Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-21-14, 09:30 AM
All District

Make a Play is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingreen6 View Post
That's because we like playing the best, even if that means we are probably going to get beat. That is why we were able to beat VASJ last year. VASJ was faster and more athletic than Mogadore, but our kids responded by playing a a hard-fought and inspired football game. As a former Mogadore player, and now a fan, I know that Mogadore will probably lose around half of the time to private schools. But my mentality has always been that when you play the best it provides a measuring stick. Not only in terms of skill, but also intestinal fortitude.
It's official - bleedingreen6 is my favorite poster on yappi. This is exactly how everyone/team should think. Low and behold, the programs with this mentality are the one's hanging up banners.
Old 05-21-14, 09:31 AM
All District

big medicine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEWOLF View Post
http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...104T00&p0=2275

897 days

Non publics have played with an advantage for 41 years, 6 months, 14 days
http://www.timeanddate.com/date/dura...&d2=18&y2=2014

So what's the over/under on days till the next competitive balance proposal ?

Does the clock start in 897 days, or will they even be able to wait that long ?
Old 05-21-14, 09:33 AM
All District

Make a Play is on a distinguished road
And I bet bleedgreen6 will say the victories over the non-publics were the sweetest wins! Kudos to the communities like Mogadore that have built successful programs.
Old 05-21-14, 09:44 AM
All Yappi

PantherVOR is on a distinguished road
Quote:
These types always try explain away why some programs are successful. Instead they should focus on what deficiencies their own program has and correct them. Look in more mirrors and less windows. That's about the best advice I can give these guys.

Great post Serpico!

Old 05-21-14, 09:50 AM
All American

bleedingreen6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Make a Play View Post
And I bet bleedgreen6 will say the victories over the non-publics were the sweetest wins! Kudos to the communities like Mogadore that have built successful programs.
Absolutely. The atmosphere of the game was and still is a little different when you are playing a private school. Usually because everyone outside and some inside of the community expect you to lose. We used to feed off of that negativity and I know for a fact that the kids still do. When your back is up against the wall, that's when your true character is revealed.

I think too many publics go into games with privates already defeated with built in excuses like: Well if we lose it's because they recruit or they have better facilities. Instead they should be saying who the h*** cares who they are, we know who we are, and we are going to kick their a**. Or something to that nature. To that effect, high school playoff football is just as much a mental challenge as a physical one. Whether you believe you should win or you should lose, you are always correct.
Old 05-21-14, 09:59 AM
All American

Summa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lc5397 View Post
Kirtland is not 3rd, BTW. You're thinking of Kirtland Hills, which is a small village of about 400 people, and is split between the Kirtland and Mentor School Districts. It's an old money enclave with very few families with students who attend public schools. The few households with school aged children are more the Hawken/University crowd. Kind of like Waite Hill.

Lake County's ranking as 8th is somewhat misleading. There's a lot more concentrated wealth in Cuyahoga County but their numbers are pulled down by the City of Cleveland and some of the inner ring suburbs. Lake County doesn't even have the old industrial legacy cities like Lorain County does (Lorain and Elyria) or any smaller, poorer rural districts. Basically, Lake County scores so well by this metric by the lack of low outliers to pull the numbers down.
Exactly. He has no clue what a truly wealthy area is. Mentor is middle class and is nowhere near one of the wealthiest areas in the state. Other areas have significant wealth but those area's numbers are misleading because of pockets of poorer neighborhoods in those communities. I guess Journey has never been to the wealthy parts of Cleveland Heights, Shaker Heights, Rocky River, Lakewood or to other very wealthy communities like Orange, Pepper Pike, Moreland Hills, Gates Mills, Bratenahl, Bentleyville, Chagrin Falls, Beachwood, Westlake, Solon, South Russell, etc... Comparing Mentor to the wealth in these areas is apples to oranges and is a little silly. I am in no way putting down Mentor, it is a great community but it is predominantly middle class with very little of the extreme wealth that you see in other areas around Cleveland.

Last edited by Summa; 05-21-14 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-21-14, 10:06 AM
All American

Quote:
Absolutely. The atmosphere of the game was and still is a little different when you are playing a private school. Usually because everyone outside and some inside of the community expect you to lose. We used to feed off of that negativity and I know for a fact that the kids still do. When your back is up against the wall, that's when your true character is revealed.

I think too many publics go into games with privates already defeated with built in excuses like: Well if we lose it's because they recruit or they have better facilities. Instead they should be saying who the h*** cares who they are, we know who we are, and we are going to kick their a**. Or something to that nature. To that effect, high school playoff football is just as much a mental challenge as a physical one. Whether you believe you should win or you should lose, you are always correct.

Bleedinggreen, that is why Mogadore is and will continue to be an elite small school program. The last time I was at your stadium was for a freshman game about 8 years ago. I absolutely love that stadium. Old well kept stadiums packed into older neighborhoods are the best IMO. Good luck to Mogadore again this year, maybe we will meet in the playoffs. My alma mater, St. Thomas Aquinas will not be effected or moved up a division under this proposal, our kids are almost entirely from our Catholic feeder schools. Moving up would actually probably be easier since I think D6 Region 19 is tougher than D5 Region 15. Oh well we are stuck in a loaded region with great programs like Kirtland and Mogadore.

Last edited by Summa; 05-21-14 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-21-14, 10:18 AM
All American

THEWOLF is on a distinguished road
Quote:

You just admitted non-public's have a competitive advantage. This is exactly a perfect example of why it has taken 42 years to do something about the non-public advantage. Underdogs do win. But you have admitted it was based on something other then a level advantage related to talent. You drank the kool-aid and won. When actually your team has been a wiping boy for nopublics that have played with an advantage since 1972. I know this will make you angry I'm sorry. Talk to your old coach's if they are still around about this advantage. I bet they will say yes non-public's do have an advantage but we had to play who ever OHSAA told us to play.
Old 05-21-14, 10:22 AM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You just admitted non-public's have a competitive advantage. This is exactly a perfect example of why it has taken 42 years to do something about the non-public advantage. Underdogs do win. But you have admitted it was based on something other then a level advantage related to talent. You drank the kool-aid and won. When actually your team has been a wiping boy for nopublics that have played with an advantage since 1972. I know this will make you angry I'm sorry. Talk to your old coach's if they are still around about this advantage. I bet they will say yes non-public's do have an advantage but we had to play who ever OHSAA told us to play.
They are PRIVATE schools. Why can't you say it?

And the difference between you and the other poster? He believed they could win. You, well, you knew it was a loss as soon as the schedule came out.
Old 05-21-14, 10:34 AM
All American

Quote:
Believe me, I pride myself on being an independent thinker. I'm not drinking any Kool-aid that was mixed by another human being. I mix my own sugared beverages thank you very much! But I prefer coffee. Anybody up for a Dunkin' donuts run!

Wolf, I'm not angry with you. I was just trying to let you take a glimpse into the culture of a championship level program. And believe me my former coach would never make any excuses or admit to being inferior in any way to private school programs. If we lost it was because we weren't good enough, not because another school had an advantage. You don't get how winners think do you? In a way, I kind of feel bad that you can't understand my perspective on this issue.
Old 05-21-14, 10:51 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
Bleedinggreen, that is why Mogadore is and will continue to be an elite small school program. The last time I was at your stadium was for a freshman game about 8 years ago. I absolutely love that stadium. Old well kept stadiums packed into older neighborhoods are the best IMO. Good luck to Mogadore again this year, maybe we will meet in the playoffs. My alma mater, St. Thomas Aquinas will not be effected or moved up a division under this proposal, our kids are almost entirely from our Catholic feeder schools. Moving up would actually probably be easier since I think D6 Region 19 is tougher than D5 Region 15. Oh well we are stuck in a loaded region with great programs like Kirtland and Mogadore.
I have a feeling our paths will meet sometime. If not this year, then in the next few years. My college football linebackers coach went to Aquinas. He would never let me forget about how his team beat Mogadore when he played there. I also played with a few guys that went to Aquinas at Walsh University. Good luck to you as well. We will both need it to try to dethrone Kirtland (public!!!!, lol) from there seat as reigning state champs.

FYI- we will stay div 6 as well, being one of the smallest schools in div 6, and only having a handful of players living outside the district, most of which have been going to Mogadore local schools since grade school.
Old 05-21-14, 11:00 AM
All American

Quote:
Believe me, I pride myself on being an independent thinker. I'm not drinking any Kool-aid that was mixed by another human being. I mix my own sugared beverages thank you very much! But I prefer coffee. Anybody up for a Dunkin' donuts run!

Wolf, I'm not angry with you. I was just trying to let you take a glimpse into the culture of a championship level program. And believe me my former coach would never make any excuses or admit to being inferior in any way to private school programs. If we lost it was because we weren't good enough, not because another school had an advantage. You don't get how winners think do you? In a way, I kind of feel bad that you can't understand my perspective on this issue.
No need to feel bad, truth is anyone that played Ohio high school football is a winner. Champion or not. That still doesn't address the advantage non-publics have. I find it hard to believe your championship coaches wouldn't admit the advantage. That's my take and a majority of OHSAA's members. Remember before 1972 Massilion won 28 titles.
Old 05-21-14, 11:09 AM
All American

Quote:
No need to feel bad, truth is anyone that played Ohio high school football is a winner. Champion or not. That still doesn't address the advantage non-publics have. I find it hard to believe your championship coaches wouldn't admit the advantage. That's my take and a majority of OHSAA's members. Remember before 1972 Massilion won 28 titles.
I guess to some my feelings up I will say this. As to whether or not privates have a perceived advantage: who care's, beat their a** anyway.

Wolf, even of you are right, and privates do have an advantage. Isn't it better that public school kids learn that life isn't always fair. Public school kids should realize during high school that they are going to have to work hard to be successful. That's life. And nothing is ever fair in the game of life!
Old 05-21-14, 11:10 AM
Freshman

XMAS is on a distinguished road
Talk about an advatange, there are 820 schools in the OHSAA, only 72 are private, 748 public and they can't vote the privates out, you can't even do that right.
Old 05-21-14, 12:32 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMAS View Post
Talk about an advatange, there are 820 schools in the OHSAA, only 72 are private, 748 public and they can't vote the privates out, you can't even do that right.
Only 72 non-publics play football. You just had a hyperbole.
Old 05-21-14, 12:55 PM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enough
I am dumber for reading this thread.

I'll circle back to this topic in 2016.
Old 05-21-14, 01:15 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post

LOL. I have not posted all that much on the CB threads this year but have the last few days and I am now starting to have some trouble tying my shoes.
Old 05-21-14, 01:20 PM
All American

Quote:
I have a feeling our paths will meet sometime. If not this year, then in the next few years. My college football linebackers coach went to Aquinas. He would never let me forget about how his team beat Mogadore when he played there. I also played with a few guys that went to Aquinas at Walsh University. Good luck to you as well. We will both need it to try to dethrone Kirtland (public!!!!, lol) from there seat as reigning state champs.

FYI- we will stay div 6 as well, being one of the smallest schools in div 6, and only having a handful of players living outside the district, most of which have been going to Mogadore local schools since grade school.
Here is an example of what you stated earlier about how quickly this nation is declining and this "competitive balance" nonsense is just a symptom of a disease quickly spreading through the nation:

http://weaselzippers.us/186656-middl...too-exclusive/

You can find examples of this kind of thing pretty much weekly in the national media. Things like this would have been laughed at 20 or 30 years ago. We are not preparing our kids very well for an ultra competitive world.
Old 05-21-14, 01:22 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
LOL. I have not posted all that much on the CB threads this year but have the last few days and I am now starting to have some trouble tying my shoes.
Wolf only wears loafers.
Old 05-21-14, 01:39 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
Wolf only wears loafers.
A new form of shoe. It should revolutionize shoes. They call it Velcro. I have to go now the Patty Duke show is on. stay thirsty and hyperbole.
Old 05-21-14, 02:37 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post

No dumber than THEWOLF.
Old 05-21-14, 04:20 PM
All Yappi

the_big_toe will become famous soon enough
Quote:
http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...104T00&p0=2275

897 days

Non publics have played with an advantage for 41 years, 6 months, 14 days
http://www.timeanddate.com/date/dura...&d2=18&y2=2014
Forgive my ignorance on the topic, but what, exactly, was it that gave the "non-publics" an advantage on November 4, 1972? Was there some rule change on that date?
Old 05-22-14, 09:13 AM
All American

896 days
Old 05-22-14, 11:42 AM
All Yappi

Thank you for the update. I look forward to your next update.
Old 05-22-14, 07:37 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_big_toe View Post
Forgive my ignorance on the topic, but what, exactly, was it that gave the "non-publics" an advantage on November 4, 1972? Was there some rule change on that date?
Apparently, THEWOLF cannot answer my question, so I'll open it up to anyone. Anyone able to point me to some change that took place on November 4th, 1972 that gave "non-publics" (as he calls them) some kind of advantage?
Old 05-22-14, 09:49 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Apparently, THEWOLF cannot answer my question, so I'll open it up to anyone. Anyone able to point me to some change that took place on November 4th, 1972 that gave "non-publics" (as he calls them) some kind of advantage?
You must forgive him....he isn't good at answering direct questions.

I am guessing that is when the playoffs started in Ohio high school football.

How that gave private schools an advantage, I don't know.
Old 05-23-14, 07:09 AM
All American

895 days until OHSAA unties the one hand public's have had to play with for 42 years.

If only publics have been able to play with both hands all those years like the non-public's have.
Old 05-23-14, 01:23 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
895 days until OHSAA unties the one hand public's have had to play with for 42 years.

If only publics have been able to play with both hands all those years like the non-public's have.
Again, please point out the specific rule change that took place to "tie the publics' hands" as you claim.

Is it really that they just changed from a poll championship to a tournament championship? And how would that advantage non-publics over publics?
Old 05-23-14, 01:42 PM
All American

lc5397 is on a distinguished road
Actually, the change in 1972 from "paper" champions to the playoffs leveled the playing field between publics and privates. The poll era was dominated by a handful of large, well known public schools who won the majority of titles.

So, private schools had one arm tied behind their backs for 90 some years? That translates into about 32,000 days.

Quote:
Again, please point out the specific rule change that took place to "tie the publics' hands" as you claim.

Is it really that they just changed from a poll championship to a tournament championship? And how would that advantage non-publics over publics?
Old 05-23-14, 01:45 PM
All World

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lc5397 View Post
Actually, the change in 1972 from "paper" champions to the playoffs leveled the playing field between publics and privates. The poll era was dominated by a handful of large, well known public schools who won the majority of titles.

So, private schools had one arm tied behind their backs for 90 some years? That translates into about 32,000 days.
stop............... lol