Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-11-17, 10:50 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
Nah I also give Poland a chance too
Without Brungard they will slide away into mediocrity
Old 01-11-17, 10:56 AM
All World

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
Without Brungard they will slide away into mediocrity
I'll drink to that
Old 01-11-17, 04:30 PM
All Ohio

HubCapper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster4321 View Post
Any update on the week 2 open date?
Trying to get Struthers AD (Nancy) to give Hubbard their Canfield game and in turn Hubbard would give them Girard and throw in a couple of Toledo Scotts (home/away) to sweeten the pot as well.

Both Howland AND Canfield should be on Hubbard's schedule every year. I'd go as far as giving up Hubbard's fifth home game this year just to get Canfield on the Eagles schedule on a yearly basis. It would suck to only have four home games at Beautiful Hubbard Memorial Stadium this year, but in the long run it would be worth it.

Come on Nancy, you know you don't want Canfield so give it to someone who really wants them. It's early enough in the year to rework all these schedules.
Old 01-11-17, 04:34 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCapper View Post
Trying to get Struthers AD (Nancy) to give Hubbard their Canfield game and in turn Hubbard would give them Girard and throw in a couple of Toledo Scotts (home/away) to sweeten the pot as well.

Both Howland AND Canfield should be on Hubbard's schedule every year. I'd go as far as giving up Hubbard's fifth home game this year just to get Canfield on the Eagles schedule on a yearly basis. It would suck to only have four home games at Beautiful Hubbard Memorial Stadium this year, but in the long run it would be worth it.

Come on Nancy, you know you don't want Canfield so give it to someone who really wants them. It's early enough in the year to rework all these schedules.

It was a bargaining chip she used with the AAC. she won. Campbell is still on the schedule. Toledo Scott sucked. Like Collin wood that Hubbard played a few years ago. Member? Yeah I member!!
Old 01-11-17, 06:03 PM
All Ohio

smartestdumbguy01 is on a distinguished road
So wait...campbell is back on? This is like a soap opera.
Old 01-11-17, 06:17 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartestdumbguy01 View Post
So wait...campbell is back on? This is like a soap opera.
Yes! I know crazy
Old 01-11-17, 06:26 PM
All Ohio

roberto21 is on a distinguished road
Struthers - Campbell for week 7 but due to difference in enrollments will be for this year only and then will look at it again. BTW in 88 games Campbell holds a slight edge in the series. I missed the numbers.
Old 01-11-17, 06:52 PM
All World

Campbell has 45 wins. Struthers leads series 26-17 since steel trophy inception.
Old 01-11-17, 07:26 PM
All District

Hilltopper1 is on a distinguished road
Struthers has 41 wins. There have been 2 ties. 0-0 and 6-6 I believe off the top of my head.
Old 01-11-17, 08:42 PM
Junior Varsity

Flying high is on a distinguished road
On a side note Big Red open with Collinwood this year - foolishness!
Old 01-11-17, 09:19 PM
All World

I said something about that and a Steubenville poster gave me the biggest line of bs
Old 01-12-17, 03:21 PM
All Ohio

Why are all these Campbell/Struthers posts on a Hubbard thread?

Nancy, do the right thing and give Hubbard your Canfield game, you don't want anything to do with Canfield like you have stated by threatening to get them off of your schedule. Girard would be the perfect fit for you on your Struthers schedule, along with your Campbell and Y-town Liberty games.

Howland AND Canfield on Hubbard's schedule would be pretty sweet. Let's get this going while we still have the time Nancy, plus it only involves 4 schools. This can get done rather quickly.....
Old 01-13-17, 07:32 AM
All Ohio

BTrev is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCapper View Post
Why are all these Campbell/Struthers posts on a Hubbard thread?

Nancy, do the right thing and give Hubbard your Canfield game, you don't want anything to do with Canfield like you have stated by threatening to get them off of your schedule. Girard would be the perfect fit for you on your Struthers schedule, along with your Campbell and Y-town Liberty games.

Howland AND Canfield on Hubbard's schedule would be pretty sweet. Let's get this going while we still have the time Nancy, plus it only involves 4 schools. This can get done rather quickly.....
Get a clue... Struthers/Canfield and Struthers/Liberty were set by the AAC, not the AD. Not unlike Hubbard/Howland and Hubbard/Girard. It's out of the athletic directors' hands.

Besides, Struthers isn't Lakeview. lol
Playing down a tier twice is plenty. And I believe that if the rivalry with Campbell didn't go back 90 years, the powers that be wouldn't have fought so hard to keep them on the schedule. Even if it is only for another year.
Old 01-13-17, 07:51 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTrev View Post
Get a clue... Struthers/Canfield and Struthers/Liberty were set by the AAC, not the AD. Not unlike Hubbard/Howland and Hubbard/Girard. It's out of the athletic directors' hands.

Besides, Struthers isn't Lakeview. lol
Playing down a tier twice is plenty. And I believe that if the rivalry with Campbell didn't go back 90 years, the powers that be wouldn't have fought so hard to keep them on the schedule. Even if it is only for another year.
I disagree that the athletic director has no control over it because athletic directors are the ones who make the "deals" with the league. Those crossover games don't have contracts like traditional out of conference games do...they are part of a "gentleman's agreement" with schools to make everyone happy. I am not sure who has control if it isnt the athletic directors who attend the monthly meetings...it sure isnt the superintendents because half of them don't know whats going on...and it sure isnt the football coaches because they despise all this crap.
Old 01-13-17, 09:52 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
I disagree that the athletic director has no control over it because athletic directors are the ones who make the "deals" with the league. Those crossover games don't have contracts like traditional out of conference games do...they are part of a "gentleman's agreement" with schools to make everyone happy. I am not sure who has control if it isnt the athletic directors who attend the monthly meetings...it sure isnt the superintendents because half of them don't know whats going on...and it sure isnt the football coaches because they despise all this crap.
Good post!
Old 01-16-17, 09:28 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
I see your point. I didn't think of that. I guess I always just assumed that the crossover games were chosen at random.

But if Struthers is fighting to keep Campbell on the schedule, why would they then turn around and try to get out of playing Canfield... presumably for the exact same reasons that Campbell is trying to move on? It just doesn't make any sense.
Why would Struthers hold that "gentleman's agreement" over Campbell's head, then turn around and try to renege on that agreement with Canfield?

By "make everyone happy", you mean make the ADs' jobs as easy as possible?
Old 01-16-17, 02:52 PM
All District

Struthers only wanted out of Canfield if Campbell was let out of the Struthers game. Basically Struthers strong armed the league into forcing Campbell to play in 17. I say that about the powers that be, the Struthers fans on here didn't want to play Campbell and wanted to keep Canfield. But yes I feel that the people that wanted that Campbell game and refused howland or Mooney are afraid to step up in some regards.
Old 01-16-17, 05:05 PM
All American

Struthersfan is on a distinguished road
Struthers definitely isn't afraid of Howland.
Beat a favored Howland team the last time we played them in Struthers in overtime.

Don't think the younger people are afraid of having Mooney on the schedule.
If up to them, Mooney is on the schedule.

Herein lies the problem: The older crowd in Struthers harbors deep resentment towards Mooney.
Much like racism here in the US, it's something that may never get fixed.

Struthers scheduled Cleveland VASJ and NDCL in the past. They've played Kennedy and Ursuline quite a bit in the past.

And like what was mentioned above, Struthers used the Canfield card to keep the Campbell game on the schedule for one more year. (For whatever reason)

We all know it was some sentimental old folks along with the AD's excuse to find another opponent that led to these tactics.
I personally would've preferred a home-and-home with Bay. Perhaps could've kept them on the schedule until another better option presented itself.

Some things in the Mahoning valley, in particular in Struthers, will never change. People always resist change.
Old 01-16-17, 09:05 PM
Varsity

ucfpengbuck
I came to this thread to read about Hubbard and all I find is a bunch of angry posters piling on Hubbard.

Spread all day,are you obsessed with Hubbard ? Does hating a bunch of high school kids from Hubbard give you meaning and purpose?
Old 01-16-17, 09:26 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfpengbuck View Post
I came to this thread to read about Hubbard and all I find is a bunch of angry posters piling on Hubbard.

Spread all day,are you obsessed with Hubbard ? Does hating a bunch of high school kids from Hubbard give you meaning and purpose?
I don't hate the kids in Hubbard they are great young men. It is simply the way their coaches go about acquiring the players.

The real Hubbard kids get left out. Over and over. Shame. plus. This is a messag board.
Old 01-16-17, 10:44 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopper1 View Post
Struthers only wanted out of Canfield if Campbell was let out of the Struthers game. Basically Struthers strong armed the league into forcing Campbell to play in 17. I say that about the powers that be, the Struthers fans on here didn't want to play Campbell and wanted to keep Canfield. But yes I feel that the people that wanted that Campbell game and refused howland or Mooney are afraid to step up in some regards.
Good point. I didn't understand the full context.
I thought Struthers was trying to keep Campbell and drop Canfield. Threatening to back away from the Canfield agreement, if Campbell was allowed to slide, was a good way to pressure the AAC into holding the member schools' feet to the fire.
I don't really agree with it... but it's fair. if Campbell doesn't have to uphold their end of the deal and play Struthers, then why should Struthers have to uphold their end of the deal and play Canfield?
Or another way to look at it. Struthers has to play Canfield. Sub Campbell should have to play Struthers.

I'm not saying I agree with that sentiment. I just want to make sure that I understand the reasoning there.

Although Howland is a step up from Campbell, they're nowhere near the caliber of Mooney.
And Struthers beat Howland the last 2 times they played them. And it took a Herculean effort from De'Veon Smith to beat Struthers in 2012. struthers can more than hold their own with Howland.

I still say the Red, White and Blue tiers should break away from the AAC.

The Blue tier is basically already it's own conference. I would just make it official.

Then kick out Jefferson and Edgewood (sorry), and combine the Red and White tiers. No more "gentleman's agreements" or crossover games, etc. Even if it's only for football (I like the AAC setup for basketball), that would still be a great conference.
I'm just disappointed that the ITCL stole my MVAC idea... check the forms back in September/October. I brought up up the Mahoning Valley Athletic Conference months before the details about the new ITCL came out. I mean... what did McDonald, Western Reserve, Jackson Milton, etc, have to do with either the MVC or the MAC?
Old 01-16-17, 10:44 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I don't hate the kids in Hubbard they are great young men. It is simply the way their coaches go about acquiring the players.

The real Hubbard kids get left out. Over and over. Shame. plus. This is a messag board.
With much respect I disagree...it is not just coaches who go after players in this case, and I can't say I disagree with open enrollment schools going after kids because it levels the playing field...i actually remember reading something about how hubbard doesnt take open enrollment kids after they already start high school...don't quote me on that but I wonder if that is true

I also think that by adding "extra talent" it helps create an environment and experience that benefits hubbard kids and doesnt hurt them. I understand you can look at this both ways, and I respect your viewpoint but I look at it differently.
Old 01-16-17, 11:05 PM
All Ohio

And for anyone wondering what this has to do with Hubbard, it has to do with everyone in the AAC. If Campbell was allowed to say, we're not playing Struthers anymore... then what's to stop Howland from saying, we're not playing Hubbard anymore. Or whatever.
If crossover games are part of being in the AAC, then everyone has to honor those agreements. Especially if the ADs are in fact the ones who come to those agreements.
Old 01-16-17, 11:28 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
With much respect I disagree...it is not just coaches who go after players in this case, and I can't say I disagree with open enrollment schools going after kids because it levels the playing field...i actually remember reading something about how hubbard doesnt take open enrollment kids after they already start high school...don't quote me on that but I wonder if that is true

I also think that by adding "extra talent" it helps create an environment and experience that benefits hubbard kids and doesnt hurt them. I understand you can look at this both ways, and I respect your viewpoint but I look at it differently.
Tate, Ingram, Morales, Rios...and if I read correctly, they actually just got a new quarterback this year from Gerard. Was it Wade?

that's just off the top of my head. They take kids that start high school elsewhere all the time.
Old 01-16-17, 11:46 PM
All American

wghfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTrev View Post
Tate, Ingram, Morales, Rios...and if I read correctly, they actually just got a new quarterback this year from Gerard. Was it Wade?

that's just off the top of my head. They take kids that start high school elsewhere all the time.
Waid is at Girard right now playing basketball.
Old 01-17-17, 01:11 AM
All World

Word outta Girard is he's staying
Old 01-17-17, 06:19 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Kudos to him. I've heard good things about his character. Doesn't seem like his style to jump ship...
Old 01-17-17, 08:04 AM
Freshman

HHEagles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
YEA UNTIL bball is DONE AND HE'S WEARING ROYAL BLUE. WAIT AND SEE
Old 01-17-17, 08:20 AM
All District

Campbell does not have to play Struthers at all. It is not mandatory. The only issue was the penalty. Struthers admin pulled out all the stops to get this game to be played, which included having the AAC force the penalty, leak the story to the media, threaten to cause chaos in the league by getting out of the Canfield game with no penalty, and finally to have their old MAC buddies (mainly Poland) threaten to force a vote for Campbell's removal from the league. Struthers admin wanted nothing to do with any opponent their size or bigger but desperately wanted D6 Campbell.
Old 01-17-17, 10:16 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopper1 View Post
Struthers admin wanted nothing to do with any opponent their size or bigger but desperately wanted D6 Campbell.
Then the best case scenario to make everyone happy would be for Nancy to give Canfield to Hubbard (which I think she would desperately like to do) and then go out and try to get a Mineral Ridge, McDonald, Lisbon, Mathews, Southington, or even a Sebring on their OCC schedule if that's the kind of strength of schedule Nancy is looking for to add to Struthers schedule.