Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Moeller Crusaders

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-10-16, 12:05 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
I think it's awesome that a lineman who has started for 2 years on varsity, a kid who is looked up to be his peers, as well as his coaches and teachers has earned the honor. Some of you are reading too much into this- it is exactly what it should be, captains are leaders of the team both on and off the field- shouldn't matter what grade they are. If naming a kid who is a true leader bothers you that much then that is your problem, not his or the teams.
Old 12-10-16, 12:09 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyfootball7 View Post
Love Carpenter but in my opinion it's disrespectful to the 'to-be' Senior class to name him a captain along with only naming 2 other Seniors as Captain. It's also disrespectful to the Moe football tradition of captains, as mentioned a Junior has never been named captain. Just hope the Seniors respond to this the right way but I question this move by the coaches. Almost as if they're scapegoating this to-be Senior class for their teams underachieving/underperforming the past 2 years.
Is this really your take on it- scapegoating? I really hope that none of the players share your view on this because that is a very negative attitude.
Old 12-11-16, 07:37 AM
Junior Varsity

cincyfootball7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post
Is this really your take on it- scapegoating? I really hope that none of the players share your view on this because that is a very negative attitude.

Relax, take a deep breath and read when I said "almost as if they're scapegoating"...do I literally think that was their intention? No, I don't. But I'm almost positive this is the first time in Rodenberg's tenure that they've only named 3 captains, and one of those 3 is a Junior. It's definitely the first time he's named a Junior captain (first time in Moe Fball history?) and I believe it's also the first time under Coach Rodenberg that there will only be 3 captains. If I were an upcoming Senior, that would speak volumes to me and doesn't exactly exude confidence in their class leadership/mentality. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, or maybe you aren't reading enough into it?

Last edited by cincyfootball7; 12-11-16 at 07:53 AM.
Old 12-11-16, 08:57 AM
All Ohio

The Game
I'm fine with whoever the captains are....if you deserve it, then so be it. I never liked the philosophy that being a senior trumps everything. I never understood that line of thinking when it comes to playing time. How many times have you heard someone got the starting nod because they are a senior when everyone knows there's a junior or even sophomore that is more talented behind them. Carpenter is a stud on the field and I hear he's a monster in the weight room.....good for him.

Are captains selected by player vote or is it coach's decision nowadays?
Old 12-11-16, 07:43 PM
All American

Quote:
Relax, take a deep breath and read when I said "almost as if they're scapegoating"...do I literally think that was their intention? No, I don't. But I'm almost positive this is the first time in Rodenberg's tenure that they've only named 3 captains, and one of those 3 is a Junior. It's definitely the first time he's named a Junior captain (first time in Moe Fball history?) and I believe it's also the first time under Coach Rodenberg that there will only be 3 captains. If I were an upcoming Senior, that would speak volumes to me and doesn't exactly exude confidence in their class leadership/mentality. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, or maybe you aren't reading enough into it?
Then if that truly is their thinking, that the player would take it as a slight- the better players would look in the mirror and say "I'm going to prove him/them wrong". And if that is not what those seniors do and instead they have bad attitudes or complain about it- then coach was right.
Old 12-12-16, 02:19 AM
All American

Possessed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
YA, Moe dumbing down from the 2nd toughest schedule in the nation in 16' to the about the 8th for 2017. Amazing?
According to you Moe folks, you had no less than 8 D1 players. With that many D1 athletes... that schedule was doable. Trinity... winning State in Ky is far from a "top level" team. Get real. Winton Woods beat Elder? So what. Elder was horrible this year too.

WW and Trinity would have been a warm up game to the Moeller of old. That's the truth. Keep pounding your collective chests lol. From what I see, when we beat you this year your boys are soft. And that comes from coaching. I personally watched one of your players run a route, the ball was picked... and rather than tackle the defender... he IMMEDIATELY looked at the qb and and gestured with his arms out like he was asking what the Hell! Not once did he pursue or even act like he wanted to. Soft. And that starts with coaching. The frustration I saw in that young man... attitude reflects leadership. No grit. Just a bunch of over rated, under achievers who thought simply wearing that Moeller jersey would ensure greatness. You need to yank Rodenburg, and replace him with a nonpolitical coach that actual knows how to organize a team.

8 D1 recruits and without the Canucks you're probably 3 and 7. And looking at the victories you DID manage to squeek out... you need to stop blaming the schedule. It just makes you guys look even more riduclous lol.
Old 12-12-16, 05:04 PM
All American

Rabbit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possessed View Post
According to you Moe folks, you had no less than 8 D1 players. With that many D1 athletes... that schedule was doable. Trinity... winning State in Ky is far from a "top level" team. Get real. Winton Woods beat Elder? So what. Elder was horrible this year too.

WW and Trinity would have been a warm up game to the Moeller of old. That's the truth. Keep pounding your collective chests lol. From what I see, when we beat you this year your boys are soft. And that comes from coaching. I personally watched one of your players run a route, the ball was picked... and rather than tackle the defender... he IMMEDIATELY looked at the qb and and gestured with his arms out like he was asking what the Hell! Not once did he pursue or even act like he wanted to. Soft. And that starts with coaching. The frustration I saw in that young man... attitude reflects leadership. No grit. Just a bunch of over rated, under achievers who thought simply wearing that Moeller jersey would ensure greatness. You need to yank Rodenburg, and replace him with a nonpolitical coach that actual knows how to organize a team.

8 D1 recruits and without the Canucks you're probably 3 and 7. And looking at the victories you DID manage to squeek out... you need to stop blaming the schedule. It just makes you guys look even more riduclous lol.
Hey Hard Guy, why don't you send Moeller Head coach an email and tell him how you feel? Easy to come on here and run your stuff.

The damn schedule is what it is. As HS's programs go, its very difficult.
Old 12-12-16, 05:56 PM
Freshman

Kspade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hey Hard Guy, why don't you send Moeller Head coach an email and tell him how you feel? Easy to come on here and run your stuff.

The damn schedule is what it is. As HS's programs go, its very difficult.
We do have a very good schedule, but ultimately, our chances of making a playoff run were dashed from very close losses to X, Elder, and Ed's. If those boys were able to finish those tight games off, the season is looked at from a new picture. I do think though the boys need a little more determination in them this offseason, really putting in the very long hours of work to go to state.
Old 12-12-16, 06:27 PM
All American

Rabbit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kspade View Post
We do have a very good schedule, but ultimately, our chances of making a playoff run were dashed from very close losses to X, Elder, and Ed's. If those boys were able to finish those tight games off, the season is looked at from a new picture. I do think though the boys need a little more determination in them this offseason, really putting in the very long hours of work to go to state.
And you don't think Rodenberg knows what's going on? The guys been around the block. The 2016 team lacked great senior leadership. Maybe just the type of kids or maybe it is on the coaching staff? Hopefully the head coach takes it upon himself to not let it happen again. Maybe that why he named a junior captain for next year, and not the logical next in-line senior choice?
Old 12-13-16, 12:31 PM
Freshman

Fake Taxi is on a distinguished road
Last year's team had guys with a lot of talent but there were some weak spots and the lack of senior leadership definitely hurt them.
Old 12-13-16, 11:41 PM
Freshman

SignatureWin is on a distinguished road
Dates and Opponents

08/25 H Hamilton
09/01 A Louisville Trinity (KY)
09/08 H Georgetown Scott County (KY)
09/15 H Football North Prep Academy (ON)
09/22 H Cincinnati St. Xavier
09/29 H Cincinnati La Salle
10/06 A Cincinnati Elder
10/14 N Cleveland St. Ignatius
10/20 A Lakewood St. Edward
10/27 A Cincinnati Winton Woods

This is no easy schedule, never is. They have a lot of work to do.
Old 12-14-16, 09:14 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignatureWin View Post
Dates and Opponents

08/25 H Hamilton
09/01 A Louisville Trinity (KY)
09/08 H Georgetown Scott County (KY)
09/15 H Football North Prep Academy (ON)
09/22 H Cincinnati St. Xavier
09/29 H Cincinnati La Salle
10/06 A Cincinnati Elder
10/14 N Cleveland St. Ignatius
10/20 A Lakewood St. Edward
10/27 A Cincinnati Winton Woods

This is no easy schedule, never is. They have a lot of work to do.
It's not easy but if they can go 2-1 in the GCL they should be able to go 7-3, 6-4 at worst.
Old 12-14-16, 12:14 PM
All District

College#19 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake Taxi View Post
Last year's team had guys with a lot of talent but there were some weak spots and the lack of senior leadership definitely hurt them.
So the lack of senior leadership led to poor play calling, inconsistent QB play, blown coverages by the secondary, and some kids having to play certain positions because there were obvious voids in the depth chart.

It was a tough season, but not because lack of senior leadership. The entire team and coaching staff have a tough season.
Old 12-14-16, 05:53 PM
Freshman

Can anyone confirm whether or not kicker Tommy Capano left Moeller?
Old 12-15-16, 07:50 AM
Freshman

Kspade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake Taxi View Post
Can anyone confirm whether or not kicker Tommy Capano left Moeller?
He did.
Old 12-16-16, 06:54 AM
Junior Varsity

cincyfootball7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by College#19 View Post
So the lack of senior leadership led to poor play calling, inconsistent QB play, blown coverages by the secondary, and some kids having to play certain positions because there were obvious voids in the depth chart.

It was a tough season, but not because lack of senior leadership. The entire team and coaching staff have a tough season.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Couldn't agree more, people citing poor 'Senior Leadership' for last season's failures are clueless or delusional. It's been two terrible, underachieving seasons in a row, the worst two year stretch in the history of Moeller football. I can assure you that the reason for this has not been poor Senior leadership.
Old 01-08-17, 04:59 PM
All American

Quote:
And you don't think Rodenberg knows what's going on? The guys been around the block. The 2016 team lacked great senior leadership. Maybe just the type of kids or maybe it is on the coaching staff? Hopefully the head coach takes it upon himself to not let it happen again. Maybe that why he named a junior captain for next year, and not the logical next in-line senior choice?
Rodenberg sucks. He came in, was mediocre, brought back a couple coaches from the championship days... they won consistently... he got rid of them, and they've been on steady decline ever since. Hard guy? Lol.. you might be intimidated by him, but I'm not. What a joke.
Old 01-08-17, 05:04 PM
All American

Quote:
You took the words right out of my mouth. Couldn't agree more, people citing poor 'Senior Leadership' for last season's failures are clueless or delusional. It's been two terrible, underachieving seasons in a row, the worst two year stretch in the history of Moeller football. I can assure you that the reason for this has not been poor Senior leadership.
Rabbit says it's everybody's fault but Rody's, and he'll try to beat you up if you say so.
Old 01-11-17, 12:00 PM
All Ohio

LEONARD is on a distinguished road
2017 MOELLER VARSITY FOOTBALL SCHEDULE

8/25 Skyline Chili Crosstown Showdown
8:30 PM, Nippert Stadium (W)

9/1 @ Louisville Trinity (KY)(W)
7:30 PM

9/8 @ Scott County (KY) (W)
7:00 PM

9/15 Lafayette (KY)(W)
7:00 PM, Lockland

9/22 St. Xavier (L)

9/29 La Salle (L)

10/6 @ Elder (W)

10/13 St. Ignatius (L)
7:00 PM, Otterbein University

10/21 @ St. Edward (L)
4:00 PM

10/27 @ Winton Woods (W)

*All times subject to change

My predictions. Thoughts? Alot of Bluegrass flavor.

Last edited by LEONARD; 01-11-17 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-11-17, 05:14 PM
All Ohio

bluengoldblinders is on a distinguished road
Dude, who is in charge over at Moeller?

3 Home Games? Total clown show.

Between this awful schedule, awful coaching, lackluster performance, what is really going on?

If it weren't for Coach Kremer and the basketball program, I wouldn't know what to say to people about what Moeller is actually impressive at anymore?

Baseball was awful last year, wrestling is "rebuilding," football can't even schedule 5 home games, let alone win 5 games!

What a joke
Old 01-11-17, 07:56 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengoldblinders View Post
Dude, who is in charge over at Moeller?

3 Home Games? Total clown show.

Between this awful schedule, awful coaching, lackluster performance, what is really going on?

If it weren't for Coach Kremer and the basketball program, I wouldn't know what to say to people about what Moeller is actually impressive at anymore?

Baseball was awful last year, wrestling is "rebuilding," football can't even schedule 5 home games, let alone win 5 games!

What a joke
Obviously the Athletic Director? Also some of the stuff the school is putting out in general appears to be very average. Not sure what is going on. Can't help but think anyone interested in working in education can make better $ at one of the good public schools or work at the University level.

Looks like we are heading down the road of being the new LaSalle.
Old 01-12-17, 07:18 AM
Lenten Sacrifice: Yappi

EagleFan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEONARD View Post
2017 MOELLER VARSITY FOOTBALL SCHEDULE

8/25 Skyline Chili Crosstown Showdown
8:30 PM, Nippert Stadium (W)

9/1 @ Louisville Trinity (KY)(W)
7:30 PM

9/8 @ Scott County (KY) (W)

9/15 Lafayette (KY)(W)

9/22 St. Xavier (L)

9/29 La Salle (L)

10/6 @ Elder (W)

10/13 St. Ignatius (L)
7:00 PM, Otterbein University

10/21 @ St. Edward (L)
4:00 PM

10/27 @ Winton Woods (W)

*All times subject to change

My predictions. Thoughts? Alot of Bluegrass flavor.
Skyline opponent still Hamilton?
State Runner-Up Lafayette is a huuuge upgrade over Football North.
Old 01-12-17, 11:33 AM
Freshman

Real is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Skyline opponent still Hamilton?
State Runner-Up Lafayette is a huuuge upgrade over Football North.
Still Hamilton.
Old 01-12-17, 12:19 PM
All American

birdog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Obviously the Athletic Director? Also some of the stuff the school is putting out in general appears to be very average. Not sure what is going on. Can't help but think anyone interested in working in education can make better $ at one of the good public schools or work at the University level.

Looks like we are heading down the road of being the new LaSalle.
In 2016 we had to wait until week 7 (Elder) for a true home game (if you want to call Lockland) a true home game.

In 2017 the last 4 are on the road. I know scheduling can be difficult but give me a break. GBM

When will this program secure a stadium of it's own. The other 3 GCL-S schools found a way. Being landlocked is no longer an acceptable excuse.
Old 01-12-17, 01:23 PM
All American

moeprep21
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdog View Post

When will this program secure a stadium of it's own. The other 3 GCL-S schools found a way. Being landlocked is no longer an acceptable excuse.
They're trying, believe me. Unfortunately it's not exactly priority #1 but it's always on the table. Moeller was really close to a stadium deal at the old Silverton Park site about six or seven years ago. The details might be foggy but if I remember correctly, Moeller had blueprints and a finance plan in place with the City of Silverton and were closing in on a deal. Apparently, at the 11th hour, the city changed the financing terms and Moeller scrapped the deal. Silverton ended up constructing an elementary school on those grounds.

After the Silverton plan fell through, there were a couple of other proposals that never really got off the ground. There was the cooperative plan with Madeira high school to renovate their stadium and then the site in West Chester at VOA Park to construct a stadium. Obviously neither of those plans went anywhere.

Ultimately, any future stadium plan will definitely be off-campus. It's not necessarily an issue of the campus being landlocked. Feasibly, there is enough square footage to place a 6K-8K capacity stadium behind the school. It's a matter of zoning and cooperation from the surrounding neighborhood/municipality. Moeller wouldn't be able to use lights, which pretty much renders the facility useless, and the parking situation would be an abject nightmare and the locals have put the kibosh on that.

If I had to guess, Moeller will be playing their home games somewhere other than Lockland in the next few years but it will almost certainly be at a joint-use facility that belongs to another school or entity. It isn't ideal but it's the most viable.
Old 01-12-17, 04:10 PM
All Ohio

What are the priorities over there anymore?

I graduated in 2000 and it was very apparent what the priorities were at the time:

1.) The learning Center/Library
2.) The Brisben Center
3.) Old Gym made into permanent auditorium
- Still doesn't seem completed

Seems not that long after those goals were mostly complete, they finally fixed the parking lot, built the O'Connor Center and the Faust Complex. Recently upgraded the locker rooms, that was much needed.

What in the world are they focused on now?

I can't for the life of me figure it out, and I financially contribute every year.

Still living like it's 1960 with no air conditioning, the Gallenstein Center looks like it's rotting.

It doesn't take a genius to have some vision and I don't buy that having a shoestring budget or only a few people, that's a good reason to have a crappy product.

I started the thread about the uniforms because they look bushleague and sadly, they're NIKE uniforms! Moeller doesn't need to hire a marketing company to understand the basics of streamlining logos and what not. There's like 5 logos when there really needs to be two at the most, one for the institution and one for the athletic department. I think one would suffice!

I'm complaining about the schedule, because it's awful. I would understand if we were winning 60 straight games again, but we're not. There's no more "alleged" ban from the GMC and that's the BS schedule they can come up with?

Anyone have any idea what the enrollment numbers looks like? I'm not suggesting Moeller is losing students and in a situation where they'd shrink, but they are COLLECTIVELY producing and marketing a great product, poorly.

I think we can do better, come on man!
Old 01-12-17, 04:45 PM
All American

moeprep21
The last published enrollment # I could find was 955. That was taken in the 15-16 academic year so it may be off by a dozen or so either way but it's probably very near that. I believe that's about where Moeller has capped the enrollment. I know some studies were done several years ago and it was decided that the school operated most efficiently with an enrollment of 1K or slightly less.
Old 01-12-17, 06:48 PM
All Ohio

Glad to see the response from everyone. Glad to see some people still care. After reading everyone's points I have a few to add.

1. Enrollment #'s- As moeprep stated, moeller has been around 1000 boys for a very long time. And I agree that it most likely is the most effective size. I have heard of Moeller not admitting some students. Does Moe not want to grow enrollment numbers and keep the school capped at 1k? If they are increasing tuition every year and filling all the seats what is the motivation to change anything? And why pay a marketing person to attract more students if they are already meeting their admission goals. Especially to market the athletic program, considering plenty of boys want to come to Montgomery for sports.

2. How can alumni help without just sending the school $ and not coming off as crazies? Also does the school and athletic administration want any input at all from alumni? Or to just attend their fundraisers.

3. AD Asbeck, please let Coach Lindsey be involved in some of these bigger picture problems in the athletic department such as the logo's and what not. He is a young alum who is a great guy, hard working and in touch with todays youth.
Old 01-12-17, 10:06 PM
All American

moeprep21
Quote:
Glad to see the response from everyone. Glad to see some people still care. After reading everyone's points I have a few to add.

1. Enrollment #'s- As moeprep stated, moeller has been around 1000 boys for a very long time. And I agree that it most likely is the most effective size. I have heard of Moeller not admitting some students. Does Moe not want to grow enrollment numbers and keep the school capped at 1k? If they are increasing tuition every year and filling all the seats what is the motivation to change anything? And why pay a marketing person to attract more students if they are already meeting their admission goals. Especially to market the athletic program, considering plenty of boys want to come to Montgomery for sports.
Moeller is in fact turning away applicants. Last school year's incoming freshman class had over 400 applicants and admitted right around 250. It's not necessarily a motivation to "change" anything on the administration's part, but certainly you must continue to evolve in order to remain desirable. When you're desirable you have the luxury of turning away students. I know from reliable people that Moeller has decided pretty firmly on a cap of 1K students. There are many financial variables that go into that # so no need to bore you with the minutia but it's definitely capped at 1k.

The other thing I'd like to add, in response to LEONARD's plea to Mike Asbeck is this; Allow me to preface this with I am not intimately involved with the athletic department anymore. I donate money but I have zero involvement or influence within the department. However, I do have friends that are still very much involved with the department. Some of them are head coaches of various sports at various levels. Each of them, to a man, has told me almost the exact same thing regarding Asbeck. He tends to be more concerned with the financial viability/stability of the athletic department than he is with just winning. It's not that winning isn't important to him, but he feels he is first tasked with making sure that the athletic department is a good financial steward to the rest of the school. I've been told that Mike acts more as a CFO than a COO to put it in corporate terms. Again, I don't know this to be true myself but I certainly trust the people who have expressed those opinions. Ultimately, if true, I don't even know one way or another if that's such a bad thing. If the administration is telling him that his first objective is to maintain a sound balance sheet then I guess who can really blame him? Personally, I want a guy at that position who is Hell-bent on making every program within the school a state championship caliber program but if his boss is giving him other orders then you can't really fault him.

Last edited by moeprep21; 01-12-17 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-13-17, 04:13 PM
All Ohio

Thank you, Prep. I feel pretty confident the enrollment # of 1000 has been in place since I was a student there, so being right at the mark I find refreshing.

As for the AD, never met him, he came on board as I've moved from Cincinnati. I also see no issue with the emphasis on financial stability, but I also agree with your sentiment that a school of Moeller's caliber should be fielding championship contending teams in the various programs. At this moment, I only see the Basketball program being on that level.

To show how lacking our alma mater is in being a 21st century institution, just look at our fellow GCL rivals and how serious they take marketing standards and logos:

LaSalle: https://www.lasallehs.net/about/press-kit
- A press kit! That doesn't take a genius to do this and it is the right thing to do.

St. Xavier and Elder also have streamlined their logos and modernized.

I mean, this is all we have? http://www.moeller.org/page/about/the-moeller-brand

I just want the uniforms (football) to be UNIFORM and to keep using the off centered M that someone thought was a good idea to put on the field at the faust Center was a terrible idea.