Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Debate Forum

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-28-18, 10:34 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
This honestly just sounds like you're not very good at the internet.

These are called pay per click ads and are used on every search engine not just Yahoo, Google serves them above the organic results as well(if you're not using an ad blocker) and are fundamental to how internet search has existed for two decades. Quite the discovery you made here
I notice you didn't respond to my post asking you to go to Google and search "articles that support Trump" and see what you get! I mean I find it interesting that I got links to the New York Times, The Guardian and the FREAKING NATION before I got one from the Wall Street Journal or National Review or the Daily Caller. I guess you would argue that the NATION is more credible then the National Review?
Old 08-28-18, 10:36 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
This honestly just sounds like you're not very good at the internet.

These are called pay per click ads and are used on every search engine not just Yahoo, Google serves them above the organic results as well(if you're not using an ad blocker) and are fundamental to how internet search has existed for two decades. Quite the discovery you made here
So come on NEO show us your millennial internet chops. Go to Google and search "articles that support Trump" and see what you get. then you can come back here and troll away! Maybe you can use your internet savvy to refine my search to something clearer & simpler?
Old 08-28-18, 10:37 AM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygoluckky View Post
He wants to be google to surface only positive news....like DRPK or RT. What do you think would come up with Mueller Russia? The deep state conspiracy nonsense you guys read on the fringe/alt right media?
1. Pretty easy to just google "trump is awesome," amirite?

B. Who is "you guys?"
Old 08-28-18, 10:44 AM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Why would anyone search "articles that support Trump"? That sounds like the absolute worst way to find articles that support Trump and something someone who doesn't know how to use google would search for. If you actually do a worthwhile search, for example I just searched "Trump is a good president", you'll see that of the 10 results, half are pro-Trump, and 0 are negative(going by the headline, at least). There was one video of him announcing a trade deal, one result about his accusations towards google over the last 24 hours, and the others were essentially fact lists about his term thus far.
Old 08-28-18, 10:44 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish82 View Post
1. Pretty easy to just google "trump is awesome," amirite?

B. Who is "you guys?"
Actually Fish if you search Google for "Trump is Awesome" you get some pretty interesting page 1 hits! My guess is trump did just that and that's why he's breaking google's balls.
Old 08-28-18, 10:48 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Why would anyone search "articles that support Trump"? That sounds like the absolute worst way to find articles that support Trump and something someone who doesn't know how to use google would search for. If you actually do a worthwhile search, for example I just searched "Trump is a good president". Of the 10 results, half were pro-Trump, and 0 were negative(going by the headline, at least). There was one video of him announcing a trade deal, and the others were essentially fact lists about his term thus far.
How do you think the majority of Americans use Google RM? They search using simple phrases. And if I search "Trump is a good president" I would expect page 1 to be 100% positive not lukewarm with the 3rd hit being from CNN!
Old 08-28-18, 10:49 AM
All Ohio

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
Actually Fish if you search Google for "Trump is Awesome" you get some pretty interesting page 1 hits! My guess is trump did just that and that's why he's breaking google's balls.
Even if you just change the Google wording slightly to 'trump support articles,' you'll probably get the results you're looking for.
Old 08-28-18, 10:52 AM
All Yappi

SWMCinci is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Most under the age of 50 can use it properly. It seems to be a challenge for the older types.
A lot of people over 50 led to the development of the Internet and the concepts of search and web design....
Old 08-28-18, 10:54 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMCinci View Post
A lot of people over 50 led to the development of the Internet and the concepts of search and web design...….
Right, if I meant all I wouldn't have said most.
Old 08-28-18, 10:55 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
How do you think the majority of Americans use Google RM? They search using simple phrases. And if I search "Trump is a good president" I would expect page 1 to be 100% positive not lukewarm with the 3rd hit being from CNN!
I think most people know not to use broad search terms like "articles that support Trump".
Old 08-28-18, 10:56 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballFan1795 View Post
Even if you just change the Google wording slightly to 'trump support articles,' you'll probably get the results you're looking for.
I just did FootballFan1795 and I rest my case. I mean it didn't turn up terrible stuff but at best it was lukewarm or barely related to the topic. For example 2 of the page 1 hits were about Tiger Wood & Trump (Woods not saying bad things about Trump).

To be clear I use Google for all my non-ideological based searches. I do this because for these searches Google is excellent. This is why I am suspicious that a subtle and sometimes not so subtle bias is being introduced in the ideological searches.
Old 08-28-18, 10:58 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I think most people know not to use broad search terms like "articles that support Trump".
Not if you want to get a BROAD sample of articles from across a wide range of media that support Trump. You see searching in this way I would not only expect to see hits from the usual conservative media suspects I would expect to see those few articles in support of Trump put out by the MSM.
Old 08-28-18, 11:01 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Not if you want to get a BROAD sample of articles from across a wide range of media that support Trump. You see searching in this way I would not only expect to see hits from the usual conservative media suspects I would expect to see those few articles in support of Trump put out by the MSM.
I showed you how searching for "articles that support Trump" is a terrible way to search for pro-Trump articles. They're there, you just need to know how to use google properly.
Old 08-28-18, 11:02 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Right, if I meant all I wouldn't have said most.
Says the guy from a generation that doesn't know how to read a book!
Old 08-28-18, 11:04 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I showed you how searching for "articles that support Trump" is a terrible way to search for pro-Trump articles. They're there, you just need to know how to use google properly.
And I just told you that your search results would NOT have met my needs RM.
Old 08-28-18, 11:08 AM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Anyone who knows anything about Google's internal workings cannot in honesty believe they don't tip the scales on certain search topics.
Old 08-28-18, 11:11 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
This is why I am suspicious that a subtle and sometimes not so subtle bias is being introduced in the ideological searches.
Guess Google's at least good for one thing. For my post #8189, I googled 'suspicious reaction gif,' and the one I knew I wanted to use was the first result!
Old 08-28-18, 11:14 AM
All Yappi

To bring this back to the original point of Google bias it's really simple: Yes, if you are careful and thoughtful in how you frame your Google search most (not all) of the bias can be eliminated. I speak here as someone who has learned how to do it. BUT, for most casual searches the Google ideological bias does rear it's ugly head.

Can we all agree that what shows up on page 1 is the most critical stuff? I mean I'll go as deep as page 10 but most people don't do that. Google's biases their ideological searches by what they put on the 1st two pages. Sometimes it's by content where they link to something that should be on page 20. Other times it seems like they have created a hierarchy of site credibility that steers us to those places that google has determined to be of higher credibility.

This last bit is quite clever if you want to hide your bias because Google can claim that the MSM sources are by definition higher quality. So you get a disproportionate number of hits to places like the NYT, CNN, the big 3 networks, NPR, Washington Post, etc. An ideologically neutral search of "articles that support Trump" or any of the variants suggested here would feature page 1 hits from National Review, Breitbart, The Daily Caller, etc. etc. It doesn't matter whether you believe those sites are credible or not there is no doubt they would contain articles that best fit the query.
Old 08-28-18, 11:15 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish82 View Post
While I agree that 95% of articles written about Trump are talking sht about him, all that means is that there's pretty much zero need for Google to "rig" the search results. They're pretty much that way by default.
SEO is a thing

Your point is also valid, don’t get me wrong
Old 08-28-18, 11:17 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Says the guy from a generation that doesn't know how to read a book!
Millennials Are Out-Reading Older Generations

Old 08-28-18, 11:17 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballFan1795 View Post
Guess Google's at least good for one thing. For my post #8189, I googled 'suspicious reaction gif,' and the one I knew I wanted to use was the first result!
Google's fantastic for stuff that doesn't have a strong ideological split. Google would be perfect if they treated ideological topics like they treated their other topics.
Old 08-28-18, 11:24 AM
All Yappi

Quote:

I may need work on my Google search techniques but you sure as hell need work on understanding what you're reading! from your link:

Some 88 percent of Americans younger than 30 said they read a book in the past year compared with 79 percent of those older than 30.

This tells me a couple of things:

* Old farts are more honest about answering this question then millennial's. It's kind of like how many high school aged boys answer the "have you had sex" question honestly?

* The Millennial's are mistaking manga & comic books for "books".

* The Millennial's count reading the jacket the same as reading the book.

* The millenial's count any Twitter or text message longer then 20 words to be a book.
Old 08-28-18, 11:31 AM
All Ohio

Lol
Old 08-28-18, 11:37 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I may need work on my Google search techniques but you sure as hell need work on understanding what you're reading! from your link:

Some 88 percent of Americans younger than 30 said they read a book in the past year compared with 79 percent of those older than 30.

This tells me a couple of things:

* Old farts are more honest about answering this question then millennial's. It's kind of like how many high school aged boys answer the "have you had sex" question honestly?
The fact that you automatically think the millennials are lying and the old people are telling the truth says a lot about you and your obvious biases.

Quote:
* The Millennial's are mistaking manga & comic books for "books".

* The Millennial's count reading the jacket the same as reading the book.

* The millenial's count any Twitter or text message longer then 20 words to be a book.
Wrong again.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/neilhow.../#4c23765d1978

Quote:
These findings are echoed by a recent report from the National Endowment of the Arts (NEA). The study examined the narrower category of “literature,” or novels, plays, short stories, or poems not required by work or school. Last year, 43% of 18- to 34-year-olds read literature, outmatched only by 65- to 74-year-olds (at 49%)
Quote:
An older NEA report found that the share of 18- to 24-year-olds who read literature rose sharply starting in 2002—in other words, when this age group began to be dominated by Millennials.
I'd hang it up for today. Get some rest and give it another go tomorrow.
Old 08-28-18, 12:05 PM
All Yappi

BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No, an intern at Google rigged the algorithm to make sure instapundit doesn't show on the first page of search results and someone needs to do something.
Old 08-28-18, 12:17 PM
All American

domi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I notice you didn't respond to my post asking you to go to Google and search "articles that support Trump" and see what you get! I mean I find it interesting that I got links to the New York Times, The Guardian and the FREAKING NATION before I got one from the Wall Street Journal or National Review or the Daily Caller. I guess you would argue that the NATION is more credible then the National Review?
So when you Google "articles that support Trump" you are more interested in the sources for the articles than the articles themselves?

Perhaps you should start using 4conservative.com as your search engine so you can get the results you WANT in your daily hunt for all things complimentary to Trump.
Old 08-28-18, 12:19 PM
All American

domi is on a distinguished road
This all reminds me of a quote from a Criminal Minds rerun last night.

For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.
Stuart Chase
Old 08-28-18, 12:26 PM
All World

Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Man, rough past couple pages for lord of the rings
Old 08-28-18, 09:08 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by domi View Post
So when you Google "articles that support Trump" you are more interested in the sources for the articles than the articles themselves?

Perhaps you should start using 4conservative.com as your search engine so you can get the results you WANT in your daily hunt for all things complimentary to Trump.
What? I looked at the articles and they were either talking about WHY people support Trump or they were anti-Trump. And sorry but when I ask to see "articles that support Trump" and Google directs me to CNN, the NYT and The Nation I know something is rotten here.

Again I like Google for the non-ideological searches. It seems to me that it would be in their business interest to extend that level of excellence to their ideological searches. If they don't they soon will be regulated like the Drug or Utility industry's.
Old 08-28-18, 09:10 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Man, rough past couple pages for lord of the rings
Says who? You!

And I learned long ago you that don't keep "score" on internet message boards. The reason? One good opinion is worth at least 20 dumb ones.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: