Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-10-17, 02:59 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Should any changes be made to the Division I Format?

Should there be any changes to the current makeup of DI?

Do you like just 72 teams? Is 72 teams too many?

Do you like 4 regions or should they go back to just 2 regions? Or no regions at all?

Should they allow teams to self select up to DI regardless of their current division?

One rule that I would like to change is that all champions from the prior season should have to move up one division.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-17, 03:15 PM
All District

bsee54321 is on a distinguished road
Before any changes I am interested in seeing how the Competitive Balance formula is going to effect Division placement. I liked the 2 regions system better than the 4 regions in Division I.
Old 01-10-17, 03:50 PM
All American

Irish60 is on a distinguished road
Since CBP won't do anything for D1, how about something like this. Take the 8 regional semifinalists from one year and put them in a Premier Division for the following year. They would each be assured of making the playoffs in the Premier Division. Leave the rest of D1 as it is. The 8 teams would play a couple fewer games, but OHSAA could promote these state quarterfinal games. And, in the event one of the 8 teams wants out due to graduation, then they can opt out, and the next team up could take its place. Wouldn't solve all the problems, but would make for some big time quarterfinal games, plus open the door for other D1 teams in the regular division.
Old 01-10-17, 04:06 PM
All World

tom 48 is on a distinguished road
How about leaving things alone for a while?
Old 01-10-17, 04:49 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
Since CBP won't do anything for D1, how about something like this. Take the 8 regional semifinalists from one year and put them in a Premier Division for the following year. They would each be assured of making the playoffs in the Premier Division. Leave the rest of D1 as it is. The 8 teams would play a couple fewer games, but OHSAA could promote these state quarterfinal games. And, in the event one of the 8 teams wants out due to graduation, then they can opt out, and the next team up could take its place. Wouldn't solve all the problems, but would make for some big time quarterfinal games, plus open the door for other D1 teams in the regular division.
Hate it....

To the rest of the other D1 teams.... just work on getting better.
Old 01-10-17, 04:50 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
I do like the idea of D1 being an open division and teams can opt to move up into but the OHSAA would have to make it worth while and differentiate D1 from other divisions....
Old 01-10-17, 05:08 PM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom 48 View Post
How about leaving things alone for a while?
I agree. There are just too many changes being made over and over and over at this point.
Old 01-10-17, 06:14 PM
All Region

bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
1. Public and privates in own classes.. maybe 2 private classes (bigger schools, smaller schools).

2. 16 teams per region for D1 and D2 - 12 via Harbin formula, 4 at large that are more deserving than 4 that got in based on schedules and the issues that go with that and clearly not better than a team or 2 sitting at home.

3. Better sites for the 2017 playoffs. There were way too many head scratchers for the selected sites.

4. 7:00 playoff start times. I hate the 7:30 starts. It's 7:00 all season, why change for playoffs. (but that's due to me coming from Erie and getting home sometimes at 12:00-1:00.
Old 01-10-17, 06:24 PM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enough
I like D1 as it is for the time being. I'd like to see it go back to 2 regions at some point.
Old 01-10-17, 06:39 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
I like it just the way it was last year. Let's keep it as the 72 largest schools. That's a logical and easily measured metric.

Let's also keep the FOUR versus TWO region format. This means that early round playoff games occur in a much smaller geographical area leading to less travel and bigger crowds. First round playoff games between Columbus & Cincinnati area schools never made any sense to me on a practical basis.
Old 01-10-17, 07:22 PM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
I'd cut halftime down to 12 minutes plus 3 minute of warm up time.

There's no reason for halftime to be as long as a running clock second half.
Old 01-10-17, 08:03 PM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
I'd cut halftime down to 12 minutes plus 3 minute of warm up time.

There's no reason for halftime to be as long as a running clock second half.
Best suggestion ever!
Old 01-10-17, 08:59 PM
All Region

ringer2 is on a distinguished road
There is not a school in the state that would self-select up to D1.
Old 01-10-17, 09:04 PM
All World

tom 48 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringer2 View Post
There is not a school in the state that would self-select up to D1.
Massillon?
Old 01-10-17, 09:14 PM
All Region

ringer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom 48 View Post
Massillon?
No way, despite their fan's blather.
Old 01-10-17, 09:24 PM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
How about cutting down the number of playoff qualifiers to a ratio equal to the other divisions?
Old 01-10-17, 09:32 PM
All World

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Add all parochials d4 and up (meaning d3,2) to D1.
Old 01-10-17, 10:29 PM
All Ohio

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringer2 View Post
No way, despite their fan's blather.
Oh, I think Massillon would play up in a heartbeat. Not even a question.

The only thing I would change about D1 would be to eliminate D7 and have all private schools play up one division. So you'd get some of the borderline D1/D2 publics back (Massillon, Perry, Hudson, etc.) in D1 and teams like LaSalle. Big D1 privates like Iggy would stay where they are -- no "super" division. If you could bump the number of teams in each region to about 20-22 or so then the playoffs would be a tad harder to get in. Champions would not play up a division the next year.

I'd also restore as much of the old region 2 as possible for the Stark/Toledo/N-Central OH teams.
Old 01-11-17, 07:11 AM
All District

Hornetfan16 is on a distinguished road
I know this is a high school forum but take the NFL for example they keep changing the rules and it pisses people off like in NASCAR which you used to have to wait 3-4 years to get tickets like at Daytona and other places now you can get tickets in just the coming months instead of years. Change the rules you lose money and fans. Not a wonder the attendance is down in the football state championships.
Old 01-11-17, 08:19 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
Add all parochials d4 and up (meaning d3,2) to D1.
I look forward to seeing the Cleveland Central Catholic Ironmen hammer the Solon Comets. McQuaide won't know what hit him.
Old 01-11-17, 09:35 AM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Let it be.

DI has never really been the problem even though there has been dominance by the super power Catholic's. I think if you asked all the DI publics they would tell you they would not change a thing.

It is the smaller divisions with Catholic and private schools that miraculously have the top athletes from their greater metro area while their enrollment is dropping because the thought is to prop up their athletics in hopes of boosting revenue and enrollment. Those schools have poisoned the market.

Moving a team up just because the won a title the previous year does not seem fair as I have seen some team, especially smaller division teams, that have had a really special class of kids and then fall off a cliff talent wise.
Old 01-11-17, 09:51 AM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
It is the smaller divisions with Catholic and private schools that miraculously have the top athletes from their greater metro area while their enrollment is dropping because the thought is to prop up their athletics in hopes of boosting revenue and enrollment. Those schools have poisoned the market.
I think you'll get some disagreement here considering that public MAC schools have dominated the smaller divisions while private schools have dominated the larger ones.

Unless I'm just missing your sarcasm?
Old 01-11-17, 10:33 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Should there be any changes to the current makeup of DI?

Do you like just 72 teams? Is 72 teams too many?

Do you like 4 regions or should they go back to just 2 regions? Or no regions at all?

Should they allow teams to self select up to DI regardless of their current division?

One rule that I would like to change is that all champions from the prior season should have to move up one division.
Less than 72 is silly

Who is gonna self select to move up? Anyone?

What division does the D1 champ move up to?
Old 01-11-17, 11:03 AM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
For the playoffs, Division 1 games should have at least 7 officials.
Old 01-11-17, 11:13 AM
All Region

All schools should have on-line pre-game ticket sales. (That is so convienent). Plus it would be nice if they were sold on line at least 1-2 weeks ahead of each game. (Regular season).
Old 01-11-17, 11:41 AM
All American

Irish60 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
I think you'll get some disagreement here considering that public MAC schools have dominated the smaller divisions while private schools have dominated the larger ones.

He's not being sarcastic. He's being silly.
Old 01-11-17, 03:32 PM
All Region

Not schedule St. Ed vs St Ignatius week 10 every year.

1. They could play week 10 and then may have to turn around and play in week 11 That is dumb. I hate when that happens.

2. If there is no real playoff implications, it turns into a semi-dud. AKA this year at First Energy. If it was in week about 4,5, or 6 - You know it has playoff implications at that time still.
Old 01-11-17, 03:45 PM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post

I'm not being sarcastic at all. I should have clarified but there are certain metro private schools that used to have an influx of students whose demographic has disappeared. In facing certain death with the old business model these schools began recruiting great athletes in the hopes that the money sports will create revenue and increase enrollment.

Several years ago I know of one such school that had 80 kids out for freshman football in a class of roughly 125. They are in the same division as schools in closed districts that have an average of 25-30 kids out for freshman ball on a yearly basis.

Everyone understands that these schools are the main reason for competitive balance.

Last edited by irish_buffalo; 01-11-17 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-11-17, 04:27 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
II should have clarified but there are certain metro private schools that used to have an influx of students whose demographic has disappeared.
That would be all of the metro privates.

They've all experienced two waves. The first wave in the 40s and 50s resulted in construction of new buildings in the 50s and 60s that could serve the exodus families and the left behind families. The exodus families paid for the new buildings and maintained the tradition of Catholic education in their families by switching to the newer, bigger, frequently merged schools.

In Columbus, Aquinas families went to DeSales, Holy Rosary to Hartley, Victory to Watterson, Holy Family to Ready, etc. Same things happened everywhere.

That tradition mostly ended with the next generation. That generation moved out of the older 40s/50s suburbs, quit attending Mass in large numbers, and sent their kids to public schools.

Of the old schools, only the ones with a massive, engaged alumni association and a huge endowment were able to move or improve their facilities and keep the doors open. Many schools, like Mooney, made the decision to move after the money had dried up too much. Many are dying and will struggle to remain open any way that they can for as long as they can. Many on vouchers.

Not sure which one(s) you had in mind.
Old 01-11-17, 05:00 PM
Lenten Sacrifice: Yappi

EagleFan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
Not schedule St. Ed vs St Ignatius week 10 every year.

1. They could play week 10 and then may have to turn around and play in week 11 That is dumb. I hate when that happens.

2. If there is no real playoff implications, it turns into a semi-dud. AKA this year at First Energy. If it was in week about 4,5, or 6 - You know it has playoff implications at that time still.
Used to be Week 8, and I believe Week 2 way back in the day. I got no problem with Week 10, but OHSAA has no say on it.