Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-18-16, 10:12 AM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Bearcats football 2016

Tuberville gets a two year extension when he should be on the hot seat. Smh.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-16, 02:08 PM
All District

Saint Columban is on a distinguished road
Have the details been released? i've seen nothing yet about the buyout. Thats where the real story will be. If its not been increased then this is simply for recruiting/stability etc.

Maybe they have reason to believe he is more important to the big12 discussion than we'd think.
Old 05-03-16, 12:35 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Data research shows the Big 12 should expand>http://espn.go.com/college-football/...oost-cfp-hopes

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spor...nces/83720444/
Old 05-03-16, 11:22 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
I love that they probably spend a good bit of money to come to a common sense conclusion. I know they have to take all sports into account but it's obvious football is one of the Big12's biggest concerns. It'd make absolutely no sense for them to stay at 10 teams without a championship game. Sure I love that they play everyone but's it's proven to also hurt them towards the end of the season.
Old 05-04-16, 04:45 PM
Cooling Off

Frank Underwood has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Liking UC's chances more and more. However there's a report from the Cincinnati Enquirer that's gaining national traction that Texas is pressuring Texas Tech and TCU to withhold votes to expanded. To expand 8 schools need to vote yes. Texas, TT and TCU voting no would obviously see the vote fail.
Old 05-04-16, 05:08 PM
Cooling Off

Old 05-04-16, 10:44 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Underwood View Post
Liking UC's chances more and more. However there's a report from the Cincinnati Enquirer that's gaining national traction that Texas is pressuring Texas Tech and TCU to withhold votes to expanded. To expand 8 schools need to vote yes. Texas, TT and TCU voting no would obviously see the vote fail.
Why is Texas so against expansion? Is it because of their network?
Old 05-05-16, 01:26 AM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
The Longhorn Network is a massive failure and isn't sustainable anyway. If Texas is trying to hinder progress of the Big 12 just to save their own tv deal then they're extremely short sighted.
Old 05-05-16, 07:53 AM
Cooling Off

Yeah. They don't want the Longhorn Network to be converted into the Big 12 Network. Not sure why, it's lost $48 million, I believe.
Old 05-05-16, 07:54 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Why is Texas so against expansion? Is it because of their network?
It is a big one as it has been a failure and will be re-booted some time soon as the industry moves away from the cord but there is another as big, they lose even more control of the conference. One of the primary reasons they didn't go to the PAC 12 and stayed with the Big 12 is because they are the defacto flagship University in a 10 school Conference and can call the shots the way they want it. Expansion is their last gasp at control and frankly they are bullying Texas Tech and TCU to step in line or else. Internally their thinking is no way do they keep Texas out of a football playoff if they win a Conference even if it doesn't have a Conference title game so why add schools?

Nonetheless expansion will probably come and then there will be a lot of politicking about who gets in. UC does have a lot going for it but then again who is controlling the agenda will be crucial to who the new members are. I would not be surprised if it is is UC and Houston. UC for all the obvious reasons already stated but I think that Houston gets the nod because historically Texas doesn't really view Houston as much more than a pesky program in football. If the Texas Admin helps put them over the top Houston will be forever indentured to them for getting Houston into a better conference situation. Kind of like what happened with TCU a few years back but then again TCU is now the better football program...
Old 05-05-16, 08:06 AM
Cooling Off

I don't really understand the loyalty TTU and TCU are showing to Texas. They did them a solid, that's fine and dandy. But why should TCU and TTU help Texas out? Especially when TCU has been more of a title contender in the last 5-8 years than Texas has. TCU absolutely needs the CCG to get in the playoff. What can Texas even do if they go against Texas?
Old 05-05-16, 08:10 AM
All Yappi

redskin17 is on a distinguished road
The big 12 was granted a conference championship game. It will be interesting to see if they expand. Memphis is going to be a prime target, mainly thanks to fedex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-16, 08:23 AM
All Yappi

Schedule:
Thu., Sep. 1 vs. Tennessee-Martin
Sat., Sep. 10 at Purdue
Thu., Sep. 15 vs. Houston
Sat., Sep. 24 vs. Miami (Ohio)
Sat., Oct. 1 vs. USF
Sat., Oct. 8 at UConn
Sat., Oct. 22 vs. East Carolina
Sat., Oct. 29 at Temple
Sat., Nov. 5 vs. BYU
Sat., Nov. 12 at UCF
Fri., Nov. 18 vs. Memphis
Fri., Nov. 25 at Tulsa

7 home games is nice but there are some real toss ups that can make or break their season, notably @ Purdue. If UC wants to show they deserve to be in Big 12 they need to beat a B1G bottom feeder on the road just like they will need to be able to beat an Iowa State or Kansas on the road consistently.
Old 05-05-16, 08:36 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskin17 View Post
The big 12 was granted a conference championship game. It will be interesting to see if they expand. Memphis is going to be a prime target, mainly thanks to fedex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is correct but because the Big 12 schedule has every school playing each other there could be multiple Ls for the conference title winner. In the other power 5 conferences the split gives you a break from some of the better programs and in some cases, like Iowa last year, they could play an entire season with only seeing 1 top 10 team and that is in the conference title game. This is what the data research folks called out in their presentation.

Another factor is how do you decide which teams play in the title game without Divisions? What happens when there is a 3 way tie? Do you discount a schools that has an OOC L because that makes it tougher to get into the playoff? Also say a team like West Va. runs the table and has to play a Texas team a second time in Dallas for the title, how fair is that?
Old 05-06-16, 10:48 AM
All District

Saint Columban is on a distinguished road
Need to get back to winning 10 games. Wont be easy, but very doable.
Old 05-07-16, 11:56 PM
All American

I believe they talked about going to two divisions if they expand. I'm sure they'll spend a great deal of thought and money on how to make the split. Obviously location would make sense for rivalries and travel of the Olympic sports.
Old 05-10-16, 01:05 AM
All Yappi

DOWNTOWN PANTHER is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
Tuberville gets a two year extension when he should be on the hot seat. Smh.
I have never liked the TT hire.
Old 05-10-16, 06:14 AM
All Yappi

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...172612122.html

Ouch ""The problem with Cincinnati is ... then they start getting all this money. Then what do we do? We build up somebody we don't want to build up."
Old 05-10-16, 06:33 AM
Cooling Off

They probably should have thought of that before allowing Missouri, Nebraska, A&M leave. This is what's left. No one from the other P5 wants to step down to the Big 12. Even the ACC has surpassed them. Stop being reactionary, start being proactive and you won't have to scrap the bottom of the barrel to stay somewhat relevant.
Old 05-10-16, 06:45 AM
All Yappi

IDK about that. The Big 12 still brings in more money per school than the ACC, they are about on par with the Pac 12 in that regards.

2014-2015 number

SEC- $34M
Big 12- $27.6M
Pac 12- $25.5M
Big 12- $25.3M
ACC- $22.1M
Old 05-10-16, 06:48 AM
Cooling Off

I was talking about the reputation of the conference and the level of play on the field. I'm assuming the Big 12 with $27.6M is supposed to be the Big 10?
Old 05-10-16, 07:27 AM
All Yappi

Yeah typo. The ACC is basically FSU and Clemson. Big 12 is usually ranked 3 in RPI in the Power 5 where the ACC is normally 5.
Old 05-11-16, 02:50 AM
All American

Fedex is doing anything they can to pay for Memphis' ticket to the Big12. Maybe they should start by upgrading/building them a new stadium. I've been lucky enough to visit many stadiums and the Liberty Bowl ranks at the bottom of that list. I went there for a bowl game and was strongly warned not to walk the few blocks to the stadium from my hotel due to how often fans are robbed walking due to the locals knowing fans would be carrying cash. The actually stadium and tailgate area are a complete dump. I'd compare it to the Rubber Bowl.

It's no secret that Gordan Gee isn't inviting UC officials to dinner anytime soon which could end up being a huge obstacle for them. UC and WVU often go after the same recruits and with WVU currently having the conference advantage I think they'd fight it just like he was totally against UC getting into the Big10 when he was at OSU.

Though I believe UC is the best choice due to having strong football and basketball programs it's looking more and more like that may actually hurt them.
Old 05-11-16, 06:03 AM
All Yappi

Gee has been pushing for UC to join the Big 12.
Old 05-11-16, 07:22 AM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
It's no secret that Gordan Gee isn't inviting UC officials to dinner anytime soon which could end up being a huge obstacle for them. UC and WVU often go after the same recruits and with WVU currently having the conference advantage I think they'd fight it just like he was totally against UC getting into the Big10 when he was at OSU.
The exact opposite is true.
Old 05-11-16, 08:53 AM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
ESPN reported this morning that Houston, Memphis, UCF and Colorado State have been trying to woo Big12 officials including Gee.
Old 05-11-16, 09:32 AM
All Yappi

IMO there is no one out there besides BYU for the Big 12. Like the Oklahoma guys said, the Big 12 would be basically giving a also ran a bunch of money. BYU is a national brand, heck they are a world wide brand in a sense. There are some issues, Sunday play is the main one, but I don't see how that could not be worked out.

As for the others, Houston at least has history with the other Texas schools. Memphis and UCF get them in to SEC country, but at places that most don't care about.

Colorado State is very interesting. Like UC they are dumping a ton of money into their athletics at the moment, beautiful new stadium opening soon. And can help with the Denver market. With the Big 12 backing them I can seem them passing Colorado in that state.

UC's biggest "selling" point seems to be as a travel partner for WVA. UC doesn't even own a majority share of their own market.
Old 05-11-16, 10:52 AM
All Yappi

BlessEmAll is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BlessEmAll
Seems that UC has been mediocre with Tuberville at the helm. What will help the Bearcats is getting on that Big12 stage with a new, younger and more dynamic HC like what Houston did with getting Herman.
In one year the Cougars ran through their schedule and beat up FSU and are now being talked about for a Top 5 position at the end of the season.
I would love to see the Cats make that type of move and quit being so loyal to Tuberville.
Old 05-11-16, 07:26 PM
All American

Gee has made comments numerous times that he likes UC but likes having an advantage over them more. The only times times he's really been pro UC is when talking about a travel partner and the possibility to build a true in conference rival. But he could get that with Memphis as well and Memphis looks to be offering a lot more financially right now.

I think if BYU doesn't agree to play on Sundays it could end up being a deal breaker for them. By all accounts part of the reasoning to move to 12 teams is for a large television contract. Sunday is a prime day for ratings so I'm sure they'd like the ability to schedule any team they want.
Old 05-24-16, 01:28 PM
All Yappi

After reading McCombs comments, I think IF the Big 12 expand it will be Houston and Memphis.