Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Football (NFL)

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-07-15, 08:34 AM
All Yappi

TheDude is on a distinguished road
Bengals Thread 2015

Schedule:

Home - Baltimore, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, San Diego, St. Louis, Seattle, and Houston
Away - Baltimore, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Denver, Oakland, Arizona, San Francisco, and Buffalo

At first glance, this looks like it will be a pretty difficult schedule. Especially the away games. Cincinnati has historically not played well on the west coast and going to Arizona, SF, and Denver are gonna be tough. Then you have a pretty tough home schedule as well. Hopefully they make some real notable offseason moves to get this team to the playoffs again and get over that hump.

As for off season moves, with free agents, I think that the Bengals should remove ties with Gresham, Tate, Newman and Nugent. They should definitely resign Maualuga, Boling, Lamur, and Winston. Outside of those names, I am indifferent on whether or not the resign the rest or let them go.

Draft:

With the 21st pick in the draft, they have the opportunity to really improve their DL or OL. In the projected top 50 on the big board, there are 8 DE, 5 DT, 8 OT, and 1 OG. Which should give plenty of opportunity for the Bengals to get an impact player on one of these lines.

In mock drafts, analysts have the Bengals picking all over the place..
Alvin Dupree (UK) DE - 6'4" 267
Ereck Flowers (Miami) OT - 6'5" 322
TJ Clemmings (Pitt) OT - 6'5" 305
Shilique Calhoun (MSU) DE - 6'5" 256

I would have no problem drafting an OL or a DL personally. Whitworth is getting older and is Newhouse going to be a true replacement? Did not look like it when he was in there for A. Smith. I do not think that the Bengals should spend their first round pick on a CB or LB, which some analysts say is going to happen.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-15, 11:11 AM
All Yappi

jtk has a little shameless behaviour in the past
is there enough depth to help the secondary out? with a lot of those guys getting older a younger body would help there also.

jtk
()
Old 01-07-15, 11:26 AM
All Yappi

Jhubbs77 is on a distinguished road
This team needs help on the DL immediately. You can't draft an OL who isn't even going to play in the 1st round. I see no reason why Whit doesn't still have a few years in him, this might've been the best year of his career
Old 01-07-15, 11:33 AM
All American

RAHRAH4KENTON is on a distinguished road
As long as the 2014 Bungles stay healthy they go undefeated win SB Soft lewis rides off to the NFL HOF. Tears in Miami start flowing. Move over Don Shula you have company. This happens as long as the "starters stay healthy".
Old 01-07-15, 11:39 AM
All Yappi

I think with Hall (8 years), Jones (8 years), Kirkpatrick (3 years) and Dennard (1 year), they will be alright at CB. They also have Lewis-Harris (2 years) and Newman (12 years) if they want to resign, but CB should not be high priority in my opinion. I think they will be able to handle it with the first 4 mentioned, and a FA pick up or two. And regarding S, Iloka (3 years) and Nelson (8 years) have not shown too many signs of aging. I think they will be able to hold their own still.

I just cannot see them going secondary again in the first round. I would not have a problem picking up a guy or two in the later rounds to help out like you said. They need a OL or DL in round one. Look at Dallas for example. Arguably the best OL in the game today. Three of the last four first round picks they have had have been OL and look how dominate their running game and their pass protection is.. I would love to see the Bengals with the same kind of line in front of Hill. Not to mention, give Andy some time to make some throws. I like where we are currently with the line, with the exception of the RT position and if the Bengals start both Winston and Whitworth next year that will be the 10th year for both of them.

Then you have DL... We all know that 20 sacks does not do it.. We desperately need a DL presence on the other side of Dunlap. Whether that is getting someone like JPP or drafting high on a DL.
Old 01-07-15, 11:42 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhubbs77 View Post
This team needs help on the DL immediately. You can't draft an OL who isn't even going to play in the 1st round. I see no reason why Whit doesn't still have a few years in him, this might've been the best year of his career
I agree, but there is no guarantee that Winston comes back and God knows that having another OL on the roster doesn't hurt. Newhouse does not look like the future. I agree, however that we need a DL desperately. But I would be ok with both
Old 01-07-15, 11:46 AM
All Yappi

Winston isn't playing over Andre. He would be nice to hang onto for depth for next year as he's definitely better than Newhouse though
Old 01-07-15, 12:12 PM
All Yappi

He very well may not, but I am not a fan of Andre. He was tied for the team lead in penalties and he only played 9 games... Also, tied for the team lead in pre snap penalties (tied with Gresham but who would have guessed that lol)
Old 01-07-15, 12:34 PM
All Yappi

sorry, i wasn't suggesting taking a secondary player in round 1. i think they need to keep getting younger there and was just curious if there were guys in the later rounds worth getting. obviously they need to upgrade the DL and depth on OL is always good!

jtk
()
Old 01-07-15, 12:56 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
He very well may not, but I am not a fan of Andre. He was tied for the team lead in penalties and he only played 9 games... Also, tied for the team lead in pre snap penalties (tied with Gresham but who would have guessed that lol)
Yeah he had some really bad performances this year, notably the Indy game but he was rated as like the 6th best RT in the league the season before. I'm willing to say his injuries played a role in performance and he'll be okay next season
Old 01-07-15, 01:40 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Yeah he had some really bad performances this year, notably the Indy game but he was rated as like the 6th best RT in the league the season before. I'm willing to say his injuries played a role in performance and he'll be okay next season
I hope so, but that is another thing that makes me hesitant about Smith. His health. With his ankle problems, and now this bicep (or tricep ??) injury.. will he be able to perform up to his 6th best rating??
Old 01-07-15, 01:47 PM
All Yappi

UncleBaldy is on a distinguished road
My observation last Sunday was that the Bengals biggest problem lies along their lines (offense and defense). The lack of pressure on Luck last Sunday was astounding. Also, the offense should have been able to run the ball against the Colts, but they could not. Now, some of this was from predictability (running the same plays over and over again) but they need to establish an identity. They can't seem to. Their play calling does not make use of their available talent or is not appropriate to the situation (e.g., 20-30 yard patterns when all they need is 6-7). I don't think it will matter who they get if they can't take advantage of their abilities. Maybe they ought to try drafting coaches.
Old 01-07-15, 01:52 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
I hope so, but that is another thing that makes me hesitant about Smith. His health. With his ankle problems, and now this bicep (or tricep ??) injury.. will he be able to perform up to his 6th best rating??
Dont forget Eifert. Hes/shes been hurt more then hes/shes played. Next man up!. You 3 keep crying about whos hurt? 53man roster pluse a practice squad! Next man up. Play football! Its really not that hard! Excuse after excuse! PLAY BALL BOYS!!(im smiling)
Old 01-07-15, 01:54 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBaldy View Post
My observation last Sunday was that the Bengals biggest problem lies along their lines (offense and defense). The lack of pressure on Luck last Sunday was astounding. Also, the offense should have been able to run the ball against the Colts, but they could not. Now, some of this was from predictability (running the same plays over and over again) but they need to establish an identity. They can't seem to. Their play calling does not make use of their available talent or is not appropriate to the situation (e.g., 20-30 yard patterns when all they need is 6-7). I don't think it will matter who they get if they can't take advantage of their abilities. Maybe they ought to try drafting coaches.
Here is someone who gets it! Its COACHING who you have!
Old 01-07-15, 02:16 PM
All Yappi

oh god, here goes this thread down the pot! its like watching one of those water slides at coney island where hoffy used to work!

jtk
()
Old 01-07-15, 02:17 PM
All American

Thank you! Ill be here all year!

Sometimes reality bites!
Old 01-07-15, 03:19 PM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Why the heck does someone from Kenton care more about the Bengals than their actual fans?
Old 01-07-15, 03:26 PM
All American

Why the heck do you care about Kenton?
Old 01-07-15, 04:34 PM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
I don't. Given that I've never posting a single thing in any threads regarding the place I'm not sure why you'd think I do. That being said, none of that explains your obsession with the Bengals.
Old 01-07-15, 04:39 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
You don't win in the NFL with a total lack of talent on the field which is what the Bengals had against the Colts. They stacked the box all game and the Bengals didn't have a single guy who could beat man coverage because they were playing nothing but practice squad level receivers
Old 01-07-15, 04:44 PM
All Region

bobbyw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
I don't. Given that I've never posting a single thing in any threads regarding the place I'm not sure why you'd think I do. That being said, none of that explains your obsession with the Bengals.

wtf? we can only be a fan of one team and that team has to be mentioned in our user name?

- you should probably stay away a little bit longer TD...
Old 01-07-15, 08:03 PM
All Ohio

Patrice O'Neal is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
You don't win in the NFL with a total lack of talent on the field which is what the Bengals had against the Colts. They stacked the box all game and the Bengals didn't have a single guy who could beat man coverage because they were playing nothing but practice squad level receivers
Exactly. I have no problems with Hue Jackson whatsoever.

As for the draft, DL over OL for sure in round 1 but drafting OL early is never a bad thing. Whit was easily the best player on the team this year, I think he'll be fine for a bit longer. The biggest issue was the lack of a pass rush on defense. Get one in round 1 then go best available after that, as long as it's not an RB.
Old 01-07-15, 08:04 PM
All Ohio

Patrice O'Neal is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw View Post
wtf? we can only be a fan of one team and that team has to be mentioned in our user name?

- you should probably stay away a little bit longer TD...
Yeah TD is the problem here, not RAHRAH. You really nailed it there bobby
Old 01-07-15, 09:58 PM
All Yappi

UncleBaldy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
There are other teams that can. What do they have that the Bengals don't? The answer is coaching and a game plan that takes advantage of the players that they have.
Old 01-07-15, 10:03 PM
All Region

bobbyw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrice O'Neal View Post
Yeah TD is the problem here, not RAHRAH. You really nailed it there bobby

I didn't comment one way or the other about rahrah - clearly you guys have that covered thoroughly - but TD's comment was just plain stupid...
Old 01-07-15, 10:19 PM
All American

are you callin me out?
Old 01-07-15, 10:29 PM
All American

Quote:
Like their coach the bungles play SOFT. That is the bungles identity SOFT like their coach! PERIOD!!
Old 01-07-15, 11:42 PM
All Yappi

how many teams played without their top 4 of 5 wideouts at any point during the season?

please stay on topic.....which is the bengals next year......2 people on yappi think its the coaching staff (now quit trolling) and let the others discuss the real issues with this team.

pass rush, getting better on the OL (it is adequate already when healthy), and keep getting good young talent to play defense.

jtk
()
Old 01-08-15, 07:51 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtk View Post
how many teams played without their top 4 of 5 wideouts at any point during the season?

please stay on topic.....which is the bengals next year......2 people on yappi think its the coaching staff (now quit trolling) and let the others discuss the real issues with this team.

pass rush, getting better on the OL (it is adequate already when healthy), and keep getting good young talent to play defense.

jtk
()
"please stay on topic" coming form someone who calls names you have the nerve to suggest to me to "please stay on topic" at least you said please
As far as other teams? I could careless about other teams.

I suggested the bungles could sign Suh to help with the much needed pass rush but all you could do is call me names. Also the bumgles need new leadership!

GROW-UP!
Old 01-08-15, 08:08 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
There are other teams that can. What do they have that the Bengals don't? The answer is coaching and a game plan that takes advantage of the players that they have.
Where I do agree slightly with this, I think that Hue has done a good job this year with changing up the offensive game plan to suit Dalton. Clearly Dalton does not do well with don the field throws (especially without Green). So what did the Bengals do? Run and throw those 5-10 yard routes.

I hope they use more of the read option with Dalton next year. He excels at this, having done it in college, and when they did it in the season this year, it was relatively successful.