Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Football (NFL)

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-11-17, 08:44 AM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Latest Pro Football Developmental League

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...ut-winter-2017

If they could ever get a league like this to really work, and got television coverage and fan interest, it would be a bit of a blow to college football. You would then have kids, much like baseball, weighing the options of going minor league pro right out of high school, or heading to college for at least three years. I think it's a good idea, but the NFL itself has to get behind it to make it viable in the long term.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-17, 01:44 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...ut-winter-2017

If they could ever get a league like this to really work, and got television coverage and fan interest, it would be a bit of a blow to college football. You would then have kids, much like baseball, weighing the options of going minor league pro right out of high school, or heading to college for at least three years. I think it's a good idea, but the NFL itself has to get behind it to make it viable in the long term.
Fan interest will be very low. I am not sure it will be a huge blow to college football. College FB will still be by far the best option for players to get developed.

Yes, it is a good idea but I dont believe it will hurt college football at all. Occasionally a player may leave college a year earlier to do this but I dont think it will do much to hurt.
Old 01-11-17, 02:08 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
I think the NFL would have to rework their draft eligibility criteria if something like this ever did catch on. As it is, if you don't go through college, you have to wait four years post-HS graduation to become eligible.

Attendance for this things would be low and TV non-existent. Americans do not really tend to care about pro minor league sports.
Old 01-11-17, 02:22 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
I think the NFL would have to rework their draft eligibility criteria if something like this ever did catch on. As it is, if you don't go through college, you have to wait four years post-HS graduation to become eligible.

Attendance for this things would be low and TV non-existent. Americans do not really tend to care about pro minor league sports.
I am not sure the NFL would need to rework their draft criteria. I dont believe we will see many legit prospects going right from HS to this league. I could see maybe some leaving college a year or two earlier because they want/need the $$ and/or just dont want to be in college any longer.

I dont believe the NFL wants to get into the situation like the NBA where more players are drafted more on straight-up potential and making the first couple years as a training program. As is now, 3-4 big time college seasons is barely enough for a kid to come into the league and be a huge impact and starter.

There is a place for this, no doubt, but I dont think it will affect college much and it wont make the NFL flinch one bit. PLus, if The League doesnt get behind it I dont expect it to last very long. TV$$$ is where its at and this wont get much .
Old 01-11-17, 02:30 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
I said if this ever caught on. If it did, a lot of players who want to get paid and don't want to deal with academics and the limitations of the NCAA would jump right into it.
Old 01-11-17, 02:46 PM
All Yappi

Yeah, i see what you are saying.

I just dont see it catching on in that manner. These colleges have state-of-the-art training in multi million $$ training rooms and such. I think it is rare even now to see a kid who is just a frosh or soph and has 1-2 years of big time college ball and training to become a legit NFL pick. There are some, but not many. I venture to say these college recruits are much better off attending the colleges and that training and experience.