Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-18-16, 03:54 PM
All American

SportsGenius is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termite2 View Post
Davis is coming back?
Yea? Why would you think he wouldn't be?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-16, 05:17 PM
All Yappi

Termite2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGenius View Post
Yea? Why would you think he wouldn't be?
Thought he was suspended by X; when is he coming back.
Old 11-19-16, 01:21 AM
All American

He is suspended. If he wasn't coming back they wouldve kicked him off the team. He has wrapped up his legal issues and he had already been cleared by the schools disciplinary board without any further punishment a couple weeks ago. It hasn't been released publicly by Mack, but he will be back once the first semester officially concludes in mid december as he is enrolled in second semester classes.
Old 11-19-16, 10:51 AM
All Yappi

Termite2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
He is suspended. If he wasn't coming back they wouldve kicked him off the team. He has wrapped up his legal issues and he had already been cleared by the schools disciplinary board without any further punishment a couple weeks ago. It hasn't been released publicly by Mack, but he will be back once the first semester officially concludes in mid december as he is enrolled in second semester classes.
Thanks
Old 11-19-16, 12:45 PM
All American

Jerry Maguire is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
Trouble is that -- except for Macura, Bluiett, and Sumner -- X is definitely offensively challenged at all the other spots. Bernard is an excellent defender, but X has a lot of trouble getting and making good shots unless one of the "Big 3" are handling the ball.
I will add that O'Mara is showing some nice moves around the basket.
This won't be an issue when Gates comes back and even less so when Myles comes back. X just has to survive a little longer without the depth. I believe Gaston has the ability to score more but he, like the rest of the bigs, gets in foul trouble. He is going to keep improving as he continues to shake all the rust off and fully understand Mack's system. O'Mara has played very well the last 3 games. X is gonna need Tyrique Jones to stop being a foul machine.
Old 11-19-16, 01:53 PM
All Ohio

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Some good points. I would add, though, that, thus far, ALL 3 post players have been big time foul machines. Somehow, that's gotta get fixed.
On the bright side, I thought Bernard had his best all-around game against Clemson -- especially offensively.
Old 11-20-16, 04:42 PM
All District

streaker182 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Maguire 910 View Post
You are correct. I only get sensitive over XU basketball because I care about them significantly more than any other Cincinnati team. You'll notice I'm not as sensitive in posts anywhere other than this forum.

And streaker brought UC "breezing" by X up so I take my chances on assuming he's a UC troll.

BTW, Jim L, it was quite the revelation seeing on the Elder board that you are FU. Should've known. I'm disappointed with myself on that one.
Don't mean to back track but figured I should address this. Contrary to your assumptions I actually AM a Xavier fan. I apologize for stepping on your toes there and offending you. From what I've watched, we've shot poorly, turned the ball over a lot, and played sloppy defense. I think we've looked bad so far, simply saying we've got work to do
Old 11-20-16, 05:11 PM
All American

Got carried away, I'll admit, but you saying "this team is bad" is DEFINITELY getting carried away. X is a loooong way from bad.
Old 11-21-16, 10:29 AM
All World

Bballer05
3 games in 4 days with a depleted roster......i'd say that's a huge step forward for this team.

our bigs struggled in game 2 and 3, but saved us in game 1 with their second chance points/rebounding.

get another shot at UNI in a week so that should be interesting to see how they respond at home, after beating a team, where the crowd could be small because students are on break, it's OSU-Mich game at same time, etc.

either way, still undefeated. plenty to improve and get better at.
Old 11-28-16, 12:36 PM
All World

Bballer05
up to #7 in the AP Poll.

got NDSU Tuesday, then at Baylor Saturday, which i believe will be the best team they've played up to this point.
Old 11-28-16, 12:52 PM
Cooling Off

Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bballer05 View Post
up to #7 in the AP Poll.

got NDSU Tuesday, then at Baylor Saturday, which i believe will be the best team they've played up to this point.
Baylor will be the best team they've played thus far, by far. No "I believe" about it. I'm definitely catching that game on Saturday. Who guards Motley most of the game?
Old 11-28-16, 04:21 PM
All Ohio

I suspect that Motley will be guarded by committee, as X doesn't have any one guy who has all the skills that Motley possesses. That said, Mack will devise a pretty good strategy to contain him. After all, we've seen the likes of Motley (and better) before.
Baylor will provide an excellent test for us to see where Xavier is compared with where they need to be.
Old 11-29-16, 09:11 AM
All American

If Kaiser Gates was fully in the swing of things, he would guard Motley the majority of the game, but I'm not sure he will be getting his full minutes by Saturday. Therefore I agree, Motley guarded by committee. Gaston and Jones need to stay out of foul trouble for the Baylor game more than ever or else X will be in trouble. If X can hold Motley to 10 or fewer, I like their chances.
Old 11-29-16, 02:46 PM
All Ohio

It might be a little unfair to Gates to put him on Motley, especially in view of the fact that, in his debut, Gates definitely had some issues on the defensive end.
However, it would be a nice early test for him during the minutes that he's in there.
Overall, I'm not that concerned with Motley "going off" against X. The bigs have played nice defense thus far and, when in doubt, we have 15 fouls to spend!
Old 11-30-16, 02:35 AM
All American

He had some issues only due to rust. When healthy, Gates is probably our best defender by far. Can guard 1-5 and be more than adequate. If he wasn't still fresh off the injury, I wouldn't be that worried. If he and Jones can split time without foul trouble, they're more than capable of slowing him down.
Old 11-30-16, 09:42 AM
All World

Bballer05
Quote:
He had some issues only due to rust. When healthy, Gates is probably our best defender by far. Can guard 1-5 and be more than adequate. If he wasn't still fresh off the injury, I wouldn't be that worried. If he and Jones can split time without foul trouble, they're more than capable of slowing him down.
i wouldn't tag Gates as our "best defender". i realize we've only seen Bernard for a few games but he's turning into the Abell/Cage/Burrell kind of guy who we can put on the other team's best player(which is normally the other team's 1, 2, or 3). Gates can't stay with other team's 1's and 2's at this point. he's just too slow afoot.

when he's back at 100%, what he brings most is the ability to stretch another team's 4-5 to the perimeter because of his ability to shoot the 3. heck, Mack talked about him being the team's best 3 pt shooter last year so the better Gates gets, the more confidence he gets, the more he's going to show that from beyond the arc. and that just opens up the lane for Sumner or whoever else to drive to the basket more.

they did what they should've done vs NDSU last night, minus a semi-sloppy last 10 minutes but that's understandable considering the lead they had.

HUGE game Saturday.

can't wait!
Old 11-30-16, 01:12 PM
All Ohio

Baylor -- on the road -- will be an excellent measuring stick for where X is as a team.
This game will show whether or not X's improvement in all areas has been due to real performance or the quality of the opposition. Baylor is certainly due credit for what the Bears have done lately over some excellent teams.
Win or lose, X will learn some things from this one.

As for Gates, he looks like he could develop into a special player. Last year, by the end of the season, he had developed into a valuable asset off the bench, both offensively and defensively. He might just be the missing piece that moves X into the next level.
Old 12-01-16, 02:43 PM
All Ohio

Interestingly enough, Joe Lunardi just placed Baylor as a #2 seed in today's Bracketology -- same as Xavier.
Old 12-01-16, 02:59 PM
Cooling Off

Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
That would make sense as Xavier and Baylor are both in the top 10, justifying the #2 seeds.
Old 12-07-16, 11:30 AM
All World

Bballer05
loss at Baylor not unexpected but the 2nd half was pretty disappointing.

Baylor is legit. i think they will be in the top 10 all season long so this loss won't be bad.

just need to bounce back at Colorado tonite, which won't be an easy game.
Old 12-07-16, 11:10 PM
All Yappi

Jhubbs77 is on a distinguished road
Colorado gets a close win. X gave up another big 2nd half run just like against Baylor. Little too much action taking place at the 3 point line right now
Old 12-07-16, 11:14 PM
All District

streaker182 is on a distinguished road
Gonna be a long season if this shooting keeps up. Outside the top 150 in FG% & FT%, outside the top 250 for 3pt%.
Old 12-08-16, 09:12 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhubbs77 View Post
Colorado gets a close win. X gave up another big 2nd half run just like against Baylor. Little too much action taking place at the 3 point line right now
Yep. And Sumner not stepping up and making big plays. And having two of worst free throw shooters I've ever seen in Gaston (can't really blame him for last night though) and Jones. And Jones not being able to contribute anything except rebounding which hurts our depth even more. JP had another bad game for the most part as well.

Pretty disappointed in that loss, but it's still early and I just hope Mack frees Myles soon.
Old 12-08-16, 10:54 AM
All World

Bballer05
you just can't go on those elongated scoring droughts that they seem to do, especially on the road.

when Colorado was given the chance to step up and hit a big shot, they did, at one point hitting 4-5 straight 3's when they made their run to take the lead.

when we were given the chance to do that (and we had plenty), we either clanked or airballed a 3 or missed FT's.

need more from the supporting cast and can't have JP shooting as horribly as he did.

on to Utah, at home, which will be another tough game.
Old 12-12-16, 08:32 AM
All World

Bballer05
solid bounceback game at home after the 2-game losing streak on the road.

JP shot it much better which was good to see.

probably should've blown them out in the 2nd half but ya know what, after the last 2 games, a win is a win.

FT's still an issue. i'm sure that will improve.

a week off because of exams and then the Skip Prosser Classic on saturday at home vs. Wake.
Old 12-12-16, 02:19 PM
All World

Bballer05
#17 in both polls. no problem with that. seems about right.

Big East is pretty ridiculous right now. top 7 teams are a combined 59-10.

should be a great season of Big East hoops.
Old 12-14-16, 02:22 PM
All Ohio

An article that I thought was interesting, showing how X began each season; and then how far the team went at season's end.......from 2010 thru 2016.

This info is at the end of the article:

http://www.bannersontheparkway.com/2...sitting-pretty
Old 12-17-16, 02:28 PM
All American

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...fDE/edit#gid=0

Scholarship outlook someone put together.
Currently 1 open spot for next year, plus you have to assume Sumner, and Bluiett are gone. That would leave Macura, Omara, Gates, Gooden, and Jones with the 5 freshman. Thinkin Mack looks for a grad transfer and another late signing.
Old 12-18-16, 12:38 AM
All American

Solid win over a decent Wake team. I think Wake is improved and can finish in the top half of the ACC.

With that said, it was another ugly game from a turnover standpoint and I believe it was the first time this year X was out rebounded (38-37). One of these days missed free throws are gonna cost us a close game like that. It's bound to happen.
Old 12-21-16, 08:40 AM
All World

Bballer05
took them a little bit to wake up last night but once they did, they poured it on EWU.

35-8 run to end the first half.

now a week to prepare for BE opener at home vs. Providence.

gonna be a great season in the BE.