Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-13-16, 10:49 AM
All Ohio

falguin is on a distinguished road
YSU in the playoffs

It looks like YSU will make the playoffs even if it loses nest week. Win, and YSU hosts a playoff game. Having watched a few games on ESPN3 and gone to a couple of games, I think YSU can go far in the playoffs if the offense just plays decently. Hunter Wells is not the guy. I wish Pelini would play Mays. Mays seems like a much better threat. Wells is shakey at best. I really wish that Montgomery would be fired. His offenses really stink. I was calling the plays six plays he runs over and over. I just hope YSU gets past Missouri State and rolls into the playoffs. The program really needs it.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-16, 09:03 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by falguin View Post
It looks like YSU will make the playoffs even if it loses nest week. Win, and YSU hosts a playoff game. Having watched a few games on ESPN3 and gone to a couple of games, I think YSU can go far in the playoffs if the offense just plays decently. Hunter Wells is not the guy. I wish Pelini would play Mays. Mays seems like a much better threat. Wells is shakey at best. I really wish that Montgomery would be fired. His offenses really stink. I was calling the plays six plays he runs over and over. I just hope YSU gets past Missouri State and rolls into the playoffs. The program really needs it.
That would be cool. Two of their three losses were to West Virginia and North Dakota State. No shame there.

YSU's schedule shows all of their games this year were on ESPN3 with the exception of the West Virginia game. That's impressive.

I don't get ESPN3 (yet), but I will be pulling for the Penguins who have a proud history. Thanks for the "alert"!
Old 11-18-16, 08:16 PM
All Ohio

EagleGuy,

I get it online. Just go to ESPN3 and a list of games will come up. I will be glued to my computer at 3P.M. Saturday.
Old 11-18-16, 10:17 PM
All American

Quote:
EagleGuy,

I get it online. Just go to ESPN3 and a list of games will come up. I will be glued to my computer at 3P.M. Saturday.
Sweet! I did not know I could do this.

Tonight, I will be planning my weekend football viewing and will include this game.

I believe the Buckeyes-Spartans game will be ending about this time. Thanks!

Many Mahoning Valley high schoolers have attened YSU over the years.

Go Penguins!
Old 11-19-16, 06:12 PM
Freshman

TDrunner is on a distinguished road
YSU vs Missouri

Wow, this game was a blow out.
Old 11-19-16, 06:30 PM
All Ohio

The Guins needed a win like this. Home game next week. Let's hope the Ice Castle is rocking. I was at the SI game and was disappointed by the crowd. Hopefully, the fans will get ignited again. Pelini has produced. I will say, if Wells can be solid in the playoffs, YSU could get to the NC. NDSU was handed that game. They ae not 21 points better. I would love to get a shot at them again.
Old 11-20-16, 12:04 AM
All American

Quote:
The Guins needed a win like this. Home game next week. Let's hope the Ice Castle is rocking. I was at the SI game and was disappointed by the crowd. Hopefully, the fans will get ignited again. Pelini has produced. I will say, if Wells can be solid in the playoffs, YSU could get to the NC. NDSU was handed that game. They ae not 21 points better. I would love to get a shot at them again.
As TD said, it was a blowout. Watched the Michigan-Indiana game on TV and this one online. (Thanks again).

Maybe some of the folks who have been going to high school games will go Saturday's game. Hope the weather is good and snow is not a factor.
Old 11-20-16, 11:41 AM
All Region

YTOWN
The Guins will be hosting Samford in the first round. YSU is 3-0 against the Bulldogs, including a 10-0 win in the semifinals back in 1991. I saw all 3 of the games at the Ice Castle. The 91 playoff game was one of the coldest games I have ever attended. Terry Bowden was Samford's coach at the time and I remember him saying that he had never been so far behind in a 10-0 game. YSU went on to defeat Marshall to win their first National Championship the next week. Hopefully YSU can keep their record perfect against tha Dogs and advance.

GO GUINS!!
Old 11-22-16, 05:48 PM
All Ohio

I was at that game. Man was it cold. Hopefully we can freeze them out again. I really think that if Wells and Mays are just solid the running game and the defense are good enough to carry us to a NC. I did not think NDSU was that much better. We just made too many stupid mistakes.
Old 11-23-16, 05:39 PM
Freshman

Youngstown state article

http://www.cantonrep.com/sports/2016...ungstown-state
Old 11-23-16, 08:31 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDrunner View Post
Good article! Wells was a beast Saturday vs. MSU.
Old 11-25-16, 08:40 AM
All Ohio

We need him to be a beast in the next two games.
Old 11-26-16, 09:52 AM
All Region

YTOWN
Quote:
I was at that game. Man was it cold. Hopefully we can freeze them out again. I really think that if Wells and Mays are just solid the running game and the defense are good enough to carry us to a NC. I did not think NDSU was that much better. We just made too many stupid mistakes.
It wasn't so much the temperature as it was the wind screaming and blowing that freezing rain in your face. That was before they built the visitor's stands and I remember they had those towers built on that side for the camera crew and the announcing team that was airing the game back to Alabama. Those towers were swaying quite a bit and finally the wind blew the tarp covering right off the smaller one. I think it landed in Pa. somewhere. That team was dying on the sideline in that weather and you knew if they played for a month they were not going to score, thus Bowden's comments about being so far behind I guess.

I stopped in a local establishment after the game and the owner had watched the game on his satellite dish. He said the announcers were all talking about how it was getting a little scary up in that tower with that wind.

I agree completely about the QB play. If they just don't lose the game with bad decisions and turnovers I think the Guins can make a nice run. Poor QB play has hurt them badly in some big games the last few years.

GO GUINS!!!!
Old 11-26-16, 08:22 PM
All Ohio

Good win tonight. Wells looked confident and made some nice plays. Mays coming in worked will too. JSU is good, but if we play like we can, we can beat them. MVCF is a much better conference than the OVC. What's great is if we get by this team, we may be able to roll to the NC game. Guins are really playing well. Things seem to be clicking. All I can say is YSU GO!
Old 11-26-16, 08:52 PM
All American

Quote:
Good win tonight. Wells looked confident and made some nice plays. Mays coming in worked will too. JSU is good, but if we play like we can, we can beat them. MVCF is a much better conference than the OVC. What's great is if we get by this team, we may be able to roll to the NC game. Guins are really playing well. Things seem to be clicking. All I can say is YSU GO!
Very good game, especially after the first half. Both offense and defense looked good. One down...

Looks like the temp was about five degrees cooler than here at "the homestead". Not too cold, but it's getting there!
Old 11-27-16, 02:38 PM
All Region

YTOWN
Gentlemen,

Of the other 23 teams that qualified for the FCS playoffs YSU has played 16 of them at least once. Jacksonville St. is one of the 7 they have never played. The only thing I know about them is that they were the runner-up last year and their only loss this year is to LSU. I would expect that this is going to be a tough game on the road. Hopefully YSU can survive and advance.

GO GUINS!!!!
Old 11-28-16, 07:56 PM
All Ohio

I'm getting more and more confident about the Guins. We shut down a very good Samford Offense. I think we have one of the best defenses in the FCS. I think we could have beaten WVU if we make a play here or there. I can't imagine that JSU is better than WVU. As always, it's up to Wells and Mays. If that tandem can keep JSU's defense honest and not trying to force us to throw, our backs are good enough to run us to a victory. It would be great to get back into the quarterfinals.
Old 12-03-16, 02:17 PM
All Region

YTOWN
Wells with a 70-yard TD pass to Patterson on the Guin's 2nd offensive play of the game. PAT good.

YSU leads 7-0
Old 12-03-16, 02:25 PM
All Region

YTOWN
JSU answers with an 82-yard drive.

7-7.
Old 12-03-16, 02:30 PM
All Region

YTOWN
The Guins come right back with a 65-yard drive to go back in front 14-7. YSU with TDs on their first two possessions.
Old 12-03-16, 02:44 PM
All Region

YTOWN
Guins force a 3 and out, drive to the JSU 9 and stall. Kick the 26-yard FG.

17-7 YSU.
Old 12-03-16, 03:47 PM
All Region

YTOWN
Halftime

20-17 YSU. Guins receive to start the second half.
Old 12-03-16, 04:10 PM
All Region

YTOWN
Jody Webb with a 50-yard TD run on the YSU's first possession in 3rd Q.

27-17 Guins, early 3rd Q.
Old 12-03-16, 04:33 PM
All American

Defense looked tired on that Gamecock drive.

Well, that didn't take long! Penguins answer. Shootout to accelerate?
Old 12-03-16, 04:38 PM
All Region

YTOWN
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
Defense looked tired on that Gamecock drive.
Yes they did but the Guins just scored again on a 2-play drive after the JSU score fueled by another big pass play from Wells to Patterson. Wells having a career game.

34-24 Guins.
Old 12-03-16, 05:02 PM
Freshman

Youngstown state

Nice field goal to add to the lead.
37 to 24
Old 12-03-16, 05:02 PM
All Region

YTOWN
Zak Kennedy with a 46-yard FG. Guins lead 37-24 under 10 mins. in the game. That's more points than LSU scored against JSU.
Old 12-03-16, 05:10 PM
All Region

YTOWN
The Guins can definitely ice it with a score after an INT. Under 6:00 minutes YSU inside the JSU 15.
Old 12-03-16, 05:13 PM
All Region

YTOWN
Zak Kennedy adds another FG. Guins lead 40-24 with 5:02 to play.
Old 12-03-16, 05:41 PM
All American

Nice.

Looking forward to Penguins playing the winner of the Wofford/The Citadel game coming up.