Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-06-17, 05:12 PM
All Ohio

CitrusCrunch is on a distinguished road
hold up so are you saying there will be 4 girls from ohio like there are 4 boys out of 160 so is that like 4 out of all the boys that play in ohio high school
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-17, 11:18 PM
Junior Varsity

2731 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitrusCrunch View Post
hold up so are you saying there will be 4 girls from ohio like there are 4 boys out of 160 so is that like 4 out of all the boys that play in ohio high school
That's not what I'm saying at all... That list is one version of the top 160 senior age boys in the country. It's great that 4 are from Ohio.

The point you are purposefully missing, is that less than 10 play club and high school, (only one of the Ohio boys, and that's a pretty amazing accomplishment for that young man) All of the rest are DA players. And that list is only 160 players long.

I think NCAA div 1 finds the academy system "useful".
Old 01-07-17, 06:45 AM
All Ohio

my daughters played in a simpler time but my nieces are gonna be high school age coming up so i try to keep up with this stuff. say what you want but i dont see high schools on your list could be missin them i guess. da might be an option for one or two of my nieces in the years to come so id like to understand it but not finding much info locally. so are you saying that they can play hs and da based on the boys you mentioned as i thought that was not an option. school ball will be important for my nieces coming from small towns.
Old 01-07-17, 08:09 AM
All District

Upper 90 is on a distinguished road
Man most of those are Mls based. Are you really using that as an argument for the girls side? Weak sauce.
Old 01-07-17, 09:27 AM
Varsity

Hoosier Parent is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2731 View Post
In 5 years the girls list will look like this too.. but you'll be too old to remember.

http://www.collegesoccernews.com/ind...school-seniors
i'd argue that the current list of ECNL or National League club committments are currently equal to or more impressive than that list.
Old 01-07-17, 01:11 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upper 90 View Post
Man most of those are Mls based. Are you really using that as an argument for the girls side? Weak sauce.
Sigh. I think ostriches are less obtuse than y'all.

On the boys side most Da's are Mls based. The point is... (And after this I'm done, you all can continue to dream....) the clubs getting the best players and therefore the most college looks are the DA's on the boys side.

This will happen on the girls side as well. It will take time and happen over the course of 3-5 years as more and more girls DA clubs get added. And they will add... many over the course of that time.

This will erode the talent pool in the ECNL until in 5 years, U14 girls will be skipping it in favor of the academy system.

High schools don't count and they don't count today.

Tomorrow, ECNL will be a minor league. This affects no high school aged girls right now. It's a new system, it will implement over time and US Soccer will replace US Club as the main system for the highest talent.

The colleges will follow the kids.
Old 01-07-17, 03:41 PM
Varsity

Hoosier Parent is on a distinguished road
Makes sense.That's why I follow Yappi, to learn from you guys (Gals)
Old 01-07-17, 05:38 PM
All Ohio

me to and now that 2731 cleared up that they can play hs and do da i feel better about it that was my biggest concern. be tough for a lot of girls i am sure each will figure out what is best for their own.
Old 01-08-17, 08:27 AM
All American

buckshooter5 is on a distinguished road
DA is designed for one thing and one thing only, to keep the money flowing into the present system. ECNL is a disrupter, the fat boys are pissed, do not mess with their wallets. Ask yourself how those involved with soccer get filthy rich in the USYSA. All about the kids, I mean $$$$. DA is DOA.
Old 01-09-17, 09:30 AM
All District

Upper 90 is on a distinguished road
The reason the DA's affiliated with MLS teams are so successful at getting the top talent is that they are tied to the MLS team. The boys want to play there, wear the gear, practice at the training grounds etc with the dream of playing at the club or another MLS club. Nothing obtuse about it. It is proving to be a very successful model for the boys. But the girls thus far only have NWSL and none of those are MLS affiliated. I am not sure why the MLS teams don't have girls teams, it would seem to make sense since the structure is already in place. In all honesty I hope it succeeds and brings a bright light to soccer in our area. I just don't see it basing it off two local clubs.
Old 01-09-17, 09:34 AM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Do parents and those following soccer closely honestly believe that US Club Soccer, the US Soccer Federation, and the USYSA are making the recent changes to do what is best for the kids? I, for one, am not a believer. The recent changes are politically/power motivated and are being done to protect monetary interests. If the governing bodies of soccer really wanted to make meaningful changes the game would be more accessible for the kids and it would be doing more to foster development in a broader spectrum of the population. Can anyone honestly state that soccer is becoming more accessible than, let's say, what it was five or ten years ago?

Is the Girls DA really needed? I think that we won't know the real answer for a few years. In the short term, though, I would argue that the GDA is more about politics and power. I don't believe that the Federation is attempting to kill the ECNL but instead is trying to put US Club Soccer in its place. For perspective on this go back in time and note that clubs banded together because they felt that in doing so they would have more power and would do a better job with player development. That was the beginnings of US Club Soccer. The clubs that were/are heavily ingratiated with US Club Soccer rallied/rally against things like ODP. Was this really being done in the interest of the players? I don't believe that it was. US Club Soccer offered a streamlined process for paperwork and made those matters easier for the clubs. It also gave power back to the clubs. Player development was an afterthought. What happened, and what US Club Soccer abetted in, was that youth soccer turned more into a business-oriented endeavor. So while the Federation might be stating that the GDA was started in the name of development, it is being done, in the short term at least, to repudiate the validity and philosophy of US Club Soccer and the ECNL.

Not to be one-upped, US Club Soccer started the boys ECNL. Is the boys ECNL really needed? I doubt it. Again, we probably won't know until the program is in place for a bit. In the short-term the Boys ECNL reeks of a case of "taking the ball and going home" by US Club Soccer and the ECNL. Is it really being done for player development and what is in the best interest of the players? No, it isn't. It's being done in the interest of the clubs. It is merely a power play that is motivated by politics.

The territorial pissings that permeate youth sports in general, and youth soccer in particular, are blatantly obvious. It's sickening how the "leaders" (I use the term "leaders" loosely here) of the sport always profess to be doing what is best for development, what is best for the growth of sport, what is best for the kids, blah, blah, blah. I would have a lot more respect for these clowns if they were honest and would state that they are doing what is best for themselves, their fiefdoms, and their political interests. None of it will change, though, as long as parents believe what the "leaders" are telling them – that the changes are being done for the kids. The true leaders and innovators of youth soccer won't emerge until they quit playing lip-service to "player development." As of now, on the women's side of the game at least, the ball is in the field of the Federation and GDA. Let's see what they do with it. The pessimist in me tends to believe that we'll see more of the same. I would like to be surprised.

Last edited by Rohbino; 01-09-17 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 01-09-17, 12:35 PM
All Ohio

soccerdad is on a distinguished road
just a little info on boys side. when my son played (92's). the boys DA was just starting and there were 2 teams CUP and the other I won't mention were loaded with talent. these teams cleaned up where ever we traveled to play. NO players from the NON CUP team even tried or were convinced not to try and play in the DA. IF they were serious about the quality of play it should be based on a referral system. Both the coach of the player and other coaches familiar with said player. It was very political back then and I think some players that may have wanted to didn't because they didn't want to let the coaches or teammates down. It should be an honor to try/play for such club. And players with real talent should have a fair opportunity to participate without recourse or financial burden. If not, then finding talented players isn't the real goal of the system. There should be plenty of money to allow players(not there fault) to play that financially couldn't participate.
Old 01-09-17, 02:24 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upper 90 View Post
The reason the DA's affiliated with MLS teams are so successful at getting the top talent is that they are tied to the MLS team. The boys want to play there, wear the gear, practice at the training grounds etc with the dream of playing at the club or another MLS club. Nothing obtuse about it. It is proving to be a very successful model for the boys. But the girls thus far only have NWSL and none of those are MLS affiliated. I am not sure why the MLS teams don't have girls teams, it would seem to make sense since the structure is already in place. In all honesty I hope it succeeds and brings a bright light to soccer in our area. I just don't see it basing it off two local clubs.
22 Mls teams soon to be 24. 150 boys DA clubs. You do the math. I just looked it up... even I didn't realize how many non MLS clubs had come on to the academy system on the boys side.

http://www.ussoccerda.com/all-clubs
Old 01-09-17, 04:17 PM
All Ohio

2731 can you help me my sister said her daughter was told she cannot do hs soccer and da why can they do it on the boys side and the girls
Old 01-09-17, 05:36 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitrusCrunch View Post
2731 can you help me my sister said her daughter was told she cannot do hs soccer and da why can they do it on the boys side and the girls
I'm sorry I can't help you. I never said you can do HS and DA, you can't.

When I said High School doesn't count, that was from a college recruiting perspective. The vast majority of colleges don't recruit high schools for soccer.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: