Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-26-17, 11:44 AM
All American

McClearn7 is on a distinguished road
A few wrestling facts and opions

With the off-season in full swing I thought Iíd share a few wrestling facts and opinions that I had come across or pondered at some point.
Please feel free to add your own facts or opinions, though I know it can be dangerous to ask anyone to share their opinions.

Historical tidbits:

- A Graham wrestler has won the D-2 160-pound weight-class for 7 consecutive years.
It would be 9 consecutive years if Brad Wukie hadnít knocked off returning state champ Kyle Ryan in 2010. Ryan was going for his second consecutive title at 160.

-Of the 2004 Ohio state finalists (All 3 divisions), 7 reached the NCCA D-1 finals during their college career, with 5 winning titles.
(Lance Palmer, Dustin Schlatter, Mike Miller, Steve Luke, Mike Pucillo, Dustin Fox, J, Jaggers).

-Kyle Snyder will be going for a 3rd straight national title at heavyweight this coming season.
The previous champ Nick Gwiazdowski was going for his 3rd straight when Snyder beat him in 2016.
Gwiazdowski beat Tony Nelson in 2014 while Nelson was going for his 3rd straight title.
Nelson won his first championship in 2012, knocking off defending national champ Zach Rey.
I doubt the trend continues this season.

-A northeast wrestler has won the D-1 120-pound (previously 119) weight class for the last 14 consecutive years.
The last wrestler outside of the northeast to win was Brandon Luce in 2003.

-In 2005, the top 4 placers at the 215-pound weight class in D-1 were all named Nick.
(Nick Marcellino, Nick Roman, Nick Palmieri, Nick Simon).

-Since I started following wrestling, three wrestlers have finished 2nd at the state tournament as a freshman, sophomore, and junior before winning the state title as a senior. (Steve Blunk, Josh Horne, and Nick Kiussis).
On the same night and at the same weight-class (135) that Blunk won his first title, Horne finished 2nd for a third straight year (2004).

-Kyle Lang finished 4th, then 3rd, then 2nd then 1st at the state tournament. Heís the only wrestler that Iíve known to accomplish that feat.

-In 2005 Jon Jones, the former UFC light-heavyweight champion placed 4th at the senior nationals wrestling tournament.
The wrestlers who finished ahead of him were eventual NCCA champ Mike Pucillo (1st), 2x NCAA champ and Olympic gold medalist Jake Varner (2nd), and NCAA champ Max Askren (3rd).

-As a true freshman in 2006, Dustin Schlatter won an NCAA title for Minnesota.
The next year he entered the NCAA tournament as the top seed.
He was rewarded with a first round match-up against a freshman from Nebraska named Jordan Burroughs.
Schlatter won the bout 3-2.

-When Ohio State won their first team championship in 2015, it was a Michigan wrestler, Max Huntley who locked up the title by not getting pinned by Iowaís Nathan Burak.

Opinions and Observations:

-Former Edinboro All-American Matt King has the best name in the history of wrestling.

-Iím not sure if weíre in the Golden Age of heavyweight college wrestling, or if weíre in the middle of a trend toward more athletic nimble heavyweights. Either way, Iím thankful for wrestlers like Kyle Snyder, Nick Gwiazdowski, Adam Coon, and Mike McMullen who can attack and scramble like lightweights.
2-1 bouts with a pair of escapes and a riding-time point are some of the worst matches to watch.

-I consider Tommy Rowlands to be like The Beatles of heavyweight wrestling. With all the athletic heavyweights now, it may be hard to go back and appreciate Rowlands for as good as he was. Rowlands started his high school career as a 125-pounder during his freshman year before eventually working his way up to 215 as a senior.

-Aaron Pico looks like Shia LaBeouf if he had grown up in combat sports rather than being a nutball actor.

-Iíll always love Northwestern heavyweight Mike McMullen for the part he played in Ohio State winning a share of the Big Ten title in 2015. He had an awesome come-from-behind victory over Iowaís Bobby Telford to guarantee a tie with Iowa.
To all the scores of the Ohio State fans who left after Kyle Snyder lost at 197, You made us look bad as a fan base. Thankfully, there was still enough of a presence to give McMullen a rousing standing ovation after the win.

-Takedowns and reversals should be worth 3 while escapes should be worth 1. Or, if a wrestler gets a takedown, he should get the choice to continue riding or go neutral (without giving up 1) after the first stoppage.

-Sports parents who yell when they donít know the sport are some of the dumbest people out there. I know itís emotional, but please have some tact, especially if you donít know the rules.
I saw one youth parent yelling ďYou canít call that!Ē to the ref after his kid blatantly locked hands on top.

-As much as I dislike the Iowa fan base, I think that they are good for the sport. Itís fun to have a heel to root against, and Iowa always finds a way to instill their psychotic mindset into their wrestlers.
I donít think that wrestlers like Tony Ramos and Thomas Gilman are bad people, but they make it easy to root against them with some of their behaviors.
I remember seeing Minnesotaís Jake Short lying on the mat after getting injured at the Big Ten Tournament when he was wrestling against Iowaís Brandon Sorensen. The Iowa fans, who must have thought that he was faking the injury, started booing him. The injury ended his season.
Mike Evans placed 3rd at the same Big Ten Tournament without scoring a takedown, reversal, or back points. I didnít hear any boos for stalling in his bouts.
Stay classy Iowa City.

Penn State wrestling is the other side of the coin. Itís really hard to root against their wrestlers even though they are a dominant team thatís in the way of Ohio Stateís national title hopes.
They have so many guys that are always looking to score in a variety of different ways.
In contrast to the Iowa grind-down your opponent method, they seem to keep an equally high pace while hitting actual moves rather than just pushing their opponent out of bounds.
All 5 of their returning NCAA champions seem to posses their own distinct styles.
Retherford is so strong and technically sound while being an absolute fiend on top.
Nolf is a gattling gun, firing of one shot after another while coming ups with some of the most creative finishes and hold that I have ever seen (Check out his roll through double leg defense and his behind the back high single hold on Youtube).
Joseph was a tank who out bulled 2x champ Isaiah Martinez in the NCAA finals.
Hall won a title (not without controversy) and has some interesting finishes of his own (check out his dive single).
Bo Nickal might be the most exciting wrestler in the country with his ability to throw and go for the big move even in the biggest matches.

-I love what the Ohio State wrestling team has become under Tom Ryan. Iíll never begrudge sports fans their right to complain about their team, but I feel that most of the criticisms of Ohio State in the past few years have been a product of the high expectations that have been established by their recent success.
Over the last 3 seasons. Ohio State has finished 1st, 3rd, and 2nd at the NCAA Tournament. We have had a team national title, 2 Big Ten titles, a 4x NCAA champ, 2 freestyle world champions, a true freshman NCAA champ, a season with 6 All-Americans, and an Olympic gold medalist, along with a slew of other NCAA champs, All-Americans and team trophies.
We may be chasing a ridiculous front-runner in Penn State, but the Buckeyes keep getting impressive recruits, and they keep exceeding expectations (Who had the Buckeyes winning the Big Ten title and Kollin Moore placing 3rd in the nation last season?)
Itís a great time to be a Buckeye fan.

-Max Pearce
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-17, 12:06 PM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
Thanks. Fun read.
Old 06-26-17, 12:32 PM
All American

darthmalice is on a distinguished road
Indeed, a great time to be a Buckeye. The recruiting is looking good, coach Ryan. Now get David Carr.
Old 06-26-17, 12:52 PM
All World

cruiser_96 is on a distinguished road
tl;dr
Old 06-26-17, 12:52 PM
All World

You had me at Rowlands, BTW.
Old 06-26-17, 01:01 PM
All Region

keato is on a distinguished road
Good stuff!!!
Old 06-26-17, 01:03 PM
All District

coachsimpson is an unknown quantity at this point
Tyler Heminger, Northmor. 3X state runner-up, won it his senior year. First 3 years, lost to eventual 4X state champs (has anybody ever faced That before?)
Old 06-26-17, 02:18 PM
All American

ProV1 is on a distinguished road
Facts were fun and the opinions were spot on. You know your stuff and love the district rankings. Thanks!
Old 06-26-17, 02:44 PM
All Ohio

1$ís 2Ę is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the original post. Very entertaining and a great read !
Old 06-26-17, 02:58 PM
All District

SCORE2WIN is on a distinguished road
I would be willing to put money on Lucas Byrd breaking that 120lb d1 northeast tradition if not next year the year after

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-17, 03:43 PM
All Region

craftAmaniac is on a distinguished road
I'll bet some major $$$ that Graham wins 160 again this year
Old 06-26-17, 04:35 PM
All Region

Blast82.5 is on a distinguished road
Great stuff.

Completely agree with your takes on Iowa and PSU. Forever, it has driven me crazy when people talk about how knowledgeable Iowa fans are ... nothing could be further from the truth. No doubt they are true fans of their team, but yelling about stalling when your own guy is simply pushing straight forward without ever attempting a wrestling technique does not make one a knowledgeable fan.

PSU is the most exciting team to watch, period. Love the way they seem to actually enjoy the sport, in total contrast to the preponderance of competitors in the sport.

OSU definitely one of the best these days, at least when they are at full strength AND conditioned AND engaged. I think most criticisms lately would be that those criteria don't consistently describe their matches ... as they almost always do for PSU.

Totally agree that some of the HVYs are a breath of fresh air for that class, and for the sport. So much better than watching the 1-1 (then tripple OT) snoozefests!

Dumb fans opinion: Hollaring about someone being pinned when viewing from 100 feet away in elevated seating. I suspect the ref has a better perspective.
Old 06-26-17, 04:45 PM
All Ohio

chinwhip is on a distinguished road
Great read, thanks
Old 06-26-17, 04:50 PM
All Region

Eagle112 is on a distinguished road
I know of another that placed 4th, 3rd, 2nd and 1st like Lang. Christian Clary D3: 4,3,2,1 2011,12,13,14.
Old 06-26-17, 07:02 PM
Varsity

Bear73 is on a distinguished road
Great observations! But I still have a hard time rooting for Iowa or Penn St.
Old 06-26-17, 07:24 PM
Junior Varsity

Pavlovsdog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftAmaniac View Post
I'll bet some major $$$ that Graham wins 160 again this year
Keevon Freeman will be going for his third State title. He will be at 160.
Old 06-26-17, 08:20 PM
All American

darthmalice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlovsdog View Post
Keevon Freeman will be going for his third State title. He will be at 160.
So will it be Jordan vs. Freeman?
Old 06-26-17, 08:55 PM
Varsity

Gonzaga45377 is on a distinguished road
Thomas 60
Jordan. 70
Old 06-26-17, 09:50 PM
All Region

craftAmaniac is on a distinguished road
I got Graham at 160 and 170 next year regardless of where Jordan or Thomas go
Old 06-26-17, 10:19 PM
All World

bdhof will become famous soon enough
Great stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-17, 06:42 AM
All American

McClearn7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachsimpson View Post
Tyler Heminger, Northmor. 3X state runner-up, won it his senior year. First 3 years, lost to eventual 4X state champs (has anybody ever faced That before?)
Good call. I completely missed Heminger. He was a lot of fun to watch. Almost stuck Tessari as a freshman.
Old 06-27-17, 11:53 AM
All Ohio

Huge is on a distinguished road
Great post. Can we hope for a weekly feature? Maybe Intermat will hire you to replace Foley. Imagine an entire article without any rants about singlets or politics? Thank you.

I'll even suggest a topic. Most successful Ohio wrestlers at the D3 level over the past 20 years or so...
Old 06-27-17, 12:16 PM
Junior Varsity

sportjunkie is on a distinguished road
Justin "Harry" Lester
Old 06-27-17, 03:25 PM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge View Post
Great post. Can we hope for a weekly feature? Maybe Intermat will hire you to replace Foley. Imagine an entire article without any rants about singlets or politics? Thank you.

I'll even suggest a topic. Most successful Ohio wrestlers at the D3 level over the past 20 years or so...
Probably Logan Steiber? Maybe Lester as well..at least I think CVCA was D3 at the time he was in school.
Old 06-27-17, 03:31 PM
All Region

Blast82.5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge View Post
Do you mean OHSAA D3 guys, or guys who went on to wrestle at D3 colleges?

As already noted, Logan S. and Harry Lester would have to top the list for HS D3 guys ...
Old 06-27-17, 03:38 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast82.5 View Post
Do you mean OHSAA D3 guys, or guys who went on to wrestle at D3 colleges?

As already noted, Logan S. and Harry Lester would have to top the list for HS D3 guys ...
J Jaggers too?????
Old 06-27-17, 07:59 PM
All District

Dr. Creep is on a distinguished road
Regarding Iowa vs Penn St., Dan Gable was being interviewed at the NCAA tournament this year. He was asked about the Penn State "style" and how the wrestlers talk about having fun. Gable just looked really confused and said he wouldn't describe high level college wrestling as having fun. I don't think he can even conceive that style of coaching and mindset.
Old 06-27-17, 08:23 PM
All District

jujutsuguy219 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Creep View Post
Regarding Iowa vs Penn St., Dan Gable was being interviewed at the NCAA tournament this year. He was asked about the Penn State "style" and how the wrestlers talk about having fun. Gable just looked really confused and said he wouldn't describe high level college wrestling as having fun. I don't think he can even conceive that style of coaching and mindset.
Maybe not, but you cannot argue that he had great success doing it his way!
Old 06-27-17, 10:02 PM
All World

Yankeefan33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast82.5 View Post
Totally agree that some of the HVYs are a breath of fresh air for that class, and for the sport. So much better than watching the 1-1 (then tripple OT) snoozefests!
Gable Steveson... I get unreasonably excited thinking about him wrestling at the senior level after this year.
Old 06-30-17, 10:50 AM
All Ohio

Donkability is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportjunkie View Post
Justin "Harry" Lester
some one please post a short clip of harry's rethrow! neatest thing ive ever seen at ohio's state tourny.

harry would walk into a throw land on his feet and rethrow for five. every time! was sick and slick! been looking for this clip for years anyone have one?