Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-18-18, 01:46 PM
Junior Varsity

theterribletowel is on a distinguished road
Must see stadiums/games 2018

For the first time in many years I will not have a family member participating in high school football. Would like to get out and see some big games and stadiums I previously was unable to. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-18, 01:56 PM
All Ohio

chito is on a distinguished road
If you've never been to Massillon-McKinley put that on your list. It's a must see atmosphere for a HS fan.
Old 03-18-18, 02:32 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Is it numbers or iudogs that goes to all those games? He'll chime in.

And it's not always about the game or rivalry. Steubenville was of course everything advertised but I really enjoyed Lowelville. Both unique, both a bit of a haul from Allen County. Lowelville is a small town set into the hills along a railroad trach with GREAT concessions.

Bigger schools in NW Ohio, I think I'd go with Fremont-Sandusky at Fremont. One of the longest rivalries in Ohio. Sandusky Stadium stands sit about a mile from the field (though next to Baroni's restaurant, yum). But Fremont's is in the neighborhood, close to the field and from the visitor's side has one of the best sunsets I've seen at game time. I'd pick a game around Halloween.
Old 03-18-18, 02:53 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
and the best place for a play-off game I've been to? Mansfield Senior, no other place close. Old school. Close to the field. Nice modern video board, good concessions, close parking,.. A LITTLE dark under the stands, last I went but hey, if there's no risk of a mugging it's just not all it can be now is it?

And one I put on my list, not been but saw a photo last play-offs. Sidney? Sydney? Sidnee? No track, in the neighborhood... Haven't heard about atmospher though.
Old 03-18-18, 02:55 PM
All American

C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
If you’re ever around the Cleveland area, I would recommend checking out a Euclid game at their new stadium which is a horseshoe stadium. You’re literally right on top of the field. Just opened in November for a playoff game. They play Ignatius week 3 I believe and Glenville week 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-18, 03:00 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Town216 View Post
If you’re ever around the Cleveland area, I would recommend checking out a Euclid game at their new stadium which is a horseshoe stadium. You’re literally right on top of the field. Just opened in November for a playoff game. They play Ignatius week 3 I believe and Glenville week 1.

Sounds interesting. Link to photo?

Always find plenty to do in Cleveland. Plenty of local places to eat even on that side of town.
Old 03-18-18, 03:31 PM
All World

serpico will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
And one I put on my list, not been but saw a photo last play-offs. Sidney? Sydney? Sidnee? No track, in the neighborhood... Haven't heard about atmospher though.
I don’t quite understand how a stadium can have “atmosphere”. If you are close to the field (no track) and have sufficient seating, the game and the fans are 100% in control of the atmosphere.

Sidney is great, but I’ve seen some clunker playoff games there where the “atmosphere” was terrible. It had nothing to do with anything about the stadium.
Old 03-18-18, 04:12 PM
All Ohio

bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
My favorite stadium ever to see an Ohio HS game was when they played the Cleveland Holy War (St. Edward vs St. Ignatius) at First Energy Stadium (2016). Putting that aside, cause that's a once in a blue moon thing. This year that game is at Byers field in Parma which is also a really nice venue to see a great rivalry game like that. My favorite stadium that I've seen many HS playoff games in as well as The Akron Holy War (St. Vincent St Mary vs Archbishop Hoban) is at Akron's Infocision Stadium. Awesome facility for a big game.
Old 03-18-18, 04:30 PM
All American

4cards will become famous soon enough
...East Youngstown and I are going to make a roadie to western Ohio and take in a MAC game one of these years (Coldwater vs ????). It would be nice to win one of those giant 50/50's they seem to get every week.
Old 03-18-18, 04:38 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:

And it's not always about the game or rivalry. Steubenville was of course everything advertised but I really enjoyed Lowelville. Both unique, both a bit of a haul from Allen County. Lowelville is a small town set into the hills along a railroad trach with GREAT concessions.

Bigger schools in NW Ohio, I think I'd go with Fremont-Sandusky at Fremont. One of the longest rivalries in Ohio. Sandusky Stadium stands sit about a mile from the field (though next to Baroni's restaurant, yum). But Fremont's is in the neighborhood, close to the field and from the visitor's side has one of the best sunsets I've seen at game time. I'd pick a game around Halloween.
You're thinking of Sykotyk (he catches many out-of-state games, too) and Licking County Fan.
Old 03-18-18, 05:36 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:

Cool that you liked Lowellville. It is an interesting location. Odd hodge-podge of stands on the home side two with the three different sections. It's a good small school stadium for having a track around it.

Quote:

Always find plenty to do in Cleveland. Plenty of local places to eat even on that side of town.
It's definitely on my list in the future. Saw a game at Euclid's old stadium.

Another good stadium is Shaker Heights. Saturday afternoon only games, but it's a great location, venue, built into the side of the high school. The view from the stands is picturesque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
I don’t quite understand how a stadium can have “atmosphere”. If you are close to the field (no track) and have sufficient seating, the game and the fans are 100% in control of the atmosphere.

Sidney is great, but I’ve seen some clunker playoff games there where the “atmosphere” was terrible. It had nothing to do with anything about the stadium.

A lot of the 'atmosphere' is proximity to the field, pitch of the stands, sound system/lighting, scoreboard. If it's hard to see the score or pertinent info, the stands are low to the ground, far from the field, bad lighting, hard to see yard numbers, it does depress the crowd a bit.

OP, if you're in the northeast corner of the state, try these:

Chagrin Falls - Old fairground grandstand style with roof. It's also angled to the field slightly (i.e., not completely parallel).

Boardman - Great new stadium, and against Canfield was a great night.

Lisbon (David Anderson) - The blue/white fence and one-side of the field stands. Also, it sits high up so great view of the field.

Sebring McKinley - Yeah, the team is horrible. But, their old concrete stadium is a great throwback venue to a different time. Shame the team couldn't be better. Might not be around much longer if numbers remain a problem for the team. Had to go see them last year hosting Lowellville just because they might not be hosting games much longer.

East Cleveland Shaw - Shaw Stadium is a venerable old stadium that unfortunately lacks for crowds today. This colossus of high school football is one of few to lay claim to hosting NFL games, back when the old Cleveland Rams called it home for the 1938 season.

Caldwell - Down in the south off I-77, but this stadium is the Noble County Fairgrounds and the field is laid out on the infield of the main grandstand. If you go during the Noble County Fair, the game is part of the admission to the fair ($5) and having a football game AND getting all the unhealthy, yet surprisingly good, fair food and just walking into the stands with it is different.

Steubenville - For obvious reasons, this stadium is big, surrounds the field almost completely. The fans are usually very into the game, even a one-sided matchup. The fire-breathing Man'o'War on the scoreboard, etc.

Wherever you are, if you're close to PA, there's some unusual ones not far from the Ohio line:

(apologies for the poor quality. Old camera and a torrential downpour don't mix well)
Aliquippa - Aschman Stadium, aka The Pit. Old stadium down in a gully next to the high school. You walk downhill to get to the top of the stadium. Old wooden bleachers. Mascot rides a horse and throws a flaming spear into the grass field to start the game. A game against Beaver Falls, Beaver, Quaker Valley, etc would be a good one to see there.

Sharon - Though the crowds today are a lot smaller than when it was built, Sharon Tiger Stadium, a WPA project, has a unique design as the concrete home stands wrap around to both endzones before abruptly stopping. Visiting stands sit INSIDE the track, putting them really close to the field. The parking there is abysmal, as it was built in a day before parking was a real thing. Everybody walked back then or rode trolleys. Home crowd barely fills half the stadium.

Ambridge - The town of Ambridge was named after the American Bridge Co., and the Ambridge High School's Bridgers play at one of the more unique stadiums western Pennsylvania. Located on the other side of the river just down from Aliquippa, Moe Rubenstein Stadium, of course, includes a bridge. Connecting the school to the top of the home stands and the parking lot level with the top row behind it. The home side is completely new, while the visitor stands are still the old original concrete structure. Parking plagues this place though, as there's very little actually at the stadium. The rest s street parking, essentially. Arrive early. They used to host Homecoming games on Saturday afternoon, but stopped that a few years ago.

Burgettstown - This one might not be that well known, and the team isn't usually that good (had a great 2017 season, though). But Hill Memorial Stadium is a modernized old stadium. Though you may think being built into the side of a hill with a highway running right above it (which also creates the odd angled stands opposite the main entrance), it's actually named for Edwin "Dutch" Hill, who played for Burgettstown from 1917-1921.... and, oh, also happened to play for Massillon High School in 1922. (citation)

If you don't mind a bit of a drive, one of the best high school stadiums I've ever visited was Bristol Municipal Stadium in Bristol, Tennessee. Also known as the Stone Castle, it's constructed with local stone built into walls surrounding the field, complete with turrets, lookout perches and spikes and spires.

The entire field is surrounded, and just recently switched from grass to turf. Also, redid the home side seating from original stone to metal. Visitor side remains the same.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sykoty...57662519799610

That's the link for all pics taken at the stadium. Here's a few notable ones:

Visiting 50 yard line

Visiting North Endzone, entrance

Step leading from south endzone exterior to home side entrance

Home side 50 yard line entrance and press box (tickets sold at table further down field)

Visiting side full of Dobyns-Bennett fans

Anybody wants to check out more, link to all my pics (2017 not up yet) is: http://www.flickr.com/sykotyk/sets/
Old 03-18-18, 05:36 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
You're thinking of Sykotyk (he catches many out-of-state games, too) and Licking County Fan.
Right before I posted, too.

To continue, (since the last thread cut-off additional pictures), Shaker Height's Russell H. Rupp Field was home to my favorite picture I've ever taken at a HS game:

The great thing about this stadium is that by being built into the side of the high school, the top row includes a large concourse with these arched portals to look out over the field. In the heat of an early season sun for day games, many fans flocked to the top to seek refuge.

Sheffield (PA) - Wolverine Mountain

As far as I've ever known, this is the name of this place. Located on US6 up in the mountains of north central PA, it's located on the hillside behind the high school. What's remarkable about this picture, is the two-story middle school/high school is just beyond the far sideline. But only a small bit of the roof is visible. That's how steep it is to get here. I never counted the steps, but it's not an easy walk. The 'long way' is preferred, as you walk up the curved road for the ADA guests to park along the east endzone to watch the game.

Pittsburgh Public Schools (PA) - Cupples Stadium

This stadium lacks for crowds and atmosphere. But the views are great. The home side faces the impressive Mt. Oliver neighborhood of Pittsburgh off East Carson Street. Visitor side faces downtown and a great view of Liberty Bridge that dominates the field of view. Home side gets the decoupage mix of houses and trees the whole way up the hillside from crisscrossing alleys and streets.

Wheeling Island Stadium, Wheeling, WV

Taken at the WVSSAC 3A title game featuring the home team, Wheeling Park, the homeside was packed to standing room along the outer wall. Barge going by just made the shot.

Hickory (PA), Hermitage, PA - Hornet Stadium

Just east of the previously mentioned Sharon is their chief rival, Hickory. Also, a big rival of Greenville, who visited them for this photo. The setting sun from the eastern visiting stands made for a photo.

Greenville (PA) - Snyder-Stone Stadium (formerly Stewart Field)

This time Greenville hosting Hickory set the tone as the sky turned a peculiar shade of purple during twilight. A thunderstorm was rolling by but far enough to not interfere with the game. (Stadium was named for the Stewart Family who had donated the land for the stadium and then also the high school built next to it. The stadium was named for the two long-time coaches, Ed Snyder and Bob Stone).

Mollenkopf Stadium, Warren, OH

Warren JFK game with a small crowd from the visiting stands. Three guys standing up in the top row on the home side watching the game made for an interesting backdrop for the setting sun.

MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ

First ever game I attended in New Jersey and with the damp air from a passing rain mixed with the incoming fog made this experience about as New Jersey as possible. The blue glow of the lights just added to the moment.

Ryan Field, Grass Range, Montana

This is probably the oddest, most interesting place I've ever watched a high school football game. The small dot in eastern Montana, home to 6-man Grass Range/Winnett Rangers. They hosted Rosebud. Both teams were 0-7, playing the last game of the season. It was 'senior day' at Grass Range. 'senior' being extremely appropriate. The team had 9 players. Only ONE was a senior. It consisted of him standing before the 60 or so home fans explaining what he planned to do next year after he graduated (he planned to become a diesel mechanic). The team had no juniors. And most of the kids were freshmen. Rosebud's roster wasn't much better.

Interestingly enough, this game was being aired for local public access television. A single camera operator stood on the sideline filming the game.

The stands weren't in use, mostly, as the fans just stood along the sidelines beyond a rope slung between a series of metal posts driven into the ground. This meant fans moved up and down the field as the line-of-scrimmage moved. Concessions were in the high school cafeteria, and featured Maple Sticks, that even to this day I remember were amazing.

Home team won. An amazing 39-36 victory. They rushed the field as if they won a state title. I found out that the following year they dropped down to just playing JV due to having no seniors and only a couple juniors. Though, they are back up to varsity again.

But, through the entire game, that one photo just stands out to me. If you've ever been to eastern Montana, you know how apt it is to be called "Big Sky Country". And Grass Range just proved it.

Last edited by Sykotyk; 03-18-18 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-18-18, 05:43 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest

https://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/t...me-treatment#1
Old 03-18-18, 07:02 PM
All Region

Salesman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
and the best place for a play-off game I've been to? Mansfield Senior, no other place close. Old school. Close to the field. Nice modern video board, good concessions, close parking,.. A LITTLE dark under the stands, last I went but hey, if there's no risk of a mugging it's just not all it can be now is it?
Agree. Love the old-style stadium at Senior. If you are into college games at all, there in nothing like a night game on a fall evening at the Glass Bowl in Toledo. We make the trip 1-2 times a year just for the atmosphere.
Old 03-18-18, 07:38 PM
All Ohio

Wildcats1886
Awesome photos in this thread. Thanks for sharing, Sykotyk.
Old 03-18-18, 07:43 PM
All American

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cards View Post
...East Youngstown and I are going to make a roadie to western Ohio and take in a MAC game one of these years (Coldwater vs ????). It would be nice to win one of those giant 50/50's they seem to get every week.
Week 2: Clinton - Massie vs Coldwater at Cavalier Stadium
Week 10: Marion Local vs Coldwater at same location.

Those are probably going to be the biggest 50/50's I imagine especially the Marion game.
Old 03-18-18, 08:02 PM
All Yappi

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Troy vs Piqua. There are 3 great stadiums along the 1-75 corridor. All within about 20 miles. Troy,Piqua, and Sidney.
Old 03-18-18, 09:01 PM
All American

Quote:

Here you go. When taken it was 90% finished. Masonry is just about done and awaiting video board installation and new walkway bridge linking the press box to the high school.

Old 03-18-18, 09:04 PM
All Yappi

^^^
Looks like a fun place to see a game.

Since the faux Mollenkopf stadium was included, I might as well include the real one. Set in a ravine runs through the neighborhood, there are nice views at night when the Sacred Heart Church across the way is lit up, early Fall planes towing signs, sounds of firecrackers in the air. I think they're firecrackers.

Old 03-18-18, 09:12 PM
All American

Also another that I got to see when VASJ went down to Portsmouth to play Portsmouth Norte Dame was Spartan Municipal Stadium. Home of the Portsmouth Spartans that are now the Detroit Lions. It was really cool place to be at with Kentucky literally lurking behind the South Endzone.

Old 03-19-18, 04:16 AM
All World

tom 48 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
My favorite stadium ever to see an Ohio HS game was when they played the Cleveland Holy War (St. Edward vs St. Ignatius) at First Energy Stadium (2016). Putting that aside, cause that's a once in a blue moon thing. This year that game is at Byers field in Parma which is also a really nice venue to see a great rivalry game like that. My favorite stadium that I've seen many HS playoff games in as well as The Akron Holy War (St. Vincent St Mary vs Archbishop Hoban) is at Akron's Infocision Stadium. Awesome facility for a big game.
This year's location is TBA.
Old 03-19-18, 07:03 AM
Scatologist

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
North Olmsted HS
Old 03-19-18, 11:57 AM
All World

Spartan0505 is on a distinguished road
Awesome pics in this thread!
Old 03-19-18, 03:57 PM
All World

I felt like going through my collection a bit more for photos of Sheffield, but will post a few other stadiums as well.

First off, I love Sheffield. The mountain areas in north Central PA is where I spent a lot of my childhood. Several family members still live up around the Youngsville-Warren area. So, seeing games at Sheffield on a Saturday afternoon just feels different.

First, you're literally on top of Wolverine Mountain. Not sure if that's its official name, but that's what the mountain the school is built on is called by the school. So, the field is aptly name. It also has one of the most underrated views.

The first photo I posted before shows the view, but the stadium itself is quite unique.

From above, it doesn't look that impressive. Until you notice that lone line leading up from behind the school to the south sideline.

We Believe we will make it to the top of the steps alive.

It's steep. Most people go around the slower, but longer, slope to the east or west. ADA parking is available in the east endzone, where most just sit in their cars along the fence line (Conotton Valley has a similar setup). It's a new stadium with ADA capabilities, but the parking situation means a lot will just stay in their heated or cooled cars.

And all the ticket booths are located at the bottom of the hill, too.

The actual stadium itself is small, but the modern-built press box and concession stand match the surroundings with the natural wood exterior and green roofs.

Note, the two-story school that's right beyond that sideline is barely visible.

Stand up in the top row and you can see the school without the visiting players blocking the view.

From the east endzone looking back at the stadium and concession stand/restroom complex.

Late Summer

Fall

Never saw a game there while the leaves were at their peak color. Maybe will some day.

Finding those brought me to a few others.

Carter Field, Titusville, PA

This is the home field of John Heisman when he played high school football. It's still the original field. A block wall was built around it, but over time they've had to do some expansions, and now you actually walk outside the wall to get from the home to visitor side.

It's not much to look at when you view the 'home' side shown above. The warehouse built directly behind it takes a way a bit of the nostalgia. Also, the bathrooms and concessions are located in opposing corners of the endzone.

What makes this stadium awesome and unique is the north endzone:

This is the student and band section, and also many home fans who just enjoy a covered seat for the bad weather. For the game I attended, it was a beautiful night so a lot stayed in the regular sideline seats.

The other concession stand is located up to the right by the road that runs right behind the top of the stand.

It's also odd in that, if you notice, the incredible slope in the left corner of the endzone. As seen here:

To leave the stands, you literally have to walk on the grass right behind the endline. That's how cramped it is. That rock wall along the other endzone prevents the field from being moved away any further.

The slope is to keep players from ramming into a small concrete wall in the endline. I've heard they're going to get field turf, and I'm very curious how they plan to do it. They can't raise the field level with that, and they can't really lower that slope.

Also, I just like this one:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sheffield-aerial-view.jpg
Views:	1183
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	2195  
Old 03-19-18, 04:08 PM
All World

Next up, for unusual stadiums, is the baseball-football hybrid.

A long time ago, this was common in professional football. But, some high schools play on a baseball field.

Bradner Stadium, Olean, NY

What also makes them unique, is that many of their home games are on Saturday nights.

You enter through that passageway under the road behind the first base side. The tickets and programs are sold under the highway. A large park with adjoined parking lot is on the other side which provides quite a bit for the stadium.

You exit right there at ground level. There's the long curve behind home plate and the third base side. And the cramped first base stands between the dugout and the highway.

The pressbox is built on stilts above the home fans. The stadium is only a few rows high. But runs nearly the length of the field. The curve around the endzone and third base side has much more room.

There's a lot of obstructed views, obviously. Between the netting poles, the pressbox supports, and other posts.

Again.

But, seeing a game on a dirt infield (even the base cutouts) is something unique.

And if you're cheap, just go buy a drink and a hot dog at Country Fair and stand in the parking lot overlooking the bleachers to watch the game.
Old 03-19-18, 04:21 PM
All World

To go along with Bradner Stadium in Olean, NY (home of Olean HS) is Point Stadium in Johnstown, PA. A minor-league baseball stadium at one time (home of the Johnstown Johnnies of the Frontier League), the stadium now mostly hosts collegiate and high school baseball.

And for a brief time, Bishop McCort played their home football games there.

Left Outfield, now the student section and right endzone seats.

Looking down at the right endzone from the entrance.

Down the first base line/sideline seats

Left endzone and visiting student seats:

The visiting team had a great second inning.

Outside the left field wall

Some genius runs a car dealership across the street from the outfield wall of a baseball stadium.

Speaking of weird endzones from the earlier Carter Field photos, here's Freedom (PA)'s Freedom Bulldog Stadium.

Not really sure how that's legal. Undersized track in a very tight plot of land behind the school. Not much you can do about it with terrain. But, those endzones will probably never see a fade route.
Old 03-19-18, 06:38 PM
All Yappi

LICKING COUNTY FAN is on a distinguished road
I have all of my pics from football seasons the last few years on my facebook page.Its the easiest way to putt hem in one place.

https://www.facebook.com/DavidLewisB.../photos_albums
Old 03-19-18, 06:40 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
I just wanted to respond to all the great pics you've posted. You find the coolest places to watch games! Out of everything you've posted so far, I must say I love the pic from the grass ranges of Montana the best.
Old 03-19-18, 06:46 PM
All District

usfldan is on a distinguished road
Pikeville High School in Kentucky is another baseball/football hybrid field. There the football field is the outfield.

Spartan Stadium in Portsmouth (previously mentioned) was home to one of the first night games in NFL history: http://sciotohistorical.org/items/show/112

Another oddity is just across the river from Cincinnati in Northern Kentucky where Newport's Newport Stadium and Bellevue's Gilligan Stadium are practically separated by just the I-471 highway overpass. Google lists them as being 0.7 miles apart, but that is going out around and back over. I've always wondered how close they really are.
Old 03-19-18, 09:09 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by usfldan View Post
Pikeville High School in Kentucky is another baseball/football hybrid field. There the football field is the outfield.

Spartan Stadium in Portsmouth (previously mentioned) was home to one of the first night games in NFL history: http://sciotohistorical.org/items/show/112

Another oddity is just across the river from Cincinnati in Northern Kentucky where Newport's Newport Stadium and Bellevue's Gilligan Stadium are practically separated by just the I-471 highway overpass. Google lists them as being 0.7 miles apart, but that is going out around and back over. I've always wondered how close they really are.
I've been to Pikeville. Beth-Center PA has the same setup. But they both avoid the infield that way.

Closest I've found is in Wheeling, WV.

Linsly plays at the field on the left and across the stream, Wheeling Central Catholic plays at Wheeling Jesuit University. And yes I've been to both for games.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180319-220443~2.jpg
Views:	1288
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	2196