Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Should they raise the rim to 11ft in the NBA?
yes 3 27.27%
no 4 36.36%
even higher 3 27.27%
make it lower 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-16, 01:57 PM
Varsity

Maxxamillion is on a distinguished road
Should they raise the rim to 11ft in the NBA?

Should they raise the rim to 11ft in the NBA?
yes
no
even higher
make it lower
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-16, 02:33 PM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
No
Old 12-13-16, 05:09 PM
All World

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
No Way
Old 12-13-16, 07:31 PM
All World

Raymo is on a distinguished road
I love it...BAM!
Old 12-13-16, 07:37 PM
All Yappi

tallmadge H2 dad will become famous soon enough
No.
Old 12-14-16, 09:49 AM
All American

Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Why?
Old 12-14-16, 10:33 AM
All Yappi

bedevil is on a distinguished road
Is Maxxamillion your new alt, Yappi?
Old 12-14-16, 03:46 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezzo! View Post
Why?
Why would they? Haven't you seen what has happened to football and baseball with stupid rule changes? They are a shell of the true sport.

I don't think that after an athlete spends their entire career mastering playing on a 10 foot rim, that you move it to 11 feet.
Maybe we should make footballs round, and make 30" bats the max length? Maybe make baseball players use their opposite arm to throw?
Old 12-14-16, 06:25 PM
Fake coolin' off

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
What's the rationale for raising the rim?
Old 12-14-16, 07:09 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
What's the rationale for raising the rim?
Um we are not allowed to agree
Old 12-14-16, 07:19 PM
Fake coolin' off

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallmadge H2 dad View Post
Um we are not allowed to agree
What are you talking about tall Madge?
Old 12-14-16, 09:53 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
What are you talking about tall Madge?
It sounds as if you may be against raising the rim to 11 feet. I am as well. You hate me. I'm certain that we cannot possibly agree on something.
Old 12-15-16, 12:05 AM
Fake coolin' off

I don't hate you tall madge, don't be such a drama queen. I just asked the rationale for raising the rim.
Old 12-28-16, 09:25 AM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Raising the basket was a more popular idea 15-20 years ago when big men were more dominant. It was a suggestion in response to the belief, by some, that the dunk was too easy and that a higher rim would help smaller players generally.

The one rule/structural change that I would favor is eliminating the 3 point line. Basketball was a far more interesting game pre 3. I know this change will never happen, but that's what I favor. The other change that has been widely discussed is enlarging/widening the court. It's an interesting idea, but so impractical/expensive that it's not worth considering.
Old 12-28-16, 10:53 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
Raising the basket was a more popular idea 15-20 years ago when big men were more dominant. It was a suggestion in response to the belief, by some, that the dunk was too easy and that a higher rim would help smaller players generally.

The one rule/structural change that I would favor is eliminating the 3 point line. Basketball was a far more interesting game pre 3. I know this change will never happen, but that's what I favor. The other change that has been widely discussed is enlarging/widening the court. It's an interesting idea, but so impractical/expensive that it's not worth considering.
I think they should add a 4 point line, and also should dock players pay that can't shoot at least 60% from the free throw line on a yearly basis. No professional basketball player making millions per year should get off the hook and not be able to make a free throw. When my kid was in 8th grade, they shot 72% as a team. No excuse for not being able to make at least 6 out of 10 FREE throws as a professional basketball player.
Old 12-28-16, 11:08 AM
All Yappi

Seriously...72%? That's very impressive. I coached a lot of grade school basketball..50% was good.
Old 12-28-16, 11:46 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Seriously...72%? That's very impressive. I coached a lot of grade school basketball..50% was good.
I've coached a lot of basketball at the 6th to 8th grade level and I've never had a team shoot 50% or less. Of course, we actually practiced free throw shooting during every practice.

I remember my senior year we had to make 10 in a row before we could leave practice. Anyone that couldn't after 15 min had to run line drills before they could leave. It's called taking some pride especially as a professional.

It's disgusting that a pro can't make free throws.
Old 12-28-16, 12:01 PM
Cooling Off

Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
Quote:
I've coached a lot of basketball at the 6th to 8th grade level and I've never had a team shoot 50% or less. Of course, we actually practiced free throw shooting during every practice.

I remember my senior year we had to make 10 in a row before we could leave practice. Anyone that couldn't after 15 min had to run line drills before they could leave. It's called taking some pride especially as a professional.

It's disgusting that a pro can't make free throws.
Either you're a good coach or CatAlum sucks. I'm leaning towards a combo.

But this has been discussed countless times. 1) It's a major mental thing. I'll look for it in a minute but I remember seeing inside the Lakers locker room the number of FT attempted and made in practice and Dwight Howard was hitting about 83%.

Also, the docking pay for missed free throws? That's dumb. Most big men aren't paid to shoot. They are there for their post moves, defense and rebounding. Would you dock pay for a cornerbacks pay for dropped INT? Nah, because he isn't paid to catch the ball.
Old 12-28-16, 12:04 PM
Cooling Off

Old 12-28-16, 12:30 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
Either you're a good coach or CatAlum sucks. I'm leaning towards a combo.

But this has been discussed countless times. 1) It's a major mental thing. I'll look for it in a minute but I remember seeing inside the Lakers locker room the number of FT attempted and made in practice and Dwight Howard was hitting about 83%.

Also, the docking pay for missed free throws? That's dumb. Most big men aren't paid to shoot. They are there for their post moves, defense and rebounding. Would you dock pay for a cornerbacks pay for dropped INT? Nah, because he isn't paid to catch the ball.
If a corner back dropped 60% of the INTs then yes, I would. That becomes a detriment to the team. I agree that big men aren't paid to shoot...jumpers. But all basketball players, especially professionals, should be able to shoot a reasonable percentage from the FREE throw line.
A foot doctor isn't paid to do heart surgery, but I bet they can still take a blood pressure reading. Some things are expected within your profession whether or not you "specialize" in them. Professional basketball players that are paid multi millions of dollars should be able to make 6 out of 10 free throws over the course of a season. Period.
Old 12-28-16, 12:35 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
This proves my point exactly. They are certainly capable of making 60%, this is proof, and this is a much larger sample than a season. So why can't they do it in games? Because they don't take PRIDE in it. They don't focus and concentrate. Yet they cash checks. Wonder what would happen if the owner said sorry, I can only give you 50% of your paycheck.
Old 12-28-16, 12:37 PM
Cooling Off

You're making a lot of assumptions.

If they didn't take pride, why did Howard shoot nearly 500 more practice FT than the notorious gym rat Kobe?
Old 12-28-16, 12:38 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
If a corner back dropped 60% of the INTs then yes, I would. That becomes a detriment to the team. I agree that big men aren't paid to shoot...jumpers. But all basketball players, especially professionals, should be able to shoot a reasonable percentage from the FREE throw line.
A foot doctor isn't paid to do heart surgery, but I bet they can still take a blood pressure reading. Some things are expected within your profession whether or not you "specialize" in them. Professional basketball players that are paid multi millions of dollars should be able to make 6 out of 10 free throws over the course of a season. Period.
The second you as an owner tries to get a clause in a contract that says "If you don't hit 70%+ of your free throws we're docking your pay" is the second you stop having any chance of signing a big man in free agency or in the draft.

So you're gonna cut a guy who has cover skills of prime Darrell Revis because he can't catch?
Old 12-28-16, 12:53 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
The second you as an owner tries to get a clause in a contract that says "If you don't hit 70%+ of your free throws we're docking your pay" is the second you stop having any chance of signing a big man in free agency or in the draft.

So you're gonna cut a guy who has cover skills of prime Darrell Revis because he can't catch?
First, 70% is probably pushing it, I said 60% which ANY professional basketball player should be able to do. Second, I was simply trying to make a point. I know that no owner is going to dock pay or cut players because of a short fall in their game. Third, I know guys that hit bucket after bucket of golf balls yet still cannot shoot a low score in golf. Why do you think that is?
Old 12-28-16, 01:01 PM
Cooling Off

Because the mental aspect gets to them.

The 70% was a typo, my bad.
Old 12-28-16, 01:45 PM
All Yappi

When you're coaching teams that practice 2-3 times per week for an hour (typical for CYO), nothing gets sufficient attention, including free throws. Given the time constraints, I stressed fast moving drills that had the kids passing, dribbling and catching/shooting on the move...dozens, hundreds of times. Always practiced free throws, but never enough.
Old 12-28-16, 02:16 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
When you're coaching teams that practice 2-3 times per week for an hour (typical for CYO), nothing gets sufficient attention, including free throws. Given the time constraints, I stressed fast moving drills that had the kids passing, dribbling and catching/shooting on the move...dozens, hundreds of times. Always practiced free throws, but never enough.
I think that free throws are just a natural thing that basketball players do. Some are better than others, but I would think anyone that's paid to play basketball could make 60%.