Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-11-17, 08:44 AM
All American

Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lc5397 View Post
Who is it?
A friend of mine who follows Michigan intensely (I think he was dropped on his head as a baby) told me that former St. Ed's coach Rick Finotti, who was the Director of Football Operations at Michigan and is now listed as the Defensive Analyst (I have no idea if that is a promotion or demotion), is hot after both jobs and applied for both jobs. That does not make sense to me, though, as he is paid $125K at Michigan and neither BW nor JCU would come close to paying him that.
Old 01-11-17, 08:51 AM
All American

Con_Alma is an unknown quantity at this point
That rumor is in fact out there....along with the current St. Ed HC Lombardo
Old 01-11-17, 10:49 AM
All American

lc5397 is on a distinguished road
I had heard some of that as well. And agree it doesn't make a lot of sense with the money issue. FWIW, my impression is that defensive analyst was a promotion. It only makes sense if his main motivation is to come back to NEO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Born & Bred View Post
A friend of mine who follows Michigan intensely (I think he was dropped on his head as a baby) told me that former St. Ed's coach Rick Finotti, who was the Director of Football Operations at Michigan and is now listed as the Defensive Analyst (I have no idea if that is a promotion or demotion), is hot after both jobs and applied for both jobs. That does not make sense to me, though, as he is paid $125K at Michigan and neither BW nor JCU would come close to paying him that.
Old 01-11-17, 11:04 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc5397 View Post
I had heard some of that as well. And agree it doesn't make a lot of sense with the money issue. FWIW, my impression is that defensive analyst was a promotion. It only makes sense if his main motivation is to come back to NEO.
I think Debjlak from CWRU would be a coup for either school but, again, neither are going to throw money at him so would be his motivation. I think both BW and JCU either are currently or have the potential to be much better football programs than Case but you still have deal with Mount Union every year so how much better?
Old 01-11-17, 11:04 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Con_Alma View Post
Interesting.
Old 01-11-17, 11:08 AM
All District

pm12100 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Flamenco View Post
Great coach. I wish the timing would have worked out for Hilvert and Elder. The guy is a flat out winner. He would no doubt have taken his alma-mater back to an elite level. Oh well.
Don, are we talking about Mike Elder at Avon? If it is, just curious how his name surfaced?
Old 01-11-17, 11:13 AM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm12100 View Post
Don, are we talking about Mike Elder at Avon? If it is, just curious how his name surfaced?
No. He's talking about Elder High School. Jim Hilvert graduated from Elder in 1989 and was a captain of the 88 team. http://media.elderhs.net/EHSportsArc...istory1988.htm
Old 01-11-17, 11:56 AM
All American

lc5397 is on a distinguished road
I have heard that as well. That makes more sense than Finotti. JCU is an attractive job for a coach from NEO who grew up here and is heavily immersed in the Catholic community here.

I know Gibbons heavily pursued the JCU job back when they hired Regis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Con_Alma View Post
Old 01-11-17, 08:16 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
Defensive Analyst and Director of Football Ops are both staff positions, neither being an official assistant coaching role. I honestly do not know which is "higher up" on the chain. The "analyst" position is a relatively new branding for the old quality control position, but the higher end programs (i.e. 'Bama) are using the analyst positions on veteran former head/assistant coaches (i.e. Sarkisian before becoming OC) instead of younger grad assistant types.
Old 01-11-17, 10:41 PM
All District

Falcon93 is on a distinguished road
Final 3 at BW I heard is the LaSalle coach, AD at Midpark and former coach at Blufton
Old 01-12-17, 08:36 AM
Varsity

funguy72 is on a distinguished road
Hearing that player panels are being done to meet with potential coaches. Offers at least the appearance that the current players will have some input or at least the opportunity to ask a few questions.
Old 01-12-17, 10:11 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
Defensive Analyst and Director of Football Ops are both staff positions, neither being an official assistant coaching role. I honestly do not know which is "higher up" on the chain. The "analyst" position is a relatively new branding for the old quality control position, but the higher end programs (i.e. 'Bama) are using the analyst positions on veteran former head/assistant coaches (i.e. Sarkisian before becoming OC) instead of younger grad assistant types.
Here's an article detailing some of what college football "analyst" coaches do with a focus on their use at Alabama: http://athlonsports.com/college-foot...all-analyst-do

Quote:
Their roles are a blend between graduate assistant and advance scout. Unlike a quality control position in the NFL or a graduate assistant in college, analysts are not among the group of coaches the NCAA allows to instruct players. Analysts and quality control coaches, like GAs, are not permitted to recruit. By NCAA rules, GAs also must be enrolled as graduate students, as the name suggests. Analysts do not need to be enrolled in classes.
Old 01-12-17, 01:34 PM
All Yappi

CardinalsFan is on a distinguished road
Great talk about D3 football, but I have to ask the question....

With the unparalleled success LaSalle is currently enjoying, why are coaches so fast to leave? What is going on over there that nobody wants to stay??

Isn't that really the question here?

I mean, Hilvert had a D3 job at a perennial Top 25 program at Thomas More and left it for LaSalle. Now, 2 years later he is doing everything possible to leave??

-CardinalsFan
Old 01-12-17, 01:49 PM
All American

BigSack is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalsFan View Post

With the unparalleled success LaSalle is currently enjoying, why are coaches so fast to leave? What is going on over there that nobody wants to stay??

I mean, Hilvert had a D3 job at a perennial Top 25 program at Thomas More and left it for LaSalle. Now, 2 years later he is doing everything possible to leave??

-CardinalsFan
$$$$
Old 01-12-17, 01:49 PM
All District

JetSweepAudible22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalsFan View Post

-CardinalsFan
Hilvert is starting realize he doesn't like dealing with parents, etc. He wants to get back out there and recruit college kids, not high school. At least that's the rumor out there...
Old 01-12-17, 02:22 PM
All American

Journey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSweepAudible22 View Post
Hilvert is starting realize he doesn't like dealing with parents,
Man, who would?!
Old 01-12-17, 02:36 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSack View Post
$$$$
I can assure you it has nothing to do with $$$.
Old 01-12-17, 03:21 PM
Varsity

inmate520 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
He doesnt like coaching high school. He would dislike the same issues at Elder as he does at Lasalle.
Old 01-12-17, 05:51 PM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN
Hilvert could still return to LaSalle (and get a bump in pay) if he does not land a better opportunity.
Old 01-12-17, 05:56 PM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN
Quote:
Originally Posted by inmate520 View Post
He doesnt like coaching high school. He would dislike the same issues at Elder as he does at Lasalle.
I agree... to an extent.

Each school has coaching advantages over the other. Elder is after all, his alma mater.

Lastly, if Hilvert has even the smallest desire to coach at Elder, taking another coaching gig away from home first, is Elders best chance of eventually landing him IMO.
Old 01-13-17, 11:22 AM
All American

Quote:
maybe not, but since the question was "coaches" and the prior Lasalle coach chased $ up north, wouldn't Hilvert make more at a D3 than at Lasalle? I guess I really have no idea what he is pulling in now, or what his job is other than HC
Old 01-13-17, 11:58 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSack View Post
maybe not, but since the question was "coaches" and the prior Lasalle coach chased $ up north, wouldn't Hilvert make more at a D3 than at Lasalle?
Not necessarily a safe assumption. However, if he was going to move to Cleveland to take the BW job, I would assume BW would have to who enough money to give him a raise. He would not likely get the kind of money that Moore gets at Massillon.
Old 01-13-17, 02:10 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN View Post
Lastly, if Hilvert has even the smallest desire to coach at Elder, taking another coaching gig away from home first, is Elders best chance of eventually landing him IMO.
Agreed. I don't see them ever hiring a HC away from another GCL South school. They are way too concerned about not offending or upsetting any of those other schools.
Old 01-13-17, 02:21 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Born & Bred View Post
Not necessarily a safe assumption. However, if he was going to move to Cleveland to take the BW job, I would assume BW would have to who enough money to give him a raise. He would not likely get the kind of money that Moore gets at Massillon.
there's only one D3 program that can match the $ at Massillon and it's not BW or JCU...and they aren't looking for a HC
Old 01-17-17, 12:30 PM
All Yappi

Hilvert has accepted the HC job at Baldwin Wallace: https://twitter.com/MikeDyer/status/821408977015676928
Old 01-17-17, 12:44 PM
All Region

sportsbabe is on a distinguished road
Well, it shouldn't be a big transition. He's got plenty of recruiting experience.
Old 01-17-17, 01:05 PM
Varsity

OldEagle71 is on a distinguished road
What's next for LaSalle?
Old 01-17-17, 01:08 PM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enough
Could a Former GCL South coach end up back at LaSalle?
Old 01-17-17, 01:19 PM
All Ohio

DaPope is on a distinguished road
They should pick up the phone today and offer the Job to Pat McLaughlin at Princeton. If he says no, call Kent McCullough at Harrison.
Old 01-17-17, 01:20 PM
All World

Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
Could a current Massillon coach end up back there? I don't know I'm just speculating. Don't care one way or the other.