Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Closed Thread

Old 09-26-16, 08:00 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
2016 Coaching Carousel

We cannot even make it out of September before the Coaching Carousel gets started this year. Believe it or not the Les Miles firing was not the 1st of this year, that honor technically belongs to Florida International's Ron Turner who was let go hours before the Hat.

Fired:
Les Miles-LSU
Ron Turner-FIU
Art Briles-Baylor

Hot Seat Candidates:
Clay Helton-USC
Charlie Strong-Texas
Steve Addazio-Boston College
Gus Malzahn-Auburn
Darrell Hazell-Purdue
Mark Stoops-Kentucky
Mark Helfrich-Oregon
James Franklin-Penn State

Last edited by Auggie; 09-29-16 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: Added Art Briles
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-16, 08:15 AM
All Yappi

To me the best gig of the above lot is USC and with the right coach they could be back in a minute to where they were in the glory days. The roster is not bad and the recruiting base is one of the best in the country plus the school sells its self. Their problem is meddlesome Academic and Athletic Admin that cannot get on the same page and you end up with these wacky hires. Stick Tom Herman into this situation and the USC Song Girls will be cheering on TVs across the country in prime time games every Saturday.
Old 09-26-16, 03:13 PM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
Ironically, Orgeron's interim head coaching gig at LSU might be enough to leverage something back at USC if things don't work out for him in Baton Rouge. Let's recall that Pat Haden just retired June 30th.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pac12/post/...ly-over-at-usc

Last edited by FormerWildcat; 09-27-16 at 04:07 PM..
Old 09-28-16, 01:24 AM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Without Stoops doing something that would justify Kentucky firing him with cause he's safe for the year in my opinion. It'd be hard to justify the $18-20 million it cost for his and the rest of the staff's buyout.
Old 09-29-16, 12:46 PM
Yappi Supporter

Don't forget that Baylor is looking for a permanent head coach, and that search has already started.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/coll...football-coach
Old 09-29-16, 02:17 PM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
In my opinion LSU is a better job than USC, but it's splitting hairs. SC is probably a more preferable place to live, but that's subjective based on the type of person. LSU is an amazing recruiting territory being able to grab the southeast and Texas at the same time, and you don't have to deal with the Hollywood and other LA distractions.

That said, Herman would crush it at either of those places
Old 09-29-16, 03:55 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
In my opinion LSU is a better job than USC, but it's splitting hairs. SC is probably a more preferable place to live, but that's subjective based on the type of person. LSU is an amazing recruiting territory being able to grab the southeast and Texas at the same time, and you don't have to deal with the Hollywood and other LA distractions.

That said, Herman would crush it at either of those places
LSU has a highly dysfunctional Admin, both school and athletics, so the "Boosters" can have the run of the place with little adult supervision. Easily the most dysfunctional political state too. You got to love a state that allows liquor to be served at a drive thru, doesn't seem like a Tom Herman type place. Now Bobby Petrino...

Old 10-02-16, 09:51 PM
Yappi Supporter

If Texas gets blown out by Oklahoma, I think it's goodbye Charlie. Interestingly, I think LSU's move may accelerate the timelines of other programs. Everyone now knows LSU is "talking to people," and if you're a school that's planning on firing your coach at the end of the season anyway, you probably don't want to feel like you're getting left behind in the background.

http://www.hookem.com/story/texas-fr...harlie-strong/
Old 10-03-16, 01:17 AM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Would be very interesting if Texas ended up hiring Herman from Houston while also supposedly lobbying for Houston's acceptance into the Big 12. Okay you can come into our conference, but we're stealing your coach first

Also hilarious how Texas was "back!" after beating ND week one and has now placed Strong back onto the hot seat. How quickly things change
Old 10-03-16, 07:17 AM
All American

Gh0st is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerWildcat View Post
If Texas gets blown out by Oklahoma, I think it's goodbye Charlie. Interestingly, I think LSU's move may accelerate the timelines of other programs. Everyone now knows LSU is "talking to people," and if you're a school that's planning on firing your coach at the end of the season anyway, you probably don't want to feel like you're getting left behind in the background.

http://www.hookem.com/story/texas-fr...harlie-strong/
Texas may have driven the nail in the coffin of Charlie Strong with their comments over the weekend. Basically saying his job was safe until the end of the season, but after that it sounds like they'll send him packing.

Traditional Big 12 recruiting areas are just being raided and pillaged by other conferences. A&M going to the SEC really hurt.
Old 10-03-16, 07:53 AM
All Yappi

Would be pretty crazy to have LSU, Texas, and USC all with job openings at the end of the year
Old 10-03-16, 08:35 AM
All Yappi

Good column on the potential openings: http://www.campusrush.com/charlie-st...028550332.html

You can add to Bluth's list Auburn and Oregon, a couple high profile programs that recently played in a national title game with tons of $s ready to be thrown at the right candidate. Look for a lot of coaches to see raises and I would not be surprised if we finally see a $10 million coach in NCAA football.
Old 10-03-16, 06:29 PM
All American

Gh0st is on a distinguished road
Programs aren't stupid. The guy everyone is talking about is Tom Herman. If anyone wants a chance at him it's next season, because he will likely be locked up for 4-5 years after that.
Old 10-17-16, 10:05 AM
All Yappi

Purdue dumps Hazel.

This will be the toughest job to fill of a Power 5 opening. Perfect for an out of the box candidate.
Old 10-17-16, 10:36 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Purdue dumps Hazel.

This will be the toughest job to fill of a Power 5 opening. Perfect for an out of the box candidate.
Really hoping they take Tim Beck
Old 10-17-16, 11:44 AM
All Ohio

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
This is the saddest thing about college sports. And don't feel to badly for most of these guys, they normally get big payouts because they negotiate contracts that extend them 2-3-4 years or more. Darrell Hazel, let go this weekend by Purdue, will be paid the rest of this season and all of next season.

My issue with this is that this is college sports, not pro sports. There should be a component of college coaching that includes recruiting the right kids to college, and seeing those kids graduate, not just wins and losses.
It's sad when you hear the graduation rates of today's student athletes, and even more sad when you see what many are doing 4-5 years from graduation.

Fact, Purdue's never going to win. Include Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, Northwestern, Rutgers and Maryland. There is a large and widening gap in the Big ten where Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State and Wisconsin rule. The types of players Ohio State gets, as opposed to the kids Indiana and Purdue recruit are night and day. Sure occasionally an Iowa, or Nebraska will be good for a season or two, but not in the upper echelon of the nation. There are pretty mediocre big ten teams that win 9 games a season because there are enough bad teams in the league that it just works out that way.
Old 10-18-16, 09:54 AM
Yappi Supporter

Now that the Big XII decided to stand pat, is it a foregone conclusion that Herman leaves Houston?

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/coll...ach-tom-herman

It's interesting that UGA blew their chance to talk to him last year.

http://www.dawgsports.com/2016/10/17...led-tom-herman
Old 10-18-16, 10:49 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerWildcat View Post
Now that the Big XII decided to stand pat, is it a foregone conclusion that Herman leaves Houston?

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/coll...ach-tom-herman

It's interesting that UGA blew their chance to talk to him last year.

http://www.dawgsports.com/2016/10/17...led-tom-herman
There's no way on earth that Texas, Baylor, Oregon, ND or USC do not hire him
Old 11-19-16, 09:35 PM
All Yappi

Texas lost to Kansas today

How great would it be if A&M fired Sumlin, and Herman stiffs Texas to go to A&M? Would be amazing. He could also go to Florida State if LSU gets Jimbo Fisher. Both are better jobs than Texas at this point imo.

Who knows at this point, but it's going to be an exciting off season
Old 11-20-16, 08:31 AM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
First time since 1938 Kansas beat Texas!!
Old 11-20-16, 08:54 AM
All World

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Remember when everyone thought Texas was back after the ND win? lol
Old 11-20-16, 09:34 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Remember when everyone thought Texas was back after the ND win? lol
The pudgy little used car salesman must go! Fire Kelly!!

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...stanford-coach

I still can't believe they extended him through 2021

Stupid Seahorn starts his morning bagging on tOSU, but now he is looking for silver linings in Charlie Strong's storm clouds. Doofus.

Last edited by cabezadecaballo; 11-20-16 at 09:49 AM..
Old 11-20-16, 02:36 PM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
Obviously PJ Fleck is the hot name this year. I think he actually breaks trends and sticks around at WMU.

He doesn't seem like dude who will bail for cash (set to make a million this year anyway) and he is recruiting so well I don't think this year is a fluke for them... He could build a powerhouse in Kalamazoo. I don't see him leaving for some fledgling P5 program.
Old 11-20-16, 02:46 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
LSU has a highly dysfunctional Admin, both school and athletics, so the "Boosters" can have the run of the place with little adult supervision. Easily the most dysfunctional political state too. You got to love a state that allows liquor to be served at a drive thru, doesn't seem like a Tom Herman type place. Now Bobby Petrino...

post of the day!

Does the "fuzz buster" come with a guarantee ?
Old 11-20-16, 06:15 PM
All Yappi

Would UC go after Strong if he is available? I think the guy was put in a no win situation at Texas with the politics of that job and he has proven he could win with a school that has a similar situation to UC in Louisville. He should be in their price range too as he will be sitting on a $11 million buyout from Texas.
Old 11-20-16, 08:39 PM
All American

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Would UC go after Strong if he is available? I think the guy was put in a no win situation at Texas with the politics of that job and he has proven he could win with a school that has a similar situation to UC in Louisville. He should be in their price range too as he will be sitting on a $11 million buyout from Texas.
I hope Notre Dame lands him as DC. Being the HC at Texas is draining and if you look at those guys who were fired from High Profile jobs (Chizik, Muschamp,etc.) they took Coordinator roles. It's hard to pick right up as a HC after running a major program.
Old 11-20-16, 08:40 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
The pudgy little used car salesman must go! Fire Kelly!!

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...stanford-coach

I still can't believe they extended him through 2021

Stupid Seahorn starts his morning bagging on tOSU, but now he is looking for silver linings in Charlie Strong's storm clouds. Doofus.
I want him gone, but it won't happen. That's why they need a big time hire like Strong for DC.
Old 11-20-16, 08:41 PM
All American

I'd put $ on Chip Kelly returning to Oregon.
Old 11-21-16, 07:17 AM
Cooling Off

Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBobcatFan06 View Post
Obviously PJ Fleck is the hot name this year. I think he actually breaks trends and sticks around at WMU.

He doesn't seem like dude who will bail for cash (set to make a million this year anyway) and he is recruiting so well I don't think this year is a fluke for them... He could build a powerhouse in Kalamazoo. I don't see him leaving for some fledgling P5 program.
I sincerely hope you're kidding.
Old 11-21-16, 08:52 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
I sincerely hope you're kidding.
Dude is on the Bobcat football thing. He has to be having a "tallest midget", MAC powerhouse moment. Crazy 'bout the MACtion!!!!!
Closed Thread