Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-20-14, 11:16 AM
Junior Varsity

InLancWeTrust is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish82 View Post

Explain this one to me???? Must be my public school education???
Old 05-20-14, 11:22 AM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingreen6 View Post
The world seems to be in the process of being taken over by people who think the world owes them something. Like the OHSAA owes my school a state championship trophy so they better legislate laws to make this happen. I used to be in favor for competitive balance, but after hearing from the kind of people that are on that side of the argument I have changed my stance. I have never heard so much whining and poor me excuses in my entire life. It's sad what this world is coming to.
You speak the truth. People make too much money, let's redistribute their wealth. Schools win too many state titles, let's put wild formulas in place to stop that.

I guess we could call them the "I struck out but someone please give me a home run" crowd.
Old 05-20-14, 11:24 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLancWeTrust View Post
Explain this one to me???? Must be my public school education???
I can but don't won't to steal fish's thunder. Try to guess....
Old 05-20-14, 11:44 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
I guess we could call them the "I struck out but someone please give me a home run" crowd.
Whole heartily agree. This group is just as bad as the "born on third base hit a triple" crew. This issue is not as black and white as that. Honestly it is the few smaller division private schools that have took advantage of the system that are the problem. We all know who they are. It hasn't been right. AT ALL. I feel something should be done about that and obviously I wasn't alone.

The juicebox thing I predict will neither be funny or make sense.

Journey has had me in stitches with his posts. He's obviously bringing the heat with his takes.
Old 05-20-14, 11:52 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Whole heartily agree. This group is just as bad as the "born on third base hit a triple" crew. This issue is not as black and white as that. Honestly it is the few smaller division private schools that have took advantage of the system that are the problem. We all know who they are. It hasn't been right. AT ALL. I feel something should be done about that and obviously I wasn't alone.

Journey has had me in stitches with his posts. He's obviously bringing the heat with his takes.
Don't you mean the mid-division privates? D3-d5. D7 (and formerly d6) is dominated by Marion local. So you're in favor of trashing the system with over 700 members because of 5 successful programs?

The juice box joke is quite funny and makes a lot of sense.
Old 05-20-14, 11:59 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Don't you mean the mid-division privates? D3-d5. D7 (and formerly d6) is dominated by Marion local. So you're in favor of trashing the system with over 700 members because of 5 successful programs?

The juice box joke is quite funny and makes a lot of sense.
YES, if taking advantage of the system is what you deem success for those 5 programs. And you are right let me amend my statement to mid-division.

Well explain it then pal. It can't be that great. Like I said I understood and cracked up at everything Journey said.
Old 05-20-14, 12:08 PM
All American

hoodrat is on a distinguished road
For as long as this has been discussed the proponents of change have been referred to as "the juice boxers" because they felt that something wasn't fair.....but a quick look at this and other threads raises a couple questions......
Who's crying now? And if the other side perceives an injustice are they the new juice box crowd?
Not that much is going to change, no one is getting punished. Lighten up people...it's only high school atheletics.
Old 05-20-14, 12:08 PM
All American

THEWOLF is on a distinguished road
The juice box joke comes from these elitist youth ball programs. When the mothers handed there children a fancy juice box drink after they hit a triple with three errors. Not to many public supports get it because it was something the non-public parents did for the kids with the silver spoon in there mouth.
Old 05-20-14, 12:19 PM
All American

Journey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodrat View Post
Lighten up people...it's only high school atheletics.
I've always said if you're not smiling when you're posting then you are doing it wrong! I guess some folks just never learned how to lose with dignity lol

I suggest they go polish their state championship rings and rewatch their highlight tape in their media room with a nice cold expensive import beer in one of them nice glasses with the gold rim.
Old 05-20-14, 12:20 PM
All American

Bonus points if you put Bruce's Glory Days on repeat!
Old 05-20-14, 12:23 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEWOLF View Post
The juice box joke comes from these elitist youth ball programs. When the mothers handed there children a fancy juice box drink after they hit a triple with three errors. Not to many public supports get it because it was something the non-public parents did for the kids with the silver spoon in there mouth.
No.....its from the "everyone gets a trophy" crowd. After the game everyone gets their little snacks no matter how they did. You are a charter member.
Old 05-20-14, 12:24 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey View Post
I've always said if you're not smiling when you're posting then you are doing it wrong! I guess some folks just never learned how to lose with dignity lol

I suggest they go polish their state championship rings and rewatch their highlight tape in their media room with a nice cold expensive import beer in one of them nice glasses with the gold rim.
More like they should make more room because this isnt changing things.
Old 05-20-14, 12:26 PM
All American

Quote:
You speak the truth. People make too much money, let's redistribute their wealth. Schools win too many state titles, let's put wild formulas in place to stop that.

Man get a life, the western civilization of life isn't going to change because of the CBP passage, that you say won't work. LOL
Old 05-20-14, 12:29 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEWOLF View Post
Man get a life, the western civilization of life isn't going to change because of the CBP passage, that you say won't work. LOL
Says the guy with a countdown to the CBP playoffs.....

I am having fun.
Old 05-20-14, 12:33 PM
All American

bleedingreen6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Only have two state-runner ups to reminiscence about. Although my brother won one the year after a graduated, and never let's me here the end of it. Oh yeah by the way, if you didn't already know, I went to a public school and we went 6-0 against privates during the four years I was in school. Believe it or not Mogadore is 8-4 in the playoffs against privates in the playoffs since 2000. Another example is what Kirtland has been able to accomplish the past 5 years. Look at Mentor in division 1 for another example. There are publics that compete right along side privates in every division.

And if you would like to make a beer run, I do enjoy Newcastle! Lol
Old 05-20-14, 12:33 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
No.....its from the "everyone gets a trophy" crowd. After the game everyone gets their little snacks no matter how they did. You are a charter member.
Old 05-20-14, 12:35 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Only have two state-runner ups to reminiscence about. Although my brother won one the year after a graduated, and never let's me here the end of it. Oh yeah by the way, if you didn't already know, I went to a public school and we went 6-0 against privates during the four years I was in school. Believe it or not Mogadore is 8-4 in the playoffs against privates in the playoffs since 2000. Another example is what Kirtland has been able to accomplish the past 5 years. Look at Mentor in division 1 for another example. There are publics that compete right along side privates in every division.

So the smallest school division and the BIGGEST school in the entire state are what you are bringing to the table? NEXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXT
Old 05-20-14, 12:37 PM
All American

lol us poor commies don't even know what juice is! In my house we had grape drink. Sugar, water and purple. Everything a growing boy needs.
Old 05-20-14, 12:44 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
lol us poor commies don't even know what juice is! In my house we had grape drink. Sugar, water and purple. Everything a growing boy needs.
Old 05-20-14, 12:44 PM
All American

Quote:
So the smallest school division and the BIGGEST school in the entire state are what you are bringing to the table? NEXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXT
Yeah look at all them private juggernauts in small ball! Saw TCC's playoff game, it looked like a different sport.
And Mentor, aside from being one of the biggest schools and wealthiest areas of the state, some of the deepest traditions in the state (Lee Tressel established a dynasty there in the 50s), having multiple NFL alumni, still has 0 state titles and a losing record against privates in the playoffs.

Thank you come again
Old 05-20-14, 12:47 PM
All American

Quote:
There are publics that compete right along side privates in every division.

Your right but publics come and go based on the talent pool in the district.

One of the best explanation i heard is a pick up game of basketball. Choose teams public has 10 kids to choose from the non-public has 400 to choose from. Who will win?? Most of the time.

Hey journey I'll take a 30 pack of bush. I'm a thirsty juice boxer guy.
Old 05-20-14, 12:56 PM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Then do something about those five schools, and quit screwing over 300 others just because you can't beat them. FWIW, most of the "main offenders" have had their share of down years as well.

Quote:
The juice box makes perfect sense, and is widely considered to be pointedly hilarious...by public and private supporters alike.

Quote:
This isn't a good thing. Think hard on this if you plan on sticking around.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-20-14, 01:00 PM
All American

You want a beer you get your own beer.

Old 05-20-14, 01:07 PM
All Yappi

Oil Filter is an unknown quantity at this point
FWIW, I don't think an OE public school has ever won a D1 football title. IIRC, only two or three have ever made it to the title game. OTOH, public schools have made more than 20 appearances in the game since the advent of OE. How does that OE advantage work, again?

That's not OE now, that's OE in the year that they played -- so Princeton doesn't count.
Old 05-20-14, 01:12 PM
All Yappi

Whoever said journey and inlancewetrust is the same person, I think you are correct. Frequent posts of "humorous" pictures, you tube links...very similar ......and now journey has a supporter besides Wolfie. Just makes sense.

I bet its because he has put so many of us on the ignore list and he can't figure out how to get them off. And he feels he is missing out.
Old 05-20-14, 01:19 PM
All American

Quote:
Those were only a few examples. What about Loveland winning Div 2 last year. What about Clinton Massie in div 4 last year (beat Mooney)? What about Coldwater in div 5 (beat Hartley)?

People making excuses is a life problem not just a high school football problem. And this country has a pandemic on its hands.
Old 05-20-14, 01:21 PM
All American

lc5397 is on a distinguished road
Mentor is not nearly as big as it used to be (I actually believe there is a chance Mentor will be DII in 10-15 years. Mentor grew so rapidly from the 1980s to late 1990s there are fewer and fewer households that are going to have school aged children moving forward). They've had far more success as they've gotten smaller than when they were the biggest school in the state. Mentor is definitely "wealthier" than average but by no means one of the wealthiest areas in the state. It's a solidly middle class community (with some upper middle class parts of the district in Concord Township) that is still heavily reliant on manufacturing and retail (I believe they have the highest or close to the highest industrial and retail concentrations in the state).

Mentor had some very good years under Tressel but that was short lived. The last decade has been the golden age of Mentor football...by a lot. There was no "Mentor tradition" any more so than any other school. Mentor was truly awful for big chunks of the 1980s and 1990s when they were the biggest school in the state. It wasn't until Triv took over that the culture completely changed and then, only then, did things begin to change on the field for the Cardinals.

It has been mentioned elsewhere but I think the tendency to look at only state championships has been a disservice to this larger conversation and created a solution in search of a real problem. There are other metrics that would be more statistically relevant than just looking at state titles. Regardless of state titles, Mentor has been one of the top 5-6 programs in the entire state the last decade.

Quote:
And Mentor, aside from being one of the biggest schools and wealthiest areas of the state, some of the deepest traditions in the state (Lee Tressel established a dynasty there in the 50s), having multiple NFL alumni, still has 0 state titles and a losing record against privates in the playoffs.

Thank you come again
Old 05-20-14, 01:25 PM
All American

Quote:
Yeah look at all them private juggernauts in small ball! Saw TCC's playoff game, it looked like a different sport.

Thank you come again
Ummmm arguable the most historically dominant program in the entire state is a small school private (Newark Catholic), and we managed to beat them 2 years in a row in 2001 and 2002 in the semi-finals. How do you explain that one away. Could it be that we worked really hard and didn't have a defeatist attitude! No that couldn't be, because we didn't really win those games, because life isn't fair! We must have cheated.
Old 05-20-14, 01:41 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

Thank you come again
1950's? I thought high school football from 1972 and on is all that matters? Everything prior were paper titles and highly irrelevant? Or is that only when it fits your argument?
Old 05-20-14, 01:42 PM
All World

1disciple is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Thank you come again
You mean TCC's game against rural Clyde?