Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-22-16, 06:59 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Attended my first FC Cincinnati match with son & nephew and have to say that in spite of the loss I came away very impressed. I was a season ticket holder for the Columbus Crew their first seven seasons and FCC has stronger support than Columbus did at the end of those seven years.

There were over 16,000 fans for a Wednesday night game which would be an excellent crowd by MLS standards. But what set it apart for me was the enthusiasm of the crowd. They were into the game and the "Baily" supporters section is amazing and would be considered among the best in the MLS. That it was only formed this season is an astonishing success.

On Wednesday night FCC set a USSL record for highest season attendance with five home games still to go! The other thing I noticed was the large percentage of fans decked out in FCC gear. There is some serious money rolling into the club.

I've read talk of FCC getting into the MLS by 2023. Well if there is brain one in MLS they'll move heaven & earth to get FCC into the league NO LATER than 2020. The rivalry with the Crew could become something very special. As for stadiums, Nippert is a great place to watch soccer but I suspect that if FCC gets invited to join the MLS a soccer specific stadium would be pretty easy to swing.
Old 07-22-16, 07:53 AM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
MLS has publicly taken notice, which is potentially big news.
Old 07-22-16, 08:25 AM
Cooling Off

Frank Underwood has a little shameless behaviour in the past
It's crazy how quickly and easily the city has bought into FC Cincy. Will be buying season tickets next season.
Old 07-23-16, 04:56 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
I'm watching FC Cincinnati versus Louisville on the CW (FCC leads 2 - 0) and they just announced an attendance of 20,151! Given how brutally hot and muggy it is today that is a great crowd for an afternoon game.

So in the last week you had 35,100 for the friendly against Crystal Palace then you had 16,200 folks at a Wednesday night game and today you have 20,151. Those are amazing numbers for three consecutive home games over a span of only a week.
Old 01-10-17, 02:33 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
FIFA has confirmed it will expand the World Cup Final 2026 field to to 48 countries.

I can't wait to watch Jamaica vs Belarus in the WC. So many people are going to show up for those type of games.

I believe the US, Canada, and Mexico are planning a joint bid for 2026 as well.
Old 01-10-17, 05:06 PM
All Yappi

I'll happily watch it. One of the few good ideas FIFA has come up with in quite awhile

Dumb that USA wants to partner up with Mexico, Canada and USA have more than enough quality venues
Old 01-10-17, 07:09 PM
All Yappi

The first WC the novelty will be there but later I think people will hate it. There are barely enough quality countries to fill the current slots and now they're doubling the number of teams.
Old 01-11-17, 12:15 AM
All Yappi

To play Devil's Advocate, there are quite a few world class players that don't get to play in the WC because their country usually isn't quite good enough to qualify (Adebayor-Togo, Jovetic-Montenegro, Alaba-Austria, etc) so having a tournament like this will give them a chance to play and possibly win a game or two

And if they end up sucking anyway, they play a max of two games and they're out. Will add a lot more importance and suspense to the preliminary round, because if you're a good country and you drop the first game, then the second game becomes a must win or you'll be knocked out. Will be awesome imo, but it'll suck when someone like Germany or Italy or someone gets knocked out in the prelims
Old 01-11-17, 09:50 AM
All Region

Brambleberry is on a distinguished road
As a viewer, this is a dumb idea. Just watering down the field even more. These are grown men and they don't need a World Cup participation trophy. This coming tournament there are maybe 7 teams with realistic chance to win it all. Brazil, Germany, Spain, France, Belgium, Italy, Argentina. Maybe throw in Portugal as a dark horse.

Adebayor and Jovetic as World Class talents? Maybe you were thinking of Aubemayang from Gabon instead of Adebayor. The best players that didn't make the last world cup were Ibrahimovic (Sweden), Aubamayang (Gabon), and Alaba. I don't think the casual soccer fans who doesn't already know these players from their club teams will decide to watch those teams anyways.
Old 01-11-17, 10:30 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Mrs. Zunardo and I drove to Orlando after Christmas to watch our son officiate at a huge youth tournament held at the Disney/ESPN complex. We were stunned by the size of the complex, and the sheer number of teams and players who came from all over to play. And that was third such tournament my son worked at Disney in 2016.

The future of American soccer looks pretty good, even if only going by the participation numbers.
Old 01-11-17, 10:43 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
They are talking 16 groups of 3, which I assume means the winner of each group goes to the round of 16?

Not horrible

Right now teams 45-48 are Japan, Denmark, Australia and the Congo.

3 of those 4 have been in recent world cups
Old 01-11-17, 10:46 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
To play Devil's Advocate, there are quite a few world class players that don't get to play in the WC because their country usually isn't quite good enough to qualify (Adebayor-Togo, Jovetic-Montenegro, Alaba-Austria, etc) so having a tournament like this will give them a chance to play and possibly win a game or two

And if they end up sucking anyway, they play a max of two games and they're out. Will add a lot more importance and suspense to the preliminary round, because if you're a good country and you drop the first game, then the second game becomes a must win or you'll be knocked out. Will be awesome imo, but it'll suck when someone like Germany or Italy or someone gets knocked out in the prelims
Jovetic???? Really????

I think if you lose the first game you are toast.

In the past you could lay back and draw that first game and be fine. It will certainly put the importance on going for wins.

Who it really hurts are the mid level teams. If only 1 team gets out of each group, a team like the US could get drawn in with Argentina or Germany and be totally screwed.

At least with groups of 4 you could lose to that top level team and still have a good chance of getting to the knockout round.
Old 01-11-17, 11:13 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
They are talking 16 groups of 3, which I assume means the winner of each group goes to the round of 16?

Not horrible

Right now teams 45-48 are Japan, Denmark, Australia and the Congo.

3 of those 4 have been in recent world cups
Nope, the top 2 teams go into a knockout round of 32. FAR too much in my opinion
Old 01-11-17, 11:39 AM
All Yappi

So don't watch the games you don't want to watch then
Old 01-11-17, 04:36 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brambleberry View Post
Nope, the top 2 teams go into a knockout round of 32. FAR too much in my opinion
So they are gonna play 48 games ( 3 per group of 3) to only eliminate a third of the field?

wow

$$$$$$$$$
Old 01-11-17, 04:40 PM
All Yappi

What really becomes watered down is the qualifying.

does ALL of CONMEBOL make it now?

The US and Mexico will be in with ease, don't their matches become glorified friendlies now?
Old 01-11-17, 08:06 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
So they are gonna play 48 games ( 3 per group of 3) to only eliminate a third of the field?

wow

$$$$$$$$$
Yeah, the group stage is going to suck now. 4 teams going for two spots seemed better than 3 teams going for 2 spots.

Here's the scenarios:

A over B
B over C
A v. C becomes a (A wins, A&B are in; C wins, total goals matters)

A over B
C over B
A v. C (A&C are in, there's not much to play off, B is out)

B over A
B over C (B is in)
A v. C (winner is in, tie goes to GD between A/C)

B over A
C over B
A v. C (C win, is in; A win is 3-way tie goes to 3-team GD; tie, B/C is in)

A ties B
B over C (B is in)
A v. C (winner advances, loser goes home, tie goes to A)

A ties B
C over B (C is in)
A v. C (A wins or ties, is in; C win, A/B go to GD)

A ties B
B ties C
A v. C (winner advances, tie goes to GD for all three)

The one problem FIFA tried to avoid was a team 'knowing they're already advancing' when they played. This was accomplished by the third matchday the games were at the same time. Sure, you can scoreboard watch, but it's tougher to communicate to players. And things can still change. If a team is 2-0-0 and the other three teams are 2-0-0, 0-2-0, and 0-2-0, obviously the only thing is playing for the higher seed, but advancement is assured before playing their third game.

If they want 48, go to 12 groups of 4. Top two advance (24 teams). Figure out which four Group winners have to play with the 12 Group runner-ups in the first knockout round. Then, those 8 winners play the 8 remaining group winners in the second knockout round. The QFs, SFs, and Final/3rd place game.

That wouldn't allow teams in 3rd place to advance like in some former tournaments FIFA runs (including WWC). But, maybe use FIFA ranking to figure out which 8 get a few days rest and which 4 group winners have to play.
Old 01-12-17, 02:11 PM
All Region

UEFA gets 16 teams (one team in each pool), CONMEBOL gets 6 teams, CONCACAF gets 6.5 (The 1/2 comes from a playoff with an Asia team), Africa gets 9, Asia gets 8.5, and Oceania gets 1. The host nation gets an automatic spot.

I'm a big fan of the group of 4 where only the top 2 advance. Advancing out of the group stage meant something and was a strong accomplishment. Teams could afford one time where the ref calls a controversial penalty and still be able to make up for it in the two other games.

I don't really want to get into it, but I still don't understand how their are really only 3 referees and only goal line reviews with how fast paced and wide open the sport can be.
Old 06-09-17, 09:26 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Looks like Christian Pulisic is the real deal.
Old 06-09-17, 09:27 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Looks like Christian Pulisic is the real deal.
yessir
Old 06-09-17, 09:43 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
Didn't get to watch last night. I know he's shown plenty of promise. What happened last night for the statement, Auggie (or anyone else)?
Old 06-09-17, 09:46 AM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
He scored both goals for the US last night. Seems like he's gaining a lot of hype, which definitely has never happened to a young, promising USMNT player before...
Old 06-09-17, 10:03 AM
All Yappi

https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/201...-mexico-azteca

The 18-year-old Pulisic did it again on Thursday, scoring both goals in the U.S.ís 2-0 World Cup qualifying win here over Trinidad and Tobago. If youíre keeping score at home, that meant Pulisic now has seven goals in his 15 U.S. appearances. And they havenít been small-time goals, either. His two on Thursday were absolutely necessary after over 50 minutes of scoreless soccer had frustrated a U.S. team that badly needed three points at home.
Old 06-09-17, 10:17 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
He scored both goals for the US last night. Seems like he's gaining a lot of hype, which definitely has never happened to a young, promising USMNT player before...
Different breed here. He plays big time European soccer for Borussia Dortmund and he does it very well.
Old 06-09-17, 10:18 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
This one is doing it at a much higher level than anyone has before.

This is not Freddy Adu.
Old 06-10-17, 04:58 PM
All World

Chop Stix is an unknown quantity at this point
The future is very bright for the USMNT although unlikely won't show on the world stage until 2022.

On top of Pulisic, waiting in the wings you have studs Weston McKinnie and Haji Wright at Schalke, Josh Perez at Fiorentina, Carter-Vickers at Tottenham and Zelalom at Arsenal.
Old 06-11-17, 10:17 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
I do not like the new format of the World Cup for expansion.

1-1 tie in Mexico, definitely will take that....

Confederation Cup? OK, how seriously do nations take this tournament and is it worth watching?
Old 06-11-17, 11:27 PM
All Yappi

More or less a warm up for the WC but it seems like teams take it more seriously in each cycle.
Old 06-12-17, 08:45 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
I do not like the new format of the World Cup for expansion.

1-1 tie in Mexico, definitely will take that....

Confederation Cup? OK, how seriously do nations take this tournament and is it worth watching?
I think it's worth watching for sure. Some decent teams that should provide for some good games.

Will they treat it as life or death? No.
Old 06-12-17, 09:08 AM
All Yappi

Confederation Cup? Really just an exercise for the WC host nation to work out any logistical kinks in their plans for the big show the following year.

Very happy with a 1-1 result in Mexico. The home side had a couple huge advantages heading into this one including playing home/home in a an unconventionally quick turn around time frame for this week's games so they could get on a plane and head to Russia. Also the ref swallowed the whistle in the first 5 minutes of the game and let the Mexicans get a way with a couple yellow card level fouls.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: