Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-24-18, 03:38 PM
All Ohio

McClearn7 is on a distinguished road
Wilmington D-2 District Rankings (Off-Season #1)

These initial off-season rankings will have the wrestlers ranked at the weights that they competed at last season. Iíll start moving wrestlers around as the off-season progresses, but for now, everyone is listed at last yearís weight.

The team rankings are also based off of the returning wrestlers and do not yet include the incoming freshmen.
I paired the freshmen with the school that they were listed at on the Yappi thread about middle school state placers. If there was more than one possible school listed, I took a guess.
If there are any freshmen listed at the wrong school, feel free to let me know. Also, if there are any other wrestlers who have transferred, decided not to wrestle next year, or graduated (but I mistakenly left them in the rankings), please let me know.

I love doing these rankings, but as it has been pointed out before, they are just for fun. To any wrestlers who read these and feel that they are ranked too low, you may be right.
I am bound to be wrong on many of the rankings, but fortunately they have absolutely no impact on how anyone will finish at any tournament this season or any other year.

* = unsure about participation or availability

# = A second wrestler from the same school ranked at the same weight. I will add an extra wrestler to the rankings at each weight that contains a #.

106-
1. Chase Huff- Goshen (8th state)
2. Trace Braun- Graham (SQ)
3. Kaleb Ream- (Springfield) Shawnee (SQ)
4. Branson Anway- Graham#
5. Andrew Stachler- Greenville (5th district)
6. Caleb Thomas- Monroe
7. Jordan Zigo- Trotwood-Madison (6th district)
8. Blake Holzschuh- Logan Elm
9. Lucas Jansen- McClain

Incoming Freshman:
Nolan Gessler- Graham (2nd middle school state)

Huff won his first district title last season, beating Braun 5-2 in the finals, and a week later he would again defeat Braun (7-2) in the blood round of the state tournament to guarantee a spot on the podium. Huff also split two bouts with 7th place finisher Michael Petrella at the Schott, winning the first bout 10-6 in OT in the opening round.

113-
1. Tanner Jordan- Graham (1st, 3rd state)
2. Trey Finnearty- Circleville (SQ, 8th state 2017)
3. Josh Dunn- Goshen (SQ)
4. Joey Dima- Valley View (5th district, SQ 2017)
5. Chanston Moll- Westfall (6th district, 6th district 2017)
6. Amir Harris- Trotwood-Madison
7. Christopher Rau- Chaminade-Julienne
8. Jayden Sturgell- Urbana

Incoming Freshman:
Pierce Taylor- McNicholas (1st middle school state)

Jordan climbed to a whole new level last year, placing at Ironman, achieving a national ranking, and winning his first state title to close out the year.
His 4th place finish at Ironman contained a 3-1 win over state champ Oscar Sanchez, an 11-7 win over returning PA state champ Beau Bayless, and a 6-2 victory over returning Florida state champ Ryan Chauvin.
In Columbus, Jordan toughed out a 5-3 overtime win over 2x state finalist Cole McComas in the title match to secure the state crown.

120-
1. Alek Martin- Graham (2nd state)
2. Keegan Kohler- Fairfield U. (SQ)
3. Gaige Reeves- Bellefontaine (5th district)
4. Tyler Harkins- Norwood
5. Justin Mills- Valley View (6th district)
6. Tyler Woods- Franklin
7. Sam Eastes- Wilmington
8. Dylan Hartranft- Logan Elm

Martin posted a big upset in the state semis, knocking off 4x state placer and Navy recruit Matt Cardello 6-5 to reach the state finals as a freshman. He also beat state placers Kyle Petersen (2x), Logan Heil, Landon Hacker, and Antoine Allen last year in his first season of varsity wrestling.

126-
1. Nick Moore- Graham (2nd state)
2. Isaiah Wortham- Chaminade-Julienne (8th state)
3. Jordan Hoselton- Zane Trace (SQ)
4. Sean Conway- Carroll (5th district)
5. Kody Beal- Fairfield U.
6. Mcale Callahan- Miami Trace (6th district)
7. Sam Price- Monroe (5th district 2017, 6th district 2016)
8. Spencer Haman- Monroe*#
9. Gavyn Grim- Urbana

Moore also reached the state finals as a freshman, knocking off a state placer in each of his first 3 bouts. He opened the tournament with a 2-1 win over 2x state placer Joe Wright, followed that up with a pin over 6th place finisher Nolan Ray, and the posted an 8-4 win over 2x state placer Addison Fogle in the semifinals.

132-
1. Wade Monebrake- Eaton (2nd state)
2. Isaiah Stickley- Graham (8th state)
3. Ayyoub Muhammed- Thurgood Marshall (SQ)
4. Quinton Smith- McClain
5. Nathan Welsh- Fairfield Union
6. Alex Brown- Zane Trace
7. Ashton Moody- Unioto
8. Elijah Waters- Batavia

Monebrake was one of the more improved wrestlers in the state last season, navigating an impressive schedule to rack up one quality win after another and eventually reach his first state finals.
He beat state finalist Nick Moore 5-0 at the GMVWA, won a Top Gun title after besting state placers Skyler Lasure and Ed Suber, won the district title at Wilmington, and defeated Suber in the state quarters and then beat 2x state placer Jack Gorman (8-4) in the state semis to reach the title bout.

138-
1. Brayden Ploehs- Ross (SQ 2016)
2. Jacob Mikesell- Greenville (5th district)
3. Peyton Bennett- Logan Elm (6th district)
4. Nicholas Machuca- Chaminade-Julienne
5. Logan Raney- Franklin (6th district 2017)
6. Dalton Matthews- Valley View
7. Jaden Anderson- Indian Hill
8. Cameron Schmidt- Eaton

Ploehs beat state qualifier Ryan Wolf 8-2 for the sectional title at Batavia last year, but fell in close matches to state placer Ben Sherrill (4-2) and state qualifier Jacob Lees (4-1) at the district tournament.
He also posted a 3-1 win over district placer Colton Robins in the semifinals at Eaton earlier in the year.

145-
1. Zach Dunn- Goshen
2. Casey Washburn- New Richmond (5th district)
3. Ezra Lee- Urbana*
4. Steele Boysel- Benjamin Logan
5. Kole Deel- Valley View
6. Sean Beltran- Ross
7. Nick Humphreys- (Springfield) Shawnee
8. Evan Hager- (Springfield) Northwestern

Unfortunately, Dunn defaulted out of the district tournament last year, but heíll get another crack at it in 2019 after compiling an impressive regular season last year.
Dunn pinned Washburn on his way to a title at Batavia last February, and Washburn returns as the highest district placer from this weight-class.

152-
1. Jeffrey Thomas- Graham (3rd state 2017, 2nd 2016)
2. David Frederick- Chaminade-Julienne (SQ)
3. Logan Iams- Ross (5th district)
4. Josh Sawyer- Carroll*
5. DíArtagnan Spitler- Graham#
6. Robbie Frederick- Clinton-Massie
7. Zac Schmidt- Eaton
8. Noah Yoesting- Bellefontaine
9. Jenisus Thompson- Thurgood Marshall

Thomas should return this season after missing a year due to injury. His wins in high school include victories over state placers Jayden Hefner, Jarrett Bischoff, Danny Assaf, David Massey, Matthew Taylor, Ben Sherrill, Logan Heil, Matt Ahser, Chad Craft, Hunter Ryan, Jake Gentry, Eric Bartos, and Lukas Stricker.

160-
1. James Munro- Miami Trace (SQ)
2. Trenton Randall- Carroll
3. Gavin Clark- New Richmond*
4. Phil Waters- McClain
5. Trey Williams- Urbana
6. Austin Monroe- (Springfield) Northwestern
7. Xodus Thompson- Thurgood Marshall
8. Lucas List- Westfall

Munro defeated Waters 13-2 in the semifinals of the Frontier Conference Tournament last season, and he posted wins over Will Steuerwald (13-10), Seth Hodapp (7-4), and Ross Lennon (8-7) at the district tournament to lock up a spot in his first state tournament.

170-
1. John Mark Williams- Indian Hill (7th state)
2. Gage Johnson- Franklin (SQ)
3. Blake Coy- Carroll (SQ)
4. William Mannier- Graham
5. Garret Boyle- Ross
6. Jacob Noble- New Richmond
7. Colton Doyle- Clinton-Massie
8. Noah Clark- Benjamin Logan

Williams was one of the wrestlers that I severely underrated last year, and he surged to new heights throughout the season, claiming his first state medal at the end of the year.
He teched Coy in the district quarters and pinned Johnson in the district semifinals to secure a spot in his first state tournament.
In Columbus, Williams pinned Trent Davis, defeated John Witschi (6-2), and downed David Tuttle (9-6) on his way to a 7th place finish.

182-
1. Hunter Johns- Chaminade-Julienne (4th state)
2. Andrew Shaffer- Graham (7th state)
3. Nathan Snyder- (Springfield) Northwestern (SQ)
4. Garrett Gross- Bellefontaine (6th district)
5. Austin Carroll- Zane Trace (SQ 2017)
6. Will Striet- Monroe
7. Christian Meyers- Valley View
8. Jordan Beyer- Fairfield U.*

Incoming Freshman:
Trevor Stewart- Urbana (2nd middle school state)
Zack Burroughs- Graham (7th middle school state)

Johns was one of the more improved wrestlers in the district last year, grabbing a 4th place finish at the state tournament to end the year, making him the highest returning placer at the weight for next season.
Johns bested state placer Connor Dixon to win a title at Bellbrook earlier in the year, and he would later add sectional and district titles after defeating Shaffer in the finals of both tournaments (10-5 and 6-2).
In Columbus, he overcame a quarterfinal loss to Gabe Phillips, rumbling back with a pin over Sam Eldridge in the blood round, an 11-4 triumph over Ryan Haas in the consolation quarters, and a 13-9 victory over David McCullough in the consolation semis.

195-
1. Bowen McConahay- Logan Elm (SQ)
2. Scott Mulkey- Westfall
3. Timothy Diamond- Unioto
4. James-Trey Pence- Graham
5. Trent Felts- New Richmond
6. David Tyndall- Miami Trace
7. Ethan Taylor- McClain
8. Charlie Lindberg- Indian Hill

McConahay finished a bout shy of placement in Columbus last year, giving 5th place finisher Nick Crawford a tight 3-2 match in the blood round.
A few weeks earlier, he teched Diamond in the sectional finals after pinning Mulkey in the semifinals.

220-
1. Johnny Shafer- Graham (3rd, 7th, 5th state)
2. Ben Davis- Circleville (SQ)
3. Bruno Pattison- Bellefontaine (SQ)
4. Tom Coleman- Ross (5th district)
5. Jamen Hill- Carroll (6th district)
6. Nathaniel Armstrong- Alter
7. Kade Rawlins- McClain
8. Isaac Craft- Urbana

Shafer placed 6th at Ironman last season, where he pinned state placer Seamus OíMalley in the consolation quarters. He would later claim a title at the GMVWA Tournament, beating Kentucky state champ Damoreon Travis 4-2 in OT in the finals after besting state placer Evan Kaeck in the semis.
Shafer added a district title after beating state placer Mikey Addis in the finals, and then he earned his highest state finish to date, placing 3rd after beating Davis (1-0) in the blood round, downing Luke Shively (8-2) in the consolation quarters, defeating Addis (4-2) in the consolation semis, and avenging an earlier loss to Brandon Matlock (6-3) in the consolation finals.

285-
1. Lane Cluff- Hillsboro (SQ)
2. Alex Coleman- Ross (5th district)
3. Seth Bowman- Eaton
4. Noah Dehainaut- Fairfield Union
5. Quientin Brown- Monroe*
6. Colton McNichols- Washington (C.H.)
7. Zadok Isreal- Shroder
8. Matthew Briedis- Indian Hill

Incoming Freshman:
Zach Hagedorn- Monroe (7th middle school state)

Cluff qualified for his second state tournament last season, beating state qualifiers Alex White (2x), Connor Barton, and Andrew Arnold. He also defeated Coleman by default in the district semifinals last year, though I donít know the score of the match at the time of the default.

Teams:
1. Graham
2. Ross
3. Chaminade-Julienne
4. Carroll
5. Goshen
6. Fairfield Union
7. Logan Elm
8. Eaton

Graham will win another district title in 2019. Thatís the easiest prediction Iíll make all year. A more interesting story at this district will be, Who will finish 2nd?
Ross and Chaminade-Julienne return quality squads. The Colemans (Colemen?) return for Ross at 220 and 285 after both wrestlers made impressive improvements last year. Both finished the season as state alternates, and either could potentially make the district finals this season.
I was impressed with Wortham, placing at state for Chaminade-Julienne in a loaded 126 weight-class after knocking off 2x state placer Conor McCrone, who had defeated him earlier in the season.

A special thanks to Boro Fan for all the insight into the weights of the wrestlers, Baumís Page and Jakeís Wrestling for all of the results that they provide, and to any of the other wrestling nerds that actually read these things.

-Max Pearce
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-18, 09:40 AM
All Ohio

speedthatkills is on a distinguished road
I can tell you now that Iams will not be close to 152 next season. Look for him to make another 3-4 weight class jump, same as each of the last 3 seasons.
Old 06-06-18, 03:43 PM
All District

cvwrestle is on a distinguished road
Just 3 or 4... why not go 220 or heavy..
Old 06-06-18, 05:46 PM
Junior Varsity

PenetrationStep is on a distinguished road
This is the worse Graham team I have seen in many years
Old 06-07-18, 10:56 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvwrestle View Post
Just 3 or 4... why not go 220 or heavy..
Lol, if we could get there correctly we would.
Old 06-07-18, 01:38 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedthatkills View Post
Lol, if we could get there correctly we would.
We? Is this this a group effort?
Old 06-07-18, 03:39 PM
All American

darthmalice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenetrationStep View Post
Sound like Venom( Spiderman).

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-18, 08:04 PM
All Ohio

TheStuff142
Quote:
you should see the powerlifting set up THEY have at THEIR house.
Old 06-07-18, 08:55 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStuff142 View Post
you should see the powerlifting set up THEY have at THEIR house.
They may be working out but it is HIM who wrestles, HIM who wins/loses, HIM who makes weight. Stop living through your kids!
Old 06-08-18, 04:14 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
They may be working out but it is HIM who wrestles, HIM who wins/loses, HIM who makes weight. Stop living through your kids!
I disagree. It is a we thing. We do this together. We also have other kids starting to workout with us and we all enjoy it. We make weight as he cuts correctly, not the old Binge and purge method. He does not have the depth of knowledge in this area to do it correctly. It is his discipline that allows it, but everything else is we.

I do not need to live throughj my kids, my athletic achievements speak for themselves.

If you doubt this then perhaps YOU should come join US and stop hiding behind your screen name. I live in Ross and you are always welcome. Just bring your big boy pants.
Old 06-09-18, 11:49 AM
Freshman

Wonder Woman is on a distinguished road
Good news for Ross is there are some hidden gems which will come into their own this year. Proud of the whole team and their off season pursuits. It will pay off. See you at state !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-18, 12:55 PM
Junior Varsity

I can’t think of a single top tier wrestler from Ross
Old 06-09-18, 12:57 PM
Junior Varsity

And why are we talking about a kid that got 5th at districts - let’s wait til this kid actually makes the dance let alone the podium sheesh
Old 06-09-18, 01:42 PM
Freshman

Wonder Woman is on a distinguished road
Lol. Penetration. Seek help or it is going to be Long season for you. Again. See you at state

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-18, 04:18 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
And why are we talking about a kid that got 5th at districts - letís wait til this kid actually makes the dance let alone the podium sheesh
I was providing info on where a kid will be next year. If you donít know elite kids no worries, st v st,
M didnít know either this year. All good

Btw I never claimed elite, just said where he will be. Try to keep up
Old 06-09-18, 05:45 PM
All District

Crab Ride is on a distinguished road
Quote:
And why are we talking about a kid that got 5th at districts - letís wait til this kid actually makes the dance let alone the podium sheesh
Wow dude. Youíre a real loser.
Old 06-10-18, 12:47 AM
All Region

Iroquois is on a distinguished road
I sure hope that Jeffrey Thomas makes it back 100%.