Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-09-17, 12:22 PM
All American

Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
People who don't know you can turn left on a red light if the street you're turning onto and the street you're turning off of are one ways.
Old 01-09-17, 12:38 PM
Junior Varsity

bob99 is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
People who don't know you can turn left on a red light if the street you're turning onto and the street you're turning off of are one ways.
Thanks for the education! That don't come up too much here in Amish country
Old 01-09-17, 12:43 PM
All American

Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
May want to check on that depending on the state you're in
Old 01-09-17, 12:50 PM
All Ohio

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
May want to check on that depending on the state you're in
Interesting - from the link below:

"The following states as well as one city and two territories do not permit a left turn at a red light:

Connecticut
Missouri
New York City (also no Right on Red)
North Carolina
Rhode Island
New Jersey
South Dakota (Unless allowed by local ordinance)
Maine
New Hampshire
District of Columbia
Guam"

https://axleaddict.com/safety/Obscur...e-is-no-excuse
Old 01-09-17, 02:18 PM
All American

HHW96
When a stop signal has a turn arrow, it goes green and everyone waits until the car in front of them is 3-4 car lengths away before they begin accelerating. It's okay to let off the brake and begin rolling people. In fact, if we all did that, a number of cars would not have to wait additional cycles of the light to get through.
Old 01-09-17, 02:56 PM
All Ohio

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok, I need some education here. At some lights, there are RED arrows now. What does that mean? Does it mean you can turn if it's clear???
Old 01-09-17, 02:59 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Ok, I need some education here. At some lights, there are RED arrows now. What does that mean? Does it mean you can turn if it's clear???
It means you put your car in RACE mode (its the R on the gear shift panel) and go like crazy.

My pet peeve is just those who slow down, speed up. Keep a somewhat constant speed. Geesh
Old 01-09-17, 03:13 PM
All Ohio

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
One thing i've noticed, is some of the most calm people have road rage?? And i've come to understand that type A personalities are the worst.

Why?? They like to be in control. Look, if you are in that big of a hurry to get everywhere, everytime, please leave 20 minutes early everywhere you go.

It's TRAFFIC. Relax, you'll get where you are going.
Old 01-09-17, 03:18 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
One thing i've noticed, is some of the most calm people have road rage?? And i've come to understand that type A personalities are the worst.

Why?? They like to be in control. Look, if you are in that big of a hurry to get everywhere, everytime, please leave 20 minutes early everywhere you go.

It's TRAFFIC. Relax, you'll get where you are going.
I am as calm as calm can be. I dont get road rage per say, but when I drive in cities it just gets to me. I absolutely hate how long everything takes. Each light, each block. I just dont understand how they do it. Maybe that is why many of you city folk are just plain idiots.
Old 01-09-17, 09:15 PM
All Ohio

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
#1 turn signal. I am a huge turn signal guy. They are there for a reason so use it.
#2 the passer. there are two of these, 1) the guy who passes you up and then cuts in front of you just to slow down to turn left. 2) this is the guy that weaves in and out of traffic but never really gets anywhere. they get stuck at each red light and you catch up to them and even pass them just to see them repeat it over and over again.

#3 tailgater.
1] Always good, but especially good in heavy traffic. Other drivers are not mind readers - no more that you are.

2] One of my old pet peeves is a variation on this: two lanes of traffic, one going each way with no wiggle room. Driver is stopped at side street and allows three or four vehicles in front of you to pass before pulling out. No one behind you. Pulls out directly in front of you and goes one or two blocks. Stops to make left hand turn against traffic. On a funnier note, I agree with you second example. I actually bet with myself that I will catch up or pass that "stop and go" driver while maintaining a safe speed. Can be quite amusing.

3] As others have noted, tailgating is a classic. Not only a short-term tailgater, but also those that are on your butt for miles. I can't tell how many times I have (safely) slowed down a bit to entice the jerk to pass only to watch him slide up behind the next guy. Unbelievable. Is it some kind of social bonding ritual? Life is interesting.....

Last edited by EagleGuy; 01-09-17 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Add spacing.
Old 01-10-17, 12:52 AM
All American

Possessed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
I am as calm as calm can be. I dont get road rage per say, but when I drive in cities it just gets to me. I absolutely hate how long everything takes. Each light, each block. I just dont understand how they do it. Maybe that is why many of you city folk are just plain idiots.
I can agree with this. I frequent New York and DC regularly. I don't know how they keep from killing each other.
Old 01-10-17, 11:26 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
People......
Old 01-10-17, 11:38 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest is on a distinguished road
Drivers with dogs or other pets in their lap. It's a distraction as bad as texting.
Old 01-11-17, 08:29 PM
All American

Con_Alma is an unknown quantity at this point
...people who don't acknowledge the difference between yield and merge...especially on highway entrance ramps.
Old 01-12-17, 06:43 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Traffic merge, signs for miles telling everyone to merge, most people "get the process", and there are always A holes that want to speed up to the front and creep in, and they always get in. Drives me nuts.

I get defensive driving, sure beats offensive driving that you have in many other countries but we have gone overboard to the point that most people struggle to merge efficiently. My wife has to pump the breaks and turn her head to physically look into the lane she wants to merge.

Another newer one is people texting and driving. Especially at red lights playing on their phone and do not realize the light is green until it is darn near yellow.
I love it when a trucker or other driver moves over to block those who feel they are more important or more anxious to get to their destination than everyone else. Thank goodness most drivers get it and are considerate!
Old 01-13-17, 12:13 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
I love it when a trucker or other driver moves over to block those who feel they are more important or more anxious to get to their destination than everyone else. Thank goodness most drivers get it and are considerate!
It's great how smoothly the traffic flows once there are no more idiots ahead of you making everyone brake for their forced re-entry to the through lane.
Old 01-13-17, 09:15 AM
All Ohio

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
After yesterday's debacle - a one-hour drive from Columbus to Delaware taking 2.5 hours - it is the folks driving 25-30 mph in the left lane (clear surface), with no one in front of them, holding up a string of 20 cars for several miles, instead of moving over to the middle or right lane, where the other more cautious folks belong when there is a bit of snow falling. The lanes were clean.
Incredibly, I had this happen again yesterday afternoon in the same place on I-270 during rush hour. Some idiot in a grayish-looking car - might have been the same guy from last week - was holding up the far left lane, while folks behind him were looking to pass the ones doing 60 (limit was 65) in the other two lanes so they could get around him. This guy was going steady at 60 with no one in front of him, and showed no sign of wanting to move over.

When I finally found an opening to the right and was able to move around him and get back up to the speed limit, I glanced over and you guessed it - he was just chatting away on his cellphone, oblivious to traffic. Grrr.
Old 01-13-17, 09:39 AM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enough
My experience is that most of you can't drive.
Old 01-13-17, 09:40 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
ditto
Old 01-13-17, 10:20 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
They are awful, aren't they ?
Old 01-13-17, 10:37 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
You've all seen them, then again maybe you didn't...

People who drive gray (smoke, pewter, silver) colored cars at
dusk, earily dawn, and/or rainy days with NO lights on!!!

Almost invisible.

(dark colors... Black/Blue/Green also fit in there too)

:>---

SALT
Old 01-13-17, 12:21 PM
All American

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Pull out in front of me and go slow. With no one behind me to boot!
Old 01-13-17, 01:04 PM
All Region

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
When traffic is backed up on a highway and people go for miles on the shoulder passing everyone. So I block those people
Old 01-13-17, 01:10 PM
Varsity

Foul Pinebomb is an unknown quantity at this point
Shake my head at a four-way when I give the courtesy flash of the high-beams when we get there at the same time and the moron sits there or flashes back. Christ, just go.
Old 01-13-17, 01:22 PM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
I generally dislike when people in front of me drive slower than the speed at which I'd like to go
Old 01-13-17, 03:03 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Traffic merge, signs for miles telling everyone to merge, most people "get the process", and there are always A holes that want to speed up to the front and creep in, and they always get in. Drives me nuts.
They are actually the ones doing it right, though I tend to bow to peer pressure. It's not brain surgery: open unused lane is wasted space. Wasted space backs up traffic. The problem is first, the placing of the merge signs, too far before the need to merge. And it's trucks that cannot stop and start without leaving huge gaps in the line. A car SHOULD go fill in those gaps.

I don't play traffic cop. If someone wants to run along the shoulder to get to the next exit, makes sense to let them do it. Get's them out of the traffic flow. If someone comes late to the merge but are respectful enough to use the blinker, I'll let them in. Not everyone knows the local highway traffic patterns and I'd rather they be able to get on their way, without getting lost. Lost people are traffic nightmares. Trucks particularly, now that they've become GPS listeners instead of map readers, get the needed information too late to join the merge point set up two miles back by the lemmings that don't realize you merge at the merge, not five miles before the merge.

The thing with merges I'd like to see them do is to treat them as they are: venturis. They should tell traffic to speed up, not slow down in the construction zone. High concrete barriers and any grandpas going 50 gets the spring loaded ramp treatment into a ditch.
Old 01-13-17, 07:21 PM
All Ohio

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
When traffic is backed up on a highway and people go for miles on the shoulder passing everyone. So I block those people
Good man! You may be saving lives. Dangerous and extremely inconsiderate of these "elites". (See Gneiss Rocks' post above).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: