Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-06-17, 10:24 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Traffic Pet Peeves

May be covering some ground previously trekked, but...

What are your three biggest pet peeves while driving? And, does counting to ten and counting your blessings help "smooth your feathers"?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-17, 10:36 PM
All World

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
When I let someone out and I don't get a waive. Biggest pet peeve.
When semis are In both lanes on the highway going the same speed.
When I try and get in the right lane to exit and nobody will let me merge over and I miss the exit
Old 01-06-17, 10:39 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
#1 has to be the 53 mph texters in the left lane of the highway - camped out there because they won't overtake anyone other than my ex-wife's white-knuckled mother....who would be #2....

Last edited by cabezadecaballo; 01-07-17 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-06-17, 10:46 PM
All Ohio

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
After yesterday's debacle - a one-hour drive from Columbus to Delaware taking 2.5 hours - it is the folks driving 25-30 mph in the left lane (clear surface), with no one in front of them, holding up a string of 20 cars for several miles, instead of moving over to the middle or right lane, where the other more cautious folks belong when there is a bit of snow falling. The lanes were clean.

Second pet peeve: traffic reporters who keep saying "you've got a 10 to 12 minute delay" no matter what the actual conditions are.
Old 01-06-17, 11:36 PM
All Yappi

the_big_toe will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
When I try and get in the right lane to exit and nobody will let me merge over and I miss the exit
+1

They're basically forcing you to cut them off. And for what??? It's not like they get to their destination any sooner.
Old 01-07-17, 08:08 AM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
1. tailgating
2. left lane cruisers
3. not getting up to speed on freeway entrance ramps (aka the "acceleration lane").
Old 01-07-17, 08:34 AM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
^This.
Number 2 is when someone pulls out in front of me when there's another lane available that no one is in.
Old 01-07-17, 09:22 AM
All Yappi

Uncle Ted is on a distinguished road
When someone merging speeds up to pass you and merge just to drive slower than you.
Old 01-07-17, 09:24 AM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitybuckeye View Post
3. not getting up to speed on freeway entrance ramps (aka the "acceleration lane").
This tops my list. They don't realize it's far more dangerous to go 40 when merging than 60.
Old 01-07-17, 09:40 AM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
#1 turn signal. I am a huge turn signal guy. They are there for a reason so use it.
#2 the passer. there are two of these, 1) the guy who passes you up and then cuts in front of you just to slow down to turn left. 2) this is the guy that weaves in and out of traffic but never really gets anywhere. they get stuck at each red light and you catch up to them and even pass them just to see them repeat it over and over again.

#3 tailgater.
Old 01-07-17, 10:34 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest is on a distinguished road
When those geese cross the roads. Their owners should be fined.
Old 01-07-17, 10:38 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
#1 Folks sticking their mobile device against their ear and talking while trying to park a car. Almost all cars have blue tooth now, use it.

#2 Cars not yielding to pedestrians in a cross walk that is lit up with signs saying yield to pedestrians crossing.

#3 Slow driving bald old guys in hot sports cars.
Old 01-07-17, 11:08 AM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
1). Camped out and driving slow in the left lane. Regardless of the speed limit it is referred to as THE PASSING LANE.

2). People who turn left but get all the way over to the right so no one can pass on the berm. Or people turning right, waiting for the light to turn green, even though there is not a "no turn on red" sign.

3). Women cannot drive as it is , then they feel that drive time is talk time and get on their cell phone. Just doubles down on the problem.
Old 01-07-17, 11:20 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
1. Inability to operate a turn signal
2. Inability to disable the "brights" while immersed in traffic
Old 01-07-17, 02:02 PM
All World

Sykotyk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
1). Camped out and driving slow in the left lane. Regardless of the speed limit it is referred to as THE PASSING LANE.

2). People who turn left but get all the way over to the right so no one can pass on the berm. Or people turning right, waiting for the light to turn green, even though there is not a "no turn on red" sign.

3). Women cannot drive as it is , then they feel that drive time is talk time and get on their cell phone. Just doubles down on the problem.
Not every jurisdiction allows right on red (NYC being the most notable). The problem is the plethora of signage indicating you CAN turn right on red "after stop" that gives the impression to some people that a sign or arrow is required. And some are just REALLY skittish about pulling out into traffic unless there is LITERALLY nobody coming down the cross road.

My personal pet peeve is when there's an exit ramp or right turn, and there's a line of vehicles turning, and some A-hole drives up the next lane toward the end and stops with their turn signal on trying to get into the lane, which backs up the second lane of traffic as well. And yet they think they're some sort of driving savant.
Old 01-07-17, 02:38 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
When those geese cross the roads. Their owners should be fined.
Did you ever notice that if you slow down, they slow down - and that if you speed up, they speed up ?

Last edited by cabezadecaballo; 01-07-17 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-07-17, 02:44 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
Not every jurisdiction allows right on red (NYC being the most notable). The problem is the plethora of signage indicating you CAN turn right on red "after stop" that gives the impression to some people that a sign or arrow is required. And some are just REALLY skittish about pulling out into traffic unless there is LITERALLY nobody coming down the cross road.

My personal pet peeve is when there's an exit ramp or right turn, and there's a line of vehicles turning, and some A-hole drives up the next lane toward the end and stops with their turn signal on trying to get into the lane, which backs up the second lane of traffic as well. And yet they think they're some sort of driving savant.
that reminds me of another.... people turning left on a green arrow, the light turns red but they keep coming holding up traffic that now has the green light....
Old 01-07-17, 02:54 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
that reminds me of another.... people turning left on a green arrow, the light turns red but they keep coming holding up traffic that now has the green light....
It's OK if they had been able to creep out past the white "stop bar" and into the intersection, right ? It only aggravates me if they pull a train.
Old 01-07-17, 03:13 PM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
Traffic merge, signs for miles telling everyone to merge, most people "get the process", and there are always A holes that want to speed up to the front and creep in, and they always get in. Drives me nuts.

I get defensive driving, sure beats offensive driving that you have in many other countries but we have gone overboard to the point that most people struggle to merge efficiently. My wife has to pump the breaks and turn her head to physically look into the lane she wants to merge.

Another newer one is people texting and driving. Especially at red lights playing on their phone and do not realize the light is green until it is darn near yellow.
Old 01-07-17, 07:27 PM
All American

Quote:
When semis are In both lanes on the highway going the same speed.
1] This would be a candidate for my top three. I also like to flash my lights quickly to let another driver know when they can safely merge in front of me. And, give a quick left turn signal, right turn signal as a "thank you".
Old 01-07-17, 07:48 PM
Fake coolin' off

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitybuckeye View Post
1. tailgating
2. left lane cruisers
^This is a good list.

Pretty funny some people listed #1 people not waving. That doesn't bother me at all.
Old 01-07-17, 07:50 PM
Fake coolin' off

Also people in rusted old pickups still covered in soot swinging baseball bats at me while I'm riding my bike.
Old 01-07-17, 08:17 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
It's OK if they had been able to creep out past the white "stop bar" and into the intersection, right ? It only aggravates me if they pull a train.
No problem with that it is the 2 to 3 cars that follow that get me....
Old 01-07-17, 08:23 PM
All Yappi

Uncle Ted is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Also people in rusted old pickups still covered in soot swinging baseball bats at me while I'm riding my bike.
I get the funny feeling you mean me. I got the soot of my truck but not the rust, I also grabbed a longer bat. Can't wait for spring.
Old 01-07-17, 09:37 PM
Fake coolin' off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
I get the funny feeling you mean me. I got the soot of my truck but not the rust, I also grabbed a longer bat. Can't wait for spring.
Some short stocky guy in an Elder cutoff shirt chases me too. Pretty funny.
Old 01-08-17, 09:56 AM
All Region

gneiss rocks is on a distinguished road
People using the emergency lane in a traffic jam.

Once a guy behind me kept peaking out and finally gunned out into the emergency lane just as a firetruck was flying up. Pealed a bunch of nozzles and chrome stuff off...I thought the firefighters were gonna get the axe out and use it on him, the were a bit upset.
Old 01-08-17, 10:47 AM
All District

coldshoulder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
2). People who turn left but get all the way over to the right so no one can pass on the berm.
Along those some lines, someone who needs to turn left at a signalized four-way intersection. Invariably, these "drivers" are at the front of the line at the red light. When it turns to green, they refuse to move up into the middle of the intersection, which would allow traffic behind them to maneuver around them on the right--providing they're not too far to the right, as irish_buffalo mentioned--in order to proceed through the intersection.
Old 01-08-17, 06:23 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
#1 Folks sticking their mobile device against their ear and talking while trying to park a car. Almost all cars have blue tooth now, use it.

#2 Cars not yielding to pedestrians in a cross walk that is lit up with signs saying yield to pedestrians crossing.

#3 Slow driving bald old guys in hot sports cars.
So, can't afford the sports car? LOL.

My biggest peeve is that half of the people are driving too slow and half are driving too fast.
Old 01-08-17, 07:32 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
This tops my list. They don't realize it's far more dangerous to go 40 when merging than 60.
Doesn't happen often, but worse yet are the folks who come to a dead stop. Well yeah, now that you're at a dead stop I can see why you're afraid to pull out! Little old ladies in my experience. Each time this happens, I see myself becoming part of an "accordion sandwich". And then, you - and everyone behind you - has to stick your neck out and kick it!

[Happens to me on short, abrupt acceleration and combination accel/exit ramps]. Time to park it...

Last edited by EagleGuy; 01-08-17 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Add.
Old 01-09-17, 12:09 PM
Junior Varsity

bob99 is on a distinguished road
I hate having two lanes at a stop sign. I will pull up to the white line at a stop sign and start looking for an opening in the traffic to continue out. Then some A-hole will pull up in the next lane and pull out past the white line so he can see both lanes of traffic blocking my view of one of the lanes of traffic so I am stuck and can't get out. Whatever happened to first come first serve? It's even worst at a red light and you are in the right hand turn lane. Some jerk will pull up in the left land halfway under the red light. Even if you have turn right on red laws you can't use it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: