Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-11-18, 03:32 PM
All Ohio

Nick Spatola is on a distinguished road
2018 Spatola Classic hosted at University of Cincinnati March 31st

We are looking forward to hosting another great tournament where wrestlers from the tristate area any beyond can showcase their skills!
Please stay tuned for continued updates.

REGISTRATION IS OPEN AND LIVE RIGHT HERE! http://spatolawrestling.com/event-registration/?ee=22
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-18, 10:20 AM
All Ohio

Expecting 400+ wrestlers and families from all over the country to attend this year!
We host a first class event and our venue was voted the #1 Rec Center in the US!
See you all in March!
Contact nick@spatolawrestling.com with any questions
http://spatolawrestling.com/tournament-2018/
Old 01-19-18, 08:03 AM
All Ohio

Girls Division

This year we have added a 9&U and a 12&U GIRLS division!
Old 02-07-18, 01:36 PM
All Ohio

SAVE $5 BY REGISTERING TODAY http://spatolawrestling.com/tournament-2018/

Last edited by Nick Spatola; 02-07-18 at 01:37 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 02-24-18, 02:42 PM
All Ohio

Printable Flyer

This year's tournament is shaping up to be the best and most competitive yet. We have wrestlers from all over the country signing up every week.
Register by February 28th and receive a $5 discount http://spatolawrestling.com/tournament-2018/

Here is a printable flyer to share with others http://spatolawrestling.com/wp-conte...bw_spatola.pdf

Thanks!
Old 03-10-18, 08:24 AM
All Ohio

The 2018 Official Tournament T-Shirt! Get yours today when you register at http://spatolawrestling.com/tournament-2018/

Old 03-22-18, 10:31 AM
All Ohio

It's on next week! It's looking like this is going to be a great tournament. Wrestlers from about 10 states signed up. Current college wrestlers from all 3 divisions, multiple state champs from youth/jh/and hs, nationals #1's, head college/hs coaches, professional fighters, black belts, and new girls division!

Weigh ins next Friday 6-8 PM at Spatola Wrestling 90 Alexandria Pike. Fort Thomas, KY 41075. Wrestle on Saturday right in the heart of Cincinnati at UC Rec Center.

Last day to register is next Friday. Click this link if you'd like to register now http://spatolawrestling.com/tournament-2018/
Old 03-28-18, 11:17 AM
All Ohio

Hot Head Burritos!!

Every Champion receives a FREE Burrito!!!

ALL wresters receive a BOGO burrito card!

Don't forget to head just one exit down after weigh ins. Hot Heads is running a WRESTLER SPECIAL $5 BURRITOS OR BOWLS!!
94 Carothers Rd, Newport, KY 41071

Old 03-29-18, 05:22 PM
Varsity

scrappler40 is on a distinguished road
So will this match happen? Elliott Spence NCAA runner up and current MSJ head coach vs Robby Malof World Class Jiu Jitsu competitor and MMA fighter.

Last edited by scrappler40; 03-29-18 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-01-18, 09:30 AM
All Ohio

TheStuff142
What determines if he is "World Class" as they kept announcing? If he is indeed "World Class" maybe a real college open would be a more appropriate challenge to test his skills vs real college wrestlers.
Old 04-01-18, 09:43 AM
All World

Suplexer130 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStuff142 View Post
What determines if he is "World Class" as they kept announcing? If he is indeed "World Class" maybe a real college open would be a more appropriate challenge to test his skills vs real college wrestlers.
He is a world class Jiu Jitsu competitor, but if you have ever watched him wrestle in this he has an illegal move he uses as a leg attack defense that he never gets called on. It’s an illegal key lock (Kimura in Jiu Jitsu) that forces the guys to let go of the leg and go with it. I saw a video mash up from him competing in it last year and he did it every match and no one called him on it which I thought was weird.

Either way to your question good Jiu Jitsu competitor for sure.
Old 04-01-18, 01:01 PM
All District

SCORE2WIN is on a distinguished road
Can the results be seen anywhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-18, 08:07 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suplexer130 View Post
He is a world class Jiu Jitsu competitor, but if you have ever watched him wrestle in this he has an illegal move he uses as a leg attack defense that he never gets called on. Itís an illegal key lock (Kimura in Jiu Jitsu) that forces the guys to let go of the leg and go with it. I saw a video mash up from him competing in it last year and he did it every match and no one called him on it which I thought was weird.

Either way to your question good Jiu Jitsu competitor for sure.

I believe he is ranked top 10 in IBJJF, International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation, at his weight class. Heís also competed in Pan Am and in other international events.

As for the kimura sweep being used as single leg defense or counter offense, itís not necessarily an illegal move. In fact, you can use the same kimura (or key lock) in the standing Russian tie series. So in this application, if the trapped arm or wrist is kept in your opponents abdomen and itís used as leverage on your sweep itís perfectly legal and is very effectively used as counter offense. If you intentionally clear your opponents abdomen and force your opponents arm / wrist towards the back of his body causing torque on the shoulder (the way he did the move last year), then it would be considered illegal. Honestly itíll probably only be deemed illegal by a referee that has jiu jitsu or submission grappling knowledge. I would guess most refs would call it potentially dangerous.

Now, as for the match against the NCAA AA he actually got away with an early standing guillotine choke which the ref didnít acknowledge. He was penalized one point on the second one only because his opponentís coach / spectators brought it to the refís attention.

Heís obviously marketing his sport and his livelihood and itís working in his world. He would have little to no success against active high level DI or world class folkstyle, freestyle or greco guys. It would be very one sided. Now, in all fairness if most wrestlers would try to compete in a jiu jitsu match against him , he would obviously have a very strong advantage and there would be some guys with hyperextended limbs and waking up wondering what happened.

Have fun!
Old 04-01-18, 08:45 PM
All World

Suplexer130 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappler40 View Post

As for the kimura sweep being used as single leg defense or counter offense, it’s not necessarily an illegal move. In fact, you can use the same kimura (or key lock) in the standing Russian tie series. So in this application, if the trapped arm or wrist is kept in your opponents abdomen and it’s used as leverage on your sweep it’s perfectly legal and is very effectively used as counter offense. If you intentionally clear your opponents abdomen and force your opponents arm / wrist towards the back of his body causing torque on the shoulder (the way he did the move last year), then it would be considered illegal. Honestly it’ll probably only be deemed illegal by a referee that has jiu jitsu or submission grappling knowledge. I would guess most refs would call it potentially dangerous.

As you said the way he did it last year was illegal, which is what I said haha. The way you describe it as a defense to a single in a legal sense is ineffective which is why you do it the illegal way it’s how you make them go over and release the leg. As for the key lock out of the Russian yea similar motion but the rotation and where you want the hand going (into the chest) are different.

I have actually rolled with Robbie before a few years back in Jiu Jitsu, good guy and talented.
Old 04-01-18, 09:10 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suplexer130 View Post
As you said the way he did it last year was illegal, which is what I said haha. The way you describe it as a defense to a single in a legal sense is ineffective which is why you do it the illegal way itís how you make them go over and release the leg. As for the key lock out of the Russian yea similar motion but the rotation and where you want the hand going (into the chest) are different.

I have actually rolled with Robbie before a few years back in Jiu Jitsu, good guy and talented.
The kimura sweep is not ineffective at all the legal way I described it. In fact thatís why I prefer to use the term counter offense as opposed to defense. If youíve ever done it and done it correctly you would know that itís a very high percentage scoring technique while countering a head inside single. In fact, I prefer they keep the leg and get pinned in the process. As for the key lock in the Russian tie , I was simply referring to the lock technique and the offensive body position not the rotation.

Iím glad youíve had an opportunity to roll with Robbie. Youíre right he is a very talented young jiu jitsu athlete. He is certainly building a nice brand for himself. I have no problem with him taking the risks that he has and marketing his brand. In fact I can respect it.