Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-09-17, 01:05 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
So, do you think public schools do not have concession stsnds? They magically run themselves? Nowhere did I say Hartley manipulated anything. My neighbor brought it to my attention. She wanted an explanation as to how one of her children got into the school while the other did not. She wants to know why there is a 100 kid difference between boys and girls and if there was sort of hard cap on number of students. I have no explanation for her.
you brought it up like it was proof of something. don't back peddle now.
Old 01-09-17, 04:02 PM
All American

Summa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Nowhere did I say Hartley manipulated anything. My neighbor brought it to my attention. She wanted an explanation as to how one of her children got into the school while the other did not. She wants to know why there is a 100 kid difference between boys and girls and if there was sort of hard cap on number of students. I have no explanation for her.
I would assume that is because of St. Charles. All the "co-ed" Columbus Catholic High Schools (Watterson, De Sales, Hartley, Ready) have more girls than boys because St. Charles is all boys and can accept boys from all the other Catholic Schools' assigned feeder areas and they in fact do get Catholic boys from the other schools' feeder system.
Old 01-10-17, 09:12 PM
All Region

ringer2 is on a distinguished road
A little surprising that not a single central Ohio school was on the list.
Old 01-10-17, 10:51 PM
All American

aged jock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So, what about the kids/ families that want to send their kids to the Catholic HS. Have gone through 8th grade and then are turned away? We get those kids. Have the $, but don't get in. We also have the kids that are not Catholic but are good athletes that get in at a very reduced rate. Why is that? It's not a lot, but it is quite a few.

What part of the competitive Balance proposal is so unfair to privates and so advantageous to publics. It's applied to both right? You are just used to operating under a separate set of rules. You can do things publics can't and if it's all the same, that irks you. Come up to the NE where you would have $V$M, Hoban, Wal$h and others to compete with.
I have no idea of kids getting "turned away". There is a placement test at most I hate schools, and they don't have the funds to handle special situations. Non-Catholics getting admitted at a reduced rate because they are athletes? I never have heard of such a thing.

As for the CBP, you obviously don't know what you are talking about. It specifically contains extremely harsh rules for privates, hints at changes for OE publics, and no negatives for non OE publics. I acknowledge that privates operate their schools differently than publics, but that is because publics have allowed numerous politically correct changes to what were previously universal education structures. That has led to a lack of cohesion and discipline. That's not the fault of the privates.

What happened to Massillon, Canton McKinley and the other former powers? What happened to footballs in the cribs of newborns?
Old 01-10-17, 10:52 PM
All American

aged jock is on a distinguished road
Darned autocorrect. Private schools, not I hate schools.
Old 01-11-17, 04:53 AM
Varsity

Impalaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringer2 View Post
A little surprising that not a single central Ohio school was on the list.
First of all, it is a list of cities and not schools . Also if you click on the link you will see those cities. The original poster only listed cities with 20 % or higher. As far as I could tell , New Albany was the highest central Ohio city with 17.5 %.
Old 01-11-17, 12:28 PM
All American

Journey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aged jock View Post
I hate schools.
The truth comes out!!!!
Old 01-11-17, 03:22 PM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
My ex neighbor from Gahanna is convinced that their daughter got into Bishop Hartley and her son did not because Hartley keeps the boys admissions low to keep them in lower divisions and they don't care as much about the girls. I could care less, but it's hard to argue with her when her son came out of MS with better grades than his sister. Then she comes at me with enrollment figures that have the boys with 100 less than girls and no explanation why her son did not get in. She could pay.
The last part of that statement is simply false. Hartley would give a reason.

Hartley used to accept all kids from all feeder schools. An admissions test was started several years ago to ensure that kids who had no chance of passing Hartley's Algebra II course didn't have to leave in the middle of high school to go to a public school with lower standards. So that's one possible explanation. Maybe she was admitted during the we-take-all years and the other didn't pass the admissions test. Or they both took the admissions test, and the daughter tested well enough to get in but the son didn't. The admissions tests don't fully correlate perfectly with middle school grades. Hartley would have told the family that he didn't do well enough on the test to get in. The family wouldn't likely tell others that part of the story.

Gahanna is a tricky area. The family might have lived on a street assigned to DeSales. It's long been a sore subject. I know the official public understanding at this point in time is that St Matt's kids can choose. That hasn't always been the case, and I'm not fully convinced that it's the official position of the diocese. Strict boundaries were enforced pretty strictly for non-ESL kids just a few years ago. The Diocese has an official waiver process, but it didn't always get to that. Sometimes a phone call between schools would iron it out and sometimes not. If the final official answer was that the kid had to go to DeSales, Hartley would have just told the family that the kid had to go to DeSales. The reverse is also true. Both schools are consummate professionals or else Cia McQuaide/Dr Joe would have slapped them silly.

Budgets are realities. Every private school has to make a "profit" or they get shut down by the Bishop. The schools have to be self-sufficient. This isn't 1965 any longer where all the good Catholics dropped their special blue envelopes for Catholic Schools into the basket every month or quarter or year whatever. The Diocese will only willingly keep a school afloat for so long before shutting it down. Sports doesn't factor into the equation or the South Side Basketball Academy in Columbus would have remained open forever. Recruiting is serious business. Everybody has to scramble to make their enrollment targets. Downward trends are darn near impossible to reverse without a huge alumni or parent base willing to underwrite operating losses (ie DeSales) or an administration lucky enough and desperate enough to dip into endowments (ie Mooney). Everybody wants to be be up a little from year to year. None of the Columbus area Catholic schools have had to turn anyone away for at least 15 years due to over-enrollment, and Hartley definitely for a lot longer than that. Everybody is scrambling to sustain. No applicant to a Columbus area Catholic school would have been turned away anywhere due to some mythical optimal sports number. Pure fiction.
Old 01-11-17, 04:00 PM
All Yappi

hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapientia et veritas View Post
The last part of that statement is simply false. Hartley would give a reason.

Hartley used to accept all kids from all feeder schools. An admissions test was started several years ago to ensure that kids who had no chance of passing Hartley's Algebra II course didn't have to leave in the middle of high school to go to a public school with lower standards. So that's one possible explanation. Maybe she was admitted during the we-take-all years and the other didn't pass the admissions test. Or they both took the admissions test, and the daughter tested well enough to get in but the son didn't. The admissions tests don't fully correlate perfectly with middle school grades. Hartley would have told the family that he didn't do well enough on the test to get in. The family wouldn't likely tell others that part of the story.

Gahanna is a tricky area. The family might have lived on a street assigned to DeSales. It's long been a sore subject. I know the official public understanding at this point in time is that St Matt's kids can choose. That hasn't always been the case, and I'm not fully convinced that it's the official position of the diocese. Strict boundaries were enforced pretty strictly for non-ESL kids just a few years ago. The Diocese has an official waiver process, but it didn't always get to that. Sometimes a phone call between schools would iron it out and sometimes not. If the final official answer was that the kid had to go to DeSales, Hartley would have just told the family that the kid had to go to DeSales. The reverse is also true. Both schools are consummate professionals or else Cia McQuaide/Dr Joe would have slapped them silly.

Budgets are realities. Every private school has to make a "profit" or they get shut down by the Bishop. The schools have to be self-sufficient. This isn't 1965 any longer where all the good Catholics dropped their special blue envelopes for Catholic Schools into the basket every month or quarter or year whatever. The Diocese will only willingly keep a school afloat for so long before shutting it down. Sports doesn't factor into the equation or the South Side Basketball Academy in Columbus would have remained open forever. Recruiting is serious business. Everybody has to scramble to make their enrollment targets. Downward trends are darn near impossible to reverse without a huge alumni or parent base willing to underwrite operating losses (ie DeSales) or an administration lucky enough and desperate enough to dip into endowments (ie Mooney). Everybody wants to be be up a little from year to year. None of the Columbus area Catholic schools have had to turn anyone away for at least 15 years due to over-enrollment, and Hartley definitely for a lot longer than that. Everybody is scrambling to sustain. No applicant to a Columbus area Catholic school would have been turned away anywhere due to some mythical optimal sports number. Pure fiction.
Uh, money talks and bull shi* walks, no matter what school private or public, or what religion pagan or otherwise.Sad but true. Uh lie is a biotch, but the alternative aint much.
Old 01-11-17, 05:03 PM
All Ohio

TCSoup is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
Uh, money talks and bull shi* walks, no matter what school private or public, or what religion pagan or otherwise.Sad but true. Uh lie is a biotch, but the alternative aint much.
Yep and there are a heck of a lot of B... S... walking Public Schools decked out with every thing you would ever need. Been out to the New Albany campus? funded by LW, or any of the Suburban
Cols. HS?
They have no problem using Private Schools parents money to provide every thing and everything...
Heck 1/4 of our neighborhood park got taken over by the school district because
they forgot to add a BB diamond when it opened. Yeah right
Old 01-11-17, 06:17 PM
All Yappi

Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCSoup View Post
They have no problem using Private Schools parents money to provide every thing and everything...
This is necessary because of this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapientia et veritas View Post
Hartley used to accept all kids from all feeder schools. An admissions test was started several years ago to ensure that kids who had no chance of passing Hartley's Algebra II course didn't have to leave in the middle of high school to go to a public school with lower standards.
Whether anyone likes it or not, the various Departments of Education (Federal and Ohio) require that public schools put in a serious attempt at educating every student. Kids that have "no chance of passing [...]'s Algebra II (or other) course" by law have to have access to an education, and most Catholic schools won't give them that opportunity, despite occasional claims that private schools can perform miracles for kids that have been "failed" by public schools. And unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, many due to IDEA law, these kids are significantly more expensive to educate than an "average" or above-average student.
Old 01-11-17, 08:28 PM
All Region

throwback
There is at least one Catholic HS where money alone can get you in. Hint, they are Div 1 state champs. X does not have anywhere near a 100% acceptance rate. Never have and most likely never will.
Old 01-11-17, 09:35 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwback View Post
X
Plus they're Jesuits, so they take all kinds of heretics. Their new motto is Tergum est Divisio Nostra Parte ad unum. Et non est alius. Our backup quarterback is D-1; isn't everyone's?
Old 01-11-17, 09:47 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennies'01 View Post
Whether anyone likes it or not, the various Departments of Education (Federal and Ohio) require that public schools put in a serious attempt at educating every student. Kids that have "no chance of passing [...]'s Algebra II (or other) course" by law have to have access to an education
Yes. Agreed. I'm perfectly OK with that and paying high taxes to the local public to support it. Some kids aren't college prep material. They lost the universe's lottery for brains. No fault of theirs. Just bad luck.

There are probably 60-80 freshmen at Hartley who are starting with Geometry or Algebra II. The school is just not equipped or staffed to offer a two year Algebra II or a math support class or A2E for 4 kids, and there's no way they can honestly market themselves to families willing to part with 9-10K per annum for a rigorous college prep curriculum and also offer the opt-out or CTP.
Old 01-13-17, 12:45 AM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Whether anyone likes it or not, the various Departments of Education (Federal and Ohio) require that public schools put in a serious attempt at educating every student. Kids that have "no chance of passing [...]'s Algebra II (or other) course" by law have to have access to an education, and most Catholic schools won't give them that opportunity, despite occasional claims that private schools can perform miracles for kids that have been "failed" by public schools. And unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, many due to IDEA law, these kids are significantly more expensive to educate than an "average" or above-average student.
Yet even within public school systems you find schools with higher academic criteria, such as Walnut Hills, that turn away kids based on testing, grades, behavio. CPS just announced that they are opening a third "gifted" elementary school. While I see the differences between the public and privates, if the publics are being selective in their students, where do they belong?
Old 01-13-17, 12:46 AM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Yet even within public school systems you find schools with higher academic criteria, such as Walnut Hills, that turn away kids based on testing, grades, behavio. CPS just announced that they are opening a third "gifted" elementary school. While I see the differences between the public and privates, if the publics are being selective in their students, where do they belong in regards to Competitive balance?
Old 01-13-17, 06:47 AM
All Ohio

Harrycrane has a little shameless behaviour in the past
k-baller really? Walnut Hills is a school that is an exam school , you have to qualify to get in , yes it is public but how many of these types of publics are there? UMMM in the Cincinnati area THEY ARE IT THAT'S ALL .

It is an exception , 99 percent of publics CANNOT BE EVEN SLIGHTLY SELECTIVE WHO THEY TAKE , it isn't public school systems , it is that School ALONE, if you have any other of these types of schools please list them , you won't need any paper or a pen to write them down , they don't exist .

Exceptions to the rule as a argument tool is really weak guys, City school systems al over the country have these types of schools withi9n the public school system , it is a great alternative for the brighter kids within the system , but it is just ONE SCHOOL in a district that does this regular suburban public school systems do not have a school that is selective in what students are allowed to enroll . If you are suggesting that this particular Public school has some kind of advantage that's one thing , but if you do that you can't argue that Privates have no advantage , we al know they do , just based on the results on the field against publics that's obvious . this particular " Public" SCHOOL is a one percent exception