Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #241  
Old 12-31-16, 07:48 AM
D4fan D4fan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-08-15
Location: At work
Posts: 2,459
D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Friday View Post
So geographically what constitutes 'all Dayton'? 20, 30 miles from downtown? Do Troy, Middletown, Springfield qualify? If Middletown counts three of my top 10 are from there Lucas, Archie Aldridge, and Butch Carter.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I typically think of the area served by 1970 era Dayton Daily News as the defined area. It is difficult to define.

I also thought we were primarily talking top ten high school players to ever come out of Dayton area? If so that is already a debatable fact as Luke's numbers are a known commodity for high school and are set in stone.

That thought made me think of a few others who were great basketball players (athletes) but choose to play football after high school such as one of my all time favorites Jeff Graham from Kettering Alter.

He is not mentioned in Dayton top 10 all time but if we are talking top 10 as it relates to High School basketball I would like to nominate Jeff.

The OP asks about top 10 high school players.
Reply With Quote
  #242  
Old 12-31-16, 08:29 AM
hvs1717 hvs1717 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-04-14
Posts: 141
hvs1717 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
He's an elite level sophomore. He's already in the conversation for POY, and thus already in the conversation for All American. No "he may even be" about it.

From two different writers: Kennard is 4th on their POY rankings.
http://www.cbssports.com/college-bas...year-rankings/
http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.c...year-rankings/



http://www.cbssports.com/college-bas...aft-prospects/
The reason I say maybe is because the season isn't even halfway over. If he continues to play at this level for the entire season, then yes he should be in the conversation at the end of the year when they vote on such things. 13 games in is too early to project. If the season ended today, then yes he would deserve to be in the conversation.
Reply With Quote
  #243  
Old 12-31-16, 08:47 AM
Jim Lahey Jim Lahey is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-09-16
Location: Sunnyvale
Posts: 2,338
Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
That's all fine and dandy but he IS already being talked about for AA and POY. You'd have a better point on it being too early if his best games hadn't come against URI (ranked), MSU, Kansas and Florida.
Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old 12-31-16, 12:58 PM
BlackHawk BlackHawk is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-27-09
Posts: 3,673
BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by csg62 View Post
Top Ten

Don May
Ron Harper
Donald Smith
Luke Kennard
Jim Paxson
John Paxson
Phil Lumpkin
Gary Bradds
Bill Hosket
Randy Ayres
Mine would be these ten, in no particular order:

Dwight Anderson
Don May
Daequan Cook
Jim Paxson, Jr.
John Paxson
Ron Harper
Gary Bradds
Donald Smith
Frankie Sanders
Luke Kennard

I excluded Middletown and Springfield.

Our only difference is my list has Dwight Anderson, Frankie Sanders and Daequan Cook instead of Bill Hosket, Randy Ayers (Springfield) and Phil Lumpkin.

BTW, Dwight Anderson would be my #1, followed probably by Don May at #2.

Last edited by BlackHawk; 12-31-16 at 01:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #245  
Old 12-31-16, 01:53 PM
hvs1717 hvs1717 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-04-14
Posts: 141
hvs1717 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
That's all fine and dandy but he IS already being talked about for AA and POY. You'd have a better point on it being too early if his best games hadn't come against URI (ranked), MSU, Kansas and Florida.
Since the voting isn't done until the end of the season and Duke is going to play at least another 20 games, I feel it is too early to talk about such things. A lot can happen in 20 games. Understand, it isn't just Luke. I feel it is too early to talk about anyone for those awards. Go back and look at previous seasons, how often are the top 10-15 guys in the first quarter of the season, still the top 10-15 at the end of the season. I would be surprised if it is even half but I could be wrong. On a separate note, I think he is having a fantastic season and he is fun to watch. I hope he keeps it up.
Reply With Quote
  #246  
Old 12-31-16, 03:18 PM
petroglyph petroglyph is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-25-09
Posts: 798
petroglyph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
Mine would be these ten, in no particular order:

Dwight Anderson
Don May
Daequan Cook
Jim Paxson, Jr.
John Paxson
Ron Harper
Gary Bradds
Donald Smith
Frankie Sanders
Luke Kennard

I excluded Middletown and Springfield.

Our only difference is my list has Dwight Anderson, Frankie Sanders and Daequan Cook instead of Bill Hosket, Randy Ayers (Springfield) and Phil Lumpkin.

BTW, Dwight Anderson would be my #1, followed probably by Don May at #2.
Had Dwight Anderson been able to keep his stuff together he might be peerless..saw him play out West and saw him drop an easy 40+ on a good Stanford team..Also a thought: what about Jervaughan Scales from Colonel White ?? 1993-94...Averaged 27ppg (3rd in NCAA and 14 rpg (2nd in NCAA while at Southern.
Reply With Quote
  #247  
Old 12-31-16, 05:14 PM
BlackHawk BlackHawk is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-27-09
Posts: 3,673
BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyph View Post
Had Dwight Anderson been able to keep his stuff together he might be peerless..saw him play out West and saw him drop an easy 40+ on a good Stanford team..Also a thought: what about Jervaughan Scales from Colonel White ?? 1993-94...Averaged 27ppg (3rd in NCAA and 14 rpg (2nd in NCAA while at Southern.
That's the problem with a Top Ten list...lot's of great players get left out. Players like Bill Hosket, Mark Baker, Phil Lumpkin, Mike Pratt, Sedric Toney, Chris Wright and Scales didn't make my list.

Another great player, not yet mentioned, was Lionel Garrett. He played in the seventies for the now defunct Fairview High School. He never played in the NBA, but he did play for the Harlem Globetrotters.
Reply With Quote
  #248  
Old 01-01-17, 07:33 AM
rip_JackTatum rip_JackTatum is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-04-12
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 1,449
rip_JackTatum is on a distinguished road
Post 38 points 14 rebounds 11 assists....... AVG

Well Dwight Anderson (aka Blur...aka lightning) did avg 38 points 14 rebounds 11 assist for an entire season BEFORE the 3 point line came along and was the #1 ranked recruit in the nation.

Last edited by rip_JackTatum; 01-09-17 at 03:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #249  
Old 01-02-17, 01:36 PM
Sgt Friday Sgt Friday is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-11-05
Posts: 471
Sgt Friday is on a distinguished road
Jack: I remember that play many years ago. If you don't include Middletown and Springfield Dwight Anderson is absolutely #1 player in Dayton area. Too hard to decide on a top ten but both Paxsons, Ron Harper, pre-ACL tear Kirk Taylor are in. Hard not to include Mark Baker. Adrien Payne, Hutson that went to Mich St, and Kennard get serious consideration. I would roll with that team.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #250  
Old 01-03-17, 09:26 AM
Jim Lahey Jim Lahey is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-09-16
Location: Sunnyvale
Posts: 2,338
Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs1717 View Post
Since the voting isn't done until the end of the season and Duke is going to play at least another 20 games, I feel it is too early to talk about such things. A lot can happen in 20 games. Understand, it isn't just Luke. I feel it is too early to talk about anyone for those awards. Go back and look at previous seasons, how often are the top 10-15 guys in the first quarter of the season, still the top 10-15 at the end of the season. I would be surprised if it is even half but I could be wrong. On a separate note, I think he is having a fantastic season and he is fun to watch. I hope he keeps it up.
Frankly, what you feel doesn't matter whatsoever. The fact of the matter is he's already in the discussion for both AA and POY. And again, your point would hold much more water if he best games didn't come against the best teams on the schedule so far.
Reply With Quote
  #251  
Old 01-06-17, 10:24 AM
Zezzo! Zezzo! is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-17-11
Posts: 1,632
Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
IMO Kennard IS definately an all-time top 10 Dayton Area HIGH SCHOOL great no question.
What humors me is that people are posting Ron Harper as an all-time high school great(no disrespect to Harper) when he didn't have a great high school career. You guys have to be basing your opinions on his post high school careeer. In fact his numbers aren't even a whisper to Kennards'. He was first team all-city but did not even win City POY or first team all-state(Mike Carton of Roth received both awards), however he was a 6'5'pg that averaged 16ppg. that could defend and showed glimpses of being a great scorer which attracted Miami and he became and still is the all-time leading scorer there.
Reply With Quote
  #252  
Old 01-06-17, 10:39 AM
TroyTrojan05 TroyTrojan05 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-19-11
Posts: 4,702
TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Anyone remember watching Alex Carmona from Troy in the early 2000's. Was a man amongst boys (literally). His athleticism was off the charts. He was one of the best raw talents I've seen in Dayton in the last 20 years. He originally committed to Calipari and then went back to his native Puerto Rico and fizzled out. He was one of those "what if" type of talents.
Reply With Quote
  #253  
Old 01-06-17, 04:09 PM
D4fan D4fan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-08-15
Location: At work
Posts: 2,459
D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezzo! View Post
IMO Kennard IS definately an all-time top 10 Dayton Area HIGH SCHOOL great no question.
What humors me is that people are posting Ron Harper as an all-time high school great(no disrespect to Harper) when he didn't have a great high school career. You guys have to be basing your opinions on his post high school careeer. In fact his numbers aren't even a whisper to Kennards'. He was first team all-city but did not even win City POY or first team all-state(Mike Carton of Roth received both awards), however he was a 6'5'pg that averaged 16ppg. that could defend and showed glimpses of being a great scorer which attracted Miami and he became and still is the all-time leading scorer there.
Where's Wally Z on that list at Miami?
Reply With Quote
  #254  
Old 01-06-17, 06:37 PM
petroglyph petroglyph is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-25-09
Posts: 798
petroglyph is on a distinguished road
no mention of charley coles from yellow springs..although a tiny school his scoring alone was off the charts.42.1 ppg as a senior is eye popping especially pre 3pt shot
Reply With Quote
  #255  
Old 01-07-17, 04:26 AM
D4fan D4fan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-08-15
Location: At work
Posts: 2,459
D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyph View Post
no mention of charley coles from yellow springs..although a tiny school his scoring alone was off the charts.42.1 ppg as a senior is eye popping especially pre 3pt shot
I thought of Charlie among other small school kids pre three point line. The Poland kid from Northridge is another. Matt Witt from Bethel had an outstanding high school career including a regional final year his sophomore season, and state champion his senior. He was also runner up for Mr Basketball in Ohio to a guy named LeBron James. I do not believe however that he is anywhere close to top 10 all time. But of small school kids top 10 all time dayton area I would put Collier of Springfield Catholic, Witt of Bethel, Cole of Yellowsprings on my list.
Reply With Quote
  #256  
Old 01-07-17, 09:25 AM
swblhoops swblhoops is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-12-15
Posts: 65
swblhoops is on a distinguished road
Romain Sato was about as athletic a guy ever to play around here. He played at Dayton Christian, Xavier, 2nd round NBA pick (52nd overall I think) in 2004, and is still playing today overseas.
Reply With Quote
  #257  
Old 01-07-17, 12:25 PM
BlackHawk BlackHawk is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-27-09
Posts: 3,673
BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezzo! View Post
IMO Kennard IS definately an all-time top 10 Dayton Area HIGH SCHOOL great no question.
What humors me is that people are posting Ron Harper as an all-time high school great(no disrespect to Harper) when he didn't have a great high school career. You guys have to be basing your opinions on his post high school careeer. In fact his numbers aren't even a whisper to Kennards'. He was first team all-city but did not even win City POY or first team all-state(Mike Carton of Roth received both awards), however he was a 6'5'pg that averaged 16ppg. that could defend and showed glimpses of being a great scorer which attracted Miami and he became and still is the all-time leading scorer there.
Zezzo, a slight, but very important distinction:

My list was for "top ten basketball players that played high school ball in Dayton". Not "top ten based only on their high school career in Dayton".

If using the latter criteria, I wouldn't have several players on my list. Example: I could name half a dozen Alter players alone with arguably a better high school career than Jim Paxson Jr. You could argue that players like Greg Laravie, Joe Siggins, Mark Molinsky and Andy Myers (Alter's all time leading scorer and rebounder, I think) all had better high school careers than Paxson. Heck, Paxson was just a JV player until his Junior year at Alter. With your criteria, it would be a whole different list. Players like Mike Witt (Bethel), Pollard? (Northridge), Brooks Hall (Troy), Steve Smith (Alter and Dunbar), Andy Myers (Alter), Geron Johnson (Dunbar), Trice (Wayne), Shuler (Graham), Zawadski (Troy Christian) and a WHOLE BUNCH OF OTHERS with "great high school careers" would get consideration. My "top ten Dayton" list would change dramatically.

Last edited by BlackHawk; 01-07-17 at 12:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #258  
Old 01-07-17, 12:56 PM
TroyTrojan05 TroyTrojan05 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-19-11
Posts: 4,702
TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Imagine if Kennard would've stayed home and played at UD. Then imagine they didn't tragically lose McElvene, and didn't lose Cunningham. Would've been the best Dayton team to ever suit up. Or at least one of the best.
Reply With Quote
  #259  
Old 01-07-17, 01:19 PM
petroglyph petroglyph is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-25-09
Posts: 798
petroglyph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
Zezzo, a slight, but very important distinction:

My list was for "top ten basketball players that played high school ball in Dayton". Not "top ten based only on their high school career in Dayton".

If using the latter criteria, I wouldn't have several players on my list. Example: I could name half a dozen Alter players alone with arguably a better high school career than Jim Paxson Jr. You could argue that players like Greg Laravie, Joe Siggins, Mark Molinsky and Andy Myers (Alter's all time leading scorer and rebounder, I think) all had better high school careers than Paxson. Heck, Paxson was just a JV player until his Junior year at Alter. With your criteria, it would be a whole different list. Players like Mike Witt (Bethel), Pollard? (Northridge), Brooks Hall (Troy), Steve Smith (Alter and Dunbar), Andy Myers (Alter), Geron Johnson (Dunbar), Trice (Wayne), Shuler (Graham), Zawadski (Troy Christian) and a WHOLE BUNCH OF OTHERS with "great high school careers" would get consideration. My "top ten Dayton" list would change dramatically.
Specific to Alter and Jim Paxson Jr. Petrocelli said his most talented team ever was the '74 team. That would account for the slow integration of Jim Jr. Back in that era nobody played ahead of upperclassmen unless there were injuries or grade trouble.If you saw Paxson dismantle Butch Carter and Middletown in '75 en route to the school's 1st trip to state that question would be settled.AND they took that route through D1 competition. John,of,course, closed that loop a couple years later.
Reply With Quote
  #260  
Old 01-07-17, 05:25 PM
BlackHawk BlackHawk is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-27-09
Posts: 3,673
BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyph View Post
Specific to Alter and Jim Paxson Jr. Petrocelli said his most talented team ever was the '74 team. That would account for the slow integration of Jim Jr. Back in that era nobody played ahead of upperclassmen unless there were injuries or grade trouble.If you saw Paxson dismantle Butch Carter and Middletown in '75 en route to the school's 1st trip to state that question would be settled.AND they took that route through D1 competition. John,of,course, closed that loop a couple years later.
I was just making a hypothetical argument based on a comment about "high school career" only. Trust me, I'm a huge fan of Jim Paxson Jr. and I know how loaded those Alter teams from the seventies were ... so loaded that Jim Paxson was still playing JV as a Sophomore. That '74 team started Joe Siggins (Dayton), Bill Frericks Jr. (Dayton), John Shay (Xavier?), Terry Sain (Xavier?) and Jim Paxson (Dayton). On the bench were players like Bob Shaefer (Wright State), Doug Harris (Dayton), Jack Zimmerman (Dayton/maybe still Alter JV in '74?), Mark Laravie, Terry Spangler, etc. Loaded. Siggins was the star, but got a bad injury against eventual state champion Elder in the tournament, that likely cost Alter the game and maybe state championship ... unfortunately that was Alter's only loss.

And, yes, I was at the super hyped undefeated #1 Middletown versus undefeated #2 Alter game the following year. Butch Carter, Vic Merchant and I believe 6' 11" Maverick Morgan's (Springboro/Illinois) father were the Middies stars. It was never much of a game as Alter won easily, much to my pleasant surprise as an Alter fan. Incredible crowd of at least 10,000 ... sold out or nearly sold out at UD Arena.

Last edited by BlackHawk; 01-07-17 at 05:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #261  
Old 01-08-17, 09:49 PM
csg62 csg62 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 07-30-06
Posts: 196
csg62 is on a distinguished road
Don May would be my number one. Did you guys know that his senior year he was the 3rd leading rebounder in the nation at Dayton. At 6'4". The two ahead of him were Elvin Hayes and Lee Alcindor.
Reply With Quote
  #262  
Old 01-09-17, 01:02 PM
BlackHawk BlackHawk is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-27-09
Posts: 3,673
BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by csg62 View Post
Don May would be my number one. Did you guys know that his senior year he was the 3rd leading rebounder in the nation at Dayton. At 6'4". The two ahead of him were Elvin Hayes and Lee Alcindor.
Not a bad choice. I had Don May at #2, behind Dwight Anderson, but it's just an opinion. May averaged 15.0 rebounds a game his Senior year at UD and 16.7 rpg in his Junior year. All-American and an incredible rebounder...over 1,300 rebounds at UD.

Unfortunately he was too short to be playing power forward in the NBA, but still had a decent 7-8 year career. In May's best NBA season, he averaged 20.2 ppg and 7.5 rpg. Not bad for being listed at just 6'4". I can't name a 6'4" NBA forward since Don May. Maybe Charles Barkley, but he was listed at 6'6".
Reply With Quote
  #263  
Old 01-09-17, 01:09 PM
Jim Lahey Jim Lahey is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-09-16
Location: Sunnyvale
Posts: 2,338
Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
I was thinking Rodman but he's listed at 6'7". I think that's generous for Rodman
Reply With Quote
  #264  
Old 01-09-17, 02:00 PM
ratterbox ratterbox is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-23-09
Posts: 184
ratterbox is on a distinguished road
Jim Holstein was a 6'3" CENTER for the Lakers a long time ago. A Hamilton kid Hamilton Catholic ,I Think (before Badin )
Reply With Quote
  #265  
Old 01-10-17, 09:15 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 46,994
Yappi will become famous soon enough
Duke's Luke Kennard, a Franklin High School product, projected at No. 20 in ESPN's NBA Mock Draft

Quote:
Luke Kennard and the Duke men’s basketball team are only at the midpoint of the season.

But the former Franklin High School standout is already being mentioned as a possible first-round pick in the NBA Draft this June.

ESPN.com draft expert Chad Ford released his second mock draft last week and has Kennard predicted at No. 20 to the Charlotte Hornets.

Whether or not the 6-foot-6 sophomore guard would declare is an entirely different issue. Staying at Duke would make any 2017 mock drafts irrelevant for Kennard. But the way he’s been playing shows he’s a legitimate All-America candidate for the Blue Devils (14-2).
Read more:
http://www.wcpo.com/sports/high-scho...nba-mock-draft
Reply With Quote
  #266  
Old 01-10-17, 09:51 PM
yakyak yakyak is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 06-11-14
Posts: 783
yakyak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Duke's Luke Kennard, a Franklin High School product, projected at No. 20 in ESPN's NBA Mock Draft



Read more:
http://www.wcpo.com/sports/high-scho...nba-mock-draft
To bad for him it would be tough to crack the all time greatest of colonel white, or even Roth for that matter.
Reply With Quote
  #267  
Old 01-11-17, 05:22 PM
BlackHawk BlackHawk is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-27-09
Posts: 3,673
BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyak View Post
To bad for him it would be tough to crack the all time greatest of colonel white, or even Roth for that matter.
lol
Reply With Quote
  #268  
Old 01-11-17, 10:50 PM
Sgt Friday Sgt Friday is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-11-05
Posts: 471
Sgt Friday is on a distinguished road
You just have to accept some people don't think you can be skilled if you don't play 'above the rim'. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but the object of the game is to score points. Luke Kennard CAN SCORE. Inside, outside, mid range. Doesn't force a lot of shots and his FG, 3 point, and FT percentages are as good as anyone in college basketball. As I said before he may never be all NBA but will make a lot of money. I know a few of you think it will be in Europe or overseas though.....??????


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #269  
Old 01-12-17, 01:55 PM
AIK Solna AIK Solna is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-24-12
Posts: 328
AIK Solna is on a distinguished road
I suspect many of the same people previously stated that he couldn't compete against Dunbar and the city schools, that he wasn't worthy of being a McDonald's All-American, and that he would fizzle at Duke and be relegated to the bench. He has been a pleasant surprise each and every time. He won't be the next Lebron James and there are no guarantees regarding his success in the NBA. It has been great having someone from our area who remained loyal to his school (not bolting for a DI powerhouse or basketball academy) who has earned some national spotlight. I've lived in the Dayton/Cincinnati area for 40 years and can't remember anyone from this part of Ohio who has done a better job representing SW Ohio hoops.
Reply With Quote
  #270  
Old 01-12-17, 02:10 PM
ammtd34 ammtd34 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-13-05
Location: Springfield
Posts: 1,057
ammtd34 is on a distinguished road
Is Collier the last SW Ohio player to have an All-ACC type year? He averaged 18 ppg and 9 reb as a senior at Georgia Tech and was the 15th pick in the draft.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz