Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-01-16, 12:44 AM
All Yappi

Steel Valley FB is on a distinguished road
Lynn Bowden Discussion Thread

So does he have a shot or what? And, did the lack of an OSU offer hurt his chances?

Much has been made of his transfer to Warren Harding after his sophomore year and that got me thinking: did this transfer help him or him or hurt him in regards to his chance at achieving the coveted title of Mr. Football in the state of Ohio for the 2016 season? Was there really more exposure and status, for lack of a better term, playing at a well-known school like WGH versus playing at the smaller Liberty?

More importantly, from a football standpoint, did the so-called playing up a level in terms of competition make him a better football player? Was the competition from the opponent schools as well as the repetitive competition in practice that much better, the coaching, facilities, free chicken, etc....was it a necessary move on his part?

This thread may die a slow death or do well depending on how the voting goes tomorrow, but I'm still interested in everyone's thoughts. And, if Lynn Bowden trumps the competition in these next several hours, I'd like to be the first to here to congratulate him on winning. Or, if his victory speech goes unheard and Worm is the last to turn the lights out on an empty campaign-room floor, I'd still like to congratulate Mr. Bowden on a fine season and wish him luck at the next level of football and for a successful and fulfilling life off the field.

Represent the Valley well, Lynn. Many people are pulling for you.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-16, 04:43 AM
All Region

nupanther is on a distinguished road
Many others have won Mr football without an OSU schollie. That one kid that played for South Carolina made OSU pay in the bowl game. Also, other players have won it on the smaller, less well known teams ( didn't Curtis Enis win it from that team who now is synonymous with running clock?) The level of competition was definitely higher- it's easier opening up eyes running wild over Massillon than Champion. But as you know Liberty has sent kids to D1 and a couple of NFL guys recently

Good luck to Lynn, whether he wins it or not- and where ever he plays on Saturdays
Old 12-01-16, 01:48 PM
All Ohio

Paladin1aa is on a distinguished road
It was my understanding he had offers at Liberty after his Soph. season and before he played a down at Harding as a Jr.

I believe he left because of a dispute where the board wasn't going to retain his HC at Liberty.
Old 12-01-16, 02:03 PM
All Ohio

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Its NEO, A D2 College kid can win it. SEO you need Nick Saban and Urban Meyer coming to your home to get a Mr. Football consideration

It should be a requirement to have a major D1 offer to be in the running

Last edited by Raider6309; 12-01-16 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-01-16, 02:31 PM
All Ohio

roberto21 is on a distinguished road
Michael Warren from Toledo Central Catholic wins Mr. Football
Old 12-01-16, 03:41 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
I give the Warren folks credit. The Bowden hype machine has been going full steam ahead for about 6 months now. Everywhere you look online he has been talked up. To his credit he came through and had a fantastic season carrying that team all the way to week 13. It's a shame he came up short.

Kinda ironic he would lose to a kid named Warren. He must have had a heck of a year
Old 12-03-16, 08:35 AM
All Ohio

warren1st is on a distinguished road
I can't believe Bowden didn't win it. I go all the way back to Paul Warfield and Bowden is the best RB I have ever seen.

I know the Player from TCC must be outstanding but better than Bowden?????
Old 12-03-16, 08:38 AM
All Ohio

warren1st is on a distinguished road
Michigan certainly needs a breakaway runner like Bowden. I certainly hope they are pursuing him.
Old 12-03-16, 08:50 AM
All District

Cooter26 is on a distinguished road
Where has Bowden got offers from?
Old 12-03-16, 09:03 AM
All American

wghfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter26 View Post
Where has Bowden got offers from?
Here are just some of them,
Michigan St.
Kentucky
Penn St.
Indiana
Nebraska
Wisconsin
Tennessee
Michigan
West Virginia
Old 12-03-16, 09:09 AM
All Ohio

falguin is on a distinguished road
Bowden should have won it. Without him Harding would have been a .500 team. I have never seen a more dominant player since Omar Provitt. I haven't seen the kid from Toledo CC, but from the videos he seemed to have a lot around him. Holes were huge that he ran through. Bowden did most of his running on his own. I do not understand why tOSU has not offered. He is just like Samuel. Looking at who has offered him, the Buckeyes better get on board. I would not want to faced this kid for four years.
Old 12-03-16, 09:17 AM
All District

Cooter26 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wghfan View Post
Here are just some of them,
Michigan St.
Kentucky
Penn St.
Indiana
Nebraska
Wisconsin
Tennessee
Michigan
West Virginia
That's a good list!
Old 12-03-16, 09:21 AM
All World

1disciple is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by falguin View Post
Bowden should have won it. Without him Harding would have been a .500 team. I have never seen a more dominant player since Omar Provitt. I haven't seen the kid from Toledo CC, but from the videos he seemed to have a lot around him. Holes were huge that he ran through. Bowden did most of his running on his own. I do not understand why tOSU has not offered. He is just like Samuel. Looking at who has offered him, the Buckeyes better get on board. I would not want to faced this kid for four years.
Watch Michael Warrens performance as a sophmore against Athens in the D2 state title game. The kid took over the game and won it for his team.
Old 12-03-16, 12:35 PM
All Region

1jeffcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by falguin View Post
He's a great player but he isn't an OSU caliber player....and yes I've seen him play.
Old 12-03-16, 12:41 PM
All American

Lep2002 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1aa View Post
It was my understanding he had offers at Liberty after his Soph. season and before he played a down at Harding as a Jr.

I believe he left because of a dispute where the board wasn't going to retain his HC at Liberty.
Liberty athletes have received offers from the best schools in the country. Michigan, OSU, Miami, USC, etc. The Leopards have sent a ton of kids to D1 and a few to the NFL...which is pretty impressive for a D5 school.

Bowden's coach wasn't retained at Liberty because of off-field issues. He went to Harding and took Bowden with him.
Old 12-03-16, 12:44 PM
All American

Lep2002 is on a distinguished road
Bowden deserved to win. He was a threat on the ground and through the air. He also returned kicks and played a little defense. Ask yourself this....

Would Harding trade Bowden for the RB from TCC? Would TCC trade their RB for a QB like Bowden?
Old 12-03-16, 12:51 PM
All World

1disciple is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lep2002 View Post
Bowden deserved to win. He was a threat on the ground and through the air. He also returned kicks and played a little defense. Ask yourself this....

Would Harding trade Bowden for the RB from TCC? Would TCC trade their RB for a QB like Bowden?
The player that won deserved to win. Also TCC has seen better QB's so I highly doubt they would want to trade and vice versa in regards to Harding and running backs. Warren is a dominate player and has played against some tough defenses. Bowden had a good year at one of two schools where as Warren has had a good career at one school.
Old 12-03-16, 12:53 PM
All American

wghfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jeffcat View Post
He's a great player but he isn't an OSU caliber player....and yes I've seen him play.
Please explain? When he is getting offers from schools similar to Ohio St.
Old 12-03-16, 12:57 PM
All Region

Josh myers deserved to win over both. He should have been charged with felonious assault every time the ball was snapped.
https://youtu.be/kY7PMkU9eoQ
Old 12-03-16, 12:58 PM
All Region

Quote:
Please explain? When he is getting offers from schools similar to Ohio St.
He has offers from Alabama, Clemson, USC, Oklahoma? I must have missed that.
Old 12-03-16, 01:02 PM
All American

wghfan
Quote:
He has offers from Alabama, Clemson, USC, Oklahoma? I must have missed that.
I am not talking about Myers? Talking about Bowden
Old 12-03-16, 01:13 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
He ,2 best player in ohoo
Old 12-03-16, 01:30 PM
All Region

Quote:
I am not talking about Myers? Talking about Bowden
So was I
Old 12-03-16, 01:34 PM
All American

wghfan
Quote:
So was I
No one else is getting offers from those schools up this way either. So don't get your point still. Ohio St. is nothing that special anyway as far as I am concerned
Old 12-03-16, 01:47 PM
All Region

nupanther is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
Its NEO, A D2 College kid can win it. SEO you need Nick Saban and Urban Meyer coming to your home to get a Mr. Football consideration

It should be a requirement to have a major D1 offer to be in the running
SEO is usually way behind the rest of the state. It's easier to have a Dan Bangura rack up numbers like that. That kid wasn't even Offensive POY in D7 and he lead the nation in rushing!! Every now and then you get a Joe Burrows, but often than not , with the glaring exception of Big Red, that region gets rolled when they meet a true contender
Old 12-03-16, 02:36 PM
All Yappi

Worm02
I recently completed Bowden's senior year highlight film. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/mWrbXN4cIo0
Old 12-03-16, 03:45 PM
All Region

Quote:
No one else is getting offers from those schools up this way either. So don't get your point still. Ohio St. is nothing that special anyway as far as I am concerned
Yea. OSU is definitely mid major status these days. It would be a huge gift if they ever got a 5 star recruit at that type of program.
Old 12-03-16, 03:50 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest is on a distinguished road
Couldn't get past the voice over but I'm sure the action would speak well for itself. Mr. Bowdin not following the UM pipeline?

They tried to make a highlight real for THE Mr. Football 2016, Michael Warren but the camera couldn't keep up.

Look forward to seeing all the Ohio kids that make it to the next level of play.
Old 12-03-16, 05:05 PM
All Yappi

Steel Valley FB is on a distinguished road
I think they got it wrong not giving it to Bowden, but I'm also a little biased. Congrats to Michael Warren on the award and a great season/career, but I think Bowden will show in college who the better player was. TCC winning the state title game surely helped push him over Bowden for the award.

By the way, Bowden's tweet was pretty unnecessary. Win and lose with class...even though he was probably right that's he's the best football player in Ohio.
Old 12-03-16, 06:08 PM
All Ohio

falguin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I disagree. He is the best athlete in Ohio. If Michigan wants him, he is OSU caliber, unless there are off the field issues.