Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-13-16, 06:00 PM
Varsity

Conan73 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger View Post
Most kids playing at UC are not going there because they got a good deal !

UC has a history of not giving out School money at all, total low ball school.

that's why they will always just be the brides maid and never the bride.

But a very good engineering school, so just remember you still have to pay your students loans once you graduate.

But kids and parents keep drinking the Koolaid there
A local D1 coach told me that the expanded roster size (max 30) helped encourage early commits. They are basically gambling when they commit a 9th or 10th grader. To hedge their bets, they over recruit. That way, if a kid or 2 or 3 doesn't pan out, they are covered. Because recruiting budgets didn't go up with the expanded roster size, they bring more recruits in but at less money on a per recruit basis.

I once heard the UC coach say that he inherited a mess from the previous coach and he's trying to build it up. Overall, they now have a winning record, but they are middle of the pack in conference play. One think that this should improve over time.

The coach also said that he was impressed with the local Ohio talent (Cinci-Dayton-Columbus-Cleveland), and he wanted to win the recruiting battle for Ohio talent. He said it is a huge positive when kids can play the majority of their home games before their parents.

I can't say how much money per player he shells out. I do know that he told some class of 2018 recruits that they ran out of money. My guess is that he gives more $ to out of state players. A side benefit of recruiting local talent is that they are paying in-state tuition. So, he can get away with giving them less money because the tuition bill will be lower.

Sounds like this is a smart strategy if he can attract more than his fair share of elite local talent. Appeal to the possibility of playing before mom and dad, and take advantage of the fact that these kids pay in-state tuition
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-16, 06:10 PM
All Region

MichaelPat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan73 View Post
A local D1 coach told me that the expanded roster size (max 30) helped encourage early commits. They are basically gambling when they commit a 9th or 10th grader. To hedge their bets, they over recruit. That way, if a kid or 2 or 3 doesn't pan out, they are covered. Because recruiting budgets didn't go up with the expanded roster size, they bring more recruits in but at less money on a per recruit basis.

I once heard the UC coach say that he inherited a mess from the previous coach and he's trying to build it up. Overall, they now have a winning record, but they are middle of the pack in conference play. One think that this should improve over time.

The coach also said that he was impressed with the local Ohio talent (Cinci-Dayton-Columbus-Cleveland), and he wanted to win the recruiting battle for Ohio talent. He said it is a huge positive when kids can play the majority of their home games before their parents.

I can't say how much money per player he shells out. I do know that he told some class of 2018 recruits that they ran out of money. My guess is that he gives more $ to out of state players. A side benefit of recruiting local talent is that they are paying in-state tuition. So, he can get away with giving them less money because the tuition bill will be lower.

Sounds like this is a smart strategy if he can attract more than his fair share of elite local talent. Appeal to the possibility of playing before mom and dad, and take advantage of the fact that these kids pay in-state tuition
I know one local is getting a full ride so it is being done . Those big rosters I think are an issue however.
Old 12-13-16, 10:15 PM
All American

buckshooter5 is on a distinguished road
Is it not better to stay and get in state tuition and a partial, rather than go out of state, get a full and be evaluated and get it cut after two years? Kind of brutal on the kid if you ask me.
Old 12-20-16, 08:18 PM
All District

LE Hawks is on a distinguished road
Eric Golz named Head Coach at UD. Former recruiting coordinator under Tucker in 2011. Most recently head coach at Illinois State.
Old 12-29-16, 06:14 PM
All District

sportsfanofyear is on a distinguished road
BGSU new women's coach, Matt Fannon - http://www.bgsufalcons.com/news/2016...cer-coach.aspx
Old 01-04-17, 09:10 AM
All American

One of the most highly recruited kids ever in our area. Heard Louisville even put up a billboard in Mason welcoming her to the program. She leaves to go to UC? Either Louisville did some house cleaning, or their program has major issues. Recruiting class will tell the tale.
Old 01-04-17, 06:01 PM
All District

Red Red is on a distinguished road
I heard it was UL decision, UC will be a better fit for her. I hope things work out for her...
Old 01-05-17, 12:11 PM
All Ohio

Juan Pelota is on a distinguished road
exciting times for rose lavelle

these are exciting times for rose lavelle. she's projected to be a high pick in the nwsl draft, perhaps at the #1 spot to the boston breakers, and she has also been called up again to train with the uswnt.

more here:

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spor...pick/96169934/

let's see if ohio elite again tries to opportunistically take any credit for rose's accomplishments as it did when the ecnl announced p5 conference awards and the clubs that those players came from.
Old 01-05-17, 12:46 PM
Varsity

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Pelota View Post
these are exciting times for rose lavelle. she's projected to be a high pick in the nwsl draft, perhaps at the #1 spot to the boston breakers, and she has also been called up again to train with the uswnt.

more here:

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spor...pick/96169934/

let's see if ohio elite again tries to opportunistically take any credit for rose's accomplishments as it did when the ecnl announced p5 conference awards and the clubs that those players came from.
Success has many owners
Old 01-08-17, 08:30 AM
All American

LOL, Lavelle is the only owner of her success. She never believed in TEAM. All about her. Guess that is the way to do it. Ask any kid that played club or HS with her, one of the most selfish players on the pitch. Wish her the BEST, but please do not even pretend she was ever about TEAM.
Old 01-08-17, 11:20 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshooter5 View Post
LOL, Lavelle is the only owner of her success. She never believed in TEAM. All about her. Guess that is the way to do it. Ask any kid that played club or HS with her, one of the most selfish players on the pitch. Wish her the BEST, but please do not even pretend she was ever about TEAM.
I spoke to a parent at MND that had a daughter that overlapped with Rose. This parent said that she was a great team player. More important, he said that she was a natural leader.
Old 01-08-17, 04:26 PM
All American

I have spoken and know multiple parents. Not what they say, she is a phenomenal talent, has incredible work ethic and desire, but her younger years were 100% about her. NEVER ABOUT TEAM. Maybe that is the key for individual success, but sucks for the rest of the kids. Actually a BIG reason most kids struggle later on. Rose could overcome it, because she was just head and shoulders above the rest.
Old 01-10-17, 09:17 PM
Freshman

everton1 is on a distinguished road
Juan Pelota thanks for sharing the news around Rose. She actually deserves her own thread vs being in this thread but still very news worthy and great for Cincinnati Soccer. Your comment about OE is so funny and so true. Did Rose ever play for OE? Well if you really, really, really want to stretch it – her CUP team was done for the season and OE asked if she would play with them in a tournament. She played one weekend, never paid a dime, just came and played with them so really the answer is No! but OE likes to stretch the truth to make themselves look good – they are the best used car salesman in the soccer business lol!

Conan73 agreed success has many owners and Rose had great coaching and leadership in SAY, CUP, Balconi, and I’m sure others I’m forgetting. The individual she gives most credit for her development would be Neil Bradford, who we lost to cancer way too early. Talk about an individual who was in the game for the kid’s best interest would be Neil. You are missed but not forgotten my friend!

Buckshooter5, great you know many parents but I call BS on your comments. My oldest daughter played with Rose from U9 through High School and you are not going to meet a nicer young lady and family than the Lavelle’s. I’m so happy for her, for the Greater Cincinnati Area, and all the young soccer players in the area. Rose is a great ambassador of the sport and will represent the queen city well.
Old 01-11-17, 07:44 AM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by everton1 View Post

Conan73 agreed success has many owners and Rose had great coaching and leadership in SAY, CUP, Balconi, and Iím sure others Iím forgetting. The individual she gives most credit for her development would be Neil Bradford, who we lost to cancer way too early. Talk about an individual who was in the game for the kidís best interest would be Neil. You are missed but not forgotten my friend!
Neil will definitely be missed. He was one of the finest trainers in the Cincinnati area. He died way too young. Colon cancer sucks. I think he was only in his early 40s.

Ironically the Lakota United team that Neil coached when Rose played for him ended up going to OE with Neil as the coach. I think the way that all played out was that Rose, and a few of the other Lakota girls, decided not to move to OE with Neil and ended up joining the Warren County and Sycamore girls that went to CUP. The team that went to OE ended up being the Gold (2nd) team. With Rose on that team they would have been on par or better than the top OE team (Academy). As it was I believe that the two teams were close to each other. The arrangement that Neil and his team had with OE didn't last long and I don't know all of the politics of why. I can only imagine, though.

The days of the Arsenal and Lakota before they joined CUP to make CU seem so long ago. Everything seemed more simple back then. While politics were definitely a factor, that aspect of the game has gotten worse and not for the benefit of the kids. Adults screw things up all too often.
Old 01-11-17, 10:59 AM
Freshman

everton1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post
Neil will definitely be missed. He was one of the finest trainers in the Cincinnati area. He died way too young. Colon cancer sucks. I think he was only in his early 40s.

Ironically the Lakota United team that Neil coached when Rose played for him ended up going to OE with Neil as the coach. I think the way that all played out was that Rose, and a few of the other Lakota girls, decided not to move to OE with Neil and ended up joining the Warren County and Sycamore girls that went to CUP. The team that went to OE ended up being the Gold (2nd) team. With Rose on that team they would have been on par or better than the top OE team (Academy). As it was I believe that the two teams were close to each other. The arrangement that Neil and his team had with OE didn't last long and I don't know all of the politics of why. I can only imagine, though.

The days of the Arsenal and Lakota before they joined CUP to make CU seem so long ago. Everything seemed more simple back then. While politics were definitely a factor, that aspect of the game has gotten worse and not for the benefit of the kids. Adults screw things up all too often.
Rohbino Ė yep your facts are spot on. Neil was a special person that was always positive, always uplifting, always funny, and always thinking about the person/player he was working with.

As it relates to days long past I go back to LSO so prior to the LSO & LSC merging to become LUSC and then merging with Sycamore & CUP. Definitely simpler back but I do enjoy seeing soccer grow in popularity and the opportunities for kids to play at many different levels.

I also forgot to add Roseís factors of success the University of Wisconsin and definitely cannot forget ODP.
Old 01-13-17, 07:37 PM
All American

Everton, I agree, nice young lady, great family. However, she was never a team player in her younger years. That may be good, some clubs coach the player, team is second. All I am saying, when you have a talent like Rose, the other kids around her at the younger ages suffer. She worked on developing her game, Congrats.
Old 01-20-17, 07:10 AM
Freshman

Gr8tS0ccr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshooter5 View Post
Everton, I agree, nice young lady, great family. However, she was never a team player in her younger years. That may be good, some clubs coach the player, team is second. All I am saying, when you have a talent like Rose, the other kids around her at the younger ages suffer. She worked on developing her game, Congrats.

Special players always get this criticism. I remember Daniel borgman would sprint through warmups when everyone else was jogging. Other kids hated her for it. But that drive had nothing to do with being selfish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: