Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-11-17, 02:13 PM
All District

tmikusa is on a distinguished road
Graham vs Eds

Anyone have an idea of what the matchups will be for this dual next Saturday, 1/21?

Noticed at a meet Sunday where Graham moved 3 of their upper weights up a weight. Might work against Eds.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-17, 02:15 PM
All District

pintowin27 is on a distinguished road
I love me some Moore vs Hart
Old 01-11-17, 02:24 PM
All District

D3legend is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pintowin27 View Post
I love me some Moore vs Hart
I agree! I love Moore's style but I don't know how well that will work in college. I bet it feels like your head in a vise-grip when he has that front headlock.
Old 01-11-17, 02:33 PM
All Yappi

Boro Fan is on a distinguished road
Too hard to predict this one with the injuries Eds has and all of the lineup shifting both teams can do. Both teams weakest spot is at HVY, and both have viable backups that can slide in somewhere and bump the rest of their lineup up (Eds: Richter or Hepner to 120...Graham: Shafer at 120 or the younger Stickley to wrestle Dover's replacement). Grapo and C.Hepner could be back?
Old 01-11-17, 02:51 PM
All American

Big D 185 is on a distinguished road
Last year Shafer bumping to heavy and getting the fall was huge!

This year it would be nice to see what I think are the two best 220's in Ohio go at it ..... Shafer vs Campbell
Old 01-11-17, 03:34 PM
All District

tmikusa is on a distinguished road
Graham's 145 Sanchez has been hurt. Will he be ready for the match with St. Eds?
Old 01-11-17, 03:35 PM
Junior Varsity

Pavlovsdog is on a distinguished road
EDS GRAHAM
----- ---------
106) Rini dec. Jordan 3 0
113) Richter dec. Show 7 0
120) Andonian dec Crace 10 0
126) Kazimir dec Thomas 16 0
132) Moore dec Hart 16 3
138) Stickley dec Dover 16 6
145)Sanchez dec Hepner 16 9
152) Jordan dec Grapo 16 15
160) Carpenter dec Thomas 19 15
171)Santillo dec Hyden 22 15
182)Braun dec Stepic 22 18
195)Sarver dec Howard 22 21
220) Campbell dec Hyden 27 21
285) Shafer dec Santillo 27 27
Old 01-11-17, 07:50 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D 185 View Post
Last year Shafer bumping to heavy and getting the fall was huge!

This year it would be nice to see what I think are the two best 220's in Ohio go at it ..... Shafer vs Campbell
I'd have to look back at my notes, but I recall that Shafer bumping to heavy and getting the fall happened after the dual meet was out of reach.

A Shafer vs. Campbell match would be a non-event in my opinion. Campbell wins decisively with bonus possible.

Not going to worry too much about this dual meet this week. So much of the outcome is going to depend on who is available to wrestle for each team (moreso St. Edward, as they've had more flux in their lineup).
Old 01-11-17, 09:54 PM
All District

wrestlingdad3 is on a distinguished road
Campbell dominated probably the hottest wrestler in SWO in McCloud. Shafer vs Campbell would end in a similar fashion IMO. Campbell is on a different level right now. Would pay good money to see Campbell wrestle Mason Paris from Lawrenceburg, Indiana....both great wrestlers.
Old 01-12-17, 01:00 PM
All American

mailman112 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlovsdog View Post
EDS GRAHAM
----- ---------
132) Moore dec Hart 16 3
I would be shocked to see this line up next Saturday. Bumping and injuries will change the scoring.
Old 01-12-17, 08:45 PM
All Region

wrestling125 is on a distinguished road
Campbell would tech small Mason Paris.
Old 01-12-17, 10:04 PM
All District

Blast Double is on a distinguished road
This year it would be nice to see what I think are the two best 220's in Ohio go at it ..... Shafer vs Campbell[/QUOTE]
Shafer just lost to Human 8-0. He's definitely not one of the 2 best 220's in the Ohio.
Old 01-12-17, 11:20 PM
All Yappi

Boro Fan is on a distinguished road
I would say it goes...

1. Campbell
2. Thorp
3. Sullivan
4. Human
5. Shafer (HE IS NOT MY SON HAHA)
Old 01-13-17, 01:37 AM
All American

CuriousGeorge1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlovsdog View Post
EDS GRAHAM
----- ---------
132) Moore dec Hart 16 3

With these two lineups the "tossup" matches would be 138 (edge Dover), 145 (edge Sanchez), 160 (push), 182 (push), 195 (push). Some people would say 132 is a tossup as well with two Nationally ranked wrestlers going at it, but I think Moore has proven himself to be the favorite at that weight. Although an upset is clearly possible, but it would be just that...an upset.

You basically predicted Graham to win every tossup match. I highly doubt that happens.

Ed's is favored at, 106, 113, 120, 126, 170, 220, and 285

Graham is favored at 132 and 152.

However, with injuries and some lineup flexing, I suspect this dual will be very close.
Old 01-13-17, 04:30 AM
Varsity

SCORE2WIN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestling125 View Post

Lol. From what I know of Masons dad that could be arranged very easily.

Have Campbell and Mincy wrestled? Cause I heard that Paris damn near tech-pinned Mincy at the beginning of the 2nd period just a couple weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-17, 06:58 AM
Freshman

snicks is on a distinguished road
Campbell pinned Mincy at the state tour last season in 32 sec.
Old 01-13-17, 10:12 AM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enough
Graham a heavy favorite at this point considering the roster availability of last two weeks.
Old 01-13-17, 10:54 AM
All Ohio

ProV1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Graham a heavy favorite at this point considering the roster availability of last two weeks.
Here we go with the very predictable self deprecating predictions from Ed's fans to be followed by relentless gushing after they post an ultra impressive and unlikely win.
Old 01-13-17, 12:44 PM
All American

I agree with Eaglefan Graham is the favorite as of today. Heavy favorite? Not so sure about that statement. Clearly with Ed's current line up they will not beat Graham. I don't expect much to change other then one weight coming back to wrestle prior to the dual. Graham should win by 6-10 points. Those are just the facts. End of the day it really doesn't matter who wins. It's all about winning two state titles. Period. For each school.
Old 01-14-17, 01:17 AM
All American

I have to agree with Eaglefan and Mailman...Ed's is too banged up right now to knock off a team as good as graham. It wouldn't be a sure thing if Ed's was at 100% Graham is an excellent team and anything less than St. Ed's absolute best won't get it down.

I also agree that this dual doesn't seem to have the same cache of other years. Neither team is vying for a National Championship and really there are no HUGE individual matches to focus on. I know Hart vs Moore features two State Champs and two Nationally Ranked wrestlers, but Moore has established himself as the clear favorite there as we have seen Moore win against Hart about a half dozen times now.

I will say this, next year this Dual will be rocking again. I firmly believe SPG will be a favorite to win the National Title next year. They only have ONE Senior of note in the lineup. Graham historically has had an issue filling out the top half of their lineup. Well, now they have some upperweights and with another year of seasoning, they will have some near elite upperweights. Granted they are losing Sarver, but the growth they will see from the rest of the lineup should more than make up for that loss.

Ed's will be in the top 5, but losses half of their lineup (7 starters). That is quite a bit more than Graham, big scorers in Hart, Campbell, Carpenter and Stepic along with Santillo, Hepner, and Grapo. St. Edward has some very quality young guns waiting for a chance though and I don't think we see much of a fall off. St. Edward's run for a National Title takes place in the 2018-2019 season though. Making the dual with SPG a standing room only event in 2017-2018 and then again in the 2018-2019 seasons. Beyond that I can't see, but the potentially is certainly there.
Old 01-14-17, 09:25 AM
All World

bdhof is on a distinguished road
Clearly when one or both teams are vying for a national championship the stakes are much higher. However, that is not the case in many of these premiere match-ups of Ohio's two powerhouses. This is always a chance to see the best Ohio dual of the year, in what will likely be a packed house. And this is a chance to see future AAs, as both teams have a strong history of putting wrestlers on the podium at the NCAAs (Eds with a much longer history than SPG in this regard).

Finally, what is almost always on the table is the claim to be recognized as the best team in Ohio
, as those two teams are typically the best in their respective divisions, and both are typically in the top five or ten in the nation. That is once again on the table. If anyone thinks that Urban and Jordan are telling their wrestlers that this meet isn't that big of a deal, you're delusional. And if you think these wrestlers aren't aware that this is the biggest dual of the year for each of these teams, you're delusional.

And Eds, BTW, just knocked off the #4 ranked Lake Highland Prep with this banged up lineup. So, don't feel sorry for them. They're going to put a pretty decent squad on the mat. I don't know who wins this but it will be a great dual featuring two nationally ranked teams in #3 ranked Eds and #5 ranked SPG.
Old 01-14-17, 09:56 AM
All American

If the line up coming out of the DCC tournament is correct, Ed's is getting healthy at the right time.
Old 01-15-17, 02:23 AM
All American

Rini, Grapo and Andonian are back in the lineup. Still without Dover and Hepner at the moment.

Getting there.
Old 01-17-17, 06:24 PM
All Ohio

ProV1 is on a distinguished road
http://www.ohiowrestlingnews.com/new...rer_id=1024660
Old 01-18-17, 06:25 AM
All Region

craceman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I would take that bet!!! Campbell might win but no way he techs Mason Paris!! Paris beat Colton Schultz over the summer and Schultz hasn't lost to Campbell. Taking nothing away from Campbell but It would be a good match and I wouldn't be surprised if Paris won!!
Old 01-18-17, 12:08 PM
Freshman

markparris is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Small Parris? 6'3" walks around at 225lbs. You must be a beast if that is small. Campbell is a great wrestler. They did wrestle last summer at Virginia Beach Duals, Mason was probably around 210lbs. Mason was up 6-2 when Campbell unfortunately had to injury default. If they meet again should be a great match. You my friend shouldn't post on things you don't know about. Good luck, and stay healthy to all of the Ohio wrestlers.
Old 01-18-17, 12:27 PM
All American

the123kidz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by markparris View Post
Small Parris? 6'3" walks around at 225lbs. You must be a beast if that is small. Campbell is a great wrestler. They did wrestle last summer at Virginia Beach Duals, Mason was probably around 210lbs. Mason was up 6-2 when Campbell unfortunately had to injury default. If they meet again should be a great match. You my friend shouldn't post on things you don't know about. Good luck, and stay healthy to all of the Ohio wrestlers.
Welcome to Yappi, try not to be that Dad though. If you are on these forums you will see comments that in all honestly don't need to be made when talking about high school athletes. Some dads or uncles come on and feel like they need to defend the family name and the forum becomes a dark place. Enjoy the forum for what it is. Anyone who takes pot shots at kids probably lives in their moms basement still and would never have the stones to make that comment to your face, and everyone knows exactly the cowards that they are. I wish your son or nephew the best and hope he performs at the highest level possible.
Old 01-18-17, 01:10 PM
Freshman

markparris is on a distinguished road
Thank you! Appreciate it.
Old 01-18-17, 04:06 PM
All American

From Josh Lowe:

106: Angelo Rini (St. Edward) vs. Tanner Jordan (St. Paris Graham)
Both wrestlers in this match are sophomores. Rini is a Cadet National freestyle All-American from this past summer, while Jordan advanced one round farther at the Walsh Ironman.

113: Scott Richter/Bryce Hepner (SE) vs. Dawson Show (SPG)
Both potential starters for St. Edward are freshmen, while Show is a sophomore. Richter was one match away from placing at the Ironman.

120: No. 19 Bryce Andonian (SE) vs. Jordan Crace (SPG)
In last year's dual meet, this pair of sophomores met in a barn-burner at 106 pounds, a match won 15-9 by Andonian. At year's end, Andonian won a state title in Division I, while Crace was third in Division II.

126: No. 14 Matt Kazimir (SE) vs. Jeff Thomas (SPG)
Kazimir pinned Thomas when the pair met at the Ironman earlier this season. In last year's state tournament, Kazimir placed third, while Thomas was an unexpected runner-up in Division II.

132: No. 10 Allan Hart (SE) vs. No. 3 Mitch Moore (SPG)
Moore was runner-up at the Ironman, while Hart finished fourth. In last year's dual meet match, Moore made a five-point move from the first period stand in a 5-3 victory.

138: Sam Dover/Michael Garcar (SE) vs. J.D. Stickley (SPG)
Returning state placer Dover was a quarterfinalist at the Walsh Ironman, but has not competed since suffering an injury in that bout, while the junior Stickley capitalized upon an upset over a nationally ranked wrestler to place seventh at the Ironman. Should Dover be available this is a tossup, if not, Stickley wins easily.

145: Nico Russo/Cade Hepner (SE) vs. Joey Sanchez (SPG)
Both St. Edward possible starters are seniors, with Hepner being more able to pinch an upset, though he's been out of the lineup for a while. Sanchez finished fifth at state in the 152 pound weight class last season, after being the hero of Graham's dual meet upset over Blair.

152: Larry Grapo (SE) vs. No. 12 Rocky Jordan (SPG)
The junior Jordan is a two-time state finalist, winning state last year, but missed this year's Ironman due to injury.

160: Michael Carpenter (SE) vs. Ryan Thomas (SPG)
Carpenter placed sixth at state last year, while Ironman fourth place finisher Thomas is a two-time state placer.

170: Vittorio Santillo (SE) vs. Hunter Hyden (SPG)
This represents a relatively weak link within each team's lineup and could serve as a pivotal swing bout.

182: Tyler Stepic (SE) vs. Gage Braun (SPG)
Both wrestlers placed at the state tournament last year, Stepic sixth and Braun fifth. Stepic did win the head-to-head match in last year's dual meet, and advanced one round further at the Ironman.

Cody Howard of St. Edward finishes a takedown at The Clash (Photo/Jeff Beshey, The Guillotine)

195: Cody Howard (SE) vs. Kavan Sarver (SPG)
The junior Howard qualified for state last year, while Sarver placed third at state. Sarver out-placed Howard at this year's Ironman, and pinned him in last year's dual meet.

220: No. 5 Jared Campbell (SE) vs. Johnny Shafer (SPG)
This match represents a potential inflection point in the dual meet, not for the match itself, but for the strategy around it. In last year's dual meet, St. Paris Graham won the coin toss and chose to bump Shafer away from Campbell. Look for a similar strategy to be in force this year. Expect both teams to weigh-in multiple wrestlers at this weight class. St. Edward will want to match the two-time state runner-up Campbell on sophomore state placer Shafer, while Graham wants Shafer off of Campbell.

285: Luca Santillo (SE) vs. Khrizdon VanHoose (SPG)
Like 170 this is a relative weak link within each team. However, the match as presently constituted is one that St. Edward should win, which is why the Falcons will want to bump Shafer here is possible, so they can steal a match.
Old 01-18-17, 04:08 PM
All World

cruiser_96 is on a distinguished road
Given how the season has gone as far as illness and injury, I'll be shocked if 3 to 5 of the names above wrestle in the match.