Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-01-18, 03:39 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 54,266
Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Division I Poll (10/01/18)


1 Mentor (Mentor) (6-0) (273) [10]
2 Colerain (Cincinnati) (6-0) (269) [12]
3 Pickerington Central (Pickerington) (6-0) (249) [7]
4 Archbishop Moeller (Cincinnati) (5-1) (141)
5 St Edward (Lakewood) (3-2) (139)
6 Dublin Coffman (Dublin) (6-0) (103)
7 St Ignatius (Cleveland) (4-2) (101)
8 Hilliard Davidson (Hilliard) (5-1) (86)
9 Canton McKinley (Canton) (6-0) (85) [1]
10 Elder (Cincinnati) (4-2) (52)

Others - Solon (Solon) (6-0), Reynoldsburg (Reynoldsburg) (6-0), Springfield (Springfield) (6-0), Fairfield (Fairfield) (5-1), Euclid (Euclid) (5-1)
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 10-01-18, 05:02 PM
CardinalsFan's Avatar
CardinalsFan CardinalsFan is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-15-01
Location: 8801 Cheviot Road
Posts: 10,556
CardinalsFan is on a distinguished road
Wow....Moeller beats 1 team with a winning record, needs OT to do it, and is the 4th best team in the state? Yeah, don't see it. Sorry.

And McKinley in over any of the 6 that follow them is ridiculous. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they haven't actually beaten a Division 1 team yet, right? Am I missing something?



-CardinalsFan
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-01-18, 05:05 PM
CincyHSFootballFan CincyHSFootballFan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-28-06
Posts: 2,441
CincyHSFootballFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalsFan View Post
Wow....Moeller beats 1 team with a winning record, needs OT to do it, and is the 4th best team in the state? Yeah, don't see it. Sorry.

And McKinley in over any of the 6 that follow them is ridiculous. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they haven't actually beaten a Division 1 team yet, right? Am I missing something?



-CardinalsFan
Moeller will not be there next week don’t worry about it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-01-18, 05:37 PM
WarriorOne WarriorOne is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-23-04
Location: SouthWest, OH
Posts: 2,728
WarriorOne is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalsFan View Post
Wow....Moeller beats 1 team with a winning record, needs OT to do it, and is the 4th best team in the state? Yeah, don't see it. Sorry.

And McKinley in over any of the 6 that follow them is ridiculous. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they haven't actually beaten a Division 1 team yet, right? Am I missing something?



-CardinalsFan

This poll has lost all its credibility. There are a few pollsters that forfeited their integrity just to prop up the incompetence of the parochial schools. And that is sad…not for the poll, but their lack of value of their honesty.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-01-18, 05:49 PM
Speedz Speedz is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 09-22-16
Posts: 42
Speedz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOne View Post
This poll has lost all its credibility. There are a few pollsters that forfeited their integrity just to prop up the incompetence of the parochial schools. And that is sad…not for the poll, but their lack of value of their honesty.
This whole web site is like that
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-01-18, 06:17 PM
EagleFan's Avatar
EagleFan EagleFan is offline
Scatologist
 
Join Date: 03-04-02
Location: Ohio
Posts: 21,591
EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOne View Post
This poll has lost all its credibility. There are a few pollsters that forfeited their integrity just to prop up the incompetence of the parochial schools. And that is sad…not for the poll, but their lack of value of their honesty.
I call BS on this post
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-01-18, 07:09 PM
JoeCool JoeCool is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-02-06
Location: Canton
Posts: 1,060
JoeCool is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalsFan View Post
Wow....Moeller beats 1 team with a winning record, needs OT to do it, and is the 4th best team in the state? Yeah, don't see it. Sorry.

And McKinley in over any of the 6 that follow them is ridiculous. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they haven't actually beaten a Division 1 team yet, right? Am I missing something?



-CardinalsFan
I think you are right about Mck. Probably there on name alone right now. These Dogs are young but getting better maybe by the end of the year we will see if they have it but I think they are too young and unproven at this point to be this high. Let's go Pups!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-01-18, 09:48 PM
HTFF HTFF is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-23-04
Posts: 3,198
HTFF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOne View Post
This poll has lost all its credibility. There are a few pollsters that forfeited their integrity just to prop up the incompetence of the parochial schools. And that is sad…not for the poll, but their lack of value of their honesty.
Which parochial schools have you seen play. Name them please
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-01-18, 09:54 PM
HTFF HTFF is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-23-04
Posts: 3,198
HTFF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOne View Post
This poll has lost all its credibility. There are a few pollsters that forfeited their integrity just to prop up the incompetence of the parochial schools. And that is sad…not for the poll, but their lack of value of their honesty.
Are you referring to the incompetence of the schools that have won 8 of the last 10 D1 titles?????
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-02-18, 02:05 PM
Rabbit Rabbit is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-23-03
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,964
Rabbit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalsFan View Post
Wow....Moeller beats 1 team with a winning record, needs OT to do it, and is the 4th best team in the state? Yeah, don't see it. Sorry.

And McKinley in over any of the 6 that follow them is ridiculous. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they haven't actually beaten a Division 1 team yet, right? Am I missing something?



-CardinalsFan
And Colerain's first 6 opponents have a combined 12-24 record?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-02-18, 04:09 PM
CardDad CardDad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 05-07-02
Posts: 4,760
CardDad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
And Colerain's first 6 opponents have a combined 12-24 record?
You are correct. Time to step up now.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-02-18, 07:52 PM
GBM23 GBM23 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 06-23-18
Posts: 6
GBM23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalsFan View Post
Wow....Moeller beats 1 team with a winning record, needs OT to do it, and is the 4th best team in the state? Yeah, don't see it. Sorry.

And McKinley in over any of the 6 that follow them is ridiculous. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they haven't actually beaten a Division 1 team yet, right? Am I missing something?



-CardinalsFan
Moeller has also beaten Colerain's two best wins. Seems to me maybe the Cardinals shouldn't be as high as they are with this logic.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-02-18, 08:43 PM
Southwest Guy Southwest Guy is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-05-02
Posts: 13,852
Southwest Guy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
And Colerain's first 6 opponents have a combined 12-24 record?
Could be the first time we agree on something but this is a fair response.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-02-18, 09:39 PM
wrestling125 wrestling125 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-15-11
Posts: 621
wrestling125 is on a distinguished road
If Mentor does not win it all this year a coaching change will be in store
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-02-18, 10:11 PM
tom 48 tom 48 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-06
Posts: 4,732
tom 48 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestling125 View Post
If Mentor does not win it all this year a coaching change will be in store
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-03-18, 03:11 AM
nooks nooks is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-04-06
Posts: 784
nooks is on a distinguished road
The hard truth is nobody is really good this year. A lot of contenders...but no real dominant favorite...like the kind of team who would steamroll other state's best teams. My 2 cents...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-03-18, 09:02 AM
CardinalsFan's Avatar
CardinalsFan CardinalsFan is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-15-01
Location: 8801 Cheviot Road
Posts: 10,556
CardinalsFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooks View Post
The hard truth is nobody is really good this year. A lot of contenders...but no real dominant favorite...like the kind of team who would steamroll other state's best teams. My 2 cents...
I would contend that there are very few years, if any, where our best teams are going to "steamroll" other state's best teams. Our strength, IMO, in the state of Ohio is our coaching. We don't have the depth of states like CA, FL, TX or even GA...but our coaching is as good as anywhere in the country.

Just because there is no "dominant" team does not mean there are no really good teams. I would take Mentor, Hoban, Colerain, Pick Central and St. Edward on a road show to almost any state in the country and feel good about winning at least 3 of 5 games at every stop.

-CardinalsFan
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-03-18, 09:25 AM
GCLFan99 GCLFan99 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 06-02-14
Posts: 528
GCLFan99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalsFan View Post
I would contend that there are very few years, if any, where our best teams are going to "steamroll" other state's best teams. Our strength, IMO, in the state of Ohio is our coaching. We don't have the depth of states like CA, FL, TX or even GA...but our coaching is as good as anywhere in the country.

Just because there is no "dominant" team does not mean there are no really good teams. I would take Mentor, Hoban, Colerain, Pick Central and St. Edward on a road show to almost any state in the country and feel good about winning at least 3 of 5 games at every stop.

-CardinalsFan
I agree we have some great high school coaches, however I am not sure that we are any better than other states, particularly the top states (Fla, Texa, Cal, NJ) in that regard.

I would agree with your second comment, with the exception of California and Florida. In 2016 when St X won state they were completely dominated by St John Bosco and lost 34-0. California has 5-6 private schools that are generally on another level. MaxPreps currently has 8 Cal. teams in their top 25 while USA today has 4.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-03-18, 09:34 AM
Harrycrane Harrycrane is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-27-16
Posts: 4,115
Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Pretty simple, , the schools that are public in these top 25 rankings often are larger and or get huge amounts of transfers . Its in the culture . I mean not just a few here or there like you see here sometimes but big moves. Allen Texas has about 4800 Students for instance, the California transfer rule doesn't really exist for publics they did away with it because they threw their hands up .

The privates are other level AAU like , we say that here but the Catholics have some kind of boundary to adhere to , there? NADA . Coaching is great in Ohio but the talent accumulation at some schools in this aforementioned states is ridiculous .


If you look at the ranking , invariably you see Privates , Academy's Catholics and some larger Publics that really stack their teams with more transfers than you might see around here .
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-03-18, 09:55 AM
CardinalsFan's Avatar
CardinalsFan CardinalsFan is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-15-01
Location: 8801 Cheviot Road
Posts: 10,556
CardinalsFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
Pretty simple, , the schools that are public in these top 25 rankings often are larger and or get huge amounts of transfers . Its in the culture . I mean not just a few here or there like you see here sometimes but big moves. Allen Texas has about 4800 Students for instance, the California transfer rule doesn't really exist for publics they did away with it because they threw their hands up .

The privates are other level AAU like , we say that here but the Catholics have some kind of boundary to adhere to , there? NADA . Coaching is great in Ohio but the talent accumulation at some schools in this aforementioned states is ridiculous .


If you look at the ranking , invariably you see Privates , Academy's Catholics and some larger Publics that really stack their teams with more transfers than you might see around here .
Spot on...that doesn't happen in Ohio at the levels it does in those other states. It's a shame, really, but that's just the way the world works.

Which is why GCLFan99 might be correct on his comment regarding FL and CA, although I would not use the 2016 St. X team as a sample as we can all generally agree that that team was the weakest D1 champ in the modern era. They beat 3 teams better than them during their playoff run alone...I guess the football Gods are getting payback this season.

-CardinalsFan
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-03-18, 06:09 PM
CardDad CardDad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 05-07-02
Posts: 4,760
CardDad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBM23 View Post
Moeller has also beaten Colerain's two best wins. Seems to me maybe the Cardinals shouldn't be as high as they are with this logic.
Moellers big test is against Elder. That game will tell a great deal about both teams. Elder may be the best team in region 4.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-04-18, 07:26 AM
adselder09 adselder09 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-11-07
Posts: 14,281
adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardDad View Post
Moellers big test is against Elder. That game will tell a great deal about both teams. Elder may be the best team in region 4.
Pump the brakes on that one. They put up 51 on X but this is the same team that didn't have an offensive score against St Edward and St Ignatius for almost 6 quarters. I venture to say Colerain's defense is just as good if not better.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-04-18, 07:53 AM
MitSulHer MitSulHer is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-18-07
Location: UA
Posts: 1,240
MitSulHer is on a distinguished road
IMO how is Pick Central not #1? I am sure the coaches over there are using that as motivation. I can see the case for Mentor being #1. They have played a very good schedule. But so has PC.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-04-18, 07:58 AM
Jerry Maguire Jerry Maguire is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-27-06
Location: Texas Forever
Posts: 1,943
Jerry Maguire is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitSulHer View Post
IMO how is Pick Central not #1? I am sure the coaches over there are using that as motivation. I can see the case for Mentor being #1. They have played a very good schedule. But so has PC.
Honestly it's a toss up for the top 3 spots and that top 3 is currently accurate. Could be any order. Who knows. I doubt the PC coaches even want the kids to read into any rankings.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-04-18, 08:17 AM
Lefthook37 Lefthook37 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 08-14-16
Posts: 100
Lefthook37 is on a distinguished road
That's why they have the play off's an do it on the field not by polls How many have Massillon won since they started playing for real ZIP ZERO NOTHING they claim 24 right COME ON MAN!!!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-04-18, 08:40 AM
Harrycrane Harrycrane is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-27-16
Posts: 4,115
Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Mentor has the best two wins and they are kicking the crap out of everyone else .

1} Mentor


2} Colerain


3} PC
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-04-18, 09:19 AM
tom 48 tom 48 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-06
Posts: 4,732
tom 48 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitSulHer View Post
IMO how is Pick Central not #1? I am sure the coaches over there are using that as motivation. I can see the case for Mentor being #1. They have played a very good schedule. But so has PC.
Being #1 only counts after the playoffs. Until then, it is meaningless.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-04-18, 11:00 AM
MitSulHer MitSulHer is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-18-07
Location: UA
Posts: 1,240
MitSulHer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom 48 View Post
Being #1 only counts after the playoffs. Until then, it is meaningless.
Okay, whatever. I am not from PC or a fan of PC. There IS a poll and i was making a comment about the poll.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-04-18, 11:47 AM
CardinalsFan's Avatar
CardinalsFan CardinalsFan is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-15-01
Location: 8801 Cheviot Road
Posts: 10,556
CardinalsFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitSulHer View Post
IMO how is Pick Central not #1? I am sure the coaches over there are using that as motivation. I can see the case for Mentor being #1. They have played a very good schedule. But so has PC.
Mentor Current Harbin Avg = 15.517
Colerain Current Harbin Avg = 13.5667
Pick. Central Current Harbin Avg = 17.2298

Your argument would seem to hold water, just based on current harbin averages.

There is an important 3 game stretch coming up for these three teams:

Pickerington Central
10/5 - A - Lancaster (3-3)
10/12 - H - Pickerington North (4-2)
10/19 - A - Reynoldsburg (6-0)
Combined Opponent Record: 13-5

Colerain
10/5 - A - Mason (5-1)
10/12 - A - Lakota East (4-2)
10/19 - H - Fairfield (5-1)
Combined Opponent Record: 14-4

Mentor
10/5 - H - Shaker Heights (5-1)
10/12 - H - Solon (6-0)
10/19 - A - Euclid (5-1)
Combined Opponent Record: 16-2

We will know a LOT more about these teams after week 9.

-CardinalsFan
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-04-18, 12:27 PM
gocards's Avatar
gocards gocards is offline
This is the year
 
Join Date: 08-31-03
Location: Support the NW Schools
Posts: 15,788
gocards is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalsFan View Post
Mentor Current Harbin Avg = 15.517
Colerain Current Harbin Avg = 13.5667
Pick. Central Current Harbin Avg = 17.2298

Your argument would seem to hold water, just based on current harbin averages.

There is an important 3 game stretch coming up for these three teams:

Pickerington Central
10/5 - A - Lancaster (3-3)
10/12 - H - Pickerington North (4-2)
10/19 - A - Reynoldsburg (6-0)
Combined Opponent Record: 13-5

Colerain
10/5 - A - Mason (5-1)
10/12 - A - Lakota East (4-2)
10/19 - H - Fairfield (5-1)
Combined Opponent Record: 14-4

Mentor
10/5 - H - Shaker Heights (5-1)
10/12 - H - Solon (6-0)
10/19 - A - Euclid (5-1)
Combined Opponent Record: 16-2

We will know a LOT more about these teams after week 9.

-CardinalsFan

I don't think we will know much more about these three teams until after week 11 unless there is a major upset.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2018 Football Poll Voting Open (Week 2) Yappi Football 1 09-02-18 10:17 AM
2018 Football Poll Voting (Week 1) Yappi Football 0 08-26-18 01:24 AM
2018 Preseason Football Poll Voting Yappi Football 0 08-08-18 07:00 PM
Personal Responsibility 14Red General Board 117 03-21-18 04:03 PM
D VII State Semifinal: St. Paul (13-0) vs Minster (9-4) EagleFan Football 130 11-27-17 08:26 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz