Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-18-18, 11:22 AM
All Region

Diva is on a distinguished road
Leon Russell
Old 06-18-18, 11:26 AM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
Yes! That is correct.

Couldn't let the Judy Collins reference slide. Saw her at The Ritz in Tiffin for a Christmas Show. Obviously, very good. George Harrison had recently died and she spoke at length about him. I can't think of the name of The Beatle song but it's the one that goes, "There are places I remember... ." (In My Life) I don't believe George wrote it but she dedicated it to him. Very nice.

If you can stand the melancholy find Collins singing Secret Garden. I love it but it tears me apart. You've been warned. "My grandmother's house looks the same but it isn't the same".

Last edited by Bevo; 06-18-18 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-19-18, 12:53 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the warning, Bevo. Because of you, I went to YouTube and had just barely started watching Judy w/The Boston Symphony when I knew I just had to first look up the lyrics.
Just reading the lyrics got to me so much that I knew I wouldn't be able to handle the song without losing it completely. You spared me some achy-braky moments there.
Perhaps another day.
Old 06-19-18, 02:34 PM
All American

If you can find the you tube video of Judy reading a letter from Judy's great grandmother to Judy's family after a visit it is so as of that time, which I believe would have been the early 40's. Grandma talks (it's read by the adult Judy) about all of the goings on, on their small farm. Near the end she says how much she enjoyed having Judy there and hopes that she will remember them as years go by. Then the song begins showing that indeed Judy did remember.

Worth a listen if you can find the one that begins with the letter. Make sure you have a Laurel and Hardy or Abbot and Costello video(s) near by as your antidote. Better get both.

Despite all of this the song is achingly beautiful and in a way hopeful; I still play it every once in a while because of its sheer brilliance and beauty.

It's the 1995, seven minute version.

Last edited by Bevo; 06-19-18 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-20-18, 07:28 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road

~ ~ ~~ ~

as your antidote....

:>---

By your command; Sir!

EGA

Last edited by ohiopup; 06-20-18 at 07:50 AM. Reason: antidotes added
Old 06-20-18, 07:31 AM
All American

Somehow I knew... . Thanks.
Old 06-20-18, 12:44 PM
All Yappi

Birthdays today

Alliance Ohio native: 82... Len Dawson Pro Football HOF
_ _ _ (in HS he was 1st team All-Ohio in both football and basketball)

Audie Murphy: WW-II (MOH) died in an airplane crash at age 46-he would have been 94

~ ~ ~

John Goodman (66)

- - -

Brian Wilson (76) Beach Boy

- - -

Anne Murray (73)

- - -

Lionel Richie (69)

Fear...

SF
Old 06-20-18, 04:27 PM
All American

Smile

Did you all know that of all of the people who have ever jumped off The Golden Gate Bridge, most jump off facing the city. Why? Some view it as a final gesture of defiance a "flip off" to the city; others say it is a final psycholgical gesture or plea that life has failed them.

Len Dawson 82! Some of the oldsters may recall when Lenny and Bouniconti (sp.?) had a NFL prediction show on HBO on Thursday night. Required viewing for the Hopewell- Loudon boiler room football pool participants.

The Browns were good, as were the Oilers and the Bengals. Len and Nick were smooth and competent. Great times!!

Quiz tomorrow afternoon, evening, or Friday morning.
Old 06-20-18, 05:19 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Quiz tomorrow afternoon, evening, or Friday morning.
make up your mind...

I know; It's ready when it's ready.

I have countdown #4 ready just holding on....

P.S. Birthdays ~ RIP / also Chet Adkins - 94th and
Errol Flynn -109th (My Wicked, Wicked Ways ~ bio book) `no better Robin Hood;
character Neville Sinclair (Timothy Dalton) in the 1991 film The Rocketeer
is based on Flynn. Lots of swashbuckling in a lot of his films.
TCM is showing several of his flicks today.

SF
Old 06-20-18, 07:52 PM
All Region

Birthdays today - my husband.
Old 06-20-18, 08:57 PM
All American

39?
Old 06-21-18, 02:23 PM
All American

Here we go again. Four correct responses allowed until tomorrow morning. Please add what ever you have. Some low hangers; some pretty esoteric.

Remember - it is names or name references - anyway you could address a person.

1. Ram Jam

2. "If you hear something late at night, some kind of trouble, some kind of fight". No. 3 in '87. Excellent song about a sad topic. Needed more today than ever. But it would never be a hit.

3./4. What are words that sound alike but are spelled differently? HOMOPHONES! - Thank you, Mr. Slippery

"Who's trippin' down the streets of the city, smiling at everybody she sees".

"I never thought a guy could cry 'til you made it with another guy".

5. Actually Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66 had a bigger hit than the boys did! '68.

6. We may have had this but according to John singing in a Beatle song Paul was this.

7. First of five nonconsecutive singles that hit No. 2 for this band. JB special.

8. He played at Montery and "burned" the place down and he also played this tender song while there. Eric Burdon mentioned him in a song later on.

9. Play this one louder! - "And now you're sad, your mama's mad and your papa says he knows that I don't have any money".

10. "She's the same little girl who use to hang around my door. But she sure looks different than the way she did before. They call her.____".

11. "Every time I think that I'm the only one who's lonely someone calls on me. And every now and then I spend my time in rhyme and verse and curse those faults in me". '66. Really, a very good group; like the Buckinghams as far as being overlooked and forgotten.

12. "I think I could stay with you for awhile". Reminds me a lot of The Marshall Tucker Band - who I really liked.

13. "You fill up me senses like a night in the forest. Like the mountains in springtime; like a walk in the rain. You can You tube him singing Shanghi Breezes acoustically on Carson just sitting there on the couch. Really good.

14. "____ ____, you're a special lady. Living in a world of make believe".

15. Done in '72 about the singer's producer's 2-year old daughter. Won't this get you arrested today? I was watching Animal House last night and Pinto and the car dealer's daughter are on the 50-yard line about to do it. Larry admits to the girl that he has liud to her and he has never had sex. She says that's ok, I lied to you too. I'm only 13! I'm not sure that would fly today.

16. "Flyin' me back to Memphis. Gotta find me ___ ___. Well, the summer's gone and I hope she's feelin' the same". Was a trio; dads were in the military. George Martin produced. Saw them - talked to them. Very good for a couple of years. Still touring and will be in my area this fall. Now a duo.

17. Huge hit in '63. Jeannine Deckers and her friend Annie Pescher killed themselves over tax and finanacial problems because of the song.

18. "There's a hole in daddy's arm where the money goes. Jesus Christ died for nothing, I suppose". Wanted to be Dylan, was a mailman. Had a very melancholy hit a called "Hello in There". Still out.

19. The title of the album with "Crazy on You", "Magic Man" by the Wilson sisters.

20. "Pretty little girl, I don't stand a chance; w/o any money there goes our romance". He's a great. Started in the 50's - still out!

21. This is JB territory; from '66. " ___ ___ she put me down, ___ ___ she made me her clown, ___ ____ she's up to her tricks, ___ ___ she's gettin' her kicks".

22. Brilliant instrumentalist and arranger and I believe started a very successful record label. Did The Lonely Bull, and A Taste of Honey; here's he sings. "My hands are shakin'. Don't let my heart keep breakin', cause I need your love."

23. No. 6 in '62, his daughter had one huge hit. Mel Blanc actually helped on this. Sort of racist. Now, I see the singer selling shower stalls and tubs. Was one of several performers who had hits with Black performer's songs. Theirs were better. The fastest mouse in all of Mexico.

24. "They're really rockin' in Boston, in Pittsburgh P.A., deep in the heart of Texas and 'round the Frisco Bay".

25. From Infidels in '83 -"Standing on the water casting your bread with the eyes of an iron idol a glowing". No one, I believe , will know this but it is a great song by B.D.

26. "Well, the pressures down the boss ain't here. He's gone North for a while ...by the way that's a cute hat and a smile so hard to resist. What's a ___ ___ ___ doing in a dump like this?".

Last edited by Bevo; 06-21-18 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-21-18, 03:25 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
3. Don't know the song titles, but I do know that 2 words that sound the same but are spelled differently are "homophones."

13. Guessing "Annie's Song" by John Denver. I know the opening line from all those '70s Time-Life music collection promos.
Old 06-21-18, 04:09 PM
All American

Mr. Slippery - Thanks!

13. It is John Denver with Anne's Song. Check out Shanghi Breezes.

We're off!!
Old 06-21-18, 04:17 PM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Bevo - Good to see another quiz. Thanks!

I have to stay in my wheelhouse, so I'll go with the following:

5. Actually Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66 had a bigger hit than the boys did! '68.
"Fool on the Hill"
17. Huge hit in '63. Jeannine Deckers and her friend Annie Pescher killed themselves over tax and finanacial problems because of the song.
"Dominique", The Singing Nun (one of the songs that kept "Louie, Louie" from reaching #1)
20. "Pretty little girl, I don't stand a chance; w/o any money there goes our romance". He's a great. Started in the 50's - still out!
"Donna, Donna, the Prima Donna", Dion
24. "They're really rockin' in Boston, in Pittsburgh P.A., deep in the heart of Texas and 'round the Frisco Bay".
"Sweet Little Sixteen", Chuck Berry

ROCK ON!
Old 06-21-18, 05:22 PM
All District

cat_lover is on a distinguished road
1. black Betty
2.Luka-suzanne vega
19.dreamboat annie
Old 06-21-18, 06:25 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
11. Along Comes Mary -- The Association

6. I Am The Walrus -- John and the Boys

7. Suzy Q -- CCR
This one is a wild but educated guess. As Arnold Palmer used to say to me, "never up, never in".
Old 06-21-18, 07:15 PM
All American

I have to watch the Cavs blow this pick; so, I will comment later. Every answer is correct -except for Monclova's Suzy Q - although that is a great answer. For Mon only - think Tina and a lot of hair to get lost in.
Old 06-21-18, 08:06 PM
All American

Collin Sexton - Intriguing... .

OWK - No. 5. Sergio Mendes - I always liked the way this group sounded and its version of The Fool On The Hill was more popular than the guys'.

17. Well - The Singing Nun had her problems but she did keep the Trashmen out of first. I saw her sing this on Ed Sullivan.

20. Dion Demuci has been a star for almost 60 years. He is also one of those guys who was handsome in the 50's and looks pretty good now.

24. I believe Chuck may have had some problems with his own Sweet Little 16. Can't deny the pedigree, however. Like Keith Richards said if they didn't call it Rock and Roll they should have just called it Chuck Berry.

cat lover - 1. Black Betty had an Ohio University connection, didn't it? Someone knew this; JB? All of those Ohio bands in the 60's were pretty good.

2. This was a monster song for Vega and it sounded good too. She had a pretty decent album out then also.

19. I have always loved Heart - especially Nancy - she being an original Bevo Babe back in the day. Dreamboat Annie was the album, My fav., Crazy On You.

Monclova - 11. good pickin on The Association. Much better than people recall. I had Along Comes Mary on a 45. Never My Love is one of the best love songs ever. Tight clinching on that one! Hair always smelled great when your face was buried in it. No girl had to worry about my hands,; I was too busy with her hair!!

6. I believe John told us The Walrus was Paul in their song Glass Onion.

7. Good call on The Creedence boys. Your clue is think Tina and lots of that sweet smelling hair I just talked about.

Good start with a couple of regulars and some standbys that jumped in!
Old 06-21-18, 08:25 PM
All Region

10. Valleri- beloved Monkees

14. Angie Baby by Helen Reddy

22. Herb Alpert- I had one of his albums with The Lonely Bull. I was young when it came out. My mom and I were shopping in an old JCPenney and it was on over the speakers. I wanted to know the name of that song. Mom got the manager and together they determined what song it was on the record they were playing over the speakers. She bought me the album.

I had The Monkees' Greatest Hits, which had my very favorite song of theirs, Valleri, on it. Got it for my birthday when I was ten or eleven.
Old 06-21-18, 09:16 PM
All American

Diva!

10. "I love her! Vallleeerrriii...and I love her".

14. Yes, Living' in a world of make believe". What happened? Hear me roar but where are you?

22. Yes, even I thought Herb Alpert was hot. For the rock era, he was very popular But, what's the song babe?

I believe I saw The Lonely Bull album cover at a friend's house in '62 or '63.

We will award full credit to The Diva but she still needs to come up with the Herb Alpert song.

I saw Mickey Dolenz a bout a year ago. He is going to e in Findlay this coming year for a show. I'm so old I remember him in a show called Circus Boy. So, do three other people on here for sure.

Totally off base but i was looking a the late night offerings on some of the less known channels last night and saw that reruns of Sgt. Preston of The Yukon was on.
I'll say I saw that series 60 years ago and I loved it!
Old 06-21-18, 10:09 PM
All Region

coldshoulder is on a distinguished road
3./4 -- Not sure exactly what you're looking for, but the first line of lyrics is from "Windy (or Wendy?)" by The Association.

12. "Aimee" by Pure Prairie League.

16. "Daisy Jane" by America.
Old 06-21-18, 10:54 PM
All American

coldshoulder - what we are looking at for 3 and 4 are the homphonic one-word names of two songs , both of which have lyrics listed. You are correct on Windy by The Association. What's the other with same pronunciation but different spelling? Your question.

12. Aimee by Pure Prairie League is correct. Never knew the band but I really like the song.

16. Good call up on Daisy Jane by America. The guys were of a brief moment in rock and then, while continuing to write and perform never really hit again. They put all of their hits on their first album. Have seen them live three times; never disappointed because I love their stuff. Lot of memories here with a few ladies and that hair I was talking about when I wore a younger man's clothes (that fit).

We'll say you got No. three correct and need the other homophone name and band for No. four, if you can.

Diva - still needs the Herb Alpert song.

Still open: 4, 8, 9, 15, 18, 21, 23, 25 and 26.

Starting tomorrow you may have two more correct answers. I am pretty sure 25 and 26 will remain open and maybe 21.
Old 06-22-18, 12:39 AM
All American

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
21. " Hooray For Hazel " Tommy Roe
25. " Jokerman" - Bob Dylan
26. " Sweetheart Like You" - Bob Dylan

Bevo you asked about # 1 "Black Betty" by Ram Jam having an Ohio U. connection. . . You are likely thinking of Bill Bartlett the lead guitar player who was previously with The Lemon Pipers who took "Green Tambourine" all the way to number 1 in 1967, but they actually formed in Oxford Oh, which is Miami of Ohio territory and not Athens,Oh.

JB
Old 06-22-18, 01:20 AM
All Ohio

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
8. The Wind Cries Mary – Jimi Hendrix

At the Monterey Pop Festival, when Jimi finished his version of “Wild Thing,” he lit his guitar on fire and then smashed it. Eric Burdon & The Animals sang that Jimi Hendrix ‘set the world on fire’ on their song, “Monterey,” a tribute to their own experience at Monterey.

On a side note, wish I could have seen Burdon play a couple of years ago, at The Kent Stage, but the show was sold out. Still think “House of the Rising Sun” is an awesome song.

http://neomusicscene.com/eric-burdon...he-kent-stage/
Old 06-22-18, 06:45 AM
All American

Do you all see what the Maestro, JB, did there? He not only answered my somewhat obscure question about Ram Jam BUT then he went ahead and answered the two Dylan question that would have kept this quiz from being completed AND then He threw in Hooray for Hazel by Tommy Roe just because he could. Someone once said, "It ain't braggin' if you can do it". He can.

And, The Lemon Pipers reference always conjures up my story of the night they played at now gone Greenmill Gardens in Findlay and, I, sitting on the lip of the stage (things were pretty informal back then), managed to rock and roll myself into such a frenzy that I caused one of the gigantic amps to fall over. My then youthful quickness prevented me from being squished.

21. Hooray For Hazel - This corn ball song still sounds like a cornball song but it is fun. Tommy Roe had a lot of hits. Anyone for Sweet Pea (Come on and dance with me).

25/26. You have one love song (Sweetheart) and a Dylan abstraction (Jokerman) that is long and full of Bob at his best . Despite people's aversion to Bob this is good song writing and performing at its best. Dylan in his 40's and in his prime. Videos are very good also.

Well done!!

FootballFan1795 - Good recall on the Montery Pop Festival the precursor to Woodstock. The lineup at the festival was impressive. It was Jimi Hendrix who played The Wind Cries Mary. Rolling Stone thought enough of it to place it in its top 500 rock songs of all time.

What's left? 6, 9, 15, 18.
Old 06-22-18, 06:59 AM
All American

Major players at The Montery Pop Festival - some of these faded over time. A more impressive list than I recalled. Of course, you had a random Beatle and a random Rolling Stone on site, also.

The Association, Lou Rawls, Johnny Rivers, Eric Burdon, Simon and Garfunkle, Canned Heat, Big Brother and Janis, Country Joe and The Fish, Al Kooper, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Steve Miller Band, Moby grade, The Byrds, Laura Nyro, Jefferson Airplane, Booker T and The MG's, Otis Redding, Ravi Shankar, Blues Project, Biffalo Springfield, The Who, Grateful Dead, Scott McKenzie, Mamas and Papas, Jimi Hendrix.

Fotball fan - you are also correct about Eric Burdon and The Animals. Loved their stuff. The iconic House of The Rising Sun song is great! the organ still gives me chills, along with the great opening and Eric's screamig singing.

Also, loved Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood and We Gotta Get Out Of This Place.

Last edited by Bevo; 06-22-18 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-22-18, 07:00 AM
All Region

Whoops! 22. This Guy's in Love With You
Old 06-22-18, 07:01 AM
All Yappi

Better late to the party than to never show up.

18: Sam Stone by John Prine or
is it John Prime by Sammy Stone.

SF
Old 06-22-18, 07:10 AM
All Region

Monclova Steve gave us number 6 yesterday, didn't he?

I don't know any of the others. I wasn't quick enough on the draw to answer the Heart question. I was out of town with my husband for his birthday.

"Dreamboat Annie" is a great album that showcases both Ann's powerful vocals and Nancy's great guitar playing. Great beginning album for them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: