Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-09-17, 08:16 AM
All World

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Casdyshack is great. I can only reserve 8s for a few select movies or shows. Less than a handful for me.
Old 01-09-17, 12:25 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Gojira ni-sen mireniamu (Japan-1999)

Kaiju: A strange rock object is found at the ocean floor that is dated to be over 60 million years old. An attempt is made to bring it to the surface but the object releases itself and surfaces. Thought to be a UFO of some sort they keep close tabs on it. Meanwhile Godzilla is once again taking out its fury on Tokyo. Eventually the two meet up and we get to meet Orga. Orga which is an old space monster that comes from the UFO, well, sort of.... is very old and struggles with the Earth's atmosphere. The battle is on. Godzilla 2000 does not share the same universe with the other Godzilla movies with the exception of the first. This was a pretty good Kaiju flick but the ending was less to be desired... 5.0/8
Old 01-09-17, 12:31 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Watched Gravity during my flight Friday. Thought it was horrendous. 2.5/8
Old 01-09-17, 12:44 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Our Brand Is Crisis: 4.25/8

Not all that entertaining, and the ending is kind of dumb and rushed. While it was likely based on a true story, they do a poor job of explaining her motivations at the end of the movie.
Old 01-09-17, 01:19 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Passengers 4/8

I guess the best description of this movie is Castaway + Chick Flick + SciFi disaster movie. A weird combination that splits the movie into 3 distinct acts (that do not work as well as the writers/producers/director wanted it to).

The acting is fine, not tremendous, though Pratt and JLaw have good chemistry.

I enjoyed the first 30 or so minutes the most. Pratt can handle being the loner pretty well and provided decent depth of emotion, internal conflict, and entertainment. It kind of goes downhill over next hour once JLaw's character is introduced. It's not that the character is annoying or her performance is bad, I'm just not sure their interaction was entirely necessary in this film. If they had made a full-length film out of the first 30 or so minutes + what happens after Laurence Fishburne's character arrives, I can't say it wouldn't have been better.

Overall, I do not think it is deserving of all the harsh reviews. It's not great, but it's certainly not a 31% (RT) or 41% (MC).
Old 01-09-17, 09:46 PM
All Yappi

End of the World (1977)

Horror/SciFi: A scientist who listens for patterns in space noise finally discovers a message that warns of disasters. This one had a very bad rating on IMDB but I did not think it was that bad... 3.5/8
Old 01-10-17, 03:08 AM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
The Salvation - 6/8

Pretty good western. Mads Mikkelsen is the man, don't think I've ever disliked a movie with him in it. And Eva Green is still a babe even when her face is destroyed
Old 01-12-17, 07:27 PM
All Yappi

Creatures of the Canyon (1972)

Horror: Misleading title.... A woman forces her husband to get rid of his dog who finds a home with their neighbors. Following her husband's death she is now terrorized by the dog fearing that the dog Adam blames her. I did not care for the acting of the leading lady plus I was expecting a creature feature based on the title and that kind of blew it for me.... 3.0/8
Old 01-14-17, 08:23 PM
All Yappi

The Night of the Strangler (1972)

Horror/Exploitation: The title is misleading but this is about a feud between two brothers that turns deadly for those around them. Micky Dolenz thats right of the Monkees is one of the brothers... 5.5/8

The Children (1980)

Horror: One day the children of a small New England town don't come home from school. Nobody knows where they have gone but gruesome looking bodies soon start turning up and it is up to the sheriff to figure it all out. Beware, there is something wrong with the children... What a find this low budget B'Movie was and no the 2008 movie with the same title is not a remake of this... This film also has the same music score as Friday the 13th!!!! ... 6.5/8

Old 01-15-17, 03:41 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
All the Way- 6.5/8- an HBO movie about Lyndon Johnson from Kennedy's assassination to his 1964 election. Bryan Cranston plays LBJ. Very well done. One of the better movies I've seen recently.
It has been a Brian Cranston month. Last night, I watched Trumbo (2015), a true story about a Hollywood screenwriter blacklisted for his communist beliefs. Very well done. 7/8.
Old 01-15-17, 09:22 PM
Cooling Off

Possessed is on a distinguished road
"Patriot's Day". Great movie. Go see it or catch the next thing smoking to somewhere else.
Old 01-16-17, 10:40 AM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Manchester by the Sea - 4.5/8

I actually like sad movies, but this was way too depressing. This is sadness of the utterly tragic, hopeless variety.

Good performances and writing, but just not a fun watch
Old 01-16-17, 10:50 AM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Deepwater Horizon (2016) - Very action packed and dramatic film. When we all watched the events of the BP oil spill we knew there had to be a bigger story to be told than just oily seabirds. What about the men and women on that oil rig? Well this film answers that question in a big way. Very well done. Always good to see John Malkovich work.

6/8
Old 01-16-17, 11:57 AM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Deepwater Horizon - 3/8

Pretty standard Hollywood "based on a true story" movie. Acting was OK, story was pretty bland and predictable. There wasn't really any tension or excitement since everything was telegraphed from a mile away.
Old 01-16-17, 03:38 PM
All Ohio

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
"Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" - 6/8

Saw it last night at the bargain theater. This one is just out there - I'd love to see inside author Ransom Riggs' mind to see where he came up with this. Director Tim Burton did an outstanding making it to come to life on the big screen - maybe too outstanding. And a couple of the timetable changes were hard to keep track of.

My wife and I thought it would be a bit lighter than it was. The children were portrayed in a very likable and lovable manner, even though some of them were just plain scary to look at. And having kids keep a grotesque corpse around on the top floor of an old house and mechanically making it come to life with a demonic expression - just for fun - is, well, probably not for most kids. Asa Butterfield plays the young hero with the same low-key bewilderment as Logan Lerman in the "Percy Jackson" series..

But visuals? Breathtakingly intense. My wife is always warning me that I'll have nightmares after watching movies like this late at night, and for once, she was right. Maybe not a nightmare, but a dream where things happen that I could definitely attribute to events in the movie.
Old 01-16-17, 03:57 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
Deepwater Horizon - 3/8

Pretty standard Hollywood "based on a true story" movie. Acting was OK, story was pretty bland and predictable. There wasn't really any tension or excitement since everything was telegraphed from a mile away.
Interesting perspective. I, not being a geologist or a petrochemical engineer, knew little about how deepwater oil is extracted. So, there were many intersting angles to my way of thinking. Also, not knowing who was going to make it and who wouldn't kept me interested since the film did a good job of making me care about several of the characters.

Peter Berg did a good job on the action scenes also.

Sorry you did not enjoy it as much as I did.
Old 01-16-17, 04:06 PM
All World

Pennies From Heaven (1981) - An innovative and, I thought, entertaining film. I love music from the 20's and 30's and I love 1930's dance films. My wife enjoys a good Fred Astair or Gene Kelly film, but is not too big on popular music of that era, so she did not like the film. Steve Martin was wonderful as the talented entertainer he is and Bernadette Peters does her Broadway best. The real surprise was Christopher Walken doing a tap dance/strip tease on a pool table.

Walken's dance routine is found here:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...5b&action=view

4.5/8

Last edited by Purplemojo; 01-17-17 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-17-17, 01:24 AM
All World

BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
Passengers 3/8

Boring, poor acting, and over the top for the sake of being over the top.
Old 01-17-17, 12:24 PM
All World

Rollerball (1975) - I enjoyed this film in 1975 when I first saw it. It is very dated today. I still liked James Caan's performance and the actual game sequences. I remember as a kid thinking it would be a fun game to play, as long as the rules are enforced.

4/8
Old 01-17-17, 11:05 PM
All Yappi

Murderock - Uccide a passo di danza (Italy-1984)

Giallo: When word gets out that only 3 dancers at an elite dance school will get a job of a lifetime opportunity the competition is on and so is the body count. Not one of Fulci's bests.... 2.5/8

Bakterion (Italy-1982)

Horror: Small England town is quarantined when a germ warfare virus escapes containment turning a scientist into a mutant murdering monster. Had it's moments but the ending was weak. 3.0/8
Old 01-17-17, 11:08 PM
All Yappi

Witchcraft 13: Blood of the Chosen (2008)

Horror: Apparently this is actually the 13th movie of the series. I thought 13 was just part of the title and not a sequel number. Doesn't matter as this one was pitiful. Very poor audio and I stopped caring what was a happening. Well, someone is ripping peoples hearts out and a detective with powers investigates.... unwatchable but I made it.... 1.0/8
Old 01-18-17, 10:36 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
The Last Knights with Clive Owen and Morgan Freeman..... ZERO/EIGHT

Made it an hour in and pretty much nothing happens in whats described as a disgraced knight blah blah blah......

can't remember the last time I watched this bad this long
Old 01-20-17, 08:44 AM
All World

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Oasis:Supersonic- 6.25/8
Old 01-20-17, 08:46 PM
All Yappi

Time of Terror (1972)

Horror: A woman finally gets her hubby to agree to go on vacation. When she wakes the next day in the hotel she finds that the hubby is missing and has checked out. Shortly, she notices something is not quite right about this hotel.... 5.0/8
Old 01-20-17, 10:09 PM
All World

Patriot Day- 5.5.8. Cheesy dialogue and typical "everyman hero" performance by Wahlberg. However, this had some of the best action scenes I've seen in a long time. The shootout in Watertown was awesome as was the depiction in the immediate aftermath of the bombing.

Last edited by Descartes; 01-20-17 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-21-17, 07:48 PM
All Yappi

Gojira tai Megagirasu: Jî shômetsu sakusen (Japan-2000)

Kaiju: Godzilla vs Megaguirus. Scientist event a weapon that creates a small black hole in hopes to aim it at Godzilla in hopes to finally get rid of the giant reptile. After testing the weapon they noticed that it shortly leaves a time warp and of course something comes thru... Megaguirus a giant dragonfly like creature and the battle is on. The story and delivery was quite weak but the battle was pretty decent... 3.5/8

The Tractate Middoth (UK-2013)

Horror/Mystery: A librarian gets caught up in a mystery that involves and an old book, a will, and a ghostly presence... 5.0/8
Old 01-21-17, 08:21 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Sully 7/8 Best beginning since "Up in the Air," perfectly set up the movie. Mostly forgot I was even watching a movie. About the only time I fell out was the bar scene, because the actor playing the bar tender is noted for wanting to be in NYC movies. I can imagine he begged for the role.

I'm amazed when they can take something about real life, recent events with a happy ending and still make it tense. Apollo 13 was like that for me. I didn't think it would live up to any expectation but I'll watch this many times.
Old 01-22-17, 12:15 AM
All World

Sully- 6.5/8. Hanks was excellent
Old 01-22-17, 11:29 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Everybody Wants Some

7/8

If you liked "Dazed & Confused" you'll like this movie. This is Linklater at his best - funny with an uplifting message about people. If you attended college between 1976 - 1984 you'll enjoy the nostalgic experience as Linklater nails the culture of the time (like he did with Dazed).

What I liked the best about the movie though is how they don't stereotype the characters. Like the real world, the same person can be great one moment and a jerk the next. One interesting aspect of the movie was how easily the guys moved from one "culture" to another. They mixed equally well with folks at a disco; a C&W bar; a punk club and an artsy party.

BTW, this is how I remember the 70's/80's. Young people crossed cultural lines all the time and the "cliques" were never really exclusive. That's why I dislike the John Hughes "teen" movies where the divisions were at the center of the story. It always seemed fake to me as it wasn't what I experienced. Ditto that "jocks" were always dumb & shallow. Thankfully Linklater doesn't indulge in this kind of bias.

If you want to laugh out loud and wince at how poorly we used to dress check this movie out.
Old 01-22-17, 09:53 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Saving Private Ryan - 6/8 Today's war movies are so realistic.
Forrest Gump - 6.5/8 Great performance by Tom Hanks, imo.
Titanic (1997) - 6/8 What can I say? Tragic historical event.

Rarely watch movies (what's up with that?), but I binged yesterday and still sandwiched in a college bb game. Second time seeing FG. Amazing what I forgot over time.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: