Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-06-16, 05:55 PM
All District

Funzi is on a distinguished road
Speed kills. JFK's speed killed.
Old 12-06-16, 05:55 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ideliver View Post
How many turnovers in the second half?

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned JFK's kicking game. Coach Bayuk is a master at winning the field position game, and with their D7 all state punter, you can see why. Not one punt was returned, and the field position got flipped all game.

Also, Minster missing the XP was huge as JFK knew a TD puts them in the lead. They got certain points with the FG when the drive stalled after the last fumble recovery after the kick-off.

After half time, JFK went to a single LB set and got #7 back in the secondary for pass help. Their front 4 and sam LB #11 along with #8 were more than enough to stop the run. Halftime adjustment, a credit to a great staff.

Finally, everyone in the stadium knew #7 was getting the ball...and still wasn't stopped. Putting 9 guys in the box wasn't enough.

I remember a MAC commenter (FRIndiandude?) making a comment about Moggy not being able to stop the forward pass...well...I could say something snarky about Minster not being able to stop the run...even when you know which player is getting the rock...but I won't. JFK's O-line took over as the game wore on.

Minster's QB is very good, his 2 deep balls were money, and his read option game is very dangerous. Obviously, #15 is fantastic too. Very tough and physical team. It goes without saying...an impressive program.

Finally, quit saying they are the 4th best team in the MAC, they beat CW and FR when it mattered. It just sounds stupid.
Well they did finish 4th in the league....
Old 12-06-16, 07:27 PM
Freshman

MACNation is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funzi View Post
Speed kills. JFK's speed killed.
Killed what? Minster has faced teams with the same amount of team speed or more as JFK. This is a non-issue. This is a non-issue. What won the game was turnovers, that JFK didn't really cause or were called incorrectly by the referees and defensive adjustments made by JFK after Minster's first two drives. There's no question JFK had a nice team and deserved to win Saturday. But I definitely wouldn't call that dominant. If their team speed was so great, why didn't they rack up more yardage (230 vs 170)? Turnovers gave them short fields several times for some relatively easy scores.
Old 12-06-16, 07:59 PM
All American

D4fan is on a distinguished road
I am a big MAC fan but not because I live near them, but rather I am a fan of excellence and see MAC football is a thing of art to me.

Anyway, I believe I can be unbiased in my assessment as I have no connection to either team.

I always watch the line play as I think it is indicative of how a game will swing once the two teams figure each other out. At first Minster outplayed JFK on the line, and was impressive even after a turnover or two. By the second half, JFK controlled the line of scrimmage and there was no debate in my mind JFK was the better team.

What did two very tough games prior to JFK cost Minster? I have no idea, but that may or may not have made a difference.

I still like MAC football, just wish they would hang on to it a little better.
Old 12-06-16, 08:05 PM
All Region

ideliver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Well they did finish 4th in the league....

And PSU finished first...
Old 12-06-16, 08:15 PM
All District

Flying Wedge is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACNation View Post
Killed what? Minster has faced teams with the same amount of team speed or more as JFK. This is a non-issue. This is a non-issue. What won the game was turnovers, that JFK didn't really cause or were called incorrectly by the referees and defensive adjustments made by JFK after Minster's first two drives. There's no question JFK had a nice team and deserved to win Saturday. But I definitely wouldn't call that dominant. If their team speed was so great, why didn't they rack up more yardage (230 vs 170)? Turnovers gave them short fields several times for some relatively easy scores.
JFK had almost double the time of possession and held Minster to 47 yards total offense in the second half.

Most people would call that pretty dominant.
Old 12-06-16, 10:55 PM
All Region

ideliver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACNation View Post

1. Minster scored zero points in the second half. Had zero turn overs.

2. JFK didn't have to move the offense past toss sweep left and toss sweep right because Minster had no answer for that.

3. The speed was never needed or used offensively because they controlled the LOS and controlled the TOP.

4. Bayuk uses a simple formula...ball control, time of possession, field position and power football. It seems to have worked.

5. TOP was nearly 2:1 Its tough to win when you don't have the football

6. You're ignoring the kicking game, that's what got JFK the short field in the second half after a couple of three and outs. No need for a 91 yard drive when you start at mid field after a 3 and out when starting deep in your own territory.

7. Ask your coach how fast #11 was on defense. To paraphrase...he was in the A gap, the B gap, the edge...he was everywhere.
Old 12-07-16, 02:40 PM
All District

CatFan14 is on a distinguished road
Hard for STA to win the D7 state title though. I was talking about the playoffs.