Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-09-18, 10:15 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
Reducing length of season ...

I'm sure this has come up any number of times on the board. Just wondering what people's thoughts are on this.

It is my personal opinion that the present winter sports season (which includes wrestling) is too long. From the start of practice, to the end of regular season, and then through the state series (for those fortunate to advance so far) is a long period for which to be engaged; this is both from a mental and physical perspective.

I think it might behoove us as a sport to advocate a reduction of the high school season on the front end (i.e. start later) and/or the back end (i.e. end earlier). I know those wrestlers who compete on the elite level are either engaging in the sport year-round or semi-year-round, but there are many who just aren't for a variety of reasons, and they're very important for the vitality and growth of the sport.

I have some further thoughts and comments on this, but want to solicit some feedback.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-18, 10:34 PM
All Region

Tartan78 is on a distinguished road
If you have a varsity head coach that knows what he is doing the season length is fine...the toughest tourney in OH is Ironman which only involves the most serious of wrestlers. Then the next super serious tourneys are during Christmas Break. This will b the last big weekend. Most Coaches divide the wrestling season in 2 parts. They know how to manage the ebb and flows of the sport....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-18, 11:15 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
I agree with Bucksman on shortening the season. I'd like to do it on the back end because that's when kids lose interest or break most often. I'm not totally sure how to change things but we lose a lot of JV/Freshman kids as soon once we hit February because they don't really have much to compete for. Currently our JV league tournament is the last weekend of January. We've tried to add some duals after that but kids lose interest and move on to their other sports or simply check out. Some of those guys never come out again.
Old 01-10-18, 12:48 AM
All American

darthmalice is on a distinguished road
I'm game for reducing the season on the back end. Most Conference tournaments are last week of January or first week of February and then a gap of nothing until end of February( sectionals). Having the state duals will make reducing the season challenging, unless you make it like the Virginia Beach team dual and do the event over a 3 day time period instead of stretching from one week to resuming 3 weeks later.
Old 01-10-18, 02:42 AM
All World

wash.c.h.legend is on a distinguished road
It just isnít long enough

Old 01-10-18, 07:56 AM
All Ohio

Sweep is on a distinguished road
State tournament needs to be the last weekend of Feb. every year. Practice starts at the beginning of November.

1 month practice and scrimmages
2 months regular season
1 month post season
Old 01-10-18, 08:10 AM
All District

Coach JDean is on a distinguished road
I agree, it can be a bit too long. If I had to pick I would shorten it on the front end and start later. A lot of teams run into problems with their football team making deep runs into the playoffs and since football and wrestling share a lot of athletes that is where I would do it. This year our football team made it to the title game (which was the same weekend as the opening weekend of Wrestling). Then kids need to get into "wrestling shape" and by then your already a month into your regular season. I had to pull my guy from the Iron Man this year because I didn't think a week and half would give him enough time to heal and be prepared for that high level of a tourney after his football season just ended.
Old 01-10-18, 09:01 AM
All District

monarchpride is on a distinguished road
There has been some discussion at the State Coaches association level. I know it would affect tournaments like Ironman but one suggestion was to start after thanksgiving. This would reduce teams affected by football playoffs and reduce the number of holidays wrestlers had to navigate from a weight managment/practice schedule standpoint. Itís not perfect but itís a discussion starter
Old 01-10-18, 09:15 AM
All District

galewrestling is on a distinguished road
And was is really strange is the JH is even longer, and youth is even longer than both (assuming post season).
Old 01-10-18, 09:25 AM
All World

cruiser_96 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartan78 View Post
If you have a varsity head coach that knows what he is doing the season length is fine...the toughest tourney in OH is Ironman which only involves the most serious of wrestlers. Then the next super serious tourneys are during Christmas Break. This will b the last big weekend. Most Coaches divide the wrestling season in 2 parts. They know how to manage the ebb and flows of the sport....

I agree with this. Coaches have the autonomy to make the season feel less lengthy given the power of the scheduling process.

This week we are off. No dual or tournament. Practice are shorter (but still intense), and with the pending weather, can afford a day off. (I realize you can't plan four months in advance for weather and I got lucky this week, but giving a break allows for some play.)
Old 01-10-18, 10:52 AM
All Ohio

LHS WRESTLING is on a distinguished road
The other issue are the super tournaments that are WAY too big and WAY too long. This makes an already long season seem even more longer. Great for fans, but very tough on coaches, athletes and families.
Old 01-10-18, 11:47 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS WRESTLING View Post
The other issue are the super tournaments that are WAY too big and WAY too long. This makes an already long season seem even more longer. Great for fans, but very tough on coaches, athletes and families.
Schools can host tournaments of any size or run them how they choose. I like the freedom to do as a school sees the need.

Personally, I'm going back to 8-man brackets. We are hosting one on Jan. 27 and will be looking to enter more in the years to come.

December: Pools (and a couple dual meets/2x4s)
Christmas Break: (before Christmas or after) large bracket tournament
January & February: Dual meets and bracket-styled tournaments
Old 01-10-18, 11:48 AM
Varsity

escape1 is on a distinguished road
Shorten football season, problem solved.
Old 01-10-18, 12:43 PM
All District

CoachHoon is on a distinguished road
Happy to see this...

I'm glad you posted this because it has been discussed at the state level.

The NE district coaches discussed it last night as well. If you would like to be part of the discussion on how to make a motion to the OHSAA to take a look at this please attend the next NE/E District meeting. We will vote on whether or not to present at the state coaches meeting in March.

6161 Oak Tree Blvd, Independence, OH 44131, USA
Suite 316
7pm pizza, 7:30 meeting. We are usually there about an hour and we are the governing body for the district that sends our needs/wants to the state as well as our Hall of Fame and Coaches of the Year selections....so please attend.

-Coach Hoon
Old 01-10-18, 12:50 PM
All Ohio

Cramer is on a distinguished road
From preseason camp to end of regular season, football is 3 months. A state title team adds 5 weeks. So a team that runs deep into the playoffs is the same timeframe as the preseason (November) practices and regular season only. Then throw in the additional 3 weeks for postseason for those that make it and it is longer than the football season.

I wouldn't be disappointed in a shortened season, when I wrestled ('99-'02) matches started week 2 of December, I think practices started around the same time as now? Some guys thrive in the format we have now, others not so much, so it's a matter of finding that happy medium. Could this be a factor to help increase numbers? I mean in a rural area where I coach starting after thanksgiving may help because that's 3 extra weeks of hunting they get in without effecting practice time.

This was brought up on the original thread about reducing weight classes, what about an actual break over the holidays? I personally don't like the idea of not knowing what my guys are doing (one wrecked on an atv and cut his leg over the couple days we have for Christmas) but having my own family with a 1 year old and my wife working in the schools now, I enjoyed my days off a lot more this year than in years past where even when I was off I was thinking/ planning wrestling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-18, 12:57 PM
All Ohio

Sweep is on a distinguished road
Anyway we could expand it to the other districts as well? I believe you would find support for this all over the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachHoon View Post
I'm glad you posted this because it has been discussed at the state level.

The NE district coaches discussed it last night as well. If you would like to be part of the discussion on how to make a motion to the OHSAA to take a look at this please attend the next NE/E District meeting. We will vote on whether or not to present at the state coaches meeting in March.

6161 Oak Tree Blvd, Independence, OH 44131, USA
Suite 316
7pm pizza, 7:30 meeting. We are usually there about an hour and we are the governing body for the district that sends our needs/wants to the state as well as our Hall of Fame and Coaches of the Year selections....so please attend.

-Coach Hoon
Old 01-10-18, 01:33 PM
All Ohio

chidy is on a distinguished road
I also think that the season could be shortened by 2-3 weeks.

The issue with cutting off the front end of the season is then Ironman would be the 1st weekend of the season instead of the 2nd (This has happened in the past). It can't be backed up because the Beast of the East is the following weekend and some of the teams that attend the Ironman wouldn't be able to attend the Beast and vice versa

I know that many teams don't attend these events but the Ironman puts all eyes on Ohio Wrestling at the beginning of the season and I think it's an important event to keep close to the time frame it is.

With the Team Regionals taking place next season on 2/2/19 my suggestion would be to have all conference tournaments the last weekend in January.

So here's how next season (18-19) could shape up hypothetically

11/19- 1st practice (not really a fan of the Friday start)
12/7- 1st Date of competition
1/26- Conference Tournaments
2/2- Team Regional
2/9- Team State
2/15-2/16- Sectionals
2/22-2/23- District
2/28-3/2- Individual State

This does create a problem with individual state falling on the same weekend as The Arnold which raises the price of hotels dramatically.

Conceivably if they wanted to condense the season by 3 weeks they could do the following which would avoid the Arnold and end the season at the end of February.

11/19- 1st practice (get rid of the Friday start)
1/19- Conference Tournaments
1/26- Team Regional
2/2- Team State
2/9- Sectionals
2/15-2/16- District
2/22-2/23- Individual State

During the 19-20 season state would fall on a leap year and you could have state 2/27-2/29 (There are 5 Saturday's in Feb during this year so you could push back things a week to end last weekend of February)

20-21 state would 2/25-2/27
Old 01-11-18, 08:54 PM
All District

CoachHoon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweep View Post
Anyway we could expand it to the other districts as well? I believe you would find support for this all over the state.
Not exactly sure what you mean by this. Each district has its own representation, who can be found on the state coaches website http://ohswca.org/ohswca.html

Contact your district rep and let them know what you think or attend your district meeting to have face to face discussion with other coaches in your area.

We then meet at the state tournament and discuss the needs that each district bring.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 01-11-18, 11:08 PM
All Region

Latman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidy View Post

Conceivably if they wanted to condense the season by 3 weeks they could do the following which would avoid the Arnold and end the season at the end of February.

11/19- 1st practice (get rid of the Friday start)
1/19- Conference Tournaments
1/26- Team Regional
2/2- Team State
2/9- Sectionals
2/15-2/16- District
2/22-2/23- Individual State

During the 19-20 season state would fall on a leap year and you could have state 2/27-2/29 (There are 5 Saturday's in Feb during this year so you could push back things a week to end last weekend of February)

20-21 state would 2/25-2/27
I like this timeline and having state at the end of Feb. Many states follow this timeline already. What I like about this is it gives more time for off season lifting and locking hands season!
Old 01-12-18, 01:25 PM
All Ohio

Huge is on a distinguished road
Eliminating conference tournaments would save one weekend ( already wrestle in duals and sectionals) and moving state duals to one weekend eases burden and schools not involved could take weekend off. Could also eliminate sectional and start with districts ( not sure about capacity to have that many kids and larger brackets might need to go Saturday Sunday...)
Old 01-12-18, 03:18 PM
All Region

bluepride1990 is on a distinguished road
Weather like today weather you agree or not for cancellation or no show is a reason for longer season.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-18, 03:58 PM
All Ohio

Mat Coach
If you shorten the season, then remove the "points" handcuffing teams for scheduling. It's a win/win.
Old 01-12-18, 04:06 PM
All District

Smoke Screen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge View Post
Eliminating conference tournaments would save one weekend ( already wrestle in duals and sectionals) and moving state duals to one weekend eases burden and schools not involved could take weekend off. Could also eliminate sectional and start with districts ( not sure about capacity to have that many kids and larger brackets might need to go Saturday Sunday...)
Conference tournaments are very important to a lot of programs, especially ones that aren't very competitive at the State level. I know for our school, winning the conference tournament is the biggest goal the coaching staff has.
Old 01-12-18, 04:07 PM
All District

Smoke Screen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latman View Post
I like this timeline and having state at the end of Feb. Many states follow this timeline already. What I like about this is it gives more time for off season lifting and locking hands season!
I like this.
Old 01-12-18, 06:37 PM
All World

I wouldn't mind seeing the last Saturday in February being the standard for when the state finals occur. #Clockwork

The season adjusts accordingly.
Old 01-12-18, 06:39 PM
All World

Oooooooh. Feb. 2026 - sectionals on Feb. 14.

Meh. If they married a wrestling coach, they most likely get it.
Old 01-12-18, 07:17 PM
All Region

CincyWrestler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartan78 View Post

You are drastically missing the point. Many head coaches who know what they're doing would still like the seasoned shortened. It is a long grueling season and imo a shorter season would help keep more kids out. Many kids are too burnt out by the end of the season to fully get involved with summer Greco and Freestyle. In a perfect world the season wouldn't start until after New Years to take the Holiday's completely out of the picture but I'm told there's something called spring sports that would interfere. I'd definitely settle for starting December 1st, that would condense everything by a month and take Thanksgiving out of the equation.
Old 01-12-18, 07:24 PM
All District

Crafty1964 is on a distinguished road
What does it matter how long the season is? For the true wrestlers it is a year round sport anyway. If they aren’t wrestling for their home schools they are wrestling somewhere regardless.
Old 01-12-18, 08:15 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty1964 View Post
What does it matter how long the season is? For the true wrestlers it is a year round sport anyway. If they arenít wrestling for their home schools they are wrestling somewhere regardless.
We aren't losing those kids. They're going to be there no matter what. And really the attitude that's ruining all sports at the high school level. If you don't commit to a single sport for the entire year are you truly committed?

Speaking from my own experience, we lose a lot of kids over Christmas break. That or they take the two weeks off and then return following the break. We don't really have much of a choice but to allow this to happen. There's only one maybe two kids who have licenses and many of their parents don't either.
Old 01-12-18, 09:50 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty1964 View Post
What does it matter how long the season is? For the true wrestlers it is a year round sport anyway. If they arenít wrestling for their home schools they are wrestling somewhere regardless.
We aren't losing those kids. They're going to be there no matter what. And really the attitude that's ruining all sports at the high school level. If you don't commit to a single sport for the entire year are you truly committed?

Speaking from my own experience, we lose a lot of kids over Christmas break. That or they take the two weeks off and then return following the break. We don't really have much of a choice but to allow this to happen. There's only one maybe two kids who have licenses and many of their parents don't either. Coaches can only get so many kids there.