Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Football (NFL)

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-21-16, 11:17 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Steelers 2016 Thread

Draft needs, assuming they don't make an unexpected splash in FA:

1. CB - While I'd like to picture the 2016 secondary shutting down teams with William Gay and Cortez Allen as the top pair (while Senquez Golson and Brandon Boykin lock down the slots), I think that would be a bit of a stretch considering:
1. Gay has had an erratic career performance-wise.
2. Cortez Allen has always been a questionable starter and he'll be coming back from a season-long stint on IR.
3. I doubt Boykin will return after the way the Steelers handled him.
4. We have no idea what Golson is capable of as a pro.

Gay is 31; they can't rely on him much longer. We can only hope Golson turns out to be the ball hawk he was in college... They need some more new, young talent and some insurance here. My hope is that they replace Antwan Blake with a high draft pick.

2. S - Will Allen is an UFA and turns 34 in June. Shamarko Thomas hasn't shown much of anything in three years. In fact, today Tomlin had this to say about Thomas, "I thought he did a good job, particularly as a core special teamer...He's still evolving as a defender...I like his work. I don't think it's from a lack of effort, it just hasn't come together for him, yet. We'll continue to work with him. In the meantime, we'll continue to appreciate the contributions that he provides us as a core member of our special teams unit." Not exactly the kind of thing a coach says about player he expects to be a starter next season.

I'm expecting a 1-year deal for Allen, and hoping they grab a S somewhere in the first three rounds.

Tomlin also acknowledged the team may look into moving Doran Grant to safety. I assume he would take the place of FA Robert Golden.

3. DT - I honestly hope McLendon is a cap casualty.

I'd hoped Daniel McCullers would develop and supplant McLendon this season, but that never happened. Maybe next year could be his year. We'll see.

Either way, McCullers or draftee, if they could upgrade here it would solidify the DL as elite.

4. OLB - Harrison will eventually fall off, and I think Jones has been a pretty big disappointment.
5. TE - James could be good but both Miller and Spaeth are getting old.
6. DE depth - Heyward and Tuitt are beasts but there's not much behind them.
7. QB depth - If Bruce Gradkowski retires or doesn't re-sign, I could see this possibly being a bigger need. IMO, another veteran FA would be the best move if he does, in fact, leave.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-16, 10:47 AM
Fake coolin' off

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Steelers suck!
Old 01-22-16, 11:07 AM
Cooling Off

James Cramerica can only hope to improve
Old 01-22-16, 01:29 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Go Mets!
Old 01-22-16, 01:57 PM
All Yappi

O'Doyle rules!
Old 01-22-16, 02:04 PM
All American

SportsGenius is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
Draft needs, assuming they don't make an unexpected splash in FA:

1. CB - While I'd like to picture the 2016 secondary shutting down teams with William Gay and Cortez Allen as the top pair (while Senquez Golson and Brandon Boykin lock down the slots), I think that would be a bit of a stretch considering:
1. Gay has had an erratic career performance-wise.
2. Cortez Allen has always been a questionable starter and he'll be coming back from a season-long stint on IR.
3. I doubt Boykin will return after the way the Steelers handled him.
4. We have no idea what Golson is capable of as a pro.

Gay is 31; they can't rely on him much longer. We can only hope Golson turns out to be the ball hawk he was in college... They need some more new, young talent and some insurance here. My hope is that they replace Antwan Blake with a high draft pick.

2. S - Will Allen is an UFA and turns 34 in June. Shamarko Thomas hasn't shown much of anything in three years. In fact, today Tomlin had this to say about Thomas, "I thought he did a good job, particularly as a core special teamer...He's still evolving as a defender...I like his work. I don't think it's from a lack of effort, it just hasn't come together for him, yet. We'll continue to work with him. In the meantime, we'll continue to appreciate the contributions that he provides us as a core member of our special teams unit." Not exactly the kind of thing a coach says about player he expects to be a starter next season.

I'm expecting a 1-year deal for Allen, and hoping they grab a S somewhere in the first three rounds.

Tomlin also acknowledged the team may look into moving Doran Grant to safety. I assume he would take the place of FA Robert Golden.

3. DT - I honestly hope McLendon is a cap casualty.

I'd hoped Daniel McCullers would develop and supplant McLendon this season, but that never happened. Maybe next year could be his year. We'll see.

Either way, McCullers or draftee, if they could upgrade here it would solidify the DL as elite.

4. OLB - Harrison will eventually fall off, and I think Jones has been a pretty big disappointment.
5. TE - James could be good but both Miller and Spaeth are getting old.
6. DE depth - Heyward and Tuitt are beasts but there's not much behind them.
7. QB depth - If Bruce Gradkowski retires or doesn't re-sign, I could see this possibly being a bigger need. IMO, another veteran FA would be the best move if he does, in fact, leave.
Apparently Will Allen wanted to retire after last season, but only returned after Tomlin made personal pleas to him to help the team. Sounds like Allen is ready to move on. I think Golden will be resigned and Ive seen ideas floated of Cortez Allen or Doran Grant moving to free safety which would allow Mike Mitchell to play strong safety which he might be more suited for. One article I read talked about how Allen might be better at FS than he was at CB. Has the size, speed, and willingness and capability to tackle. His problem seemed to be getting his head turned to locate the ball and avoid PI while running on the WR's hip. As a FS he would always have the ball in front of him, so his athleticism could make him a solid FS. Who knows, but they have some options internally, could look to free agency, or a mid round draft pick.
Old 01-22-16, 04:54 PM
All Yappi

Allen retiring would be pretty bad news, I think. Thomas and Golden are special teamers. Allen and Grant have little or no experience at the position. A rookie might be the best bet in that scenario.
Old 01-26-16, 10:41 AM
All American

I think Golden is serviceable in the short term while a potential rookie gets up to speed or a guy like Allen or Grant make the transition. Several mock drafts have the Steelers taking CB Eli Apple out of Ohio State. He has great size and athletic ability from what i've read. The issue is he is raw so he would likely need some time to develop and not be a year 1 contributor
Old 01-26-16, 12:33 PM
Fake coolin' off

I like Eli Apple a lot. Definitely hoping I don't have to hate him because the Steelers draft him.
Old 01-26-16, 01:50 PM
Cooling Off

James Cramerica can only hope to improve
What makes you like Eli Apple, EP?
Old 01-26-16, 01:55 PM
Cooling Off

Frank Underwood has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Friend shared an ESPN link with the headline of Ben being suspended for 6 games. Got super stoked, opened the link and then say it was frmo 2010. dang.
Old 01-28-16, 03:38 PM
All Yappi

Things don't look good for Cortez Allen after Tomlin's refusal to comment on him. I think he'll be a post-June 1 cut
Old 02-01-16, 07:53 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
D'angelo Williams (not Hall) on Boomer Esiason's CBS show this morning was a terrific interview. Great banter, and worth pulling up the podcast.

Williams looking forward to wearing Black and Gold and hating Bengals again next year. I think he'll have a job in broadcasting if he wants it.
Old 02-01-16, 02:40 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Didnt get to see the playoffs as I was basically in 'lock down' mode and could only follow on my phone with periodic updates and it was frustrating to see have AB out of that game.
I think they have 1-2 more serious runs at it with ben and the team they have and then that window closes.

Offensively if they can stay healthy with this corp it is good enough to win it all. Think the defense started to mesh later so hopefully if they can hit on some draft picks, maybe bring in a FA to solidify, that they can compete in the next 1-2...after that...the team will not be able to be sustained
Old 02-01-16, 07:05 PM
All American

I am starting to hope they draft Darian Thompson out of Boise St. 6'2 210 safety with good athletic ability and ball skills from what Ive seen in the little Ive read so far.
Old 02-04-16, 10:55 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
wtf?

Old 02-04-16, 12:23 PM
All Yappi

I guess he's a fan of 90s hairstyles
Old 02-04-16, 01:02 PM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
He looks like a tetris tile
Old 02-04-16, 01:12 PM
Fake coolin' off

You have to rotate him 180 degrees to fit! Hurry!!!!!
Old 02-19-16, 02:58 PM
All American

Heath Miller has retired. Awesome career. Underrated across the NFL. One of the most consistent and reliable players for the Steelers the last 11 years.

They like Jesse James, but you gotta think this moves TE up in the draft strategy.
Old 02-19-16, 03:15 PM
All Yappi

Team HOFer for sure. Sucks. Thought he might have a couple more years left
Old 02-19-16, 03:18 PM
All American

I thought next year would be his last and it sounds like the Steelers were a little surprised too.
Old 02-19-16, 06:37 PM
All Ohio

sodbuster is on a distinguished road
Thank You Heath, for a job and career well done!
Old 02-22-16, 10:39 AM
All World

Bballer05
the love that Heath gets from Steeler nation kind of reminds me when Aaron Smith retired. one of the most underrated guys, but most beloved on the team and within the organization. i believe Smith retired a little early as well (if i remember correctly i thought his had more to do with something injury related).

i thought Heath would have at least one more year as well.

class act and i believe the best TE in Steelers history.
Old 02-22-16, 10:53 AM
All American

Smith definitely didn't retire early. He had several injuries and his production had started to dip.
Old 02-22-16, 12:53 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
I thought he would stick around for one more season to finish his contract and see if they can get back to the SB. I am very surprised. IF the team sucked, then I guess I could have seen it.
Old 02-24-16, 02:21 PM
All Yappi

I wonder if Antonio Gates would come cheaper than normal for a shot at a SB before he retires
Old 02-24-16, 04:00 PM
Cooling Off

Frank Underwood has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Stillers defense is probably not up to it still. Plus we'll see how Bell comes back.
Old 02-25-16, 04:20 PM
All Yappi

The defense was alright in the playoffs. If they upgrade at CB they'll be fine
Old 02-25-16, 04:25 PM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
The defense was alright in the playoffs. If they upgrade at CB they'll be fine
Agree. I'm optimistic about this defense if they can add a few pieces i think there is a huge upside.