Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Closed Thread

Old 11-28-16, 09:20 AM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Herman killing it at Texas feels like a sure thing. Does anyone have any doubts?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-16, 09:54 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Herman killing it at Texas feels like a sure thing. Does anyone have any doubts?
I think he will come out of the gate very strong but he must be able to evaluate recruits on his own and not get too wrapped up in the Texas High School hype machine that over states so many of these players. He will also need to be able to work with a dysfunctional admin that will not give him full carte blanche that he saw Meyer get at tOSU or that he got while at Houston. If he can navigate these challenges the Big 12 is ripe for a dominate Texas to have a long run at the top of the standings
Old 11-28-16, 10:25 AM
All American

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
There is no guarantees. He's been good on offense at Houston, but are they a powerhouse? No.
Charlie Strong was supposed to kill it at Texas. You never know in these situations. Texas is struggling because many of the kids who used to be guaranteed to go to Texas, is going to Baylor, TCU, Texas A&M...and out of state.
Old 11-28-16, 10:28 AM
Cooling Off

Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
There is no guarantees. He's been good on offense at Houston, but are they a powerhouse? No.
Charlie Strong was supposed to kill it at Texas. You never know in these situations. Texas is struggling because many of the kids who used to be guaranteed to go to Texas, is going to Baylor, TCU, Texas A&M...and out of state.
Oh dear god. No sh*t, he was there for 2 years. It is literally impossible to build a powerhouse in 2 years.
Old 11-28-16, 12:33 PM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Herman will kill it with recruiting. I'm sure they'll be back to where they're used to in 2-3 years.
Old 11-29-16, 11:59 AM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
People go on and on about Herman's 6-0 record against ranked teams while at Houston. However, everyone has conveniently overlooked his losses to SMU, Navy, and Memphis this year, as well as the loss to UConn last year.

So, while I think he's certainly earned his shot at Texas, I don't think it's a given he's going to take over the Big XII. He'll fix the QB situation at Texas for sure, but he really needs to find someone who can do defense, because his Houston teams have given up a lot of points.
Old 11-29-16, 12:42 PM
All Yappi

When you have mid-major talent you're pretty much guaranteed to lose some games. The fact that he was able to gameplan and get his guys ready to beat the crap out of the likes of Florida State, Oklahoma, and Louisville (who are all much more talented) is impressive as hell. Tough to hold the Memphis loss against him when his guys all knew he was gone after that game. They still played hard and put up a lot of points, but obviously the defense didn't come with the same intensity it had in games against Louisville and Oklahoma. Human nature
Old 11-29-16, 01:35 PM
All Yappi

I keep saying his biggest challenge will be the admin and the "culture" of the program.

On the admin side they would be wise to hire Ollie Luck and give him the keys to the athletic department, if they do that they will probably be once again the strongest NCAA sports program.

The culture will be more difficult. 1st of all he doesn't sound like a Texan or act like a Texan nor does he have that fire up the troops type personality. He is much more cerebral and an Xs and Os coach so he should get a native Texas assistant(s) that can bring local knowledge and the juice like Kerry Coombs does for Urban. 2nd he will need to be able to evaluate the recruits for their potential and not get wrapped up in the Texas HS politics. Big Hoss from Katy may have dominated his HS opponents and has been bleeding Orange from the day he was born but Jamal from the south side of Chicago is projected to be the better player at the collegiate level and above, the pressure to take Hoss will be immense so how he handles these types of situations will make or break him.
Old 11-29-16, 06:11 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
The problem with Texas is the growth of the other programs resulting in Texas only getting a small portion of the top Texas talent.

I think the Orgeron hire is a mess. They should have dumped that stiff Les Miles long ago but stuck it out until the program lost its luster. Billy Cannon's not running out of that tunnel ever again LSU. Ask Ole Miss how well Orgeron worked out for them.
Old 11-29-16, 06:30 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
When you have mid-major talent you're pretty much guaranteed to lose some games. The fact that he was able to gameplan and get his guys ready to beat the crap out of the likes of Florida State, Oklahoma, and Louisville (who are all much more talented) is impressive as hell. Tough to hold the Memphis loss against him when his guys all knew he was gone after that game. They still played hard and put up a lot of points, but obviously the defense didn't come with the same intensity it had in games against Louisville and Oklahoma. Human nature
Oliver was dinged up, too
Old 11-29-16, 10:08 PM
All World

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
No surprise, Helfrich out at Oregon.
Old 11-30-16, 01:45 AM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I think the Orgeron hire is a mess. They should have dumped that stiff Les Miles long ago but stuck it out until the program lost its luster. Billy Cannon's not running out of that tunnel ever again LSU. Ask Ole Miss how well Orgeron worked out for them.
I'm not sure how Orgeron will do at LSU but I'm 100% a Coach O guy. Guy screams Louisiana and the kids seem to buy into him. Obviously they have a decent history of putting great defenses on the field but haven't been able to score points. If by chance he can get Kiffin as his OC it'll be pretty interesting what they can do. LSU's administration needs to stop using Bama as how they measure each year. I don't know for sure but it seems their obsession with what Saban's doing has caused them to overlook other teams. Or they get beat by Bama and it's like the whole season goal is over. Hopefully Coach O can get them focused to be the best Bama team for that week. And he's amazing in press conferences.

Plus he's learned from his mistakes at Ole Miss...for instance he say's he's not going to walk the halls beating a bass drum anymore while his coordinators are trying to game plan.
Old 11-30-16, 06:50 AM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
I feel like LSU will gradually decline under Orgeron.
Old 11-30-16, 01:52 PM
Yappi Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonsmith View Post
i feel like lsu will gradually decline under orgeron.
+1
Old 11-30-16, 04:43 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
I feel like LSU will gradually decline under Orgeron.
As it has under the Mad Hatter, or a little more quickly ?
Old 12-01-16, 03:20 AM
All American

But who else were they interested in that they could get? If by some maybe long ball chance Coach O get's Kiffin it would be huge for the program in terms of recruiting and offense. O will be somewhat the Harbaugh of the SEC West where he's football 24/7. You'll get some quote like "My wife dropped they turkey right under the table and that turkey used the chairs as blockers to get good yardage before the dogs got it. Now we're looking at second and short so we can open up the playbook."
Old 12-01-16, 04:02 AM
All American

joesports is on a distinguished road
My bet he can't get Kiffin and ends up with Steve Sarkisian as OC.
Old 12-01-16, 08:03 AM
All Yappi

Sark is a good OC and recruiter as long as he's not boozing
Old 12-01-16, 06:11 PM
Yappi Supporter

Indiana fires Kevin Wilson?!?!

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...lson/94744824/

Do they really honestly think they're going to do better than 6-6 in Bloomington? Based on what?
Old 12-01-16, 06:47 PM
All World

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerWildcat View Post
Indiana fires Kevin Wilson?!?!

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...lson/94744824/

Do they really honestly think they're going to do better than 6-6 in Bloomington? Based on what?
Sounds like an off the field issue. What I've read, sounds similar to the Mike Leach incident at TT
Old 12-01-16, 07:11 PM
All Yappi

^Yep, Indiana sucks. Back to going 2-10 every year
Old 12-01-16, 11:06 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
Sounds like an off the field issue. What I've read, sounds similar to the Mike Leach incident at TT
More like the Tim Beckman situation at Illinois where the staff was pushing players to get on the field when they were not healthy.
Old 12-02-16, 02:03 AM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Well that's lame
Old 12-03-16, 11:20 AM
All Yappi

I hope that Fleck heads to Houston. That program won't miss a beat, and it will put Fleck in a position to expand his recruiting base and coach network. It will keep him from over-reaching and doing a Kiffin-style back track on his career path and set him up as being a top candidate for one of the really big jobs when they come open.
Old 12-03-16, 12:54 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
I hope that Fleck heads to Houston. That program won't miss a beat, and it will put Fleck in a position to expand his recruiting base and coach network. It will keep him from over-reaching and doing a Kiffin-style back track on his career path and set him up as being a top candidate for one of the really big jobs when they come open.
Good call. Like Urban who worked his way up- BGSU>Utah>Florida>--->OSU. Hate to see a guy jump too quickly. Also, Houston was perfect for Hermann as there was already some talent there, as it would be for Fleck. Always better to follow a coach that's done well so he's moving up (e.g. Hermann to Houston) rather than coming into a struggling program (e.g. Hazell to Purudue).
Old 12-04-16, 01:16 PM
Yappi Supporter

Who are the candidates for the UC job?

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spor...n-uc/94955680/
Old 12-04-16, 03:03 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Fleck?
Old 12-04-16, 05:36 PM
All Yappi

Most are saying Brohm; there will be comp for him though.
Old 12-04-16, 11:27 PM
Yappi Supporter

Not a "big job," but Georgia State is about to do a serious upgrade of facilities with a new stadium. Considering it's smack dab in the middle of Atlanta with open admissions, they could build a decent program there that moves beyond the Sun Belt to something like Conference USA or the American Athletic Conference.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sport...tate/94975072/
Old 12-05-16, 02:04 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Most are saying Brohm; there will be comp for him though.
I'd be shocked if Brohm isn't at either Purdue or Baylor. He'd be very scary at Baylor with his offense and the athletes they get.

I really think the best bet for UC if they could get Neal Brown. Has done a dang good job at Troy during his time there and has recruited experience in some football hotbeds. Young guy the kids can relate to.
Closed Thread