Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-03-16, 10:53 AM
All Region

mentfan is on a distinguished road
Mentor Basketball 2016-17

What does it look like for Mentor basketball this season? Any surprises?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-16, 01:06 PM
Varsity

NEOSpotlight is on a distinguished road
Return a solid core with Korsok, Simms, Kryz, and Tatarunas (assuming he plays).
Old 11-05-16, 06:06 AM
All American

Bball216 is on a distinguished road
Tatarunas needs to play basketball. He did not do very good at QB this year like expected.
Old 11-13-16, 09:39 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
Tatarunas needs to play basketball. He did not do very good at QB this year like expected.
I wouldn't say he NEEDS to play basketball (I hope he does), but let's just say that Tatarunas won't be screwing up any big football scholarship. While he is not a traditional Mentor basketball stud, Tatarunas could serve a very useful part on the team. Toughness, rebounding, and some tough inside scoring. Hope he comes out, but I wouldn't be surprised either way.
Old 11-13-16, 09:55 PM
All Yappi

Here is the 2016-17 schedule: http://nebula.wsimg.com/f933a75bb6e8...&alloworigin=1

The league schedule is still no slouch. I don't know much about what the GCC returns this year, but the league has been pretty deep in basketball. When looking at the nonleague schedule, it isn't hard to notice it is a bit down compared to year's past. Gilmour (DIII), Cornerstone (DIV), Eastlake North, Bay, Barberton, VASJ (DIII), Glenville, and Jackson.

Expected starters: Trubisky, Korsok, Kryz, Simms, and Tatarunas

I kinda wonder if both Simms and Tatarunas will start. I have a hunch just one of them will. If so, maybe Shane Zalba has a shot. He looked good at times running the point as a sophomore last year. Another year of experience should serve him well. Korsok showed some flashes last year of becoming a big time All-District guard.
Old 11-15-16, 06:35 AM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Why schedule Bay and Gilmour? Don't see any merit for those games.

Barberton at least is a neutral site type game in cbus. North is a local team. Cornerstone is local and a good story

Too bad Lake Catholic chickened out in playing basketball anymore

I'd rather get some more beef on this ooc schedule though. Garfield Hts should definitely be on it after the gcc let their middle school into the east side gcc middle school league

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-16, 08:26 AM
All World

3out2in
Bay went to state last year in DII and while I would like to see Mentor matched up with a bigger school than Gilmour, it's part of the Play-by-Play and I don't know if Mentor had much say in who they play there. Just a guess.
Old 11-15-16, 08:34 AM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Losing the out of state tournaments is fine and all. But if we are still only going to get 10 home games , I'd like to play better teams away from mentor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-16, 07:10 PM
All Yappi

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...ketball-visit/

A nice little feature on Mentor. Heard the freshman group has some real talent, led by Floriea. He received high praise in football and it sounds like he could be in the mix on varsity basketball this year.

Tatarunas was in the video (from a recent scrimmage), but wasn't listed on the roster. Not sure what is happening there. Mentor could use his size, toughness, and experience.

I'm looking forward to the season. Hoping to see some exciting up and down basketball with a hopeful return to the run and gun days of scoring 80+ on a regular basis. The last few years since the state title have been a slower pace.
Old 11-29-16, 08:54 AM
All Yappi

Click HERE for a great preview of DI basketball in the greater NEO area. Mentor is ranked in the top 10 (#9) for DI. Here is a snapshot/preview:

Quote:
Returning Starters: Jack Korsok (6'2 Sr., G), Manning Trubisky (6'2 Sr., G), Caden Kryz (6'3 Jr., G), Allen Simms (6'3 Sr., F)

In the Mix: Xavier Cheek (6'9 Sr., F), Matt Koski (6'5 Jr., F), Shane Zalba (5'9 Jr., G), Tadas Tatarunas (6'5 Jr., F), Chad Blessing (6'3 Jr., G), Ben Gingrich (5'9 Jr., G), Luke Floriea (5'9 Fr., G)

After a 64-62 loss to Solon in last season's district final, Mentor enter the 2016-17 season with a great amount of depth and experience. While the team lacks a traditional inside presence, senior Allen Simms and junior Tadas Tatarunas, also the team's starting quarterback, fit effortlessly into the uptempo style of basketball that the Cardinals are accustomed to playing. Jack Korsok will serve as the team's first option on the offensive end and the crafty senior guard will be joined by Manning Trubisky and junior sharpshooter, Caden Kryz. Xavier Cheek will see an increase in his minutes from a year ago and freshman Luke Floriea will provide the team with another primary ballhandler.
Medina (#10), is the only other GCC team on the list. According to this publication, Mentor would be the favorite to win the league. That would be nice. Feels like it has been a while since Mentor won a league title. Maybe going back to one of the Cole Krizancic years.

Cleveland Heights (#6) is the highest ranked team in Mentor's district. Jackson (#1 overall) is the highest ranked team on Mentor's schedule.
Old 12-02-16, 08:53 AM
All Yappi

Mentor is ranked No. 3 in News-Herald Top of the Crop and No. 9 in Cleveland.com

Local teams on Mentor's schedule that are ranked on Cleveland.com: VASJ (No. 5), Cornerstone (No. 12), Bay (No. 15), Shaker (No. 16), Medina (No. 17), and Elyria (No. 25)

I'm going to make a bold prediction: 16-17 wins, a league title, and a district title. The one I care about most is obviously the district title, something the Cards haven't won since the state championship season (2013). I think Korsok will have a Jeff Foreman-like senior transformation, maybe score a little more than Foreman did. The rest of the team has some nice players, but not the kind that the state title team had. The group is not big, but definitely better size than last year. That should help as they try to step up the defensive pressure and finish at the hoop.
Old 12-09-16, 10:41 AM
All Yappi

Mentor's game at Brunswick tonight (along with countless others across NEO) has been postponed. Mentor will open the season on Tuesday at Brunswick.
Old 12-14-16, 11:57 AM
All Yappi

http://ohiovarsity.com/sports/ohio-h...ick-since-2012

Mentor (finally) opened their season yesterday with a 72-64 win at Brunswick. Korsok got off to a great start with 28 points and high praise from his coach. He could end up having a really super season as the focal point of the offense. Kryz was second on the team with 18 points. Tatarunas had 13.

I was not able to be there last night, but I will go to the home opener against Euclid on Friday. Looking forward to seeing this team in action.
Old 12-17-16, 10:34 AM
All Region

bbfan29 is on a distinguished road
Looks like Mentor has gotten off to a pretty good start this season at 2-0, scoring 72 & 99 points against league opponents. Last nite against Euclid Mentor got scoring from 14 different players, which, I believe, shows a little more depth than in the past. I don't see any superstars on this team, but Korsok could develop into one & the rest look pretty solid fundamentally. It will be interesting to see how good this team could be as the season progresses. Can Coach K perform his magic in bringing this team to the heights that he did with the past successful teams of the 2000' era?
Old 12-17-16, 02:10 PM
All Yappi

Euclid is 0-4 and a far cry from where they once were, but I was impressed by Mentor. The team has good length. They bring energy on both sides of the floor. They don't have a lot of three point shooters, but they weren't settling. Lots of scoring in the paint and at the free throw line. Korsok looks sharp. He could be All-Ohio this year.

The GCC is very winnable for Mentor. Shaker and Medina aren't as strong as in past years. Solon is without their stud guard for a stretch. Mentor has a good shot at winning the league. The only game on the schedule in which Mentor is a definite underdog is Jackson. I'm predicting at least 16 wins.
Old 12-17-16, 03:02 PM
All Region

Elyria, Brunswick & Medina were the pre- season favorites to win the GCC this year. Brunswick beat Elyria 58-34 last nite & Medina beat Strongsville by almost 20 pats, so that puts Mentor in a nice position at this point. If Mentor beats Strongsville next Friday at Strongsville to be at 3-0, I believe, would share first place with Medina 3-0 with Brunswick in second place at 2-1.
Old 12-17-16, 05:31 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfan29 View Post
Elyria, Brunswick & Medina were the pre- season favorites to win the GCC this year. Brunswick beat Elyria 58-34 last nite & Medina beat Strongsville by almost 20 pats, so that puts Mentor in a nice position at this point. If Mentor beats Strongsville next Friday at Strongsville to be at 3-0, I believe, would share first place with Medina 3-0 with Brunswick in second place at 2-1.

Mentor was the highest ranked GCC team in the preseason by two local places: Cleveland.com and NEO Spotlight. But the margin was small. Medina will likely be the biggest test in the league.
Old 12-19-16, 05:18 PM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
Euclid is 0-4 and a far cry from where they once were, but I was impressed by Mentor. The team has good length. They bring energy on both sides of the floor. They don't have a lot of three point shooters, but they weren't settling. Lots of scoring in the paint and at the free throw line. Korsok looks sharp. He could be All-Ohio this year.

The GCC is very winnable for Mentor. Shaker and Medina aren't as strong as in past years. Solon is without their stud guard for a stretch. Mentor has a good shot at winning the league. The only game on the schedule in which Mentor is a definite underdog is Jackson. I'm predicting at least 16 wins.
Medina looked really, really good against Solon. They shot the lights out and they had decent height. And they ran the floor with Solon, which I didn't expect.

Solon has talent, but the Comets also have limitations. Only one senior on the roster, and no one taller than 6'1. We're starting five guards. Sincere Carry is back and playing well, but he hasn't gotten any taller. Maybe next year for the Comets.

Mentor and Medina look like the GCC's best so far.

Last edited by Metacomet; 12-28-16 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-20-16, 09:27 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
Medina looked really, really good against Solon. They shot the lights out and they had decent height. And they ran the floor with Solon, which I didn't expect.

Solon has talent, but the Comets also have limitations. Only one senior on the roster, and no one taller than 6'1. We're starting five guards. Sincere Curry is back and playing well, but he hasn't gotten any taller. Maybe next year for the Comets.

Mentor and Medina look like the GCC's best so far.
I thought I read that Carry would be out a little longer. Good for him. He was a really nice player as a sophomore. Should be good things ahead the next couple of years. I expect Mentor to be ready for the Solon game after being denied a district title by the Comets in March. Should be a good game with Carry in there.

I agree that as it stands, Mentor and Medina are at the top of the league. Brunswick, Solon, Shaker, and Elyria could definitely get a win on any night against the top two. Strongsville is awaiting a highly touted 6'6 transfer from Walnut Hills. I guess he won't be available until the halfway point (transfer rules). I assume that with Omari Peek, Strongsville could find themselves several wins in the GCC.

Euclid is going to really struggle in the GCC this year. I will be surprised if they get more than 1-2 league wins.
Old 12-20-16, 10:13 AM
All Region

How many career wins does Coach K have? I know he has over 500, but is he close to reach 600 this year? Do U think he will retire at end of season? Mentor should name gym after him when he retires after what he hss done for the basketball program. Other schools have done that, even tho their coach had never won a state championship or won as many games in their careers. Just a thought!!!
Old 12-20-16, 01:41 PM
All Yappi

BigBulldog is an unknown quantity at this point
I believe Mentor plays Canton McKinley(6-0)who is just off a win over Toledo St Johns 54-47.

It should be a good one.
Old 12-20-16, 03:37 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfan29 View Post
How many career wins does Coach K have? I know he has over 500, but is he close to reach 600 this year? Do U think he will retire at end of season? Mentor should name gym after him when he retires after what he hss done for the basketball program. Other schools have done that, even tho their coach had never won a state championship or won as many games in their careers. Just a thought!!!
The win total is at 575 (give or take a couple). He would likely get 600 at some point in 2017-18 season...if he stays that long. Not sure when he hopes to step down. A current junior on the team told me that the impression his class has is that Krizancic wants to (at least) coach until they graduate. That would probably get him the 600.

I don't think he know what he wants to do, but I'm glad he has stayed as long as he has. I have to believe that Krizancic has poured himself into his staff in a way that could keep most of that momentum going. But that doesn't always work out.

At some point they might name the gym after him. Potentially 600 wins and a state championship would justify it.

BigBulldog - McKinley is not on the schedule, but Jackson is
Old 12-20-16, 07:48 PM
All Yappi

BigBulldog is an unknown quantity at this point
I believe McKinley and Mentor play on 1-8-17 at the Baldwin Wallace Scholastic play by play at 10:15

The play by play website was just updated on 12-19.It has McKinley and Mentor playing at 10:15 on 1-8-17.

Is Mentor playing Gilmour Academy at the same event?
Old 12-20-16, 07:53 PM
All World

afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
http://playbyplayclassics.com/blog/w...lassics-v6.pdf

McKinley vs Mentor

Baldwin Wallace Scholastic Play by Play

1/8/2017 at 10:15am

Looks like McKinley has replaced Gilmour Academy as they do not appear on the schedule.
Old 12-21-16, 10:26 AM
All Yappi

Sunday morning at 10:15am...seriously? Some of us go to church on Sunday mornings. Oh well. Sounds like McKinley is very strong this year. I would have liked to have seen it. I'm glad they upgraded the opponent from Gilmour.
Old 12-23-16, 09:15 PM
All Yappi

Final at Strongsville: Mentor 91 Strongsville 49

After a slow first quarter, Mentor outscores the Mustangs 58-19 in the middle quarters. The Cards play in Columbus on 12/27 at DeSales High School against Barberton before returning home on 12/29 to take on Bay.
Old 12-27-16, 10:46 AM
All Yappi

As Mentor (3-0) gets ready for a travel-filled back-to-back (tomorrow in C-Bus against Barberton and Thursday at home against DII state semifinalist Bay), let's look at where things stand in the league and the Euclid district.

GCC Standings (overall record, league record):

Medina (7-0, 3-0)
Mentor (3-0, 3-0)
Elyria (5-1, 2-1)
Solon (5-1, 2-1)
Brunswick (4-3, 1-2)
Strongsville (2-4, 1-2)
Shaker (1-4, 0-3)
Euclid (0-5, 0-3)

A two team race for now with Mentor/Medina, but don't count out Solon. Surprised that Shaker is off to such a slow start...and they haven't even played Mentor or Medina yet.

Euclid District Update

Cleveland Heights (No. 4), Mentor (No. 8), Solon (No. 21), Glenville (No. 25) are the top four ranked teams from the Euclid district on Cleveland.com. A fifth team, Brush, is 5-1 and was recently ranked. Madison (4-0) is probably the 6th best team right now. Overall, this district seems as strong as it has been in quite some time. Heights and Mentor are at the top, but Solon (last year's district winners) will be a definite challenge. It will be interesting to see how these teams develop over the next several weeks leading into the seeding.
Old 12-27-16, 12:47 PM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
On Bay...

Their star player from last year, John Koz, has successfully walked on to Cincinnati...

http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/m-b...z_1032300.html
Old 12-28-16, 10:24 PM
All Yappi

Mentor beat Barberton today, 87-69 at Columbus DeSales. I believe this is the first time these two have played since 2002 when Mentor beat Barberton in a regional semifinal at Akron. A quick turn around for Mentor as they drive back from Columbus this evening and then turn around to play Bay tomorrow at Mentor. The Rockets are coming off a state semifinal appearance in DII in 2016. Their top player (Koz) has graduated as CatAlum points out. There were a few returning starters from that team. Bay is highly regarded in terms of DII teams in NEO, but Mentor should be able to win.

P.S. Anybody know where Allen Sims has been? Is he hurt? At the Euclid game it appeared he got hurt during warmups. Didn't come off the bench that game. I haven't noticed his name in the box score since. I didn't see him on the bench in pictures of today's game at DeSales.

Last edited by cardzfan1234; 12-28-16 at 10:37 PM.
Old 12-29-16, 10:05 AM
All Region

mentfan is on a distinguished road
He had his foot in a boot for a couple of games, but I don't think he is practicing yet. For some reason when I've seen him play last year, he just didn't seem comfortable on the floor at times. He has loads of natural talent, but is unpredictable in his game to game performance. Wonder if it's the transfer syndrome that sometimes affects players in that position, having a difficult time adjusting to a different style of play. It's no mystery that Mentor's style of play is a little different & probably more demanding than other programs some kids are accustomed to.