Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Debate Forum

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-18-18, 11:21 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
Again- responded to a question about “what has changed”? This is one piece of the puzzle. There are no definitive answers or else we would have the solutions we desperately need.
Old 05-19-18, 12:21 AM
Cooling Off

Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogealbhain View Post
"Here’s the thing: It’s really not all that comforting to think about, but the reality is that all manner of horrible things are more likely — in many cases, substantially more likely — to befall kids than being shot in school. Car accidents, bike accidents, and drowning are among the preventable causes of death much more likely to claim a child than a shooting in school. Cancer is a far greater killer. Suicide, a silent crisis that is now the second leading cause of death for teens, claims thousands of young lives each year, especially among vulnerable populations such as gay or transgender students.

To give an idea of how rare school shootings are in a country with more than 55 million school-age children, consider that girls are much more likely to be child brides than be shot in school. When did you last worry about that, let alone protest the arcane laws that allow it? The Pew survey, though, found that more than 1 in 4 teen girls are very worried about a shooting at their school (an additional 35 percent said they were somewhat worried)."

https://www.the74million.org/article...ns-in-society/
How many of those accidents kill 10,20 or 30 people at once ?
Old 05-19-18, 12:23 AM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
I agree. Like terrorism, school shootings are way overblown. Both are blatant fearmongering.
Waiting for your answer....
Old 05-19-18, 05:21 AM
All Yappi

SWMCinci is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
USA Today has determined that the weapons used at Santa Fe HS were "less lethal" than in other shootings ...... say what??

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ves/623202002/
Because it doesn't fit the narrative. Shotguns, pistols, and pipe bombs can't kill like an assault-style weapon.
Old 05-19-18, 05:22 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
Japan consumes much more violent video games than we do. Why dont they have this problem?
You might not have noticed, Japanese society is less open and free than American society.
Old 05-19-18, 06:47 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts1960 View Post
Plane crashes often lead to devastating loss of life with hundreds dying in the blink of an eye. Yet flying is much safer then driving your car where the risk of injury or death is much greater. So it doesn't matter that rare mass shootings kill more people then car crashes, what really matters is the frequency of the car crashes.

If you want to reduce fatalities among high school aged kids ban driving not guns.
Old 05-19-18, 07:37 AM
All American

gneiss rocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
explain yourself
By government sponsored shootings there are several categories. One would be done though advanced mind control. Others would be done by knowing participants for a standard false flag operation or simply just willful ignoring the obvious.

Parkland could be just one or a combination. When a kid is so troubled and everyone around him knows it is a matter of time before something happens, yet the system intentionally chooses to ignore the obvious. Over 50 occurrences ignored in that case alone.

Vegas and the cover up is one of the most obvious. We know the official story is completely ridiculous when you look at the evidence. What they are hiding or were attempting who knows?

The things our government is willing to do to its citizens to achieve a certain agenda is truly horrific.
Researching MK ultra and the original documents is a good place to start if you want to know the depths our government will go and the technology it has in place.

This particular shooting seems to be of the non sponsored type at first glance. It could however just be a less sloppy than normal.

Last edited by gneiss rocks; 05-19-18 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-19-18, 07:44 AM
All World

Happygoluckky is on a distinguished road
LOL- G-Rock deep in his conspiracy theories.
- 911 fake
- Moonlanding fake
- Sandy hook staged
- JFK cover up

Maybe the FBI has been taken over by aliens who escaped Area 54 and are using mind control to set up Donald Trump
Old 05-19-18, 07:54 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Not sure I am following these comparisons. Yes icy roads kill more people than drunk drivers. Therefore we make too big a deal about it? Is that it??? I highly doubt you'd feel that way if your loved ones got wiped out by one.

I'm sorry but car accidents, struck by lightning, slipping in the shower etc etc etc is not the same as children or unsuspecting innocent victims getting randomly executed.

I know comment sections and forums including this one are not exactly bastions of rational thought, but really disturbing to see so many, on both sides, rather than honestly debate (and disagree) what actions can be taken, try to deny or minimize what is an escalating national epidemic in progress.
Old 05-19-18, 08:00 AM
All American

gneiss rocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygoluckky View Post
LOL- G-Rock deep in his conspiracy theories.
- 911 fake
- Moonlanding fake
- Sandy hook staged
- JFK cover up

Maybe the FBI has been taken over by aliens who escaped Area 54 and are using mind control to set up Donald Trump
You are being silly. The moon landings were real. The alien structures and such were the cover up.

Things like MK ultra not at all conspiracy theories. Operation Northwoods either, which proves we do plan these things.

I know you will not look it up or do the research, so this is from the history channel back when they actually were doing history. It is something all of us should watch...as to not know such things is dangerous to our republic.
We are much more advanced in mind control these days but this information is still classified so all we have to go on is whistle blowers etc.

Last edited by gneiss rocks; 05-19-18 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-19-18, 08:10 AM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
“We are with you! We’re praying*!”

* as we continue to vote down stricter gun laws and line our pockets with money from the NRA
Oh, by all means we must do something. More security in school? No brainer. Why has that not been done? More money for youth mental health? Again, no brainer. If libs would stop focusing so much attention on gun control something real and effective might really be done. But no. Their real agenda is to ban all privately owned firearms. AR15? yeah the favorite target of their ire. So, ban all "assault rifles", like the old ban, which was nothing but a fig leaf for the libs so that they could say "we did something". Stupid and uneducated people do not know that the "assault weapons ban" did nothing but ban bayonet mounts (how many mass murders were committed with bayonets?) and force more magazine changes with lower capacity magazines.

The bottom line is that the left truly wants to ban all private modern firearm ownership. Semi-automatic firearms (so that is nearly every modern rifle, shotgun and pistol) and one might guess, given this recent event, revolvers and any shotguns, are to be banned. Some Democrats are finally saying just that, that all privately owned firearms must be banned and confiscated.

Certainly these acts of senseless killing are tragedies, how much more so the thousands upon thousands of deaths of our young people over the past 234 years who have died to preserve the rights that our liberal brothers wish to simply throw away in order to just be able to say "we did something" all the while, not saving a single life.

Americans must stand up to these left wing Nazi nuts and preserve the rights that so many of our young people have laid down their lives to pass down to us. Please do not compound the tragedy of so many young people dying by making those death meaningless.
Old 05-19-18, 08:30 AM
All Yappi

Purple, what is preventing Trump and GOP controlled congress from funding and providing security personnel at all schools, retrofitting with secure entrances, windows, and metal detectors, and provide more money for youth mental health? Like you said. No brainer.

I have not seen that have you? Maybe I missed it.
Old 05-19-18, 08:41 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
Purple, what is preventing Trump and GOP controlled congress from funding and providing security personnel at all schools, retrofitting with secure entrances, windows, and metal detectors, and provide more money for youth mental health? Like you said. No brainer.

I have not seen that have you? Maybe I missed it.
Well, mostly because those are state functions, not federal. Education, the police power and healthcare (medical and mental) are, and should be, state issues. The federal government should lead where it can, but the states need to take the actions and adopt the measures that will keep our kids safe at school. Oh, and remember, nothing had been done for the last eight years before Trump, so, what he can do in the next three will be much more than the Dems ever did in this regard. They were simply focused on guns.
Old 05-19-18, 09:11 AM
All Yappi

"Hey don't look at me, that's a states' issue." What a cowardly response. As you said, leaders lead. I understand Congress = gridlock. But Pubs currently have full control. Any type of "gun ban" is obviously off the table. Though Trump did recently suggest openness to stricter background checks and raising the age requirements - until he met with the NRA and promptly backtracked. I am sure there are other measures along the lines of what you are suggesting that could garner support. Arming teachers probably not. But we wont know any of them till we see them. Let's see them.
Old 05-19-18, 09:44 AM
All World

Quote:
"Hey don't look at me, that's a states' issue." What a cowardly response. As you said, leaders lead. I understand Congress = gridlock. But Pubs currently have full control. Any type of "gun ban" is obviously off the table. Though Trump did recently suggest openness to stricter background checks and raising the age requirements - until he met with the NRA and promptly backtracked. I am sure there are other measures along the lines of what you are suggesting that could garner support. Arming teachers probably not. But we wont know any of them till we see them. Let's see them.
Cowardly? Not hardly. I happen to believe in our constitution and our federal form of government and have worn our nation's uniform and sworn to lay down my life in defense of both. What about you? I am also very involved in our state government and do promote those issues that make our state safer for all. What about you?

Cowardly is sitting back and crying about Uncle Sam coming along to solving all of our personal, civic and neighborhood problems. Get off your azz and talk to your state representative and senator. Make it an issue in the gubernatorial race.

I am sorry that you have a contemporary public school knowledge of how our government works (which is no understanding at all). We grown-ups know better.
Old 05-19-18, 11:00 AM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Has there ever been a mass shooting at a Catholic high school? Probably has, but I can't think of one at this moment.
Old 05-19-18, 11:11 AM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Quote:
Waiting for your answer....
Overblown relative to the other hundreds of incidents that kill more more people every single day. The coverage it gets isn't proportional to how big of a problem it actually is.
Old 05-19-18, 11:13 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreword View Post
Godless Millenials
FTFY

We have removed God from our schools.
Old 05-19-18, 11:25 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
simple, breakdown of the family.

I have no yet seen a kid who's shot up a school, or did anything nutty come from a good, two parent, married family who have God in their lives. Guys we can't just keep blaming everything else on these incidents.

We know, just by reports afterwards, that these kids come from either single parent homes, or split homes, or have some mental issues, or get picked on and can't cope with it because they feel trapped and feel they need to lash out.

At some point, we can just put bans on things or try to fix the problem from the outside. The problem can be fixed from the inside. Teachers know, principals know, coaches know who their high risk kids are. They know who they see on a daily basis has a horrible home life, or has no one that cares about them.
With the breakdown of the family, we have also replaced entertainment where the good guy wins and people do the right thing with violence glorified by anti-heroes in music, movies, and video games.
Old 05-19-18, 11:29 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
Has there ever been a mass shooting at a Catholic high school? Probably has, but I can't think of one at this moment.
Well, no. You guys throw out the bad kids and send them back to public school
Old 05-19-18, 12:21 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

So what background check would have prevented, say the last 5 or 6 mass shootings? If your guess is zero you'd win a prize. How many lives would have been saved by an assault weapons ban, if you said zero you'd be eligible for another prize. How many NRA members have been involved in a mass shooting - zero is again the correct answer. How many of the proposed changes to the law over the last 10 years that the NRA opposed would have saved a life? Same answer as before...…. How many lives would have been saved if government officials had acted on people noticing something and saying something BEFORE the tragedy occurred - at least 17 and probably more. So exactly where is the problem? Knee-jerk reactions don't solve the problem, they just infringe on the rights we have.

If you believe that school shootings are the worst problems facing this country, what has been YOUR response to resolve it? Have you volunteered to work as an armed guard at your local school? Have you donated money or time to install bulletproof glass or locks or ??? to help prevent these tragedies? If not, why not? Have you written to your congressperson to request that all discretionary funding be re-directed to school security? Have you written to state and local lawmakers to demand that they use whatever resources they need to address these situations? Have the teachers decided that they are willing to forego raises, step increases, and any other additional spending in order to better protect the students and themselves?

No? Teachers are walking out of class demanding raises and increases in funding for nearly everything BUT security. If teachers don't think it's a problem, is it really?

Did you know the Secret Service knows that a determined person, with no fear of death, would be able to murder the President of the United States if they wanted? That there's virtually no 100% prevention of the potential. We've had people fly into the White House, stroll into the building, take pot shots at it, etc. but if someone were really determined that just about everyone understands that they could probably get through. They do their best to eliminate the possibility, but even they acknowledge that there are gaps.
Old 05-19-18, 12:42 PM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
I guess you get what you pay for. Lol
Old 05-19-18, 01:54 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Overblown relative to the other hundreds of incidents that kill more more people every single day. The coverage it gets isn't proportional to how big of a problem it actually is.
Except this is ONE incident that killed 10 people in minutes. As far as I know every newspaper/local news gives coverage every time there is a teen in a deadly accident.
There have been 10 school shootings since Parkland in February, if you don’t think that is a big problem then clearly you are a 20-something with no kids and no clue.
Old 05-19-18, 02:06 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So the plane crash that kills 200+ people at one time means we should ban planes yeah?
Old 05-19-18, 02:08 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
The day a kid attending a Catholic school would wear a trench coat would likely be his last day at the school. Catholic schools have their reasons for a uniform code.
Old 05-19-18, 02:41 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Except this is ONE incident that killed 10 people in minutes. As far as I know every newspaper/local news gives coverage every time there is a teen in a deadly accident.
There have been 10 school shootings since Parkland in February, if you don’t think that is a big problem then clearly you are a 20-something with no kids and no clue.
It may be a problem but the symptom isn't guns. It's the decay of society.

Lack of discipline, lack of respect for others, lack of empathy due to self gratification...

But hey you can get your Willie cut off and breast implants and change your name from Steve to Eve...we are so lucky to live in this enlightened age.
Old 05-19-18, 03:35 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
So the plane crash that kills 200+ people at one time means we should ban planes yeah?
Who said anything about “ban” something. ?
Old 05-20-18, 07:17 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Who said anything about “ban” something. ?
They always go to that. And decay of society stuff. And laws can be broken stuff. Groundhog day over and over. If the solution does not involve tax cuts to billionaires or banning dark people it's tough to draw interest.
Old 05-20-18, 07:57 AM
All World

queencitybuckeye will become famous soon enough
Quote:
They always go to that. And decay of society stuff. And laws can be broken stuff. Groundhog day over and over. If the solution does not involve tax cuts to billionaires or banning dark people it's tough to draw interest.
The solution to the problem doesn't involve the word guns. When someone proposes real solutions, people will listen.
Old 05-20-18, 07:58 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
In an average year (since 2012), 23 school children are killed in a mass shooting. About 3 per year are killed with an assault weapon. Almost all of the rest are killed by handguns. Even the NYT questions the need for an assault-style weapons ban. More schoolchildren die from knife attacks in a year than in a Parkland style assault.

So what should be done? Let's lay it out there, you need to do something about this, recognizing that there are 120 million gunowners in this nation and about 30% own sporting rifles and that the technology behind the "assault-style" weapons is ubiquitous in about 3/4ths of all the firearms owned in this country. You are also limited by a small detail in the American Constitution that states: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

You can't dance on a definition because it's already been established that "A well regulated Militia" refers to every able bodied and armed man who was not in the Army whose help could be requested in a time of danger.

I've heard why we can't force 10-20 million illegal aliens to go back to their homelands - "they are already here", "we can't break up families", "bans are not what this country is about", etc. Illegal aliens murder nearly 5000 people per year, another 4000 or so are killed accidentally (of course if they weren't in the country illegally the accidental deaths would be prevented) and then there are hundreds of rapes, thousands of assaults...… you get the picture. So what is the TP answer?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: