Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-08-17, 08:55 AM
Champ96 Champ96 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 02-09-16
Posts: 11
Champ96 is on a distinguished road
Sportsmanship

I was just wondering about sportsmanship and where it went. I was attending the JC Gorman tournament last night and saw the worst ever. I was watching the 132 pound championship between a Fremont Kid and a Madison kid. It was a great match and the worse thing could happen. The Madison kid had an illegal slam with the Fremont kids arm trapped and the Fremont kid was seriously injured. So they disqualified the Madison kid and then then whole thing turned into a mess. The kid from Fremont was going out in a stretcher and the Madison kids brother was jumping around and starting stuff in front of the Fremont fans and wrestlers while the Fremont wrestle was on a stretcher. Acting like they were crying like baby's because he didn't get up. I not from Fremont but I hope that kid is doing fine. As far as the Madison kid was in the middle of the mat flexing like he accomplished something. If I was there Dad or coach they would be off my team in a New York minute. To let both brothers act out like there life got taken from them while a kid is heading out on a stretcher. Maybe it's just me but I am not a fan of this immature behavior.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 01-08-17, 09:23 AM
88 Indian 88 Indian is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-03-12
Posts: 585
88 Indian is on a distinguished road
Wrestling is a microcosm of our society.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-08-17, 09:35 AM
goldberg goldberg is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-06-08
Posts: 218
goldberg is on a distinguished road
Thats horrible. Punks
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-08-17, 09:43 AM
Tartan78 Tartan78 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 03-17-15
Posts: 236
Tartan78 is on a distinguished road
The Madison Kids will learn karma's a *itch!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-08-17, 09:48 AM
chinwhip chinwhip is online now
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 03-14-11
Location: Panther town
Posts: 726
chinwhip is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ96 View Post
I was just wondering about sportsmanship and where it went. I was attending the JC Gorman tournament last night and saw the worst ever. I was watching the 132 pound championship between a Fremont Kid and a Madison kid. It was a great match and the worse thing could happen. The Madison kid had an illegal slam with the Fremont kids arm trapped and the Fremont kid was seriously injured. So they disqualified the Madison kid and then then whole thing turned into a mess. The kid from Fremont was going out in a stretcher and the Madison kids brother was jumping around and starting stuff in front of the Fremont fans and wrestlers while the Fremont wrestle was on a stretcher. Acting like they were crying like baby's because he didn't get up. I not from Fremont but I hope that kid is doing fine. As far as the Madison kid was in the middle of the mat flexing like he accomplished something. If I was there Dad or coach they would be off my team in a New York minute. To let both brothers act out like there life got taken from them while a kid is heading out on a stretcher. Maybe it's just me but I am not a fan of this immature behavior.
My kid came home and told me the exact same story. He said it was horrible.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-08-17, 10:24 AM
Hammerdrill Hammerdrill is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-28-13
Posts: 1,097
Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Wrestling, more than some other sports, seems to attract segments of our society who do not know how they should act. But there were lots of tournaments, and lots of matches this weekend, where nothing but great sportsmanship was shown.So I would say sportsmanship really hasn't gone anywhere. It still exists, far more often than it doesn't exist.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-08-17, 10:29 AM
MPhillips MPhillips is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-07-10
Location: Maggies Farm
Posts: 2,582
MPhillips is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdrill View Post
Wrestling, more than some other sports, seems to attract segments of our society who do not know how they should act.
What???
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-08-17, 10:34 AM
Hammerdrill Hammerdrill is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-28-13
Posts: 1,097
Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPhillips View Post
What???
It's a fighting sport, you are going to get rougher people than say are on the swim team or golf team. The antics I have seen at the youth/middle school/high school level in wrestling over the last 8 years, I have never seen in other sports my kids have played.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-08-17, 10:51 AM
Whizzer King Whizzer King is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-16-13
Posts: 1,248
Whizzer King is on a distinguished road
I think it now becomes the responsibility of the school to award the proper punishment for such tasteless behavior. This includes the brother as well.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-08-17, 10:53 AM
Hammerdrill Hammerdrill is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-28-13
Posts: 1,097
Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizzer King View Post
I think it now becomes the responsibility of the school to award the proper punishment for such tasteless behavior. This includes the brother as well.
Amen. We had an all out brawl take place at a league championship tournament one year. Nothing happened to the instigators.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-08-17, 11:07 AM
zeeman zeeman is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-22-11
Location: in a galaxy far far away
Posts: 5,323
zeeman is on a distinguished road
Wrestling is a highly emotional sport, especially for the parents. Sometimes it goes overboard and like an earlier poster said it is a microcosm of our society. I will say that I saw much more sportsmanship and commaraderi in this sport than I ever saw the ugliness.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-08-17, 11:17 AM
FirestoneFan FirestoneFan is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-02-02
Location: Suffield
Posts: 5,018
FirestoneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FirestoneFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeman View Post
Wrestling is a highly emotional sport, especially for the parents. Sometimes it goes overboard and like an earlier poster said it is a microcosm of our society. I will say that I saw much more sportsmanship and commaraderi in this sport than I ever saw the ugliness.
I have to agree with the comradery. Watching Rootstown and Waterloo yesterday along with the general friendliness of all competitors and fans means some of us know it is all about the kids.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-08-17, 11:40 AM
Coach Perkins Coach Perkins is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 12-21-16
Posts: 9
Coach Perkins is on a distinguished road
Totally disagree with Hammermill's comment about wrestling having the most disrespectful participants. Can't think of another sport that teaches the value of hard work, dedication, and respect as much as wrestling does. No doubt it is an emotional sport and this sport is certainly not for everyone, buy those that do stick with it have my utmost respect. Our athletes must be taught how to win and lose with class and for the majority of the time this is the case. From personal experience, I have seen far more athletes in other OHSAA sports arguing with and disrespecting their officials or referees. I have also seen many more parents and adults having to be escorted out of the gym due to their actions during the sporting event than I have at our wrestling tournaments. No wrestlers aren't perfect, but to say they are more disrespectful than other athletes is way off base.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-08-17, 11:50 AM
Whizzer King Whizzer King is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-16-13
Posts: 1,248
Whizzer King is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Perkins View Post
Totally disagree with Hammermill's comment about wrestling having the most disrespectful participants. Can't think of another sport that teaches the value of hard work, dedication, and respect as much as wrestling does. No doubt it is an emotional sport and this sport is certainly not for everyone, buy those that do stick with it have my utmost respect. Our athletes must be taught how to win and lose with class and for the majority of the time this is the case. From personal experience, I have seen far more athletes in other OHSAA sports arguing with and disrespecting their officials or referees. I have also seen many more parents and adults having to be escorted out of the gym due to their actions during the sporting event than I have at our wrestling tournaments. No wrestlers aren't perfect, but to say they are more disrespectful than other athletes is way off base.
Exactly. Im in total disagreement as well.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-08-17, 11:52 AM
Dell 112 Dell 112 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 02-09-09
Posts: 269
Dell 112 is on a distinguished road
That stinks, I have seen a few crazy scenes myself already this year.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-08-17, 12:01 PM
cruiser_96 cruiser_96 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-05-08
Posts: 3,730
cruiser_96 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Perkins View Post
Totally disagree with Hammermill's comment about wrestling having the most disrespectful participants. ...
Before I get any further in your post, can you quote where hammermill stated this?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-08-17, 12:03 PM
Champ96 Champ96 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 02-09-16
Posts: 11
Champ96 is on a distinguished road
I couldn't agree more that 90% of wrestlers are respectful and hardest workers in any sport. What I was trying to say the disrespectful Kid flexing in the middle of the mat when a kid is leaving on a stretcher is just fffnnn dumb. Then I read in the paper today that the Madison coached didn't like the call. If I was a coach and they asked me I would be more concerned about how the kid was doing and letting the paper know that I didn't appreciate how my kid and his brother was acting. That just shows me a lot about the Madison coach on how he is in the sport. Well I hope the kid from Fremont is ok. As far as the Madison kid and the coach they need help.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-08-17, 12:31 PM
szerszen szerszen is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-18-10
Posts: 450
szerszen is on a distinguished road
Kids act how you let them act.

If you want a team full of respectful wrestlers- that's on the coach and administration.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-08-17, 12:35 PM
Whizzer King Whizzer King is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-16-13
Posts: 1,248
Whizzer King is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ96 View Post
Then I read in the paper today that the Madison coached didn't like the call. If I was a coach and they asked me I would be more concerned about how the kid was doing and letting the paper know that I didn't appreciate how my kid and his brother was acting. That just shows me a lot about the Madison coach on how he is in the sport. Well I hope the kid from Fremont is ok. As far as the Madison kid and the coach they need help.
Wow!!! Incredible. Needs to be brought to the attention of school administration. Tasteless indeed.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-08-17, 01:02 PM
Irishtony Irishtony is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 04-21-16
Posts: 59
Irishtony is on a distinguished road
I was there and saw the whole thing...From the move that was applied to the aftermath. Firstly, the move by the Madison wrestler was not in any way purposeful. Secondly, it was a questionable call by the officials. The Madison wrestler did not slam, pick up or drive the Fremont wrestler to the mat. Both wrestlers were standing with the Madison wrestler behind and in control. He had the right arm of the Fremont wrestler trapped and tripped him to take him down. Both fell to their right but because the Fremont wrestlers armed was trapped, he couldn't put it out to catch himself. He land on his on his head and his neck took the brunt of the fall. It was a serious injury. The Fremont wrestler attempted to stand, but trainers and EMS took the necessary precautions and immobilized him and took him out.
The aftermath went like this....The Madison wrestler was hit with an unnecessary roughness and the Fremont wrestler was awarded a point, making the score 4-3 in favor of the Madison wrestler. When it became apparent that Fremont would not continue, Madison was dq'd. At no point did i see the Madison wrestler 'flex' his muscles or show any disrespect. He even shook the hand of the Fremont coach. It was his older brother (a spectator) who became agitated and then went off the deep end...Standing directly in front of the Fremont team and fans and mimicking a crying baby. It was obvious he intended to try and start an altercation when he tied his boots and started pacing like a caged animal. He should have been escorted from the gym well before it got to where it did and that's on the tournament directors and the police who were present. The Madison wrestler even made an attempt to get his brother out of the gym. It was ugly, but those kinds of incidents are bound to happen at awrestling tournament with such high emotion. It wouldn't have gotten as far as it did if a director or Madison coach would have ended it before it escalated. Kudos to the Fremont Ross team though for maintaining their composure. If that would have been my kid being wheeled out and he was taunting me I would have attacked him.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-08-17, 01:06 PM
damutha damutha is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 11-11-16
Posts: 1
damutha is on a distinguished road
Any word on how the Fremont Ross kid is doing?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-08-17, 01:19 PM
Coach Perkins Coach Perkins is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 12-21-16
Posts: 9
Coach Perkins is on a distinguished road
Cruiser, You are correct. He said our sport attracts those that don't know how to act. Don't agree with that statement compared to other sports either. Having said that, am very disappointed to hear of what happened to the Fremont wrestler. Hope he makes a full recovery and if the situation went down as described that the other wrestler has a just punishment. No way this can be allowed in our or any other sport.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-08-17, 01:49 PM
ProV1 ProV1 is online now
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 02-14-15
Posts: 858
ProV1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Perkins View Post
Cruiser, You are correct. He said our sport attracts those that don't know how to act. Don't agree with that statement compared to other sports either. Having said that, am very disappointed to hear of what happened to the Fremont wrestler. Hope he makes a full recovery and if the situation went down as described that the other wrestler has a just punishment. No way this can be allowed in our or any other sport.
I don't know that attracts is the right word. I will say that after going to more high school sporting events than I can count over the years, wresting has more physical confrontations and generally poor behavior from its fan base than other sports. There are just plain more incidents where people lose control. I don't think it is demographic thing but tend to agree with a previous poster that it has more to do with the physical 1 on 1 and proximity of fans that lead to it. That said, it is a huge minority that don't know how to act. It's just that this minority seems to present itself more in wrestling.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-08-17, 02:05 PM
Coach Maffey Coach Maffey is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 07-19-11
Posts: 113
Coach Maffey is on a distinguished road
This isn't a "wrestling" issue.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-08-17, 02:08 PM
ProV1 ProV1 is online now
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 02-14-15
Posts: 858
ProV1 is on a distinguished road
Agreed it is not a wrestling issue. There are jerks everywhere. It is just that those jerks who happen to be at a wrestling tournament tend to show themselves more for the previously discussed reasons.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-08-17, 02:44 PM
elliotlewis elliotlewis is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-29-07
Posts: 1,852
elliotlewis is on a distinguished road
Rule 1: Parents or Guardians.

Rule 3: If it makes it to Rule 2, go back to Rule 1.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-08-17, 03:05 PM
MPhillips MPhillips is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-07-10
Location: Maggies Farm
Posts: 2,582
MPhillips is on a distinguished road
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-08-17, 04:35 PM
TheFan1 TheFan1 is online now
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 02-06-10
Posts: 651
TheFan1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPhillips View Post
Drop the mic.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-08-17, 04:48 PM
cruiser_96 cruiser_96 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-05-08
Posts: 3,730
cruiser_96 is on a distinguished road
As long as we're complaining...

Clean up after yourself! I shouldn't walk into a cafeteria and see what I see. Not when it is WRESTLERS who are in there. I should not walk into a restroom and be shocked at the sight. Not when it's WRESTLERS who are utilizing the restrooms. And for the love of all things sacred, take your trash from the bleachers yourself! I should NOT have to carry HANDFULS of someone else's trash to the receptacle just so I can sit in the bleachers. Not when it is a WRESTLING EVENT that's going on.

Figure it out!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-08-17, 04:56 PM
TheFan1 TheFan1 is online now
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 02-06-10
Posts: 651
TheFan1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser_96 View Post
As long as we're complaining...

Clean up after yourself! I shouldn't walk into a cafeteria and see what I see. Not when it is WRESTLERS who are in there. I should not walk into a restroom and be shocked at the sight. Not when it's WRESTLERS who are utilizing the restrooms. And for the love of all things sacred, take your trash from the bleachers yourself! I should NOT have to carry HANDFULS of someone else's trash to the receptacle just so I can sit in the bleachers. Not when it is a WRESTLING EVENT that's going on.

Figure it out!

Wow!!! Agree 1000%, could be a whole thread on this... But guessing to no avail.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turpin (4-0) vs. Walnut Hills (4-0) RollDamnTide Football 33 09-25-16 07:19 PM
Has anyone written to the OHSAA board about... NWIndianNation01 Football 112 10-18-15 07:42 PM
Chl basketball 2014-2015 chlnewbie Boys Basketball 313 10-08-15 08:10 PM
Running up the score. Uncle Ted General Board 249 01-23-15 10:37 AM
7Hills vs SCD scouting report soccerlogic Boys Soccer 83 11-06-14 07:28 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz