Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-25-18, 12:46 PM
Varsity

thecoachmoore is on a distinguished road
Lakota West Coach stepping down

Lakota West has announced head football coach Larry Cox is stepping down. Jeff Wadl is the interim head coach for this upcoming season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-18, 12:53 PM
All American

SouthwestOhioGuy17 is on a distinguished road
Cox resigns, Wadl named interim coach at Lakota West

https://www.journal-news.com/sports/...BzYHyppmAOibN/
Old 05-25-18, 03:20 PM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Cincinnati.com: Larry Cox has resigned as Lakota West football coach

https://cin.ci/2sbaiBz

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-18, 07:15 PM
All Ohio

DaPope is on a distinguished road
Bars must be packed in West Chester tonight, with Football parents celebrating!
Old 05-25-18, 11:34 PM
All District

BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
Ding dong the witch is dead
Old 05-26-18, 12:10 PM
All Region

IronEagle82 is on a distinguished road
Why do some Lakota West people have so much distain for Cox? Was he abusive to the players or parents? Or was this just based on wins and loses?
Old 05-26-18, 12:23 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronEagle82 View Post
Why do some Lakota West people have so much distain for Cox? Was he abusive to the players or parents? Or was this just based on wins and loses?
I've got no beef with him. He underachieved many years, but I don't believe he was a horrible coach, and more importantly, a horrible person. I think it will be good for the program to have something fresh and new. He had been with them from day one 20 years ago.

Old 05-26-18, 06:21 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronEagle82 View Post
It's kinda how coaches are treated as a whole nowadays. It's like people think a coach goes into any practice/meeting/game with the intent to lose. I don't know his personal relationships with the program and parents outside of what I read on here. I've seen them play a few times and there always seems to be high expectations for the program. I think at some point the parents at both Lakota schools are going to take a step back and realize maybe they aren't as good as they actually think they are. And that seems to be across the board in a majority of Male sports.

Oh and the excuse is they lose guys to the GCL, just like every other school in Cincy
Old 05-26-18, 06:29 PM
All World

Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
In most cases the most talented teams win. I think in Larry's case they were often the most talented team and they didn't win.
Old 05-26-18, 07:16 PM
All American

A lot depends on how that talent is used and how they play together. Having the best QB in the nation means nothing if you don't have guys who can catch the ball. Having the best DE in the country doesn't mean success if teams can just run to the opposite side. I'd rather have mid-level talent with balance over a few stars.
Old 05-26-18, 07:38 PM
All Yappi

Southwest Guy is on a distinguished road
Probably a great guy. Over the years Lakota West has been loaded with size in the trenches and skill players on both sides of the ball. Plenty of players went on to have very good college careers.
Not sure what the disconnect was. There were retired NFL players on staff as assistant coaches. No doubt the effort was there. Sooner or later wins and losses have to mean something.
Old 05-26-18, 08:17 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest Guy View Post
Probably a great guy. Over the years Lakota West has been loaded with size in the trenches and skill players on both sides of the ball. Plenty of players went on to have very good college careers.
Not sure what the disconnect was. There were retired NFL players on staff as assistant coaches. No doubt the effort was there. Sooner or later wins and losses have to mean something.
And that's pretty much why I said I think it was time to move on. No need for it to be nasty or for any hurt feelings with anyone involved. Sometimes it's just better for everyone, coach included, to part ways.

Old 05-26-18, 08:19 PM
All World

I think he's probably a really good guy and cared about his athletes. He worked for them to further their careers. What you don't have to do is dig very hard to find quite a few HS coaches who don't think much of his teams ability to execute and make the best use of their talent. The guy at East can breath easy for one more year because I don't think hiring an interim guy on staff is going to change anything.
Old 05-26-18, 09:24 PM
All American

Vincent and Regina is on a distinguished road
I saw him get out coached by HS kids from the other team at least 2 times. The timing of this makes me thing something just isn't right.
Old 05-26-18, 11:40 PM
All American

Timing aligns with end of the school year. May have been going back and forth with a decision and decided he wanted the summer to spend with family, friends, hobbies or whatever. There's also the possibility he knew it'd be tough for West to go outside the program at this point to hire someone. This gives someone from his staff a chance to have some success and earn the gig where if he were to resign right after the season or be fired I'm guessing West would look outside.

Seems like the AD was caught off guard by the decision.
Old 05-27-18, 06:13 AM
This is the year

gocards is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Rick View Post
In most cases the most talented teams win. I think in Larry's case they were often the most talented team and they didn't win.

Exactly. He was just a very poor coach that regularly underachieved with the talent that he had.
Old 05-27-18, 10:36 AM
All District

College#19 is on a distinguished road
Larry lost his competitive edge. He didn't work as hard or push the kids as hard as he did in his earlier years. He would probably admit that to those he trust behind closed doors. Something happened where Larry felt more compelled to just have kids playing football as opposed to trying to win every game. Not saying he didn't try to win, but he didn't have the fire and passion needed. Lot of talent has gone through the Lakota West program and there is a lot of talent in the school district. This is a great job but it will take a Coach with the fire in his belly to compete with Colerain.
Old 05-27-18, 02:21 PM
Ron Jeremey Stunt Double

skins99 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to skins99
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocards View Post
Exactly. He was just a very poor coach that regularly underachieved with the talent that he had.
Ill second that. Man his teams were bus warriors. Look great when they get off the bus. Usually did not translate to the level of success on the field.
Old 05-28-18, 10:47 AM
All American

Cox on his Lakota West resignation: 'This is somewhat like a divorce'

https://www.journal-news.com/sports/...iHVQUSHMXtEZM/
Old 05-28-18, 12:20 PM
All World

No doubt a good guy but this article. "took a program that was nothing" It was a new school and from the beginning there was no shortage of talent. Let's not confuse that with taking over a losing program. "I'm sort of sitting like Urban Meyer" Oh my, anyway, there were obviously some issues. My guess is they wanted him to hire new assistants with the hope they would run the offense and defense and he could be the HC.
Old 05-28-18, 01:33 PM
All American

Career assistant Wadl takes reins of Lakota West football program on interim basis

https://www.journal-news.com/sports/...yUbJDui4VSPrM/
Old 05-29-18, 08:01 AM
All District

2020Dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No doubt a good guy but this article. "took a program that was nothing" It was a new school and from the beginning there was no shortage of talent. Let's not confuse that with taking over a losing program. "I'm sort of sitting like Urban Meyer" Oh my, anyway, there were obviously some issues. My guess is they wanted him to hire new assistants with the hope they would run the offense and defense and he could be the HC.
Bingo!!!
Old 05-29-18, 10:10 AM
All District

BaBa au Rum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020Dad View Post
Bingo!!!
So interim head coach was on the staff for 18 years and state he keepin the staff?
Old 05-29-18, 10:22 AM
All Yappi

MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Not to be too contrarian here, but didn't all the good and experienced football players choose to go to East in 97, leaving Cox with only a senior or two? That sounds like a "program that was nothing" to me.
Old 05-29-18, 10:56 AM
All District

Bob Ashby is on a distinguished road
You are correct. The former Lakota coach, Greg Bailey, could choose which of the two new schools he would like to coach at and he chose Lakota East. All the juniors who had attended the Old Lakota High School the previous year could chose which school the wanted to attend as long as they could find transportation to get there. Virtually all the underclassmen were either from the East attendance zone or could chose East if they provided their own transportation to get there since both schools had plenty of room when they opened. All the seniors chose to stay with the old coach (conf. championship, Lakota's only trip to playoffs, etc.) and not the new guy who they didn't know, a relatively new head coach (2years) coming in from another district and conference. Larry started with just 35 players and the only upperclassman coming over was a good placekicker and good student who was going to attend a military academy and was probably at West because his favorite math teacher chose West, or something of that sort. Larry did virtually start from scratch and had 7-3 teams by the third and fourth West seasons. At the time of his resignation he is the second longest tenured coach from any GMC school in the history of the GMC.

Last edited by Bob Ashby; 05-29-18 at 11:05 AM. Reason: fix typo
Old 05-29-18, 11:02 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ashby View Post
You are correct. The former Lakota coach, Greg Bailey, could choose which of the two new schools he would like to coach at and he chose Lakota East. All the juniors who had attended the Old Lakota High School the previous year could chose which school the wanted to attend as long as they could find transportation to get there. Virtually all the underclassmen were either from the East attendance zone or could chose East if they provided their own transportation to get there since both schools had plenty of room when they opened. All the seniors chose to stay with the old coach (conf. championship, Lakota's only trip to playoffs, etc.) and not the new guy who they didn't know, a relatively new head coach (2years) coming in from another district and conference. Larry started with just 35 players and the only upperclassman coming over was a good placekicker and good student who was going to attend a military academy and was probably at West because his favorite math teacher chose West, or something of that sort. Larry did virtuall start from scratch and had 7-3 teams by the third and fourth West seasons.
Good stuff, thanks for the info.

Old 05-29-18, 11:12 AM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMantle View Post
Not to be too contrarian here, but didn't all the good and experienced football players choose to go to East in 97, leaving Cox with only a senior or two? That sounds like a "program that was nothing" to me.
As usual, you're more gentlemanly than I am. I'd go ahead and say that Carl is once again spouting off without having the slightest idea WTF he's talking about.
Old 05-29-18, 11:13 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020Dad View Post
Bingo!!!
Not bingo.
Old 05-29-18, 11:25 AM
All District

2020Dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
My guess is they wanted him to hire new assistants with the hope they would run the offense and defense and he could be the HC.
My Bingo is based on this and it is definitely "Bingo". It is my understanding that he was given some guidelines and he was not okay with following them and wanted to do it his way or resign and they allowed him to resign. He is probably a great guy but he gets way too much credit for "putting guys in college" The guys that he gets into college are no brainers. The true testament to a high school coach as it relates to getting guys to play at the next level, is getting guys into college that are not blue chippers (division II, division III and so on). Most of the guys that went division 1 would have gone division 1 even if they had played at Mount Notre Dame
Old 05-29-18, 11:47 AM
All Yappi

Your understanding is still not a bingo.