Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-23-16, 12:55 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Former NBA coach George Karl rips Carmelo Anthony in new book

From George Karl's new book "Furious George"

Quote:
Carmelo was a true conundrum for me in the six years I had him. He was the best offensive player I ever coached. He was also a user of people, addicted to the spotlight and very unhappy when he had to share it.

He really lit my fuse with his low demand of himself on defense," Karl said in the book. "He had no commitment to the hard, dirty work of stopping the other guy. My ideal — probably every coach’s ideal — is when your best player is also your leader. But since Carmelo only played hard on one side of the ball, he made it plain he couldn’t lead the Nuggets, even though he said he wanted to. Coaching him meant working around his defense and compensating for his attitude.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-16, 01:23 PM
Fake coolin' off

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
No surprise there.
Old 12-23-16, 02:59 PM
All Yappi

Jhubbs77 is on a distinguished road
Karl definitely seems like a miserable human
Old 12-23-16, 04:58 PM
All Ohio

14Red is on a distinguished road
I don't know that this is groundbreaking. I think we all know Melo isn't a team guy and doesn't want to play defense. It's why he's not a leader and has never made a serious playoff run.

You have to surround a guy like him with some defensive stoppers. Larry Brown did this with Iverson and Philly, although I'd contend that at least Iverson put forth the effort to play defense, he was just really small to do so. Melo could be a good defender if he wanted to.
Old 12-23-16, 09:40 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhubbs77 View Post
Karl definitely seems like a miserable human
I guess the diva-boy a_holes got to him It had to be frustrating, to see all the talent, get close, but fall short with selfish play. If an NBA coach doesn't have an alpha player that is a solid citizen, it has to be pretty frustrating. Good for Karl, I say. As long as he's being truthful, and his opinions are based on facts.

At least he didn't get choked like PJ.
Old 12-25-16, 06:40 PM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
I guess the diva-boy a_holes got to him It had to be frustrating, to see all the talent, get close, but fall short with selfish play. If an NBA coach doesn't have an alpha player that is a solid citizen, it has to be pretty frustrating. Good for Karl, I say. As long as he's being truthful, and his opinions are based on facts.

At least he didn't get choked like PJ.
You can become a very rich man in the NBA and not grow an inch or give an inch from the day you're drafted until you retire. Shame on George Karl for speaking the truth.
Old 12-25-16, 07:01 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold is on a distinguished road
So just to clarify, Karl is taking $h!+ from the ESPN talking heads for saying what we already knew about Carmelo Anthony.
Old 12-27-16, 08:41 AM
All American

Jim Lahey has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
I don't know that this is groundbreaking. I think we all know Melo isn't a team guy and doesn't want to play defense. It's why he's not a leader and has never made a serious playoff run.

You have to surround a guy like him with some defensive stoppers. Larry Brown did this with Iverson and Philly, although I'd contend that at least Iverson put forth the effort to play defense, he was just really small to do so. Melo could be a good defender if he wanted to.
Factually incorrect. The Nuggets made it to the conference finals. Lost 4-2, 2 of their losses coming on a combined 7 points.
Old 12-27-16, 08:42 AM
All American

Karl sucks. There's a reason few, if any, of his former players speak positively about him.
Old 12-27-16, 12:19 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
Karl sucks. There's a reason few, if any, of his former players speak positively about him.
Imagine that. An NBA coach who actually tried to coach and his players hate him. Water is wet.
Old 12-27-16, 12:58 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
Imagine that. An NBA coach who actually tried to coach and his players hate him. Water is wet.
One example is hardly the rule. Plenty of players have great things to say about Luke Walton, Phil Jackson, Thibs, Lue, Pop, Carlisle, Kerr, Stevens and Rivers. But I'm sure none of them actually tried to coach, they let the players run free.
Old 12-27-16, 02:20 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Not sure a coach who has over 1,000 wins in the NBA would suck? And let's face it, he's coached during a time when there was Laker/ Celtics/ Bulls / Spurs dynasties, so long playoff runs were few and far between for guys not named Jackson, Riley and Popavitch.

Karl has to go down in that next tier of great but not championship caliber coaches in the history of the league.
Old 12-27-16, 02:27 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
One example is hardly the rule. Plenty of players have great things to say about Luke Walton, Phil Jackson, Thibs, Lue, Pop, Carlisle, Kerr, Stevens and Rivers. But I'm sure none of them actually tried to coach, they let the players run free.
For the most part, true.

Imagine another sports league that would give Mike Brown not one, not two, but three head coaching jobs.
Old 12-27-16, 02:56 PM
All American

Quote:
Not sure a coach who has over 1,000 wins in the NBA would suck? And let's face it, he's coached during a time when there was Laker/ Celtics/ Bulls / Spurs dynasties, so long playoff runs were few and far between for guys not named Jackson, Riley and Popavitch.

Karl has to go down in that next tier of great but not championship caliber coaches in the history of the league.
Karl as a person sucks. Better?

I wouldn't put him in the great level either. Great coaches find success in one place and stick to it or replicate in elsewhere. Karl averaged 3.27 years before leaving or getting hired in his career and never really matched his regular season success that he had in Seattle. He was a good coach, not great. And he sucked as a person.
Old 12-27-16, 02:59 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
For the most part, true.

Imagine another sports league that would give Mike Brown not one, not two, but three head coaching jobs.
Nah, we both know it isn't.

You mean like Mike Shanahan or Bobby Valentine?
Old 12-27-16, 03:11 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Karl as a person sucks. Better?

I wouldn't put him in the great level either. Great coaches find success in one place and stick to it or replicate in elsewhere. Karl averaged 3.27 years before leaving or getting hired in his career and never really matched his regular season success that he had in Seattle. He was a good coach, not great. And he sucked as a person.
I think it's difficult to name more than a handful of coached who've lasted more than 3.27 years with any team. Our pro sports are led by the players and fans these days. No one is patient, no one wants or appreciates structure. We have to two model franchises in pro sports now that win, the Patriots and the Spurs, who do it the old school, dictator way, yet no one follows that lead.
Players SAY they want to win, but most don't want to pay the price. Heck the NBA way is to get coaches fired until you find one that will mold themself around you. Magic, Jordan, LeBron...
Old 12-27-16, 03:28 PM
All American

Quote:
I think it's difficult to name more than a handful of coached who've lasted more than 3.27 years with any team. Our pro sports are led by the players and fans these days. No one is patient, no one wants or appreciates structure. We have to two model franchises in pro sports now that win, the Patriots and the Spurs, who do it the old school, dictator way, yet no one follows that lead.
Players SAY they want to win, but most don't want to pay the price. Heck the NBA way is to get coaches fired until you find one that will mold themself around you. Magic, Jordan, LeBron...
Phil Jackson (twice)
Pop
Pat Riley (twice)
Jerry Sloan
Chuck Daly
Doc Rivers (thrice)
Rick Carlisle
Don Nelson (4 times? Might be 3)
Rudy Tomjanovich
Thibs
Stan Van Gundy

I could go on.

There are patient fanbases out there. 76ers have committed to Brown. Bucks have committed to Kidd. Looks like the Lakers are going to be committed to Walton and the young kids in LA. Just off the top of my head.
Old 12-27-16, 07:55 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
So just to clarify, Karl is taking $h!+ from the ESPN talking heads for saying what we already knew about Carmelo Anthony.
I think half of those goofs would play a rusty trombone for a story........b1tches be buildin' relationships.
Old 12-27-16, 08:52 PM
Fake coolin' off

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Phil Jackson (twice)
Pop
Pat Riley (twice)
Jerry Sloan
Chuck Daly
Doc Rivers (thrice)
Rick Carlisle
Rudy Tomjanovich
Thibs
Stan Van Gundy

I could go on.

There are patient fanbases out there. 76ers have committed to Brown. Bucks have committed to Kidd. Looks like the Lakers are going to be committed to Walton and the young kids in LA. Just off the top of my head.
14red is always wrong about anything he posts. Pretty funny.
Old 12-28-16, 09:43 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold is on a distinguished road
I remember watching old George coach in his first NBA head coaching job with the Cavs team at the Coliseum.
Old 12-29-16, 08:15 AM
All American

And now Blazers coach Terry Stotts is coming out against Karl. Pretty telling given not only did Terry play for Karl with the Montana Golden Nuggets from 1980-1983, but Terry was Karl's assistant in Seattle from 1992-1998 and in Milwaukee from 1998-2002.

But I'm sure Terry is only coming out against Karl because Karl actually tried to coach and Terry wanted to let the players run the show, right CatAlum?
Old 12-29-16, 09:10 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Phil Jackson (twice)
Pop
Pat Riley (twice)
Jerry Sloan
Chuck Daly
Doc Rivers (thrice)
Rick Carlisle
Rudy Tomjanovich
Thibs
Stan Van Gundy

I could go on.

3 of the mentioned above are current coaches. You didn't mention Red Auerbach?? Ha!
My point is TODAY'S front offices/ fan bases aren't patient. Thibs by all rights should still be in Chicago, but the players whine and the coach goes. It's the way things go in pro sports now.
Old 12-29-16, 09:17 AM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Karl is/was a good coach.

But he sounds quite bitter about something
Old 12-29-16, 09:45 AM
All American

Quote:
3 of the mentioned above are current coaches. You didn't mention Red Auerbach?? Ha!
My point is TODAY'S front offices/ fan bases aren't patient. Thibs by all rights should still be in Chicago, but the players whine and the coach goes. It's the way things go in pro sports now.
I stuck with more modern coaches. What's it matter if 3 are current? They've been at their current coaching job for more than 3.27 years.

I just gave you multiple examples of teams being patient. Chicago hit reset with everyone except Jimmy, it had nothing to do with players complaining.