Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-06-17, 11:36 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Minn. no dummies and neither is Fleck. I agree, this was probably already worked out before the letting go. Kudos to Fleck for waiting until AFTER their bowl game. Makes me also wonder exactly how early this had been arranged becuase you can bet he'd already passed up some good opportunities.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-17, 09:38 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
This isn't going to be as easy as people think for Fleck. Unlike other coaches who get hired and hit the road recruiting, he's going to have to recruit back every player on his current roster. The football team's displeasure with the administration has been well publicized because of the media attention the sport get's especially when they're successful. What hasn't been as publicized is that many other programs are also having issues with school administration. Athletes are leaving the school at an alarming rate and if you think that's not being used against them in the recruiting battles you're crazy.
Old 01-07-17, 10:05 AM
All American

CincyHSFootballFan is on a distinguished road
Lol to OBCF who kept claiming Fleck would stay at WMU until he got a big time job. In a year Fleck will have wished he at the least listened to UC. Minnesota first off is a tough job as is, without the huge scandal. I like Fleck so I will be rooting for him. I think he thought he would get a much better job but realized that would not happen.
Old 01-07-17, 10:35 AM
All Yappi

3 mil a year isn't "big time?"
Old 01-07-17, 10:36 AM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
To be fair OBCD said P5 or bust, which he was right on. But yeah it's funny how he was going on and on about Fleck making so much money next year and how he'd be dumb t leave because of all the easy wins he'd get at WMU.
Old 01-07-17, 11:45 AM
All World

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Give him three years and they will be much better program,they are lucky to get him...BAM!
Old 01-07-17, 02:08 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
This isn't going to be as easy as people think for Fleck. Unlike other coaches who get hired and hit the road recruiting, he's going to have to recruit back every player on his current roster. The football team's displeasure with the administration has been well publicized because of the media attention the sport get's especially when they're successful. What hasn't been as publicized is that many other programs are also having issues with school administration. Athletes are leaving the school at an alarming rate and if you think that's not being used against them in the recruiting battles you're crazy.
Quote:
Minnesota's recruiting ranking skyrockets one day after P.J. Fleck's arrival
Would a new student, a recruit or student really give a crap what a few think about the Minn. Admin? And Minn Admin wasn't doing anything any different than most would have done. There's nowhere for the dissatisfied to go that would operate much if any differently. Recruits aren't going to find an Admin somewhere else that's interested in any due process that's not in the by-laws on which the University is obligated to consult.

Be interesting to see how Fleck addresses the situation but his first words were, he's there to "change the culture." Well, he can't be thinking he's referring to the culture of the Admin.

Credit to both sides, standing up for what they believe.
Old 01-07-17, 02:12 PM
Junior Varsity

bob99 is on a distinguished road
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaa...cid=spartandhp

Fleck off to a good start.
Old 01-08-17, 02:05 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
3 mil a year isn't "big time?"
Cincinnati was offering the same to Brohm.
Old 01-08-17, 02:59 PM
All American

st X ts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHSFootballFan View Post
Lol to OBCF who kept claiming Fleck would stay at WMU until he got a big time job. In a year Fleck will have wished he at the least listened to UC. Minnesota first off is a tough job as is, without the huge scandal. I like Fleck so I will be rooting for him. I think he thought he would get a much better job but realized that would not happen.
Almost assuredly not.
Old 01-08-17, 03:17 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Old 01-08-17, 06:29 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
If I was Fleck, I'd have had a tough time taking that job giving all of the troubles up there. I think they're even still in the hearing process. I'd have said thanks but no thanks and built on my success at WMU for another year until another P5 job became available. Then again, maybe you need to take the P5 job if it is in front of you.
Old 01-08-17, 09:01 PM
All Yappi

Maybe he saw something he felt he could help "fix?"
Old 01-09-17, 09:41 AM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
As someone who lived up there for a few years, attended games and got a good feel for the football program's place in the world, I think Fleck will be just fine. They were blindsided by Kill's departure and didn't really want Claeys. Sure, they just had a very successful season from a W-L standpoint, but the big donors have kicked in a lot of money to upgrade facilities and the football budget because they look over at what Wisconsin football has become and they see no reason they should not be as good, or better. Claeys just doesn't have the personality to grow the program to that level, in their opinion, so I think they were just looking for a reason to get him out.

They hit the jackpot with Fleck. Even with all the turmoil at the moment, I believe Fleck will ultimately improve Minny's program hugely. His personality will win over most skeptical recruits and parents. Minny hit a home run in the middle of a crap-storm.
Old 01-09-17, 10:26 AM
All American

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
As I said from the jump, in college sports, you have an influx of athletes looking for full rides. They could give a hoot about the administration or the AD. They want to play football and get a scholarship for it. Yes, if you have a student-athlete who has choices, they may not look at Minnesota quite as favorably if they perceive the school is shaky or doesn't treat it's athletes right.
Old 01-10-17, 10:03 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by st X ts View Post
Almost assuredly not.
Lets see, Minnesota has won 10 games once since 1900 in a season. They are an annual middle to lower tier Big Ten team. Fleck, if his end goal is to get a big time job where he can win national championships, went to a very easy place for young coaches to go and kill their hopes of a big time job.

It goes back to the argument on the other thread. Is it easier to win 10 games or more at UC, Houston or some of the other AAC schools and get to a big time bowl, or Win 10 games or more in the Big Ten when your Minnesota?

The only good thing for Fleck is they are in the decidedly weaker side of the of the Big Ten. So it is easier to win that side of the conference.

Again, I like Fleck and will be rooting for him, especially vs OSU, but I don't get his arrogance to only listen to the P5 when he could be paid the same to coach at a place that would be easier to reach his end goal.
Old 01-10-17, 12:05 PM
All Yappi

I think there's a lot of argument against Cinci being easier than Minn. Who the heck does Minn have to recruit against? As I posted earlier, The Dakotas have shown, there's a lot of talent up there not being picked on by the big boys, yet capable of beating the big boys. They have Ontario and are reasonably close to Chicago, Fleck's stomping ground where he's done very well. Columbus St occasionally recruits from Ohio.

Cinci, though it would seem to be a much better football option, doesn't have much recruiting game on Indiana, Purdue or Kentucky. They have ND and the other private Catholics grabbing dibs on the private high schools.

And... Cinci is much more conservative than Minn. No doubt if anyone, he would have made headway into that recruiting but how would Fleck have gone over with the adults, compared to who they got? Fickle's not dynamic but neither was or is Tressel. I think both schools got the right person for the right time.

Last edited by eastisbest; 01-10-17 at 12:15 PM..
Old 01-10-17, 12:25 PM
Cooling Off

Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
^^ Wisconsin. Besides, UC doesn't need high 4*s and 5*s to compete for a conference title. You need that to compete against OSU, Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin.
Old 01-10-17, 12:34 PM
All Yappi

Fleck doesn't need to win the Big Ten to show he's a good coach. Franklin came from Vanderbilt ffs
Old 01-10-17, 01:51 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
^^ Wisconsin. Besides, UC doesn't need high 4*s and 5*s to compete for a conference title. You need that to compete against OSU, Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin.
counter:
Wisc had only 4 Minn players on their roster and none from west of there. It's free range recruiting. Cycles: a team did not need 4-5 star players to compete against three of the four you mentioned not too long ago and schools get the same talent by developing it. 4-5 stars are coming from well-developed programs. They can be found elsewhere and you don't need to field 11 of them to get to 10 wins.

I'll grant UC probably has an easier route to a conference title but if the goal is leaping one of those programs that attracts 4-5 star players, you'll do that just as quick putting a competitive B10 team on the field as winning an AACC.

I think Fickle will get the job done, with maybe the possibility of hanging around longer.
Old 01-10-17, 01:52 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
Fleck doesn't need to win the Big Ten to show he's a good coach. Franklin came from Vanderbilt ffs
With wins over Ole Miss, Auburn, Tenn, Georgia and Florida. It's not like he got it because he beat Kentucky every year.
Old 01-10-17, 01:54 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
counter:
Wisc had only 4 Minn players on their roster and none from west of there. It's free range recruiting. Cycles: a team did not need 4-5 star players to compete against three of the four you mentioned not too long ago and schools get the same talent by developing it. 4-5 stars are coming from well-developed programs. They can be found elsewhere and you don't need to field 11 of them to get to 10 wins.

I'll grant UC probably has an easier route to a conference title but if the goal is leaping one of those programs that attracts 4-5 star players, you'll do that just as quick putting a competitive B10 team on the field as winning an AACC.

I think Fickle will get the job done, with maybe the possibility of hanging around longer.
Counter: Minnesota isn't going to compete for the Big 10 W/Big 10 CC with Minnesota players and there are a whole host of others to recruit against for the recruits west of Minnesota.
Old 01-10-17, 02:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
With wins over Ole Miss, Auburn, Tenn, Georgia and Florida. It's not like he got it because he beat Kentucky every year.
And I'm sure Fleck will beat Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin, etc. in his career if he's as good as advertised.
Old 01-10-17, 02:08 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
And I'm sure Fleck will beat Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin, etc. in his career if he's as good as advertised.
Iowa is a foregone conclusion. Nebraska is likely. Wisconsin maybe. Still not nearly the same thing as what Franklin did.
Old 01-10-17, 02:50 PM
All Yappi

If Fleck beats those programs at Minnesota, he'll prove himself capable of coaching a bigger program without winning his conference. It would be the same process Franklin went through.
Old 01-10-17, 04:57 PM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
Their starting C is transferring, and four of their previous commits have decommitted already.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-c...mit/410128255/

Good luck, PJ. Western Michigan recruits aren't going to cut it in the Big Ten.

http://www.startribune.com/p-j-fleck...ips/410036725/
Old 01-10-17, 09:33 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Counter: Minnesota isn't going to compete for the Big 10 W/Big 10 CC with Minnesota players and there are a whole host of others to recruit against for the recruits west of Minnesota.
I already argued, he doesn't need to win conference championships in the B10 to get the big leap but I'm not sure where this "whole host" is and no, those B10/B12 schools that are within reach are not recruiting the Dakotas, hence the success of the Dakotas and Boises (who also has West Coast connections). It's so sparse up there, I'm not sure it's economically effective for other B10/B12 schools to run camps and recruit.

Fleck's personality can be fun, in the short term but then it can begin to grate. And then there's been a couple very serious player discretions up at WMU. I don't think he would have lasted in Cinci.

We'll see how Fickle does. I still think he has advantage over Fleck recruiting Cinci and making impressions with Cinci Alums. I guess my paranoid concern, is he willing to confront Columbus St, willing to recruit against them...
Old 01-11-17, 08:22 AM
Cooling Off

You do realize there 2 conferences that have a foot print west of Minnesota, right?

Fleck isn't gonna get a top tier job if he can't even compete for a divisional title and he isn't going to beat Wisconsin with Western Michigan level recruits.
Old 01-11-17, 11:37 AM
All Yappi

I imagine he'll recruit better than WMU recruits but WMU recruits were competitive with mid-level B10. Heck, they were competitive with Wisc.

It's a time will tell, easy to revisit.