Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-06-17, 05:54 PM
All Ohio

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
The answer to that question is a common sense no-brainer answer. Penn St. earned the spot in the final 4. They won the Big 10 division with Ohio State and Michigan in that same division. They beat Ohio State head to head - on the field. Then they went on and WON the BIG 10 Championship. They earned it. Period. And for the record, I am not a PSU fan. But this was case closed, and PSU still got screwed.
LOL. So the fact that they lost 1 more game than OSU doesn't matter, nor that they lost big to UM. I guess only some of the games matter, not all of them. So I guess we just take the conference champions and be done with it. Forget the fact that in the BIG, they do not play everyone. PSU conference schedule was much easier than OSU.
Old 01-06-17, 05:56 PM
All American

Irish60 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Sometimes, players just aren't a good fit for certain programs or a kid doesn't make a connection with his recruiter and/or position coach.

I'm not a fan of a kid's "character" being assessed from miles away based on rumor and innuendo spouted by adult men who've never even seen or talked to the kid.
Exactly right. I really can't see why there is so much discussion about why OSU hasn't made him an offer. There could 1,000 reasons. Maybe in the interview Bowden didn't bleed enough scarlet & grey for Urban's liking. Maybe Mayer sees him as Tate Martell, and he already has Tate Martell. Maybe Urban is gun shy because he tripped over his own feet with Clark and Sibley. Maybe Urban knows Harbaugh is interested in him, and he doesn't want to be perceived to "lose" a recruiting battle to UM. Maybe Urban sees his future as a WR or a DB and Bowden told him he'd prefer to go somewhere for a chance to play QB. Maybe... (insert any reason here!) But to jump to the conclusion that there must be something wrong or that there is a character issue just because OSU didn't make him an offer is making a HUGE leap of logic and is doing this young man a HUGE disservice. I don't know the young man and never saw him play, but my guess is he is a normal kid with a wealth of athletic ability! He is going to land with a top program, whether that be in Columbus or not. And life will be pretty good for him for the next 4 years! Good luck to him wherever he decides to go.
Old 01-06-17, 06:08 PM
All Region

bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdrill View Post
LOL. So the fact that they lost 1 more game than OSU doesn't matter, nor that they lost big to UM. I guess only some of the games matter, not all of them. So I guess we just take the conference champions and be done with it. Forget the fact that in the BIG, they do not play everyone. PSU conference schedule was much easier than OSU.
No it doesn't matter. The won the head to head and the Conference. Those carry way more weight. You can't just ignore the head to head win by PSU. And OSU in reality tied Wisconsin, tied Michigan, and lost to PSU. (OT sucks in mu opinion. I'm old school. A tie is a true reflection of how the game ended. So OSU was 8-1-2. The only time you need OT is in a playoff format because someone has to advance. And since this committee of picking the final 4 was formed, all they talked about was the value of winning the conference Title. Thats why TCU and Baylor got screwed last year. They make up their own BS to serve their purpose. This was about OSU and their name. PSU was the Champion AND won the head to head. 2 major/huge reasons why PSU deserved it. Not just because they won the title. So yes, there is more weight on winning a Conference title game and a head to head game with OSU than some other games. Again, common sense and case closed.
Old 01-06-17, 06:14 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
No it doesn't matter. The won the head to head and the Conference. Those carry way more weight. You can't just ignore the head to head win by PSU. And OSU in reality tied Wisconsin, tied Michigan, and lost to PSU. (OT sucks in mu opinion. I'm old school. A tie is a true reflection of how the game ended. So OSU was 8-1-2. The only time you need OT is in a playoff format because someone has to advance. And since this committee of picking the final 4 was formed, all they talked about was the value of winning the conference Title. Thats why TCU and Baylor got screwed last year. They make up their own BS to serve their purpose. This was about OSU and their name. PSU was the Champion AND won the head to head. 2 major/huge reasons why PSU deserved it. Not just because they won the title. So yes, there is more weight on winning a Conference title game and a head to head game with OSU than some other games. Again, common sense and case closed.
THEY LOST MORE GAMES THAN OSU. They do not play the same conference schedule, so you don't really "win" a conference title. The committee never said winning your conference was the be all end all, you just imagined that. Pitt beat Clemson head to head, guess they should have been in the play offs vs PSU. Oh wait, they beat PSU too, so I guess it should have been a rematch.
Old 01-06-17, 06:37 PM
All Region

bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
THEY LOST MORE GAMES THAN OSU. They do not play the same conference schedule, so you don't really "win" a conference title. The committee never said winning your conference was the be all end all, you just imagined that. Pitt beat Clemson head to head, guess they should have been in the play offs vs PSU. Oh wait, they beat PSU too, so I guess it should have been a rematch.
So they didn't really win the Conference Title is a hilarious comment. I'm sure the BIG 10 Championship trophy is already at the school. I know I saw them receive it the night they beat Wisconsin. Can't get much more proof than that. I'm done going back and forth with you. You have your opinion, and I have mine. There is no right, there is no wrong. They are opinions. I don't agree with yours, but I will respect how you feel. For the last time: case closed!
Old 01-07-17, 01:36 PM
All Yappi

Steel Valley FB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This guy doesn't see any open spots, it will be struggle just to get all of the current commits into the fold.

http://theozone.net/Ohio-State/Footb...cruiting-Class

Both articles are just speculation, obviously. There's a lot that can still happen, like you said. Not getting all the commits into the fold works in Bowden's favor. I did read another writer of another of these Buckeye sites claimed he was told Bowden is still in the mix along with the Massillon kid from Lasalle and that it was likely one but not both. Also, "told" by whom I don't know. They all have their inside sources. All we can do is see how plays out. One thing I'm certain of, though, is that Bowden will have a stellar college career. I just hope it's not against the Buckeyes.
Old 01-07-17, 01:43 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
Exactly right. I really can't see why there is so much discussion about why OSU hasn't made him an offer. There could 1,000 reasons. Maybe in the interview Bowden didn't bleed enough scarlet & grey for Urban's liking. Maybe Mayer sees him as Tate Martell, and he already has Tate Martell. Maybe Urban is gun shy because he tripped over his own feet with Clark and Sibley. Maybe Urban knows Harbaugh is interested in him, and he doesn't want to be perceived to "lose" a recruiting battle to UM. Maybe Urban sees his future as a WR or a DB and Bowden told him he'd prefer to go somewhere for a chance to play QB. Maybe... (insert any reason here!) But to jump to the conclusion that there must be something wrong or that there is a character issue just because OSU didn't make him an offer is making a HUGE leap of logic and is doing this young man a HUGE disservice. I don't know the young man and never saw him play, but my guess is he is a normal kid with a wealth of athletic ability! He is going to land with a top program, whether that be in Columbus or not. And life will be pretty good for him for the next 4 years! Good luck to him wherever he decides to go.

No, it's just the rumor that Bowden has issues...mostly stemming from those he's been associated with. So far, we haven't seen it though. He's been a model student and teammate, behavior wise.
Old 01-07-17, 04:41 PM
All Yappi

About two hours ago, Buckeye OL Evan Lisle announced he was transferring to Duke to get his Masters degree. As was mentioned, anything can happen and there just might be room for Bowden if the new offensive coach from Indiana really wants him.
Old 01-07-17, 04:47 PM
All World

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Valley FB View Post
No, it's just the rumor that Bowden has issues...mostly stemming from those he's been associated with. So far, we haven't seen it though. He's been a model student and teammate, behavior wise.
Just say it. CYLAR!!!!
Old 01-07-17, 04:54 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Valley FB View Post
About two hours ago, Buckeye OL Evan Lisle announced he was transferring to Duke to get his Masters degree. As was mentioned, anything can happen and there just might be room for Bowden if the new offensive coach from Indiana really wants him.
It is going to take a lot more than 1 kid leaving to create room. Between who they have on scholly right now, and the kids they offered, they are something like 10 over the 85 limit right now.
Old 01-11-17, 11:19 PM
All American

wghfan
His official announcement will be this Saturday on January 14. I have a good idea on his choice, but I will let him officially announce it.
Old 01-12-17, 09:05 AM
All District

Hilltopper1 is on a distinguished road
I'm guessing Kentucky.
Old 01-12-17, 01:56 PM
All Region

Pile Driver is on a distinguished road
I heard UK as well.
Old 01-12-17, 02:15 PM
Varsity

tiger1 is on a distinguished road
Bowden

I think this kid can be a great wide receiver or even bulk up and be a tight end. I am a Massillon fan and watched this kid run all over the field. Very impressive. I think Urban should give him a shot. They need tall fast receivers.
As far as having issues who didn't at 18.
Old 01-12-17, 02:50 PM
All District

pm12100 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger1 View Post
I think this kid can be a great wide receiver or even bulk up and be a tight end. I am a Massillon fan and watched this kid run all over the field. Very impressive. I think Urban should give him a shot. They need tall fast receivers.
He's only listed at 6'0". There is no way he'd be a tight end. I think 6'3" is really pushing it for FBS tight end. Plus, I would not consider 6'0" a tall receiver.
Old 01-12-17, 03:34 PM
Junior Varsity

vikingfan1 is on a distinguished road
I am guessing Hubbard....
Old 01-12-17, 06:00 PM
Varsity

Bowden

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm12100 View Post
He's only listed at 6'0". There is no way he'd be a tight end. I think 6'3" is really pushing it for FBS tight end. Plus, I would not consider 6'0" a tall receiver.
Tell that to that 5-9" Clemson receiver.
Old 01-12-17, 06:22 PM
Moderated User

Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Tell that to that 5-9" Clemson receiver.
You mean the one that caught the ball to win the National Championship against unbeatable Alabama? That guy?
Old 01-12-17, 06:58 PM
Varsity

Bowden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
You mean the one that caught the ball to win the National Championship against unbeatable Alabama? That guy?
Yea that guy. He tore their defense up all night. What a set of hands.
Old 01-12-17, 07:18 PM
All Ohio

falguin is on a distinguished road
Why OSU is not offering Bowden is a mystery. He is clearly the best player in Ohio. He was a man amongst boys out there all year against good competition. If his grades are bad, I can understand not offering if he might be ineligible to play next year, but I have not heard anything from Ytown about character issues. The only issue associated with him is about his departure from Liberty. He got mad when his coach was fired and he left. His coach was black and it seems that Bowden felt that he wasn't treated fairly, so he left. I don't know if that means there is a character issue. Plus, there have been many Bucks with character issues who received a scholly before. I think this is a mistake. From the video I watched on him, he looked like a class act. Missing a big opportunity not taking this kid.
Old 01-12-17, 09:18 PM
All American

Yankeefan33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by falguin View Post
Why OSU is not offering Bowden is a mystery. He is clearly the best player in Ohio. He was a man amongst boys out there all year against good competition. If his grades are bad, I can understand not offering if he might be ineligible to play next year, but I have not heard anything from Ytown about character issues. The only issue associated with him is about his departure from Liberty. He got mad when his coach was fired and he left. His coach was black and it seems that Bowden felt that he wasn't treated fairly, so he left. I don't know if that means there is a character issue. Plus, there have been many Bucks with character issues who received a scholly before. I think this is a mistake. From the video I watched on him, he looked like a class act. Missing a big opportunity not taking this kid.
That would be Josh Myers, who is going to Ohio St
Old 01-12-17, 09:30 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
He was a walk on.
Old 01-12-17, 10:14 PM
Varsity

Bowden

Too late for Buckeyes. He just shut down his recruiting.
Old 01-12-17, 10:29 PM
All American

wghfan
Quote:
Too late for Buckeyes. He just shut down his recruiting.
That is right. You snooze, you lose.
Old 01-13-17, 08:22 AM
All American

Spartan0505 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingfan1 View Post
I am guessing Hubbard....
Ha!!!! Love it!
Old 01-13-17, 09:35 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
This thread is entertaining
Old 01-13-17, 09:58 AM
All Yappi

McK93 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wghfan View Post
That is right. You snooze, you lose.
Yeah not sure how the Buckeyes will recover.
Old 01-13-17, 10:29 AM
Moderated User

Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by McK93 View Post
My thoughts exactly. Look Bowden was a he!! of a player. Massillon sure had no answers for him although with that defense that isn't really saying much. But there are 100s of Bowdens all over the country. Ohio State will be just fine.
Old 01-13-17, 10:51 AM
All American

wghfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by McK93 View Post
Yes, like they recovered against Clemson with a big fat zero on the scoreboard.
Old 01-13-17, 11:17 AM
All Yappi

McK93 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wghfan View Post
Yes, like they recovered against Clemson with a big fat zero on the scoreboard.
Does Bowden have an offer from Clemson? Or Bama? What about Washington?