Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-14-15, 06:19 PM
Varsity

StowInTheKnow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown Benny View Post
I agree that it does seem strange that Bobby Patton would leave Stanford and transfer to North Florida after 2 years because of the quality of education he would have received from Stanford vs North Florida and the value of a degree from Stanford would carry and this is where the story gets really confusing.

I did some research on Bobby Patton Jr and found where he did play basketball at Stanford for his first 2 years in college and then verified that he did, indeed transfer to North Florida and played there for the seasons of 1993 thru 1995. In the North Florida media guide I found where he was the team's leading scorer for the 94/95 season with 356 points and also led the team in assists with 129 that season. He also ranks 4th in career assists w/ 232, 4th in 3 pt fg percentage w/ 39% and 5th in career treys made w/124.

What is odd to me is the fact his coaching resume listed in a couple of newspaper articles shows him graduating from Stanford in 1995 with a degree in Political Science and later a masters from Kent State. I wonder how he played hoops at North Florida during the '95 season and then somehow still graduated from Stanford in '95 ?????? In the newspaper articles I looked at none have any mention of him ever playing basketball at North Florida ???? Yet he is listed in the North Florida media guide as having played there 2 years and also shows his HS as Youngstown Liberty so there is no question it's the same person. Maybe someone closer to NE Ohio hoops can shed some light on the
1995 confusion with graduating from Stanford while playing for North Florida.

Apparently he has coached hs basketball for several years in NE Ohio at Westlake, Kenston, and Solon and prior to that was an Ast coach at Dublin Coffman. Interesting, not to mention confusing.

JB
It's actually quite simple for anyone that attended college. Even when you transfer from School A to School B, if you finish last X number of credit hours at School A you get diploma from school A. If you're so worried about it just give Stanford a call......
Old 07-15-15, 09:18 PM
All Ohio

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StowInTheKnow View Post
It's actually quite simple for anyone that attended college. Even when you transfer from School A to School B, if you finish last X number of credit hours at School A you get diploma from school A. If you're so worried about it just give Stanford a call......
Well thank you Captain Obvious for your expertise regarding student transfers at the college level ! Your suggestion that I "give Stanford a call if I'm so worried about it" puzzles me. Just where in the hell in my post did I indicate that I was worried about anything ? I simply posted some facts from a newspaper article and some player stats from a media guide. I said I found the articles interesting and also somewhat confusing, period.

Now, 17 months later someone known as StowInTheKnow has apparently determined that I am so worried about the college career of a basketball player from NE Ohio nearly 25 years ago that I should now consider calling the player's alma mater as part of a fact finding quest. Thanks, but I'll pass.

Instead, StowInThe Know, I have a suggestion for you as you troll this website. . .consider a username change from StowInTheKnow to "StowN'Go".

JB
Old 07-31-15, 09:01 PM
Freshman

firsttake is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkUncle View Post
How about that run by Cin. NCH with 3 straight titles?? No one could stop Mayo and Walker.
I have to agree no one could stop them
Old 11-30-15, 11:43 AM
Varsity

FirebirdPride123 is on a distinguished road
Is Greg Simpson Xavier Simpson's father?
Old 12-05-15, 01:46 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdPride123 View Post
Is Greg Simpson Xavier Simpson's father?
FirebirdPride123,

No, Quincey Simpson, the current coach of Lima Senior is Xavier Simpson's father. Quincey,also played basketball at Lima Sr. and was a year behind Greg. Greg graduated in 1992 and Quincey graduated in 1993.

JB
Old 12-05-15, 05:04 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
^
Are you saying that Greg is the uncle or a cousin or not related?

:>---

Successful = ALT
Old 12-16-15, 08:18 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post
^
Are you saying that Greg is the uncle or a cousin or not related?

Successful = ALT
Ohiopup,

It is my understanding that Greg and Xavier are cousins.

JB
Old 01-19-16, 10:44 PM
All Region

Yeoman is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know why the tournament was moved to Dayton in 1986 and 1987? It was held in St. John every year from the building of the arena until Schottenstein went up, except for those two years.
Old 01-21-16, 05:34 PM
All Yappi

^

OSU end of Winter Quarter Graduation.
p.s. Wayne Woodrow "Woody" Hayes gave the commencement address in 1986.

Successful = ALT

Last edited by ohiopup; 01-26-16 at 10:48 AM. Reason: added info
Old 02-09-16, 08:32 AM
All American

rjewards is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildutch View Post
The 92 D1 final Lakota vs. Lima Sr. that game shouldn't have been close on paper but Lima Sr. didn't bring there A+ game and got beat by a solid Lakota squad.
who won the regular season matchups lakota or senior high???
Old 02-09-16, 02:17 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjewards View Post
who won the regular season matchups lakota or senior high???

Lakota won all 3 games in the 91/92 season.

87-82
92-86
88-86 OT for the state championship

JB
Old 02-09-16, 02:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

87-82
92-86

JB
Greg Simpson (Lima Sr.) "There's no way Lakota beats us a third time."

Successful = ALT
Old 03-09-16, 09:51 AM
Varsity

DSM is on a distinguished road
Quote:

87-82
92-86

JB
That OT win for the championship for Lakota was one of my most memorable basketball games of all time. I just loved watching Greg Simpson play ball.
Old 03-09-16, 07:37 PM
All American

Gardens35 is on a distinguished road
The 3 Best teams on the list are the '71 Walnut Ridge, '76 Barberton, and '86 Central - Hower squads. Does anyone disagree?
Old 03-11-16, 09:42 PM
All District

yipyap is on a distinguished road
1994 Westerville North over Withrow---it was overtime.
Old 04-06-16, 01:52 PM
Freshman

Oh_BBall2012 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardens35 View Post
The 3 Best teams on the list are the '71 Walnut Ridge, '76 Barberton, and '86 Central - Hower squads. Does anyone disagree?

I don't know enough about some of those teams to disagree but the Columbus East with Lamar have to be up there with the best teams ever in Ohio right?
Old 04-06-16, 09:37 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh_BBall2012 View Post
I don't know enough about some of those teams to disagree but the Columbus East with Lamar have to be up there with the best teams ever in Ohio right?

I have been following Ohio HS basketball since the early 1960's and I have to agree that the Columbus East Tigers of the late 60's that went 70-1 for their 3 year careers with the only loss coming as sophomores when they lost in the '67 Regionals to eventual state champion Columbus Linden McKinley led by by Jim Cleamons was the best Ohio HS team I've seen and should deserve mention in this topic.

The Columbus East Tigers then went undefeated in their junior and senior years winning state championships both years and when Dwight "Bo" Lamar joined Ed Ratliff and Nick Conner for their senior year that was the best trio of players I have ever seen on the same team !

Name another high school that had two members of the same HS team later become 1st Team D1 All-Americans in college with a third member being a starting center in the Big Ten plus one of the trio also was the leading scorer in the nation at the college level !

Ed Ratliff-Long Beach State and Bo Lamar-Southwestern Louisiana were both consensus first team All-Americans in the 71/72 season and 72/73 seasons and Nick Conner was starting center for Illinois during the same time frame.
Bo Lamar led the nation in scoring in the 71/72 season and finished 6th nationally in scoring in 72/73 season.

A strong case could be made for that Columbus Walnut Ridge team that came onto the scene right after the Columbus East dynasty and as I recall they had all 5 starters off their state championship team receive D1 scholarships to play hoops at the next level. Even that group didn't end up with 2 first team All-Americans at the college level.

Glad to read that someone at least mentioned those Columbus East Tigers on this topic.

JB
Old 04-06-16, 09:45 PM
Freshman

Quote:
I have been following Ohio HS basketball since the early 1960's and I have to agree that the Columbus East Tigers of the late 60's that went 70-1 for their 3 year careers with the only loss coming as sophomores when they lost in the '67 Regionals to eventual state champion Columbus Linden McKinley led by by Jim Cleamons was the best Ohio HS team I've seen and should deserve mention in this topic.

The Columbus East Tigers then went undefeated in their junior and senior years winning state championships both years and when Dwight "Bo" Lamar joined Ed Ratliff and Nick Conner for their senior year that was the best trio of players I have ever seen on the same team !

Name another high school that had two members of the same HS team later become 1st Team D1 All-Americans in college with a third member being a starting center in the Big Ten plus one of the trio also was the leading scorer in the nation at the college level !

Ed Ratliff-Long Beach State and Bo Lamar-Southwestern Louisiana were both consensus first team All-Americans in the 71/72 season and 72/73 seasons and Nick Conner was starting center for Illinois during the same time frame.

Bo Lamar led the nation in scoring in the 71/72 season and finished 6th nationally in scoring in 72/73 season.

A strong case could be made for that Columbus Walnut Ridge team that came onto the scene right after the Columbus East dynasty and as I recall they had all 5 starters off their state championship team receive D1 scholarships to play hoops at the next level. Even that group didn't end up with 2 first team All-Americans at the college level.

Glad to read that someone at least mentioned those Columbus East Tigers on this topic.

JB

Yeah I'm young but my grandpa was pretty good friends with Lamar so I've heard some good stories. Do you know any of the other players on those teams? I know the big 3 but didn't know if they had any other guys play college ball.
Old 04-06-16, 11:24 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Yeah I'm young but my grandpa was pretty good friends with Lamar so I've heard some good stories. Do you know any of the other players on those teams? I know the big 3 but didn't know if they had any other guys play college ball.
I'll bet your grandfather could really tell you some stories about Bo Lamar. Having grown up in Newark and following the Newark Wildcats I saw Newark and Columbus East meet more than a few times with Newark losing to the Tigers in the regular season and again in the tournament in the 67/68 season losing in the Regional finals and then in the 68/69 season Newark had one of their best teams ever and while they didn't play that season in the regular season they met again in the Regional Finals only to lose 55-50 in a game I'll never forget. Newark only trailed 37-36 to start the 4th quarter and trailed 53-50 with 19 seconds to go in the game and the 'cats had 3 shots in the final few seconds that just wouldn't fall and East held on for the win. The East coach, Bob Hart said after the game he felt that should have been for the state championship instead of the Regional championship ! Coach Hart said Newark was the best team they had faced all season.

One of the biggest questions in central Ohio in the 68/69 season was the transfer of Bo Lamar from Columbus North to Columbus East his senior year. Rumors were flying everywhere about where he was living in the city ( this was before all of the open enrollment rulings) some said he lived with an aunt in the East school district, while others said he stayed with a cousin a few nights each week and some even suggested he was staying with Coach Bob Hart, in any case his transfer mystery may never be answered and after over 45 years what does it matter anyway ? I just know his transfer to begin his senior year at Columbus East solidified the Tigers for a lock on another state championship.

Your grandfather could probably tell you about their uniforms and attire. . they were orange and black and wore black high top converse shoes and most of the starters wore knee pads and many wore elbow pads as well. In particular, Alonzo, "Nick" Conner was intimidating as any hs player I have ever seen. . .he was only 6'6" but played like he was 6'11" blocking everything inside, Lamar could score from anywhere and had unlimited range while Ed Ratliff, also 6'6" was smooth as silk, could drive thru traffic, rebound and was effortless anywhere inside or out.

You asked about some other players off of those two state championship teams and I can recall a few of the other players:

Larry Walker was a quick 5'8" guard
Randy Bias was a 5'10" guard
Roy Hickman was a 6'0" forward
Kevin Smith was a 6'4" post player

I believe Walker and Hickman were starters. Too many years ago to remember any more of team members, sorry.

I will tell you one more interesting note about those Tigers that happened on their last regular season game either their junior or senior year and I honestly can't remember which year it was, but anyway according to all accounts they were playing a terribly outmanned team in their final game before starting down the tournament trail and when the Tigers came out on the floor each player came out and dunked the ball prior to the start of the game and the opposing team was allowed to take 12 free throws to begin the game. Don't know many free throws they hit, their lead didn't last long and East won by over 40 points.

They were sure a fun group to watch and their fans were just plain nuts! Most wore tiger striped berets and when Nick Conner was introduced in the starting lineup the chanting of "Nicky, Nicky, Nicky" was deafening and when he came out on the court he was absolutely menacing looking. While he played at Illinois he teamed up with another All-Ohioan named Nick. . . Nick Weatherspoon from Canton McKinley.

JB
Old 04-06-16, 11:32 PM
Freshman

Quote:
I'll bet your grandfather could really tell you some stories about Bo Lamar. Having grown up in Newark and following the Newark Wildcats I saw Newark and Columbus East meet more than a few times with Newark losing to the Tigers in the regular season and again in the tournament in the 67/68 season losing in the Regional finals and then in the 68/69 season Newark had one of their best teams ever and while they didn't play that season in the regular season they met again in the Regional Finals only to lose 55-50 in a game I'll never forget. Newark only trailed 37-36 to start the 4th quarter and trailed 53-50 with 19 seconds to go in the game and the 'cats had 3 shots in the final few seconds that just wouldn't fall and East held on for the win. The East coach, Bob Hart said after the game he felt that should have been for the state championship instead of the Regional championship ! Coach Hart said Newark was the best team they had faced all season.

One of the biggest questions in central Ohio in the 68/69 season was the transfer of Bo Lamar from Columbus North to Columbus East his senior year. Rumors were flying everywhere about where he was living in the city ( this was before all of the open enrollment rulings) some said he lived with an aunt in the East school district, while others said he stayed with a cousin a few nights each week and some even suggested he was staying with Coach Bob Hart, in any case his transfer mystery may never be answered and after over 45 years what does it matter anyway ? I just know his transfer to begin his senior year at Columbus East solidified the Tigers for a lock on another state championship.

Your grandfather could probably tell you about their uniforms and attire. . they were orange and black and wore black high top converse shoes and most of the starters wore knee pads and many wore elbow pads as well. In particular, Alonzo, "Nick" Conner was intimidating as any hs player I have ever seen. . .he was only 6'6" but played like he was 6'11" blocking everything inside, Lamar could score from anywhere and had unlimited range while Ed Ratliff, also 6'6" was smooth as silk, could drive thru traffic, rebound and was effortless anywhere inside or out.

You asked about some other players off of those two state championship teams and I can recall a few of the other players:

Larry Walker was a quick 5'8" guard

Randy Bias was a 5'10" guard

Roy Hickman was a 6'0" forward

Kevin Smith was a 6'4" post player

I believe Walker and Hickman were starters. Too many years ago to remember any more of team members, sorry.

I will tell you one more interesting note about those Tigers that happened on their last regular season game either their junior or senior year and I honestly can't remember which year it was, but anyway according to all accounts they were playing a terribly outmanned team in their final game before starting down the tournament trail and when the Tigers came out on the floor each player came out and dunked the ball prior to the start of the game and the opposing team was allowed to take 12 free throws to begin the game. Don't know many free throws they hit, their lead didn't last long and East won by over 40 points.

They were sure a fun group to watch and their fans were just plain nuts! Most wore tiger striped berets and when Nick Conner was introduced in the starting lineup the chanting of "Nicky, Nicky, Nicky" was deafening and when he came out on the court he was absolutely menacing looking. While he played at Illinois he teamed up with another All-Ohioan named Nick. . . Nick Weatherspoon from Canton McKinley.

JB

Yeah that sounds like an amazing team. My grandfather likes to talk about them all the time. One interesting thing he always tells me that east had 2 brothers there that never actually got to play. (Academic issues along with family stuff) and he said that they could play with anybody they were both about 6'4 and said they were the most athletic kids at the school
Old 04-06-16, 11:39 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Yeah that sounds like an amazing team. My grandfather likes to talk about them all the time. One interesting thing he always tells me that east had 2 brothers there that never actually got to play. (Academic issues along with family stuff) and he said that they could play with anybody they were both about 6'4 and said they were the most athletic kids at the school
Wow, I can't imagine what that team would have been like if those two brothers would have been eligible to play !

One player that I forgot to mention in my previous post was a senior on that 67/68 team before Lamar transferred in and Ratleff and Conner were juniors and that is Randy Smith who was a 6'7" center and Conner played as a forward that year. Smith was the captain that year, I can't believe I forgot to mention him !!!!

JB
Old 04-07-16, 06:11 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Wow, I can't imagine what that team would have been like if those two brothers would have been eligible to play !

One player that I forgot to mention in my previous post was a senior on that 67/68 team before Lamar transferred in and Ratleff and Conner were juniors and that is Randy Smith who was a 6'7" center and Conner played as a forward that year. Smith was the captain that year, I can't believe I forgot to mention him !!!!

JB

Wow that's a lot of talent at one school! Amazing to have that many really good players together before open enrollment.
Old 04-07-16, 09:27 AM
All Yappi

Columbus East: 1967 ~ 1968 ~ 1969

http://ohiobasketballhalloffame.com/

The Ohio Basketball Hall of Fame recognizes the achievements of both male
and female basketball players in high school, college, and professional
basketball, successful coaches on all levels, and those who have impacted the
game along the way. We’re telling the stories of the amazing athletes and
contributors to the game that have either come from or played in Ohio.

The following teams have been inducted into the Ohio Basketball Hall of Fame for their achievements.

Note: Columbus East teams of 1967, 1968, and 1969 were honored as a
unit and inducted into the Ohio Basketball HOF in 2007. *
http://ohiobasketballhalloffame.com/...-hs-67-69.html

* Article contains an error: 1967, East was not the State Runner-up, East lost to
Columbus Linden-McKinley in the Regional Final in Columbus; Linden McKinley
went on to win the State Title. The 1967 State Runner-up (AA) was Clv.East Tech.

1968 Col.East State Finals...
SF game defeated Euclid: 75 / 40
SC game defeated Hamilton Garfield: 64 / 60

1968 Col.East State Finals...
SF game defeated Tol.Libbey: 64 / 63
SC game defeated Can.McKinley: 71 / 56

Inducted Individulely: (2009) Ed Ratleff http://ohiobasketballhalloffame.com/...d-ratleff.html

Ohio Basketball HOF honored ~ High School Teams:

- - - BOYS - - -
Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary HS Boys, 2001-2003
Columbus East HS Boys, 1967-1969
Dayton Belmont HS Boys, 1964
Dayton Stivers HS Boys, 1928-1930
Middletown HS Boys, 1956-1958
Waterloo HS Boys, 1934-1935
Willard HS Boys, 1979-1982

SALT
Old 04-07-16, 01:57 PM
All Yappi

BigBulldog is an unknown quantity at this point
I believe that Columbus East team had 3 players to go on and play in the NBA(Or pro basketball)
Old 04-07-16, 03:28 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBulldog View Post
I believe that Columbus East team had 3 players to go on and play in the NBA(Or pro basketball)

I don't know if that Columbus East team had 3 players play pro ball or not, but they definitely had 2 players with pro careers for sure.

Ed Ratleff played for the NBA Houston Rockets for 5 seasons 1973-1978

Dwight "Bo" Lamar played for San Diego in the ABA for 3 yrs 1973-1976
and for the LA Lakers for one season 1976-1977

JB
Old 04-07-16, 04:07 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
I noticed the 1964 Dayton Belmont team is listed on ohiopup's list (post #113) as a high school team honored in the Ohio Basketball HOF.

The 1964 Dayton Belmont team, too, had two college All-American and NBA players in Don May (Dayton plus seven year NBA career) and Bill Hosket (Ohio State plus four year NBA career). In addition, both May and Hosket were on the same 1970 NY Knicks team that won the NBA championship. Hosket also won an Olympic Gold Medal.
Old 04-08-16, 07:51 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBulldog View Post
Not that I could find...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...s.cgi?state=oh

SALT
Old 04-08-16, 05:51 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
^^^Nice link, pup!

Add Phil Lumpkin and Donald Smith of Dayton Roth as two Ohio high school teammates that later played in the NBA. Lumpkin went to Miami (Ohio) and Smith to Dayton. I'm not sure if Roth won the state title that year, though...maybe late '60's-early '70's.
Old 05-17-16, 09:22 PM
Freshman

PlayerCoach is on a distinguished road
Ohio Mr. Basketball vs Ms. Basketball

who is the favorite to win 2016 Mr. Basketball? Is there an Ohio Ms. Basketball.... Does anyone have that information on hand?
Old 06-16-16, 01:33 PM
All World

troyboy73
Don't forget Dayton Chaminade who won Ohio Class AA in 1970. Undefeated and Led by

Dan Gerhard/Ohio State
Ted Weubbon/Creighton
Terry Tyler/Michigan
Paul Kurpiel/minors Pirates