the middle of the pack MAC school if they are lucky.

It's not like they are in the middle of a fertile recruiting area. They need to battle with other areas and make the argument they will be playing in the Big Ten. That won't mean much if they are going to be a perennial 0-12 team for a few years.
That's about the size of it, I think.
Old 12-16-16, 04:27 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Here's an article as to how and why the University can take action-

http://m.startribune.com/u-can-take-...n-t/406566886/
Is it just me, or does this look like "guilty until proven innocent" ?

It assumes a lot of good will, and maybe sobriety.
Old 12-16-16, 04:52 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
Uh....what? No chance. Half these kids were meaningful contributors. I read their entire starting secondary is involved in this. Do you honestly think HS kids are going to want to go to a school that throws their kids under the bus without due process? Do you ever read outloud what you type before hitting send?
If you offer a high school kid a full scholarship, some will take it.

Look, Minnesota is a .500 team at best, especially when you take out the non conference cupcakes that all big programs have. They'd be just fine, AND they'd still have their integrity.
Old 12-16-16, 04:54 PM
All American

Quote:

Yappi, this is a MAC program. The bottom half of the big ten is the MAC. Now they would retain some of their current players. The ones that had no sense and decided to run with the crowd. But they'd be fine in a few years.