Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-05-18, 01:53 PM
All American

McClearn7 is on a distinguished road
D-1 state tournament retrospective

Now that we’re a few weeks removed from the end of the season. I thought I’d take a look back at each division’s state tournament. I’ll make a few notes, convey a few opinions, and list some of my favorite performances. Please feel free to do the same.

106- Zach Shupp (Fairfield)

It’s cool to see a senior end his high school career with his first state title, especially in a situation like Shupp’s where his tough cut to 106 at the end of the year paid off. The added drama of Shupp earning the winning takedown late in the match only intensified the title bout. I’ve definitely underestimated him in the past, but he’s always peaked for the state tournament, placing 3 times, making two finals, and winning a title. Good luck to him as he continues his career at Central Michigan, and congratulations to Fairfield who earned two other state medals to go along with Shupp’s championship.
Norris deserves a lot of credit for how much he has improved over the course of the year. He took Shupp in OT in the district finals and knocked off Ironman bronze medalist Agin 1-0 in the state quarters. Over the course of the tournament, he beat the wrestlers who finished 3rd, 4th and 5th.

113- Lucas Byrd (LaSalle)

After watching Byrd for the last three years, it felt like only a matter of time before he earned a state championship, though nothing is guaranteed in this sport. He was the best 113 in the state regardless of division this season as his two wins over Shawver and his dual meet win over D-2 champ Tanner Jordan can attest.
I was glad to see Sherman place. He’s been such a grinder over the past few years, winning close bouts and battling back through the consolation rounds at some of the best tournaments in the state. I’m happy to see his efforts validated with a medal.
Perelka was another wrestler I was happy to see end his season with a medal. He made the tough cut to 113 and pinned Sherman for 3rd to end his high school career after losing in OT in his go-to-state match last year.

120- Julian Tagg (Brecksville)

If I was superstitious, I would have felt like I jinxed Fenton, picking him to win a state title after underestimating him during his title runs in the past few years. Alas, this was just an excellent state finals bout between two awesome wrestlers, and one had to come out on top. I credit both wrestlers for staying at the weight rather than jumping to 126.
I’m going to miss following Fenton in high school. He was one of the best gamers that I can remember since I started following high school wrestling. Few others have been able to raise their levels for the Post Season like he was.
I was also impressed by the younger wrestlers at this weight. Tagg won as a sophomore, Allen finished 5th (also a sophomore) after beating Heil in the 5th place final, and the freshman Hacker pinned district champ Micah Dusseau in the 7th place final.

126- Bryce Hepner (St. Edward)

This weight ended up being even wackier that I anticipated, due in large part to the freshman Casey Wiles who posted a win over 2x state placer Gus Sutton, and two wins over returning state finalist Gio DiSabato on his way to a 3rd place finish. Another freshman stud, Norwood lost to DiSabato in his placement bout. I doubt that he’ll ever be kept off of the podium again.
Hepner methodically worked through the bracket, beating state placer Rosselli in the quarters, majoring Wiles in the semis, and knocking of Burnett for a 3rd straight week to earn his first state title.
Only DiSabato graduates from the state placers, so we should see a great deal of depth in theses light/middle weights next season.

132- Gabriel Tagg (Brecksville)

I was surprised to see Tagg at this weight to start the year. I had assumed that he would be wrestling at 120, where I believe he originally registered for Super 32. He was majored by Kazimir early at Ironman, and I wondered if he had bit off more that he could chew at this weight. However, he would battle back though the consolation rounds at Ironman and knock off returning state champ Matt Fields for 7th while finishing ahead of Kazimir.
He lost to Breeding at Brecksville, but seemed to jump levels after that, getting better each week. He avenged the loss to Kazimir and won the rubber match with a pin in the district finals. This came two bouts after he majored Breeding (9-1) to avenge the Brecksville loss.
Tagg overcame a 5-0 deficit to Ward in the quarters and never looked back, beating Kazimir 11-3 in the state finals to claim that elusive state title.
Credit to Kazimir who got over the hump with his quarterfinals win over state champ Fields, and his 3-2 state semifinals win over Breeding to reach the finals.

138- Bryce Andonian (St. Edward)

Andonian’s season mirrored Gabriel Tagg’s in the sense that he gained momentum and jumped levels as the season wore on.
Not too many state finals bouts end with a 14-10 score, especially those with two nationally ranked wrestlers in them. However, Andonian and Baughman ended their seasons with a fireworks display that reminds us of why we love the sport.
I was bummed out that Heard had to default out of the tournament. His presence (at 100%) would have made this weight all the more compelling. Heard finished 3rd at Ironman to start the year where he beat Baughman, and we could have potentially seen a rematch in the state semis if Heard was fully healthy.

145- Victor Voinovich (Brecksville)

This weight-class was about match-ups, and it was the sensational freshman Voinovich who emerged as the champion.
He was 0-3 vs. Dover this year, including the district finals from the previous week. However, Donathan is now 3-0 vs. Dover over the last two seasons, including a win in this year’s state semifinal. North was 0-3 vs. Dover this year, but he beat Donathan in their dual meet. North also bested Voinovich at Ironman, but the freshman won their next 3 match ups, including the state semis. The only match-up that had yet to occur between the top 4 wrestlers was the one that we got in the finals. The freshman Voinovich climbed to the top of the mountain with a win over Fargo All-American Donathan in the state finals.
All of the top 4 wrestlers return next year, so we may run it back again at 152. Watch for how the bracket shakes down.

152- David Carr (Massillon Perry)

David Carr closed out his impressive high school career in fitting fashion, winning his 5th state title (one in Kentucky as an 8th grader) to complete an undefeated season. He’s looked better than ever this season, and I can’t wait to see what he does at the next level. An 18-1 tech over Super 32 placer Farouq Muhammed in the state semis, followed by an 8-3 win over 2x Ironman placer Jake Marsh closed out his exceptional career.
I was happy to see Marsh end his career in the state finals after a pair of impressive seasons that saw him knock off multiple nationally ranked foes. He toughed out a 3-2 win over the excellent freshman Paddy Gallagher to reach the finals for the first time, and Gallagher came back through the consolation rounds to defeat Muhammed for a 3rd straight week for 3rd place.

160- Jaden Mattox (Central Crossing)

Before he begins his collegiate career at Ohio State, Mattox had unfinished business at the state tournament. He won his second state title (4x finalist), avenging an earlier loss to Austin Murphy in the state finals to put an exclamation point on the season.
I was very impressed by the improvements that Murphy made this season. Not only did he pull the upset over Mattox, but he won a district title after defeating Sizemore and Snodgrass at Kettering Fairmont.

170- Carson Kharchla (Olentangy Liberty)

I was as impressed by Kharchilava as anyone in the state not named David Carr, this season. He looked awesome at Ironman and was even more dominant at Brecksville where he pinned 2x state champ Lagoa in lopsided finals bout.
Kharchilava defeated returning state champ Soehnlen in their dual meet and then bested him once again in the state semifinals on his way to his first state title. He’ll be a great acquisition for any college program, assuming that he chooses to wrestle at the next level.
Next year. I expect him to be the biggest title favorite in D-1. No other champ or finalist returns from 152-285 (and only one 3rd place finisher).

182- Victor Marcelli (Massillon Jackson)

Marcelli was another feel good state titlist this season. He struggled with injuries for most of last season but still returned to place at the state tournament. This year he placed 3rd at Ironman, where he pinned Lawson, defeated 2x D-2 state champ Crawford, bested 2x finalist Baughman in the district finals, and closed out the year with a 3-1 win over Lawson to finish atop the podium.
Ohio’s Mr. Football, Joey Baughman finished 3rd, and will play quarterback at Elon at the next level.

195- Jake Thompson (Archbishop Moeller)

I was thoroughly impressed with how good Thompson has gotten in the last few seasons. He jumped from state qualifier to state finalist between his sophomore and junior years, and then he closed out his career with a state title as a senior. Thompson did not have an easy road by any means. He toughed out an overtime win over Breylon Douglas (one of the most improved wrestlers in the state) in the quarters, beat nationally ranked Jared Ball 3-1 in the semis, and then defeated another nationally ranked wrestler in Dakota Howard 9-6 in the finals.
Flo Wrestling still has him ranked below Howard, which I can’t figure out.

220- Antonio McCloud (Elder)

McCloud dominated the field at the state tournament to end his career with state gold. I was happy to seem him end with a title after a tough state tournament last season. He put that past behind him with a pair of pins and a pair of 13-3 wins, the second of which came over Cameron Sauerwein in the finals.
It was cool to see Cochran come back to take 3rd after getting pinned in the first round. I figured that he may be too injured to wrestle well after defaulting at the district tournament and getting pinned in his first state bout. However, he would rally back with 3 pins, a 12-5 win over Bever who had pinned him in the first round, and a 10-3 victory over Seamus O’Malley to close out the tournament.

285- Jordan Earnest (Wadsworth)

I’ve brought it up a number of times, but it still bears repeating. Earnest was the team’s back up 170-pounder two years ago, and now he is a state titlist in a season where his only loss was to Cohlton Schultz in the Ironman semis. Schultz is ranked #2 in the nation, and he was a Greco-Roman world champ this past summer. Earnest only lost 5-3 and actually took Schultz down in the 3rd period.
Heyob was another example of a senior making the most of his final opportunity. He was wrestling well during his junior year before getting hurt, and he reached the state finals this season despite never qualifying for the state tournament previously.
Tyler Connolly will be the highest returning placer at heavyweight next year. He overcame two previous losses to defeat 2x state placer Alec Moore-Nash in the 5th place final. Coincidentally, Connolly also placed 5th at Ironman, 5th at Brecksville, and 5th at Top Gun. He was also a one-point match away from 5th at the SWOWCA Tournament.

Team: St. Edward

Ed’s claimed yet another state title while earning two individual titles (both champs were named Bryce coincidentally). 7 of their 9 state placers will return next year including the two champions. 4 of their wrestlers will be the highest returning placer in their weight, and they also return 2 other state qualifiers who were a bout from placing this year.

Brecksville finished as the runners-up with 8 placers (106-145 and 220), including 3 champions. All 3 champs, 3 other placers and 2 state qualifiers return to their team next season. It looks like we could get a phenomenal team race next year, especially if these teams can add some impact freshmen (which I’m sure they will).

LaSalle had the misfortune of losing E’lan Heard with an injury, but he’ll return next year. With the speculation of the freshmen and transfers that they may get, we could see LaSalle pushing Ed’s for the team title at season’s end. They had 7 placers this season, 6 of whom return next year, plus E’lan Heard and 2017 placer Bledsoe. 3 of their wrestlers are the top returning placer from their weight-class.

Other Notes:

-The southwest had a very good year at the state tournament, and I think that they deserve to be mentioned for all of the excellent performances that they put in. There was so much depth at some of their district’s weight-classes, and that competition prepared their wrestlers for the rigors of state (iron sharpens iron). The Kettering Fairmont District boasted 4 individual champs and 5 other finalists.

-Half of the D-1 state champions (7/14) were seniors this season, including the lightest and heaviest weight-classes.

-I counted 8 freshman state placers with Victor Voinovich being the lone champion.

-Only national #1 David Carr finished the season undefeated in D-1.

-Julian Tagg extended a streak of 15 straight seasons where a northeast wrestler has won the 120 (119) weight-class. 2x state champ Brandon Luce was the last non-northeast wrestler to win the weight. There have been 9 all-northeast finals in that span.
No champ has repeated at the weight (120 or 119) for a second consecutive year. Newhouse beat Mackall in 2015 and Tagg defeated Fenton this season.

-Joe Cochran lost in the opening round and battled all the way back for 3rd. He was the lone D-1 wrestler to accomplish that feat this season.
Cochran was also the highest D-1 placer from all of the wrestlers who finished 4th at their district.

-126 and 138 return the most placers next year with 7 apiece while 195 returns the fewest with 1 (Michael Baker).

-Brecksville had the most individual champions (3), and all three champs lost earlier in the season to wrestlers who they then defeated on their way to a state title. Julian Tagg lost to Fenton (who he beat in the state finals), Voinovich lost to North (who he beat in the semis), and Gabriel Tagg lost to Kazimir (who he beat in the state finals).

-Agin ended the season ranked ahead of Norris in Flo Wrestling’s rankings despite the head to head win by Norris at state. Richard Figueroa, who Agin beat in the consolation finals at Ironman finished as the California state champion. California only has a single division state championship, and Figueroa finishes the year ranked 2nd in the nation by Flo.

-One of Bryce Hepner’s wins at Ironman was an 11-2 victory over Cleveland Belton who was a state champion in California.

-D-1 Nationally ranked wrestlers at season’s end: (Flo Wrestling)

106-
Zach Shupp (6th)
Logan Agin (18th)
Dustin Norris (20th)

113-
Lucas Byrd (9th)
Dyan Shawver (16th)

120-
Julian Tagg (11th)
Brendon Fenton (18th)

132-
Gabriel Tagg (11th)

138-
Bryce Andonian (11th)
Luke Baughman (14th)

145-
Victor Voinovich (11th)
Chris Donathan (13th)
Sam Dover (14th)
Michael North (16th)

152-
David Carr (1st)
Connor Brady (12th)
Jake Marsh (18th)

160-
Jaden Mattox (5th)

170-
Carson Kharchilava (8th)
Emil Soehnlen (9th)

182-
Victor Marcelli (9th)
Trevor Lawson (14th)
Joey Baughman (19th)

195-
Cody Howard (9th)
Jake Thompson (12th)
Jared Ball (13th)

220-
Antonio McCloud (16th)

D-1 Wrestler of the year: David Carr
It’s an easy pick, but it’s hard to go against the only undefeated D-1 wrestler who finished the year ranked 1st in the nation after collecting his 4th Ohio state title.
Carr won everything this year, from Who’s #1, to Ironman, to Beast of the East, to his eventual state title. He also collected a win at the PWC (Dapper Dan) to close out the year.
Carr jumped to a whole new level this season, while posting wins over Joe Lee, Sammy Sasso, Anthony Artalona, and a slew of other excellent opponents.
We were blessed to have him for 4 year in Ohio, and I wish him the best at the next level.

Best finals bout: 138-Bryce Andonian vs. Luke Baughman.
That 3rd period was absolutely awesome, and I have to give both wrestlers credit for putting it on the line as they put on a show for the fans.

Best weight: 132
There are certainly cases to be made for other weights. 145 had the most nationally ranked wrestlers. 126 was a wild weight from the opening round. 182, 120, 160 all had some impressive depth to them. I went with 132 because it returned 7 state placers and returning champ and Ironman place Matt Fields finished 7th at the weight.

Freshman of the year: Victor Voinovich
It’s another easy choice, because he was the lone titlist, but his performance over the course of the year was thoroughly impressive. He finished 2nd at the Beast of the East, won a Brecksville title over 2 nationally ranked wrestlers and then won the state title after beating two more nationally ranked wrestlers in the semis and finals.

Most entertaining wrestler: Bryce Andonian
If you haven’t seen Andonian wrestle yet, I’d highly recommend keeping an eye out for him next season. Few wrestlers are as exciting in terms of their ability to put top wrestlers in precarious positions.

Surprise wrestler of the state tournament: Casey Wiles
I knew the freshman had performed well all season, but I never saw a 3rd place finish coming. He beat a returning state finalist (twice) and a Fargo All-American, during his tournament run.

Surprise Wrestler of the season: Daniel Patten
I had no awareness of this sophomore through most of the season. He caught my eye with a 4th place finish at the Suburban League tournament where he gave state runner-up Luke Baughman a one-point match. Patten followed that with a 3rd place finish at sectionals, a 2nd place finish at the district tournament, and a 6th place finish at state where he earned 2 pins and a 12-3 major.

Congratulations to all of the competitors on another phenomenal high school wrestling season. We’re truly blessed to live in one of the best high school wrestling states in our country. It is theses exceptional young men and women that make it so special.

-Max Pearce

Last edited by McClearn7; 04-06-18 at 12:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-18, 02:43 PM
All Ohio

severs0801 is on a distinguished road
Great read
Old 04-05-18, 05:46 PM
All American

darthmalice is on a distinguished road
Great stuff Max. That LaSalle squad, especially Casey Wiles, had a nice tournament.
Old 04-05-18, 07:03 PM
Freshman

Dar_of_Emur is on a distinguished road
As per 145:
Victor Voinovich-

- beat three straight Ohio D-1 District champions to win the bracket. As per other state champs, two did not have to face a district champ, 6 beat only 1 district champ, 2 beat 2 district champs, and only one other champion had to beat 3 district champs (Julian Tagg)

- beat the wrestlers that finished 2nd, 4th, 7th, and 8th in the state. Thus having to beat FOUR state placers. He did not have the luxury of wrestling a non-placer in any round. As per the other state champs, three of them faced only 2 state-placers. The other champs all faced 3 state placers. Voinovich had to beat 4 state placers to win his bracket.

- The semi-finals at 145 included FOUR guys that were nationally ranked by Flo. Voinovich, Dover, North and Donathan.

- Did all the above as a freshman, and in a middle weight.

Tell my how this does not qualify as OW? Carr may have been more dominant, but no one at the state tournament had a more impressive performance than the freshman from Brecksville.
Old 04-05-18, 07:36 PM
Varsity

CoachMorgan is on a distinguished road
Very good case for Voinovich.
Old 04-05-18, 08:10 PM
All World

Yankeefan33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by McClearn7 View Post
Carr jumped to a whole new level this season, while posting wins over Joe Lee, Sammy Sasso, Anthony Artalona, and a slew of other excellent opponents.
This is just stupid good. Anyone know if Carr is wrestling freestyle this summer?
Old 04-05-18, 08:17 PM
All World

Cthelites is on a distinguished road
Lord Max! The new brakeman! Great stuff as always!!
Old 04-05-18, 08:22 PM
All American

McClearn7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar_of_Emur View Post
As per 145:
Victor Voinovich-

- beat three straight Ohio D-1 District champions to win the bracket. As per other state champs, two did not have to face a district champ, 6 beat only 1 district champ, 2 beat 2 district champs, and only one other champion had to beat 3 district champs (Julian Tagg)

- beat the wrestlers that finished 2nd, 4th, 7th, and 8th in the state. Thus having to beat FOUR state placers. He did not have the luxury of wrestling a non-placer in any round. As per the other state champs, three of them faced only 2 state-placers. The other champs all faced 3 state placers. Voinovich had to beat 4 state placers to win his bracket.

- The semi-finals at 145 included FOUR guys that were nationally ranked by Flo. Voinovich, Dover, North and Donathan.

Tell my how this does not qualify as OW? Carr may have been more dominant, but no one at the state tournament had a more impressive performance than the freshman from Brecksville.
I picked Carr for outstanding wrestler based more off of the cumulative season of results.

You could definitely argue that Voinovich had the best state tournament, and 145 had the most nationally ranked wrestlers at the end of the season (Flo Wrestling)

To play devil's advocate, Carr dominated his way to the finals with a pin and two techs.
He couldn't beat 3 district champs. Being a district champ himself, there would only be one district champ on his side of the bracket, and then he could face another in the state finals.
His semifinal win was an 18-1 tech over Farouq Muhammed who placed 4th at Super 32.
In the finals he controlled Jake Marsh who was also nationally ranked, placing 4th at Ironman after beating Ironman champ Ryan Thomas in their dual.

You could also give it to Thompson who beat 2 nationally ranked wrestlers (I think both were ranked top 10 at the time) on his way to a title, or Julian Tagg or Kharchla who beat state champs on the way to their titles. There were definitely a number of excellent performances in D-1.
Old 04-05-18, 10:31 PM
Freshman

toughontop is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar_of_Emur View Post
As per 145:
Victor Voinovich-

Letís keep what your saying in prospective. That was the best tournament the Red shirt freshman has ever wrestled. (some have told me he is a 2x held back REGARDLESS it was impressive. Now I will get back lash from parents on this forum that are planning on using the Voinavich strategy to get to the top. DONT use the word freshman to make this seem so impressive.
Reality:
1) Voinovich is a great All American kid regardless, that have parents who plan well. He won a nice Brecksville tournament. But by no means does he compare to the 5x State Champ, Whoís #1, Ironman, Beast of the East and #1 ranked wrestler in the country. I love watching young Victor plus heís a good kid. Did you see what Carr did to Super 32 placer Farq Muhammad? (Carr ripped that stud 18-1 in the Semis) and handled 2x Ironman placer in the finals. Carr ripped through the toughest tournaments in the country this year. Car never held back but didnít need to have a dad that was a former Olympian.

2) Max Pearce does an outstanding job of Ranking. His evaluation and perspectives are closer than Iíve seen in years. I donít disagree with much of what he puts out. He sees things that you donít see and I donít know Max more than I know you! Case in point! He points out the fact that Casey Wiles was the Surprise Wrestler of the State tournament Casey Although losing to the eventual state champion, Casey beat A state runner up 2x in that tournament and Casey too had all 4 wins against eventual placers (3 of those wins were against guys that placed last year). This is surprising because Wiles like Norwood and Fields are true Freshman in a tough 126 weight class. This makes Wiles accomplishment was more impressive than the would be junior. Now this doesnít mean Victorís feat wasnít great, itís still impressive regardless of his age.
However, letís keep it in perspective DAVID CARR was by far the Outstanding Wrestler (OW) of the tournament. Max you got it right! Keep up the great work
Old 04-05-18, 10:33 PM
All Ohio

severs0801 is on a distinguished road
D1 is just crazy. Such a great young group coming thru
Old 04-06-18, 07:39 AM
All World

Lambeau Fields will become famous soon enough
Great write up. Can't find anywhere to disagree, so I'll throw in a strong 'second' on two points:

Andonian is really fun to watch. Those middle weights are pretty crowded with returnees. I expect folks to be choosing weight classes around him wherever he settles next year.

McCloud had a great tourney and that was good to see. Sort of Kameron Teacheresque in that he came in with high expectations his Junior year and had a terrible tournament with a quick exit, then redeemed himself with a great senior showing to take the title.
Old 04-06-18, 11:27 AM
All Region

wrestling_fan_ is on a distinguished road
Love the write up & all the information. From where I was, it seems to be pretty accurate. Can't wait for the off-season reports!
Old 04-06-18, 12:00 PM
Freshman

Dar_of_Emur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughontop View Post
Letís keep what your saying in prospective. That was the best tournament the Red shirt freshman has ever wrestled. (some have told me he is a 2x held back REGARDLESS it was impressive. Now I will get back lash from parents on this forum that are planning on using the Voinavich strategy to get to the top. DONT use the word freshman to make this seem so impressive.
Reality:
1) Voinovich is a great All American kid regardless, that have parents who plan well. He won a nice Brecksville tournament. But by no means does he compare to the 5x State Champ, Whoís #1, Ironman, Beast of the East and #1 ranked wrestler in the country. I love watching young Victor plus heís a good kid. Did you see what Carr did to Super 32 placer Farq Muhammad? (Carr ripped that stud 18-1 in the Semis) and handled 2x Ironman placer in the finals. Carr ripped through the toughest tournaments in the country this year. Car never held back but didnít need to have a dad that was a former Olympian.

2) Max Pearce does an outstanding job of Ranking. His evaluation and perspectives are closer than Iíve seen in years. I donít disagree with much of what he puts out. He sees things that you donít see and I donít know Max more than I know you! Case in point! He points out the fact that Casey Wiles was the Surprise Wrestler of the State tournament Casey Although losing to the eventual state champion, Casey beat A state runner up 2x in that tournament and Casey too had all 4 wins against eventual placers (3 of those wins were against guys that placed last year). This is surprising because Wiles like Norwood and Fields are true Freshman in a tough 126 weight class. This makes Wiles accomplishment was more impressive than the would be junior. Now this doesnít mean Victorís feat wasnít great, itís still impressive regardless of his age.
However, letís keep it in perspective DAVID CARR was by far the Outstanding Wrestler (OW) of the tournament. Max you got it right! Keep up the great work
Thanks for the feedback. I think you expressed your opinions well, and in a neutral manner.

Of note, Voinovich is 16, Carr is 19. (I apologize to both if I am incorrect).

Even if Voinovich is a red-shirt freshman, he still beat kids older than him in every round. Its not like he is a "redshirt"freshman beating "true"freshmen" or younger.

Also (and this impresses me the most), he did this at 145, not 106. There has not been a 4x'er in D1 that did not start in one of the lower 2 weights. I though Voinovich and Gallagher had a chance to change this stat. Gallagher fell just a bit short.

Also, 8 out of the current top 10 freshman, on Borofan, are holdbacks. (Again, I apologize to any if I am incorrect with that stat). Its become the norm, not the exception. I wouldnt use this holdback as a negative in an argument for/against any one wrestler. Just my opinion.

IMHO- Voinovich was OW at States due to the facts I posted in the posting above. I think Carr was, by far, the most dominant, in Columbus this year, and is the best wrestler in Ohio this year.
At Ironman, Rocky got "OW" for running a gauntlet and beating three guys ranked above him. Michael Beard was (by far) the most dominant guy at ironman this year.
Seems Ironman and States have different interpretations of "OW".
Old 10-04-18, 09:30 AM
All District

2sportcoach is on a distinguished road
Carr didn't have to overcome the district champs but he was purely dominant. I had seen Muhammed wrestle and he tech him like it was absolutely nothing was just mindblowing. I totally agree with you Max. Again, another fine job!!!