Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-22-16, 01:41 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Solid meltdown. Good to know you'll melt over a week after I post.
Old 12-22-16, 02:33 PM
All Ohio

JoshuaRanch is an unknown quantity at this point
There you go odd ball, get your 20 meaningless posts a day in, sitting around doing nothing all day, waiting at your computer all day to throw your 11 year old barbs around, never an original thought coming out of your head. Keep it coming dummie, Yappi princess.
Old 12-22-16, 02:50 PM
All Yappi

I imagine ranch hand is reading my posts, but how funny would it be if he actually isn't and is just arguing with me because he sees my screen name show up? Lol.
Old 12-22-16, 07:28 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
I just put a down payment on my new Mars Ice House:

http://www.space.com/35101-mars-ice-home-design.html

Who needs timeshares in Florida!

Actually the design is very clever & plausible. The key is at it takes advantage of the substantial water found near the surface of Mars.
The new ideas for human habitats on Mars keep coming: from modular inflatable pods to ice houses using 3D printing. I wonder what the final look will be when we actually start exploring and colonizing Mars?

Still, I can't help but thinking of the loneliness and desolation for the first people on Mars. Even the artist rendition, in your link, makes life on Mars look horribly desolate. It would take a special person to volunteer to be the first.
Old 12-22-16, 07:57 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
Still, I can't help but thinking of the loneliness and desolation for the first people on Mars. Even the artist rendition, in your link, makes life on Mars look horribly desolate. It would take a special person to volunteer to be the first.
The first people who migrate to Mars will be a lot like the pioneers who staked out homesteads on the great plains after the Civil War. They will be propelled by the same drive that uprooted folks from the lush lands of Ohio, Indiana & Pennsylvania to take a chance at carving out a new life in the "barren" plains.

The first Martian colonists will be hardy folk and yes more than a few will die in various ways. Mental illness arising out of the sense of isolation will be a problem. But ultimately a new civilization will be built on their bones.
Old 12-23-16, 12:27 PM
All Yappi

I remember reading about this last year. It's a real mystery among astronomers why a distant star has dramatically dimmed in the last few years. Among the reasons thrown out is that maybe an alien civilization is constructing a mega-structure to capture solar energy?

http://www.space.com/35105-alien-meg...ti-search.html

This article updates the story and it has gotten even stranger. Maybe we are seeing the construction of a Dyson Sphere?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...knows-why.html

Another explanation is that a large interstellar dust cloud is passing between us and this star. If true that would indicate that extra solar events, like our solar system passing through a dust cloud, could have enormous effects on our CLIMATE by either dimming (entering dust cloud) or brightening (coming out of a dust cloud) our sun. I wonder if the climate "scientists" even factor this into their models?
Old 12-23-16, 05:50 PM
All World

Quote:
I remember reading about this last year. It's a real mystery among astronomers why a distant star has dramatically dimmed in the last few years. Among the reasons thrown out is that maybe an alien civilization is constructing a mega-structure to capture solar energy?

http://www.space.com/35105-alien-meg...ti-search.html

This article updates the story and it has gotten even stranger. Maybe we are seeing the construction of a Dyson Sphere?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...knows-why.html

Another explanation is that a large interstellar dust cloud is passing between us and this star. If true that would indicate that extra solar events, like our solar system passing through a dust cloud, could have enormous effects on our CLIMATE by either dimming (entering dust cloud) or brightening (coming out of a dust cloud) our sun. I wonder if the climate "scientists" even factor this into their models?
I remember all the excitement about this, too. Sometimes I wish scientists would just leave it at "we don't know what's causing the star's dimming", instead of speculating so much, but I'm sure it will be figured out pretty soon.
Old 12-23-16, 05:59 PM
All World

Quote:
The first people who migrate to Mars will be a lot like the pioneers who staked out homesteads on the great plains after the Civil War. They will be propelled by the same drive that uprooted folks from the lush lands of Ohio, Indiana & Pennsylvania to take a chance at carving out a new life in the "barren" plains.

The first Martian colonists will be hardy folk and yes more than a few will die in various ways. Mental illness arising out of the sense of isolation will be a problem. But ultimately a new civilization will be built on their bones.
I'm watching the new six part "Mars" series on National Geographic. Their take on how Mars would be colonized is that it would be very similar to humans in Antartica. First stage: we visit. Second stage: we explore, chart and map. Third: we set up manned science and research facilities. Forth: we colonize. We're currently at about third stage in Antartica (maybe even early in the forth), but we're still at step zero for Mars.
Old 12-23-16, 06:02 PM
All Ohio

bob22 is on a distinguished road
Maybe it's a Death Star? We better start building some X-Wings.

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk
Old 12-23-16, 06:06 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
Maybe it's a Death Star? We better start building some X-Wings.

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk
We'll need some really good pilots, too. Death Stars are notoriously difficult to defeat...not too many vulnerable spots.
Old 12-26-16, 08:54 AM
All Yappi

Here's some interesting news from space - China claims to have successfully tested an electromagnetic (EM) drive!

https://www.jerrypournelle.com/chaos...t-of-em-drive/

If true this is big news and represents a technological advance that will be important to pushing into the solar system. As I said before, the nation that leads the human exploration of the solar system will come to dominate the solar system.
Old 12-27-16, 06:04 PM
All Yappi

Here's some more interesting news from space:

http://www.sciencealert.com/6-more-m...ide-our-galaxy

We only FIRST detected one of these Fast Radio Bursts in 2007! Here's the truly mind blowing part of it:

Back in March, scientists detected 10 powerful bursts of radio signals coming from the same location in space. And now researchers have just picked up six more of the signals seemingly emanating from the same region, far beyond our Milky Way.

These fast radio bursts (FRB) are some of the most elusive and explosive signals ever detected from space - they only last milliseconds, but in that short period of time, they generate as much energy as the Sun in an entire day. But despite how powerful they are, scientists still aren't sure what causes them.

Now the "theory" (best guess) for what they are is two colliding neutron stars creating a black hole! My own theory is that they are the telltale signs of two great star spanning civilizations locked in a genocidal war and we are picking up signs of the destructive power of their weapons.
Old 12-28-16, 08:33 PM
All Yappi

While the Chinese remain far behind Russia & the USA in unmanned exploration of the planets they are definitely catching up:

http://www.click2houston.com/news/in...-mars-by-2020_

The solar system will belong to the nation that is bold enough to take it and the nation that takes the solar system will lead the human race.
Old 01-07-17, 09:07 AM
All Yappi

Another good reason to get our butts out into space, it's so damn amazing:

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/uncat...ute-to-merger/

Two stars are on a collision course that the astronomers politely are calling a MERGER!
Old 01-10-17, 10:19 AM
All Yappi

Another good reason to get our butts in space - It's dangerous putting all your eggs in one basket!

https://www.cnet.com/news/asteroid-2...th-moon-slooh/

That was a close miss by a previously unknown asteroid. Anytime one of these things whizzes by closer than the moon there is cause for concern and while this was not an extinction level threat it would have made a big boom (or splash) upon impact.
Old 01-10-17, 02:13 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
We don't know if it's possible for us to survive off of Earth for an extended period time both physically and psychologically. We can't underestimate our need to be outside, to interact with nature, etc. A lot of questions need to be answered.
Old 01-10-17, 02:20 PM
All Yappi

Anyone heard from ranch hand in a while?
Old 01-10-17, 03:50 PM
Save water....drink beer!

MoeDude is on a distinguished road
For anyone who is serious about a one way trip to Mars they could join this team:

The Mars One Team

I wish some of those loud mouths in Hollywood who threatened to leave the US if Trump won would join this group.
Old 01-10-17, 06:02 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
We don't know if it's possible for us to survive off of Earth for an extended period time both physically and psychologically. We can't underestimate our need to be outside, to interact with nature, etc. A lot of questions need to be answered.
That's my biggest concern. We'll soon have the technological knowhow to travel to Mars, but can our fragile human bodies and psyches survive the harsh conditions? We evolved and uniquely adapted to Earth's environment, not Mars. Even an environment as hostile as Antartica is a walk in the park compared to Mars.
Old 01-10-17, 09:37 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Humans have been conditioned to survive torture, have survived years of captivity... Could "we" survive the trip to Mars? Not me but I know there are plenty that could, if the physical deterioration can be mitigated.
Old 01-11-17, 09:58 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
That's my biggest concern. We'll soon have the technological knowhow to travel to Mars, but can our fragile human bodies and psyches survive the harsh conditions? We evolved and uniquely adapted to Earth's environment, not Mars. Even an environment as hostile as Antartica is a walk in the park compared to Mars.
This is a reasonable concern but it hasn't been proven to be a showstopper yet. My guess is that continued advances in medical and nano-engineering technologies will render it moot even if extended space exploration is limited by our current bodies. Check this out:

https://www.indy100.com/article/huma...nology-7521166

They've grown a beating human heart! By the time large scale settlement of Mars & the Moon occur in the next 100 - 200 years they will be able to alter human physiology to adopt to the conditions people face. In fact our advances in medical/biological sciences are outstripping the practical engineering advances needed for exploring the solar system.
Old 01-11-17, 10:39 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Was watching an interesting show on Pluto and the 2015 fly-by of the New Horizons spacecraft. Very detailed photos of a couple of volcanoes and a hypothesis that there is an ocean of water underneath the outer crust. Apparently the volcanoes are spewing water that actually heats up despite the frigid temps.

Only drawback was listening to the whippersnapper astronomers go over-the-top on the "primordial soup" of Pluto's atmosphere, as if living cells were about to spontaneously generate from compounds formed there.

Other than that, a pretty interesting program. Probably not going to see colonists go there anytime soon. It took Deep Horizons nine years to get there.
Old 01-11-17, 05:58 PM
All World

Quote:
This is a reasonable concern but it hasn't been proven to be a showstopper yet. My guess is that continued advances in medical and nano-engineering technologies will render it moot even if extended space exploration is limited by our current bodies. Check this out:

https://www.indy100.com/article/huma...nology-7521166

They've grown a beating human heart! By the time large scale settlement of Mars & the Moon occur in the next 100 - 200 years they will be able to alter human physiology to adopt to the conditions people face. In fact our advances in medical/biological sciences are outstripping the practical engineering advances needed for exploring the solar system.
Advances in medical, biological and nano technologies might be the answer. In fact, they might HAVE to be the answer for human bodies to survive in such unfriendly environments. But that kind of technology is a whole 'nuther (and a bit disconcerting) topic.

Think how cool it would be to live in the year 2217 and have so many more questions answered. By 2217, Scientology might be proven to be the right religion, after we discover Xenu living on Uranus.
Old 01-11-17, 07:18 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
Was watching an interesting show on Pluto and the 2015 fly-by of the New Horizons spacecraft. Very detailed photos of a couple of volcanoes and a hypothesis that there is an ocean of water underneath the outer crust. Apparently the volcanoes are spewing water that actually heats up despite the frigid temps.
Here is a cool article about the Pluto fly by:

http://www.sciencealert.com/nasa-has...00-metres-tall

They saw 500 meter high towers of water all over the planet. Either it's an amazing natural phenomena or an advance alien stockpile to support their impending invasion of the solar system.

Seriously though the fact they are finding that water is ubiquitous throughout the solar system is a big deal in terms of practical colonization.
Old 01-11-17, 07:22 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Advances in medical, biological and nano technologies might be the answer. In fact, they might HAVE to be the answer for human bodies to survive in such unfriendly environments. But that kind of technology is a whole 'nuther (and a bit disconcerting) topic.

Think how cool it would be to live in the year 2217 and have so many more questions answered. By 2217, Scientology might be proven to be the right religion, after we discover Xenu living on Uranus.
It would be very cool (& overwhelming) to see what the future holds 200 years from now. Think about what the reaction of a guy like Andrew Jackson would be if he was able to transport himself from the Battle of New Orleans to modern day America. To say he would be amazed is probably an understatement.
Old 01-11-17, 07:30 PM
All Yappi

Check this out:

http://www.space.com/35279-planet-hu...ri-update.html

The search for a planet in the habitable zone (HZ) around Alpha Centauri is heating up! Finding a planet in Alpha Centauri's HZ is a game changer. It would make a possible interstellar voyage feasible.
Old 01-13-17, 09:02 AM
All Yappi

A testament to how well we can build space craft:

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astro...ds-1101201623/

Voyager 2, which left the solar system in 2012, is making some extraordinary measurements on the composition and nature of the Interstellar Medium (IM). The IM is what they call the stuff between the stars. Since the ENTIRE solar system is MOVING rapidly through space the earth will pass through various types of IM.

According to the article Voyager 2 is currently in the "heliopause" which is a boundary region where our suns solar wind and the IM collide.

The whole article is a bit mind blowing and attests to the fact that while our bodies may be vulnerable in space our machines keep going and going and going!
Old 01-13-17, 09:45 AM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Can we all vote who from Yappi we can ship to Mars?

Wait, can they still post from there??
Old 01-13-17, 01:11 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Alpha Centauri is getting a bit ahead of ourselves. 1. It's a 1000 year journey at best for manned spacecraft. 2. Unless we have a way of getting there within a reasonable amlint of time, we run into the problem of technology on Earth advancing to the point during the journey that if new a crew left they'd beat the old crew to the destinatio
Old 01-13-17, 01:22 PM
All Region

domi is on a distinguished road
Just out of curiosity... Where's the funding going to come for all of this? It doesn't seem profitable for private business and the last time I checked our government wasn't sitting on a pile of money.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: