Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-27-16, 10:06 PM
All Yappi

jtk has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Duke 2016-2017

i know they are loaded.......but are they really the #1 team in america?

they always have the coach K factor on their side.

i just hope they rebound and improve their defense to win another one.

jtk
()
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-16, 11:51 PM
Cooling Off

Nelson Van Alden has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtk View Post
i know they are loaded.......but are they really the #1 team in america?

they always have the coach K factor on their side.

i just hope they rebound and improve their defense to win another one.

jtk
()
Yes, they are really the #1 team. Not only loaded with Frosh talent, but they've got the front runner for the Naismith is Allen plus Jefferson and Jones as Sr leaders. This is the most complete team since 2001.
Old 11-03-16, 02:20 AM
All Yappi

gobluetom can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Van Alden View Post
Yes, they are really the #1 team. Not only loaded with Frosh talent, but they've got the front runner for the Naismith is Allen plus Jefferson and Jones as Sr leaders. This is the most complete team since 2001.

I thought you were a Notre Dame fan?????
Old 11-03-16, 01:56 PM
All American

14Red is on a distinguished road
Fortunately for basketball, the polls mean absolutely nothing. This is nothing new, Duke has won 3 NCAA titles since 2000, but more often then not, they flame out. It's a little like Notre Dame in football. They are always pre season top 10, then by week 5 they are unranked.

The dynamics of college basketball is slowly changing. The NBA draft has become more about future potential than anything else. The first round is more international than ever before. There are just a handful of legit one and dones anymore.
Old 11-03-16, 04:19 PM
All World

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Luuuuuuke
Old 11-03-16, 04:49 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Fortunately for basketball, the polls mean absolutely nothing. This is nothing new, Duke has won 3 NCAA titles since 2000, but more often then not, they flame out. It's a little like Notre Dame in football. They are always pre season top 10, then by week 5 they are unranked.

The dynamics of college basketball is slowly changing. The NBA draft has become more about future potential than anything else. The first round is more international than ever before. There are just a handful of legit one and dones anymore.
when was the last time duke was unranked in basketball?

jtk
()
Old 11-03-16, 04:51 PM
All Yappi

i'll answer for you. last year was the first time duke fell out of the rankings since 2007-2008......LOL. your above statement is very flawed.

maybe m_b is correct in his writings about you.......

jtk
()
Old 11-04-16, 06:42 AM
Cooling Off

Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
Yeah, that was an incredibly dumb post. ND hasn't won a title since what, '88? Duke has 3 since 2000. That right there automatically makes them nothing like ND.
Old 11-08-16, 12:23 PM
All Yappi

marques bolden now injured and to miss time.

jtk
()
Old 11-13-16, 01:14 AM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
marques bolden now injured and to miss time.

jtk
()
At this rate, K may have to suit up!

Go Duke, beat Carolina (above all else)!
Old 11-13-16, 11:55 PM
All World

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Tatum will be back for Tuesday's game. Looks like Giles and Bolden are still indefinite, but likely just being held out for precaution.
Old 11-14-16, 12:59 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
Tatum will be back for Tuesday's game. Looks like Giles and Bolden are still indefinite, but likely just being held out for precaution.
Coach won't rush it. May allow others to gain experience and offer a look at what they can do.

I do wish he would give more than eight guys substantial playing time. Maybe this year.
Old 11-14-16, 11:11 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
Coach won't rush it. May allow others to gain experience and offer a look at what they can do.

I do wish he would give more than eight guys substantial playing time. Maybe this year.
They go 8 Deep without the 3 superstar Frosh. I agree they shouldn't rush any of them back, but Tatum was cleared to play Sat., they chose to sit him.
Old 11-15-16, 11:35 PM
All World

Allen seems to struggle shooting in NBA arenas. He totally disappeared vs UK in last year's game at MSG. Duke looks sloppy as hell, but you have to think this team will get vastly better if/when the 3 Frosh Return.

It is frustrating seeing Duke struggle knowing Tatum could probably play, but it's November and these games really don't count.
Old 11-15-16, 11:40 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

it looks like he's only played 6 guys tonight....LOL.

i do notice a different attitude with this team. if jeter and jefferson can be productive this season i definitely see them as a contender...although they don't look it tonight, but how often will you see allen go 1 for 11 shooting?

jtk
()
Old 11-16-16, 12:08 AM
All World

Quote:
it looks like he's only played 6 guys tonight....LOL.

i do notice a different attitude with this team. if jeter and jefferson can be productive this season i definitely see them as a contender...although they don't look it tonight, but how often will you see allen go 1 for 11 shooting?

jtk
()
They nearly beat a top 5 team playing with their JV squad. Hopefully Kansas enjoys this win when they make their annual early exit from the tournament.
Old 11-16-16, 07:58 AM
Cooling Off

Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
What a hell of a game. Very fun to watch. Duke will be just fine.
Old 11-16-16, 09:25 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
What a hell of a game. Very fun to watch. Duke will be just fine.
I wish they'd play these games in Jan/Feb so we could see both teams when they're playing at a higher level. These November bball games are just icky.
Old 11-16-16, 11:19 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
They nearly beat a top 5 team playing with their JV squad. Hopefully Kansas enjoys this win when they make their annual early exit from the tournament.
i know that, i just wish he would utilize more than 6 guys, especially early in the season. you never know when the injury bug will hit again, and they aren't getting anything by sitting on the bench. hell, i think he has a bench of high school all americans sitting there.

what it timetable for the freshman to return?

jtk
()
Old 11-16-16, 11:38 AM
All World

Quote:
i know that, i just wish he would utilize more than 6 guys, especially early in the season. you never know when the injury bug will hit again, and they aren't getting anything by sitting on the bench. hell, i think he has a bench of high school all americans sitting there.

what it timetable for the freshman to return?

jtk
()
The only other player off the bench besides Jackson would be DeLaurier, and he got some minutes. There's no timetable for the Frosh return. I know if it were later in the season, Tatum would be playing. Not sure about Giles or Bolden.
Old 11-16-16, 12:46 PM
All Yappi

da laurier played 1 minute last night. if he is going to do this, its a matter of time before another injury.

jtk
()
Old 11-16-16, 01:17 PM
All World

Quote:
da laurier played 1 minute last night. if he is going to do this, its a matter of time before another injury.

jtk
()
I hope they don't lose DeLaurier to a transfer, he'll get his chance next yr when Duke loses pretty much everyone but Jeter, Kennard and maybe Frank Jackson. I know they're in the mix for top recruits, but they won't have close to the depth they have this season.

Btw, I loved how Jeter has improved. During their slide from about 2004-2009, they had no big men sans Shelden Williams, now they're loaded in the front court.
Old 11-16-16, 09:59 PM
All American

Quote:
I hope they don't lose DeLaurier to a transfer, he'll get his chance next yr when Duke loses pretty much everyone but Jeter, Kennard and maybe Frank Jackson. I know they're in the mix for top recruits, but they won't have close to the depth they have this season.

Btw, I loved how Jeter has improved. During their slide from about 2004-2009, they had no big men sans Shelden Williams, now they're loaded in the front court.
Agree. K has long loved a guard-oriented team, lacking of the one more big man they needed each year. Glad that's different this year.

Except for the ending, great game! Should be a good season.
Old 11-20-16, 03:15 PM
All World

Solid win over a pretty good RI team. Really impressive how Kennard, Jefferson, and Jackson have stepped up w/ Allen playing hurt and the 3 star Frosh out. Good news, Tatum and Bolden expected back by next week. Bad news, no word on Giles, seems possible he could miss the entire year.
Old 11-20-16, 05:39 PM
All American

Quote:
Solid win over a pretty good RI team. Really impressive how Kennard, Jefferson, and Jackson have stepped up w/ Allen playing hurt and the 3 star Frosh out. Good news, Tatum and Bolden expected back by next week. Bad news, no word on Giles, seems possible he could miss the entire year.
Giles: not good news - especially for him - to suffer the same type of injury over and over again. Hope there is some kind of training that will help him overcome this problem. Devils should be awesome when they get to full strength.

Sounds like Indiana may be ranked #1 next week. Exciting season ahead!
Old 11-25-16, 01:16 PM
All World

Is it just me or does it seem like Duke always plays Michigan St in the B10-ACC challenge?
Old 11-25-16, 06:27 PM
All American

Quote:
Is it just me or does it seem like Duke always plays Michigan St in the B10-ACC challenge?
I can't remember from one year to the next, but it looks like the Devils have played Sparty three times before in the challenge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACC%E2...en_8.E2.80.936

The two years Duke played the Buckeyes back to back, both teams were top four teams and split those games.

I watched the 1992 NC between Duke and Michigan last night on TWC. The Wolverines were up 31-30 at half. The Devils, especially Laetner who often was not getting to half court on offense, appeared to have no legs.

Yet, they held Michigan (and the so-called Fab Five) to 20 points in the second half to win 71-51. As tuckered out as the Devils were, evidently the Wolves were even more so. Great game by a great team!
Old 11-27-16, 10:03 PM
All World

Quote:
I can't remember from one year to the next, but it looks like the Devils have played Sparty three times before in the challenge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACC%E2...en_8.E2.80.936

The two years Duke played the Buckeyes back to back, both teams were top four teams and split those games.

I watched the 1992 NC between Duke and Michigan last night on TWC. The Wolverines were up 31-30 at half. The Devils, especially Laetner who often was not getting to half court on offense, appeared to have no legs.

Yet, they held Michigan (and the so-called Fab Five) to 20 points in the second half to win 71-51. As tuckered out as the Devils were, evidently the Wolves were even more so. Great game by a great team!
It seems like they play MSU every year in November. This is one of Izzo's classic teams, totally average early in the year, but will probably find a way into the FF.

Duke's played pretty well up to this point, but honestly any basketball played before January is irrelevant.
Old 11-28-16, 08:27 PM
All American

Watched 2010 NC game between Butler and Duke last night, which went down to the buzzer. Butler had one helluva team and it was a shame one team had to lose.
Old 11-29-16, 11:34 PM
All Yappi

looked fairly good tonight. i would guess playing only 6 dudes, when the frosh come back, and it seems they will, they will be fine. they have there 3 best dudes on the sidelines in sweat pants. i wish there was a timeline for their return.......

jtk
()